• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokédex speculation

So, when the original DP came out, there were 493 Pokémon in all, and only a mere 50 were not obtainable in DP in some way. (By the way, Tangela was one of those 50 - Tangela, who received a new evolution in DP good lord GF what were you doing back then??)

I really don’t expect these games to have a roster of 443 species. That’s a lot - three times what was present in the Kanto Dex of LGPE, which I think is highly optimistic for games that are clearly a smaller and lower-priority job. But at the same time, Porygon-Z in the trailer shows us that we can expect more than what was strictly available in the original Sinnoh Dex.

So I expect a sort of middle ground here. Only between 210 and 300 species total will be programmed into the game at all, but we will see the species from the Platinum expansion, as well as Heatran, Regigigas, Giratina, Cresselia, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus. And if Regigigas is in, then I think we can also probably expect Regirock, Regice, and Registeel as requirements to unlock it. Maybe not Regieleki and Regidrago, but that’d certainly be cool.

I’m guessing they’ll throw Sylveon in too because why not, and maybe the Kanto bird trio as well. I’m more interested to see how they handle the Mythical Pokémon. LGPE only had two to worry about and shunted them off into peripheral devices, but these games will presumably need to find room for four. And how willing will they be to include them in-game (à la Deoxys and Keldeo) rather than exploiting them as incentives to buy other things? For instance, I could definitely see Arceus being unobtainable in BDSP until Legends: Arceus comes out - to incentivize purchases of LA, perhaps having LA save data will retroactively open up an event in BDSP that allows you to access the Hall of Origin (and frankly if they use that as an opportunity to reference and tie in some of the new lore from LA, that’d be really awesome).

That being said, for as much as these games seem to be aping LGPE in terms of visual style, the mechanics are clearly a different story. Wild battles exist. Abilities are in. Presumably held items are too, especially if Arceus is here because its Ability relies on that. I would imagine that breeding is also here, since babies were well-established by the time of DP. So it is quite possible, I suppose, that the Pokémon in these games will have the same data structure and composition as in the traditional games, meaning - potentially - that a Pokémon from Sword or Shield could be imported into BDSP smoothly. All of which is to say that maybe they’re not as concerned about making things like Darkrai or the Regi trio available internally, if those can be brought in via Pokémon HOME.

So I'm going to assume right off the bat any Sinnoh pokemon not in the DP regional dex will still make it in, such as Porygon-Z in the trailer. However I don't think they'll be using the Platinum expansion. Porygon-Z is handwaved away easily as it would be really dumb to cut a Sinnoh native pokemon just because it wasn't part of the regional pokedex. Also any pokemon obtained in the post game or dual slot mode is a maybe (as porygon was obtainable in the trophy garden of DP) With that said heres my predictions, if not during the main game I think these pokemon will atleast be obtainable in the post game like in DP but heres hoping they see that would be stupid and just include them in the regional dex

100% are in
All 151 sinnoh regional dex pokemon
Rotom
Gardevoir line (because of Gallade)
Likitung line
Togepi line
Magnemite and Tangela line
Yanma line
Rhyhorn line
Duskull line
Porygon line
Electabuzz line
Magmar line
Swinub line
Tangela line
Snorunt line
Nosepass line
Gligar line
Eevee (up to atleast Leafeon and Glaceon)
Magnemite line
Giratina
Heatran
Regirock (needed for regigigas may be transfer only )
Regice (needed for regigigas may be transfer only)
Registeel (needed for regigigas may be transfer only)
Regigigas
Darkai
Shaymin
Arceus
Creslia

May be in
New add ones related to Sinnoh
Regieleki ( Could be needed for Regigigas but could also be hand waved away as it wasn't needed originally, may be transfer only)
Regidraco ( Could be needed for Regigigas but could also be hand waved away as it wasn't needed originally, may be transfer only)
Sylveon (Eevee evolution but could be left out as it wasn't originally in Sinnoh)
Mega evolutions found in Sinnoh (ala let's go)
Geodude line (Alola form of a pokemon in the sinnoh dex)
Ponyta line(Galar form of a pokemon in the sinnoh dex)
Raichu Alola (Alola form of a pokemon in the sinnoh dex)

Dual Slot Maybes (likely post game additions not in the regional dex)
Seedot line
Mawile
Solrock
Lunatone
Zangoose
Sevipier
Lotad line
Sableye
Caterpie line
Ekans line
Growlithe
Weedle line
Sandshrew line (with possible alola form)
Vulpix line (with possible alola form)
Teddiursa line
Pinceo line
Shuckle
Gastly line

ANY POKEMON THAT COULD BE FOUND ON THE POST GAME ISLAND
To lazy to go through that whole list but if it could be found in the post game natively without transferring or trading from Platinum or HGSS it has a chance.

Any Pokemon from 1-493
Once again since they were all technically in the original DP its possible we get a national dex but only for what was in the games at the time, like Mystery dungeon DX which includes all 383 found in gen 3 at the time and some gen 4 pokemon that got added in later (and Lucario cause the statue reward at the end of the original)

I’ll laugh if they add regional variants to the Sinnoh Pokédex just to avoid giving us the Platinum expansion.

I’ll laugh if they add regional variants to the Sinnoh Pokédex just to avoid giving us the Platinum expansion.
We pretty much already know that we’re getting the Platinum expansion because Porygon-Z was shown. (I know it could be post game and we don’t know that we’re getting the full expansion but...it’s most likely).

We pretty much already know that we’re getting the Platinum expansion because Porygon-Z was shown. (I know it could be post game and we don’t know that we’re getting the full expansion but...it’s most likely).
Porygon-Z is from gen 4, though. Its exclusion would be bonkers.

Other non-gen 4 additions from Plt would give a better sign..

Anyway, I wonder if some new Pokémon can be transferfed post-game.

One of the faults that DP had was that the Sinnoh Pokedex was a mess, specially cause the majority of the new evolutions had to wait untill you had the National Dex to be obtained.

That's why Platinum is a far better game to me. Since I had Platinum I never replayed Diamond and Pearl.

So I'm going to assume right off the bat any Sinnoh pokemon not in the DP regional dex will still make it in, such as Porygon-Z in the trailer. However I don't think they'll be using the Platinum expansion. Porygon-Z is handwaved away easily as it would be really dumb to cut a Sinnoh native pokemon just because it wasn't part of the regional pokedex. Also any pokemon obtained in the post game or dual slot mode is a maybe (as porygon was obtainable in the trophy garden of DP) With that said heres my predictions, if not during the main game I think these pokemon will atleast be obtainable in the post game like in DP but heres hoping they see that would be stupid and just include them in the regional dex

100% are in
All 151 sinnoh regional dex pokemon
Rotom
Gardevoir line (because of Gallade)
Likitung line
Togepi line
Magnemite and Tangela line
Yanma line
Rhyhorn line
Duskull line
Porygon line
Electabuzz line
Magmar line
Swinub line
Tangela line
Snorunt line
Nosepass line
Gligar line
Eevee (up to atleast Leafeon and Glaceon)
Magnemite line
Giratina
Heatran
Regirock (needed for regigigas may be transfer only )
Regice (needed for regigigas may be transfer only)
Registeel (needed for regigigas may be transfer only)
Regigigas
Darkai
Shaymin
Arceus
Creslia

May be in
New add ones related to Sinnoh
Regieleki ( Could be needed for Regigigas but could also be hand waved away as it wasn't needed originally, may be transfer only)
Regidraco ( Could be needed for Regigigas but could also be hand waved away as it wasn't needed originally, may be transfer only)
Sylveon (Eevee evolution but could be left out as it wasn't originally in Sinnoh)
Mega evolutions found in Sinnoh (ala let's go)
Geodude line (Alola form of a pokemon in the sinnoh dex)
Ponyta line(Galar form of a pokemon in the sinnoh dex)
Raichu Alola (Alola form of a pokemon in the sinnoh dex)

Dual Slot Maybes (likely post game additions not in the regional dex)
Seedot line
Mawile
Solrock
Lunatone
Zangoose
Sevipier
Lotad line
Sableye
Caterpie line
Ekans line
Growlithe
Weedle line
Sandshrew line (with possible alola form)
Vulpix line (with possible alola form)
Teddiursa line
Pinceo line
Shuckle
Gastly line

ANY POKEMON THAT COULD BE FOUND ON THE POST GAME ISLAND
To lazy to go through that whole list but if it could be found in the post game natively without transferring or trading from Platinum or HGSS it has a chance.

Any Pokemon from 1-493
Once again since they were all technically in the original DP its possible we get a national dex but only for what was in the games at the time, like Mystery dungeon DX which includes all 383 found in gen 3 at the time and some gen 4 pokemon that got added in later (and Lucario cause the statue reward at the end of the original)
Good Write up, I would add Mr. Rime and Galarian Mr. Mime as well to that list. Sylveon and Mr. Rime are the only two additions of Pokemon that were already in the Pokedex. Might also want to give a nod to the Poke Radar and swarms.

Porygon-Z is from gen 4, though. Its exclusion would be bonkers.

Other non-gen 4 additions from Plt would give a better sign..

Anyway, I wonder if some new Pokémon can be transferfed post-game.
Yup, I noted that:
swiftgallade46 said:
(I know it could be post game and we don’t know that we’re getting the full expansion but...it’s most likely)
It’s still what’s most likely in my opinion, but we’ll see.

Still holding on hope that the National Dex will include all 898 Pokémon instead of just the 493 that were at the time. There'd still be a lot of Pokémon trapped in Pokémon HOME if we can't transfer Unova, Kalos or Alola Pokémon into Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. I hope the regional Dex is expanded beyond the Platinum Dex to include Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus, but with the games faithful to the story, I don't know how they are going to put quests for those Legendary and Mythical Pokémon before the National Dex. And Giratina may be a post-game legendary since this is Diamond & Pearl, and not Platinum. Giratina would end up in Turnback Cave and not the Distortion World. And I've always been stumped about Heatran's inclusion because it's caught in the Battle Zone. Why did GameFreak make so many Sinnoh Pokémon exclusive to the National Dex?

I think that all of the Pokemon that were previously obtainable through Dual Slot mode will be added to the Sinnoh Dex because it is no longer possible on the Switch. Besides the Elekid, Magby, and Gligar lines which got new evolutions, this will also include the Lotad, Seedot, Pineco, Teddiursa, Caterpie, Ekans, Growlithe, Weedle, Sandshrew, and Vulpix lines, as well as Sableye/Mawile, Zangoose/Seviper, Lunatone/Solrock, and Shuckle will all be added to the Sinnoh Dex.

This is what I'm hoping for. A revised Platinum Dex with a few additions and a more intuitive numbering system. I shared this spreadsheet on the remake speculation thread a while back but I've been improving it today, slotting the Platinum Pokémon (which I've highlighted in blue) into more appropriate places. My new additions (Ditto, Sylveon, the Regi trio and the missing Gen 4 legendaries) are highlighted in red.

Now we know that these games are going to be very faithful re-creations of the originals, I don't know how likely it is that they'll do something like this, but I can hope!

Last edited:
I think that all of the Pokemon that were previously obtainable through Dual Slot mode will be added to the Sinnoh Dex because it is no longer possible on the Switch. Besides the Elekid, Magby, and Gligar lines which got new evolutions, this will also include the Lotad, Seedot, Pineco, Teddiursa, Caterpie, Ekans, Growlithe, Weedle, Sandshrew, and Vulpix lines, as well as Sableye/Mawile, Zangoose/Seviper, Lunatone/Solrock, and Shuckle will all be added to the Sinnoh Dex.

I don't understand your logic about the dual slot non-Sinnoh Dex Pokemon needing to be added to the Sinnoh Dex. Those Pokemon could just be found in other ways during the post-game when/if we get the National Dex. But even if there isn't any official National Dex, I don't see why those other Pokemon need to be added to the Sinnoh Dex itself. The Island Scan Pokemon from Alola weren't added to the Alola Dex for instance, so I'm not following your reasoning.

I don't understand your logic about the dual slot non-Sinnoh Dex Pokemon needing to be added to the Sinnoh Dex. Those Pokemon could just be found in other ways during the post-game when/if we get the National Dex. But even if there isn't any official National Dex, I don't see why those other Pokemon need to be added to the Sinnoh Dex itself. The Island Scan Pokemon from Alola weren't added to the Alola Dex for instance, so I'm not following your reasoning.
Well, they are already available on many routes pre-National Dex, just locked behind an obscene method that can't exist anymore thanks to the change in hardware. The easiest solution is to add them to the normal table of wild encounters for their respective areas.

I feel they're more likely to be added to another method, like Poke Radar or maybe become regular encounters in postgame locations. Given the claim of being "faithful", their chance of being in the Sinnoh Dex is unlikely.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom