• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokedex Update

GrumpyShaymin

Not an Anime Artist
Reaction score
New information has shown that several Pokemon have changed Pokedex numbers in the Alola Pokedex in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (i.e. Rockruff, Necrozma). Necrozma's regional number has changed dramatically from 300 to 400, good evidence that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon will have a much larger Pokedex and the possibility of new Pokemon/Alola forms yet to be announced. What do you think? This is all just speculation, remember, but I think it's possible that since we already have two confirmed new Ultra Beasts, new Pokemon or Alola forms aren't out of the picture.

Since Necrozma is 400, that means that there's 402 Pokémon in total if you count Marshadow and Margearna. So it'll be an increase of 100 Pokémon with 2 being Burst and Assembly.

It doesn't feel like a big improvement considering that Unova jumped from 152 to 293, excluding Mythicals (and the app-exclusive Kami trio in B2W2). They basically doubled themselves there. But I guess Alola is smaller, and some of B2W2's additions were locked to the post-game, so maybe it will feel different when I'm actually playing it.

Of course, aside from the obvious point of Alola Forms, it really depends on how many (if any) of the currently included Pokémon are removed in favor of other ones. For instance, I think everyone has caught their pseudo-legendaries now, so do we really need five of them still clogging up the regional pipes?

Hopefully some of the additions tie into new/expanded areas, like the inside of Wela Volcano.

It would also be nice if some Pokemon that haven't been in a regional dex outside their own region, or haven't been in a regional dex for a long time, would show up. Things like Joltik, Seedot, Tynamo, Krabby, Venonat, Cacnea, Shinx, Darumaka.

Going by Rockruff's number, it looks like Melemele should get ~20 new additions. However, there was that trainer using a Lv.10 Murkrow, so maybe some of the existing Alolan dex will be swapped around too.

It doesn't feel like a big improvement considering that Unova jumped from 152 to 293, excluding Mythicals (and the app-exclusive Kami trio in B2W2). They basically doubled themselves there. But I guess Alola is smaller, and some of B2W2's additions were locked to the post-game, so maybe it will feel different when I'm actually playing it.
To be honest, I'm fine with having a smaller expansion. The way I see it, too many old Pokemon in the region make it harder for the new ones to stand out. And it would likely bring in a lot of filler mon that don't have a lot of use.

For the Dex expansion, here's a list of what I want to see added
  • Woobat, Swoobat, Noibat, Noivern: The Noibat line were shafted in XY and didn't appear in ORAS. Adding these two lines would also make cave exploration a little more fun. Fuck Zubat's overuse.
  • Krabby and Kingler: Alola needs more crabs.
  • Fossil Pokemon: A couple more for the Dex. Maybe more, if the dinosaur park ends up being established. Bonus points if they're Alola forms of fossil Pokemon.
  • Cacnea, Cacturne, Maractus: Haina Desert's honestly so bare. And there are cacti in Hawaii, IIRC.
  • Smoochum, Jynx, Snover, Abomasnow, Cryogonal: Just to spice up Tapu Village and Mt. Lanakila. I could see Smoochum and Snover being available even earlier in the game, giving us more options for Ice types.
  • Joltik and Galvantula: As Zeb said. They could be found around or inside the power plant area. It's be funny if they were inside and part of a display, but some escaped and can be found running about.
  • Drilbur and Excadrill: Just have the moles destroy the ecosystem and wipe out all of the Tapus.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm fine with having a smaller expansion. The way I see it, too many old Pokemon in the region make it harder for the new ones to stand out. And it would likely bring in a lot of filler mon that don't have a lot of use.

Yeah, that is a good point. In thinking about it, while I like having a heaping mass of options to choose from, I am less concerned with stuffing new things into the Pokédex than I am with modifying the existing selection. I don't think we need to have like 60% of it being Pokémon from Kanto yet again, or for it to include all of the aforementioned pseudo-legendaries.

Heh, I was just saying to someone before the trailer appeared how I wanted Larvesta to be added. Some of the additions are pretty good, but Houndoom and Manectric are whatever. (These two make me wonder if the games going to have version exclusive Mega Stones again?)

Heracross being added is something I didn't expect. Vikavolt is supposed to be Pinsir's rival in Alola, so now there's a third wheel to the rivalry.

These are the ones from the trailers so far:

-Mienfoo, Mienshao
-Mantyke, Mantine
-Heracross
-Dedenne
-Tropius
-Larvesta, Volcarona
-Mareep, Flaaffy, Ampharos
-Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar
-Zorua, Zoroark
-Houndour, Houndoom
-Electrike, Manectric
-Inkay, Malamar

There's also some on the decorations in the photo mode like Litwick and Swirlix that might be in, too.

Heh, I was just saying to someone before the trailer appeared how I wanted Larvesta to be added.

I like Larvesta and am glad to see it here, but I really wish they would lower its evolution level (same goes for a lot of Unova Pokémon, really - it was nice to see Rufflet and Vullaby available so early in SM, but who's going to keep them on their team all the way up to Lv50?).

-Mienfoo, Mienshao
-Mantyke, Mantine
-Heracross
-Dedenne
-Tropius
-Larvesta, Volcarona
-Mareep, Flaaffy, Ampharos
-Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar
-Zorua, Zoroark
-Houndour, Houndoom
-Electrike, Manectric
-Inkay, Malamar

Remoraid & Octillery would also be in since Mantyke needs Remoraid to evolve.

Counting the new UBs, as well as Mienfoo line, that brings it up to 27 out of 100 of the new additions.

I am angry that most of the new pokemon are pokemon that can mega evolve (Mareep, Houndoom, Larvitar, Heracross etc)
Like Mega evolution is going to be the criteria for choosing what pokemon go into the regional dex?! I hate mega evolution for many reasons and this will probably be one more to that list.

at least Tropius is in and I really wanted to see it in Alola since SUMO, I love that pokemon

Tropius should have been in the original Sun & Moon, thus I'm glad it is back for the retelling.

An expanded Pokedex was expected, given the past formulas for Pokemon games. However, I don't think we will be seeing any new Alolan forms sadly. It seems a lot of additions are just imports from other regions, which is interesting because you would think the increase of non native Alolan Pokemon would spark more adaption and thus Alolan forms.

I really hope they add the Shinx and Togepi lines into the Alola dex. Shinx hasn't been available (during the main story) since Platinum, and we haven't had the chance to use Togepi in game as a Fairy type (last time it was available during the story, it was a normal type)

So with what we've seen today it's clear that Burst & Assembly are the only new UBs.

I'm not too fussed about that, but I really really hope there are al least a few new Alolan Forms in the 100 additions. But hope fades slowly...

Edit: meaning Lulala is #390 and Necrozma #400

Remoraid & Octillery would also be in since Mantyke needs Remoraid to evolve.

Counting the new UBs, as well as Mienfoo line, that brings it up to 27 out of 100 of the new additions.

Well are we assuming that there's only 100 new ones? Because are we certain that the full SM pokedex will also be available here? Or is it more likely to be like ORAS where it kind of filled all the gaps from XY

Well are we assuming that there's only 100 new ones? Because are we certain that the full SM pokedex will also be available here? Or is it more likely to be like ORAS where it kind of filled all the gaps from XY

Necrozma's Dex # is 400 in the new RotomDex toy for USUM, Marshadow's is 402, so yes it'll be 100 additions from what we know about. There'll probably be a new Mythical, so that'd bump it up to #403.

Some of these additions have me suspecting that they'll add all the Pokemon that can Mega Evolve. Probably not the Starters and Legendaries though. Seeing as how the Mega Stones for the corresponding Pokemon in the Alola Dex were all available at the Battle Tree I think they might include everyone just so they can have every Mega Stone available there and not have to rely on the special distributions.

Some of these additions have me suspecting that they'll add all the Pokemon that can Mega Evolve. Probably not the Starters and Legendaries though. Seeing as how the Mega Stones for the corresponding Pokemon in the Alola Dex were all available at the Battle Tree I think they might include everyone just so they can have every Mega Stone available there and not have to rely on the special distributions.
Adding on to this, I don't think that the Lati will added as well.

Back
Top Bottom