• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokédex speculation

Other regions don't ask you to complete the regional dex before moving on to the post-game. But in Sinnoh, you have to complete the Sinnoh Dex before moving on to the post-game content. It wouldn't be as faithful of a remake to not give you a National Dex for seeing all the Pokémon in the Sinnoh Dex. But all the other regions include their Legendaries and Mythicals in their regional dex so why should those seven Sinnoh Legends be kept out of their own regional dex? That's not much a dilemma, I would like the challenge of completing an expanded Sinnoh Dex.
I really don’t think it’s that big of a deal that it isn’t in the Dex. But what I was saying is to just include it in the Dex even if you can’t see or obtain it until post game anyway. That’s how many Pokémon are in other regions.

I know this likely won’t happen given the current amount of information we have, but I’d still like to see Sinnoh Forms of Pokémon from Gen 5-8 in these games just so people have a justification for buying these games instead of feeling like they’re being fed glorified remasters as filler until we get Legends: Arceus (which would be the worst outcome). Just imagine a Steel/Fire Sinnohnian Toucannon!

The more I think about it, the more I really don't want Sinnoh forms in this game lol.
I'd rather they add Pokemon that weren't native to the Sinnoh dex (but make sense region or lore-wise) than introduce forms in Sinnoh. I don't really have a logical or thought-out reason for this opinion either, I'd just rather not seem them happening :unsure:

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I really don't want Sinnoh forms in this game lol.
I'd rather they add Pokemon that weren't native to the Sinnoh dex (but make sense region or lore-wise) than introduce forms in Sinnoh. I don't really have a logical or thought-out reason for this opinion either, I'd just rather not seem them happening :unsure:
Regional forms of Gen 5-8 Pokémon could be saved for Generation 9 where we have a brand new region with new Pokémon.
Both of these are pretty fair opinions, and I might have even agreed in other circumstances, or at least if we got new Mega Evolutions. However, there’s also the issue of marketing; just having random additions with existing species might not generate enough hype in the marketing department. Sure, it would be a nice gesture, but it also doesn’t offer much more than a blurb since other remakes (sans LGPE aside from GO’s Mythical Pokémon) have updated the amount of Pokémon usable in the remakes compared to the originals.

After the initial reveal trailer, BDSP currently have a reputation for possibly only providing the bare minimum in terms of additions (quality of life and updated mechanics) since they used words like “faithful” and “carefully preserved” to describe these games. Granted, this was only in reference to the story and map design, but the lack of differences shown in the trailer makes a lot of fans fear that these remakes will be closer to remasters in comparison to prior remakes. This notion needs to be debunked in order to avoid the “just play Platinum” trap that ended up happening with the original DP.

There’s a lot that can be done to avoid this, but the most likely ones that fit the current TPCi mindset are either a) introduce new Mega Evolutions or b) add regional variants or some other type of new form into the Sinnoh Pokédex. If neither of those are added into BDSP, then we would have to hope for some of the more unlikely options like a Battle Frontier or some other new feature that gets fans excited enough to justify their purchase. Since TPCi’s current mindset is against these sort of involved additions, they would have to rely on either new Megas or new forms in order to justify the purchase for older fans.

Otherwise, what could they really market? The same stuff they did for DP? That might not work as well as they think.

Last edited:
I really hope they don't end up being remasters of the original Diamond and Pearl. I agree that they should have more features to generate hype, but they don't need Sinnohan forms. After the disappointment of Dexit, many fans would be happy if the return of the National Pokédex was announced, especially with all 898 Pokémon.

Both of these are pretty fair opinions, and I might have even agreed in other circumstances, or at least if we got new Mega Evolutions. However, there’s also the issue of marketing; just having random additions with existing species might not generate enough hype in the marketing department. Sure, it would be a nice gesture, but it also doesn’t offer much more than a blurb since other remakes (sans LGPE aside from GO’s Mythical Pokémon) have updated the amount of Pokémon usable in the remakes compared to the originals.

After the initial reveal trailer, BDSP currently have a reputation for possibly only providing the bare minimum in terms of additions (quality of life and updated mechanics) since they used words like “faithful” and “carefully preserved” to describe these games. Granted, this was only in reference to the story and map design, but the lack of differences shown in the trailer makes a lot of fans fear that these remakes will be closer to remasters in comparison to prior remakes. This notion needs to be debunked in order to avoid the “just play Platinum” trap that ended up happening with the original DP.

There’s a lot that canbe done to avoid this, but the most likely ones that fit the current TPCi mindset are either a) introduce new Mega Evolutions or b) add regional variants or some other type of new form into the Sinnoh Pokédex. If neither of those are added into BDSP, then we would have to hope that some of the more unlikely options like a Battle Frontier or some other new feature that gets fans excited enough to justify their purchase. Since TPCi’s current mindset is against these sort of involved additions, they would have to rely on either new Megas or new forms in order to justify the purchase for older fans.

Otherwise, what could they really market? The same stuff they did for DP? That might not work as well as they think.
I completely understand where you're coming from and your rationale with wanting something else other than a "bare-bones" remake makes complete and total sense for me. I would also be kind of disappointed if there are no other additional features added to the game to really liven it up; if there was one generation that would drastically benefit from added features for better QOL, Gen IV and D/P would be my answer every. single. time.

That being said, I just can't envision Sinnoh forms for some reason lol. The concept just doesn't make sense to me. Ofc they can retcon and fit whatever story they want to stay consistent with the narrative of the game, but unless this were a sequel or prequel to the games, I couldn't find much justification for their presence other than adding something new to the game. I like the idea of them changing plot elements or adding new areas/facilities that weren't in the original games a lot, but with the message of commitment to faithfulness to the OG pairs, I'm kind of skeptical that could happen.

Now, with that being said, I'm not going to be mad or meltdown internally if they're included. Like I've said on another thread, although I'm not the biggest fan of regional forms I still like them and usually incorporate them on my in-game teams, so it wouldn't necessarily change that aspect of gameplay for me.

Honestly I just expect the Platinum dex and nothing more or less than that.

Disappointing, but not as disappointing as the original Sinnoh Dex.

In an earlier post, I said that I thought a full Gen 4 National Dex (Bulbasaur to Arceus) was a "maybe". But the more I think about it, the more likely it seems.

In the Pokemon Presents, the narrator says, "In these games, you can enjoy a grand adventure together with all the Pokemon from Pokemon Diamond Version and Pokemon Pearl Version." She seems to put emphasis on the word "all". I don't think they would have asked her to say that if only the Sinnoh Dex was included.

Plus the fact, what sort of remake doesn't include all the Pokemon that were in the original? Let's Go only got away with its limited roster because that was all that was available in Yellow.

It would still be great to see every Pokémon in the Pokédex without trading or evolving.

This is actually one of my biggest hopes for the game. It might seem like a minor detail, but it's one of my favourite things about Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. I hope that we can still get a diploma for seeing every Pokemon, even if it isn't a requirement for accessing the Battle Zone anymore.

In an earlier post, I said that I thought a full Gen 4 National Dex (Bulbasaur to Arceus) was a "maybe". But the more I think about it, the more likely it seems.

In the Pokemon Presents, the narrator says, "In these games, you can enjoy a grand adventure together with all the Pokemon from Pokemon Diamond Version and Pokemon Pearl Version." She seems to put emphasis on the word "all". I don't think they would have asked her to say that if only the Sinnoh Dex was included.

IF that's the case, then I can finally use some of my Gen 6-7 mons in a Switch game rather than having them sit around in HOME

(I just wanna use the Totodile that I got in a Wonder Box too, but since I don't have a Gen 5 game atm I can't actually port anyone actually from Johto unless I get one of the VC Gen II games, and I just bought and have yet to play Red so)

When she said all the Pokémon from Diamond and Pearl, I really hope she doesn't mean only those Pokémon.

I think it'll be all 493 from Diamond and Pearl, plus a few extras. Sylveon, Perrserker, Sirfetch'd, Obstagoon, Mr. Rime, Regieleki, Regidrago and the Unova starters (because of Oshawott's inclusion in Legends: Arceus) are probably the most likely candidates.

If Perrserker, Sirfetch'd, Obstagoon and Mr. Rime are available, then so will the Galarian forms, and probably the Alolan forms too. Mega Evolutions are also a possibility. Anything more than that is, I suspect, unlikely.

Honestly, I find a complete National Pokédex more likely than just the original 493 and a few extras. They'd only do that to commit to GameFreak's controversial decision.

Honestly, I find a complete National Pokédex more likely than just the original 493 and a few extras. They'd only do that to commit to GameFreak's controversial decision.
I don't really see a studio that, at least to me, clearly has less resources than GameFreak, has Masuda as director if I remember correctly, and has explicitly stated that all Pokémon from the original Diamond and Pearl instead of all Pokémon in total, is going to implement the full 'dex. The developers said that the 'dex cut is a policy moving forward, and I'd imagine that other studios that also pick up the main Pokémon IP would follow suit. Why spend valuable resources on implementing all Pokémon when the main studio got away without (just look at game sales) and clearly stated it's now a policy? Respectfully, I think you will be disappointed if you're expecting to see the full National Pokédex to be in these games.

And I'd like to note that "Dexit was controversial" isn't an argument for the full 'dex being in these games. Internet outrage clearly did not translate to anything that could have had a meaningful impact on internal decisions like that: SwSh was the most successful Pokémon games since Gold and Silver despite having the cut. Sure, the developers probably took note of the backlash, but since there wasn't any sort of real punishment by fans I don't think we will see the National Pokédex in the near future.

Last edited:
Coding Pokémon into the game isn’t something that can be done with the snap of a finger; it takes time and effort, and the more Pokémon there are, the more time and effort it takes. Eventually, there become so many Pokémon that a wall is hit, and that’s why Dexit happened, and why it will continue to happen. Fundamentally, it’s not even really a policy so much as GF just accepting reality. ILCA can’t just say, “Nah, we don’t like that, we’re adding all the Pokémon.” They’d run into the exact same issues.

The only way we’ll be seeing every Pokémon in a single game again is if they commit to patching them in through post-release updates and DLC. But it’s not even clear right now if the last 230 are going to make it into SwSh, and I would think BDSP would be an even lower priority.

Respectfully, people have told you several times why this very likely isn’t happening and you haven’t come up with any new arguments or rebuttals as to why it’s at all likely for us to get all 898 in BDSP of all things. You’re free to cling to this expectation if you want, but at least cease being repetitive, please.

They're not gonna do that

I honestly find it unlikely that we'll even have the 493, and we'll just have the Pokemon you could find in the wild/get gifted/could trade for in Platinum. But as stated above, if we do get the 493, I'll be thrilled to reuse some old friends

They're not gonna do that

I honestly find it unlikely that we'll even have the 493, and we'll just have the Pokemon you could find in the wild/get gifted/could trade for in Platinum. But as stated above, if we do get the 493, I'll be thrilled to reuse some old friends
I think that the game would have all 493 because it would be weird if the games had less Pokemon available than the originals did.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom