• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokédex 3D app coming to 3DS: Free downloadable Pokédex app to be available at 3DS eS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pokédex 3D app coming to 3DS: Free downloadable Pokédex app to be available at 3D

WUUUUTTT. Augmented reality? *rushes to buy 3DS*

Re: Pokédex 3D app coming to 3DS: Free downloadable Pokédex app to be available at 3D

This sure justifies the reson for lifting the pokédex applications, but I don't get why people are happy at all.

Obviously this is going to be extremely limited. Moreover having to unlock entries (it'll be extremely hard in the occident), just take a look at the screenshot. The base stats are given in bars; I believe the information will be limited to cries, dex entries and MAYBE location.

The only thing there that would interest me sometimes is the location, but everything I would search for in Bulbapedia or the retired apps - learnsets, precise base stats, ev yield, evolutions, etc. - is sure going to be missing, because they don't want us digging in the game (supposedly) hidden/secret data.

Being it that way, I don't even understand why they made this, maybe they had to do something to promote the (at the moment title-lacking) 3ds...
We've already seen that the Pokédex 3D shows the Pokémon's level up moves and evolution lines. Also, at least the bars indicate higher stats better than the ones you find in the official guide books.

What I'd like to know is, will Pokédex 3D have models for shiny Pokémon? After all, the Gen V dex can show shininess.

When it has ALL Pokemon up to Kyurem I'll consider buying a 3Ds. >_>

The only thing there that would interest me sometimes is the location, but everything I would search for in Bulbapedia or the retired apps - learnsets, precise base stats, ev yield, evolutions, etc. - is sure going to be missing, because they don't want us digging in the game (supposedly) hidden/secret data.

Being it that way, I don't even understand why they made this, maybe they had to do something to promote the (at the moment title-lacking) 3ds...

This. It looks nifty, fun and with a clean presentation but otherwise I don't think the new 3DS app is going to replace iPokédex in the data department, for me at least. Base Stats being represented by mere bars and no actual values, no Japanese names of moves, Pokémon and/or abilities, just Unova Pokémon, no Egg moves for GIV, GIV-Move Tutors, no Hidden Abilities shown, no EV yield and no gender ratios? Thanks, but I'll only download it for the sake of it being free. 3D models, cries and all the gimmicks sound hilarious if you plan to include Pokémon on your photos, but for a Pokédex it lacks vital information and features (if I wanted to hear the cries, I would simply open the zukan in my Japanese Black).

Also, months ago I called StreetPass being able to exchange Pokédex info.

I've already called it for usage in Generation VI... in addition to a 2013 resurgence of Pokémon's popularity (and I do NOT mean the correction that happened after the Gen-III drop... this one will be huge [somewhere between "OMG i thotz dat game wuz dead look how dum i wuz" and "1999 is left in the dust"] if they play their cards [no pun or intonation intended] right).

See my post here: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f323/how-will-3ds-affect-future-games-104096/#post3008229

I've already called it for usage in Generation VI... in addition to a 2013 resurgence of Pokémon's popularity (and I do NOT mean the correction that happened after the Gen-III drop... this one will be huge [somewhere between "OMG i thotz dat game wuz dead look how dum i wuz" and "1999 is left in the dust"] if they play their cards [no pun or intonation intended] right).

See my post here: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f323/how-will-3ds-affect-future-games-104096/#post3008229
I dunno about the 2013 thing. Also, I remember making a thread similar to that some time ago...either way, regardless of who predicted it first, we both predicted right.

People need to recognize the difference between StreetPass and SpotPass.

According to what I've read, this game uses SpotPass which basically uses any wifi hotspot, so basically if you have access to even be able to download the Pokédex app in the first place, you also have a spot you can use to unlock more Pokédex entries.

SpotPass uses wifi hotspots, and is different from StreetPass, in which users systems exchange data from system to system when they are in close proximity to each other as the users have their systems in sleep mode.

Therefore you aren't automatically screwed out of a complete pokédex just because you don't live in a highly populated area or attend StreetPass meetups.

Owning a 3ds just got so much better!!!!!!

Actually, the whole augmented reality thing reminds me of a theory I put forth on how the "real" Pokedex works (though that was based on facial recognition software). I wonder how much space this will take up on the unit.

This. It looks nifty, fun and with a clean presentation but otherwise I don't think the new 3DS app is going to replace iPokédex in the data department, for me at least. Base Stats being represented by mere bars and no actual values, no Japanese names of moves, Pokémon and/or abilities, just Unova Pokémon, no Egg moves for GIV, GIV-Move Tutors, no Hidden Abilities shown, no EV yield and no gender ratios? Thanks, but I'll only download it for the sake of it being free. 3D models, cries and all the gimmicks sound hilarious if you plan to include Pokémon on your photos, but for a Pokédex it lacks vital information and features (if I wanted to hear the cries, I would simply open the zukan in my Japanese Black).

This app obviously isn't designed for the hardcore, competitive pokemon player. It's designed as an extra toy or feature to use on a kid pokemon fan's new shiny 3ds their parents bought them. It's supposed to be a gimmick, that's why it's free. And honestly, it is pretty cool, and has a lot of features for being freeware. Not to mention having all the level up moves, TM/HM moves, basic stat layouts, and pokedex entries, not to mention the AR feature, is probably more than what the casual, target audience player will need. For those of us who are more interested in IV's and EV's and Gen IV move tutor moves, we will always have bulbapedia and sites of the sort that are targeted for us. This little app is not.

Anyway, this does look pretty cool, and has a nice presentation. Too bad I don't plan on getting a 3ds anytime soon.

Even though I don't have a 3DS just yet, I think it looks tight. I find it funny how after the
fan-made Pokedex app incident they do this XD

Can't wait to get a 3DS ;)

I've noticed that Pokédex 3D isn't listed as a launch title for the Japanese eShop. Does that mean that either the US/UK are getting this first, or that it's a Western exclusive?

This sounds awesome! I just have to figure out how to work WiFi on a DS... I have never managed it. so, it'll be something to work on when I get a 3DS.

3D augmented reality Pokedex! Expect to see Ash and Pokedex holograms on the anime soon. lol

The models aren't static, at least not the in-game ones.

I am guessing this is why TPCi decided to pull off the iPhone Pokedex app, because they wanted to make their own app and did not want competition, the only problem is that the iPhone app covered all 649 while the coming 3DS app only covers the 153 Pokemon of Gen V, I think TPCi no longer cares about the previous generations of Pokemon anymore.....

Sounds great, but there's a couple things I'm disappointed about:

1. It's only Gen. V. Come on, really?
2. You only start with 16 entries? Great. I'm sure many others will do what I plan to do and get a list of the QR codes and scan them all rather than bother with this SpotPass and trading nonsense. No one I know has a 3DS anyway.
3. Based on those screenshots, it doesn't show the Pokemon's base stats, just a rough estimation. It's great to know what moves a Pokemon can learn, sure, but that's not really of use to me if I don't have its base stats to indicate what moves I should choose.

So, in short, the app's only use will be to look at 3D models of Unova Pokemon. Since the 3DS Internet browser is being released in the same update, I can just use that to get the information I want from Bulbapedia. No sense wasting time using this for information since it doesn't really give you any.

1. Obviously, Nintendo no longer cares about past generations of Pokemon, or at least they no longer care about past gen Pokemon that aren't named Pikachu, but will after Gen V ends.
2. It could be worse, you could have started with no entries at all.
3. Meaning that we will all have to buy a B/W strategy guide or look up their data on a fansite in order to know.

I agree, it's pretty much a useless app while the iPhone app was actually useful, since it covered all the generations rather than just one.....

The models aren't static, at least not the in-game ones.
You sure? Out of the screenshots we've been given, there are 2 with Snivy and 2 with Tepig. They're taken from different angles, but I'm pretty sure they're in the same pose.

EDIT: Just seen the new ones, with jumping Tepig. Still, there's nothing to suggest that they actually move; it could be like the Star/Mii Pics, where they're static, but have different poses.

EDIT 2: Yeah, just seen the official press release. They move.
This exciting new application lets you see each Pokémon in 3D with animated motion and sound.

Last edited:

I wonder if this is the Pokemon thing they were supposedly working on for the 3DS. I mean, sure people say its an app, but there seems to be a blurry line between what people call an app and a game on iPhones.

In any case, there's still the Wii one to look forward to.

Well, it has game elements (Like SpotPass, StreetPass and Augmented Reality).

I really don't understand why people are calling this "useless".

First of all its free, and its the one of the first pieces of software available for this system only months after launch, and compiling all this data for hundreds of characters is quite a time consuming process, and mind you this isn't just compiling and reorganizing data from other sites, actually this is actually programming in features like Spot Pass and augmented reality, and building all these purpose built polygonal models from scratch.

Sure THIS dex only has the Unova Pokémon, but its clearly just the beginning, and with that in mind I'd say its quite ambitious. I'll be shocked if later editions of this software don't, possible pay-for versions, will have more and eventually ALL the Pokémon unlockable in it.

I can only hope future versions of this application can interact directly with the actual in-game Pokédexes of yet to be released RPGs, unlocking Pokémon as you actually catch them.

Cool! I can't wait until the eShop comes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom