• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Horizons General Discussion/Speculation Thread

IMO, I'm in the camp that they're gonna be making new protagonists every series. I feel like they aren't gonna be willing to have them last more than one series because I don't see any future protagonist lasting even a quarter of how long Ash stayed. I feel like once Liko and Roy discover everything there is to know about their respective items, their stories will be over and they'll pass the torch to whoever is next.

So far I'm cautiously optimistic. It seems like this could be a tighter story since they have a single storyline planned for this gen before switching to new characters. I got my fingers crossed that this means we get good character development. Also, I hope Sprigatito doesn't end up being like Piplup and actually evolves. Meowscarada has become one of my favorites

Assuming Liko and Roy will only be capturing Paldea Pokemon, I feel like Liko will capture Wattrel and Charcadet while Roy captures Pawmi.

Quaxly being with Nidothing is really throwing me off, though.

I'd like to see Liko get an Annihilape as a throwback to Ash's Primeape, but I suppose it fits more with the antagonists. Paldean Wooper & Clodsire would be fun on the main cast. I could also see one of them getting a Cyclizar.

Last edited:
I'm also hoping that we get some great rivals, along with some very nice battles. I would like to see some of the future female cast have some nice designs or outfits. I don't want to see any Team Rocket-like moments and look forward to seeing how things turn out overall.

My expectations overall are...tempered. My feelings are pretty split - on the one hand, I still can't fathom the idea of a Pokemon anime that has no Ash, Pikachu, Team Rocket, or any of the other characters we've come to know and love over the years, and I'm afraid that that's going to hinder my enjoyment of Horizons as a whole. On the other hand, it certainly doesn't look like it's going to be BAD; the characters look interesting and the overall premise is intriguing. I'll definitely be giving the first episode a shot, if nothing else. I just hope I'll be able to love it as much as I've adored (most of) the rest of the Pokemon anime all these years.

I don´t want to sound sexist, but, at least for now, she is nothing but a gender swapped Ash. It´s like the producers thought being a girl is already different enough. Add to this the fact that Pokemon is a show predominantly watched by boys and it´s a huge risk that won´t have the payoff they expect. Girls won´t start watching the anime just because it has a girl protagonist and, the ones that will won´t be in a huge enough number. Also, there are lots of girl animes inu Japan like the merchandise behemot Precure who is also running for 20 years and who girls will be more interested in bying products from. Also, I doubt the parents wallet is endless. There´s just to much competion in the girl market, especilly since it also has it´s own long estabelished franchises. Again, I don´t want to sound sexist, but someone has to adress the elephant in the room. There are also lots of boys who are fans and will stop watching beacause of the girl protagonist.
I get that this wasn't your intention, but these are statements that do come off as inherently sexist. Not to mention assuming Liko is a Mary Sue just because she has a special object...ah, yes, it's not like no protagonist in history has ever been special before. This is a narrative devise used to create a storyline. It is not to make Liko seem like she's all perfect.
I´m the kind of fan that keeps this franchise running. Not the bunch of edgy teenagers on twitter who see the episodes on Youtube, complain about it and spend no money. I´m not joking when I say that I alone spend more money on this series than 100 of those guys and that is being generous. However, they are the ones who are catered to.
Children are "catered to" because the anime was quite literally intended for them from the very beginning. It is not fair to put children and teens down just because the anime is going in a direction you don't like.

And as a teen myself, the part about teenagers not spending money on the franchise...yeah, cause some of us can't. The teenagers you're referring to on YouTube...a lot of those mostly consist of pre-teens, meaning they're even less likely to be able to buy things. I'd love to spend money on Pokemon and I'm happy that you got to as much as you did. It's good to be passionate about things you love. Not everyone can afford to do that.
If the anime starts being called girlsh by the «boss» kids at school it´s over. Entire classrooms will stop watching, It´s a documented phenomenom that will undoutfully happen. I guess this is the real (and honestly only) reason for Roy´s existence.
Could you please provide a source for this? I'm a little confused as to how that will happen just by the anime being called "girlish". Or even why just having a female lead automatically MAKES it "girlish".

Look, I understand feeling upset over Ash and Team Rocket leaving the anime, but they cannot realistically stay around forever. Change happens. And honestly, it's healthy to learn to accept change. We as fans should learn to accept this. Ash, Team Rocket, and all the other characters we have learned to love and have made an impact on our lives aren't gone forever. They'll live on in our memories, the fanart, the fanfiction, the occasional special, maybe even the movies...it's the fans that give the show love, after all.

Look, I understand feeling upset over Ash and Team Rocket leaving the anime, but they cannot realistically stay around forever. Change happens. And honestly, it's healthy to learn to accept change. We as fans should learn to accept this. Ash, Team Rocket, and all the other characters we have learned to love and have made an impact on our lives aren't gone forever. They'll live on in our memories, the fanart, the fanfiction, the occasional special, maybe even the movies...it's the fans that give the show love, after all.
Admittedly, I think it was be reasonable to expect Ash and Team Rocket to stay as long as the anime was running prior to this announcement. Change does happen and every series has had various degrees of changes. It's one of the reasons why I never quite understood why people thought that the anime didn't change. But I can understand not being in favor of this decision to a point. Most franchises don't wait decades to start changing their iconic protagonists. This is a big reason why I keep thinking that this happened twenty years too late. Replacing Ash at the end of the original series would have still been a risk, but considerably less so than doing it twenty years later instead and I think more people would have been more open to the idea then as opposed to now. While I don't necessarily expect the new series to fail, I'm also not sure how much payoff they reasonably expect for going in this new direction at this point either.

That being said, I still want to give Horizons a chance. I'm cautiously optimistic at best about it. With another world tour series, I could see it being handled as well it was in Journeys. While I'm glad that the Paldea starters are at the forefront of the marketing, I could still see them ignoring a lot of Paldea Pokemon, characters and locations in favor of showing older regions and Pokemon all over again, which would be a huge shame. I don't want them to just cover the Area Zero portion of the storyline and then effectively ignore Scarlet/Violet like they did with Sword/Shield. While it might not be a prominent location in the series, the fact that Liko's school is set in Kanto yet again is still kind of bothersome and makes me think that they'll still have more Kanto pandering even in this series.

However, there are still some things that sound good about Horizons. I still like Liko and Roy's designs. I'm happy that both Fuecoco and Sprigatito will be the main cast since those were my starters in Scarlet and Violet respectively. I really wanted Ash to get a Fuecoco so bad since it's my favorite Paldea starter, but hopefully Roy's Fuecoco will be cute, fun and ideally evolve at some point down the road. The setup for Liko and Roy's mysteries is potentially interesting. I can understand why some fans are excited over the potential for this series. I don't think that the anime will magically be free of bad writing decisions or that the writing quality will drastically improve just because Ash isn't the lead character anymore, but having a clean slate might be appealing for both new and long time fans. Ideally, the show will still be enjoyable even with different characters at the forefront, but I also can't blame people for being turned off by the decision either.

Going back to the topic of Riko, I would be fine with her if not for the fact she is taking the place of a beloved character after 26 amazing years and, if that wasn´t enough, she is already looking to be a copy of him (read the episode 1 summary about her encounter with Sprigatito). And even worse, she is already starting as a Mary Sue (I don´t like this expression, but I think it fits in this case since she is starting the series with a super duper rare item). I don´t want to sound sexist, but, at least for now, she is nothing but a gender swapped Ash. It´s like the producers thought being a girl is already different enough. Add to this the fact that Pokemon is a show predominantly watched by boys and it´s a huge risk that won´t have the payoff they expect. Girls won´t start watching the anime just because it has a girl protagonist and, the ones that will won´t be in a huge enough number. Also, there are lots of girl animes inu Japan like the merchandise behemot Precure who is also running for 20 years and who girls will be more interested in bying products from. Also, I doubt the parents wallet is endless. There´s just to much competion in the girl market, especilly since it also has it´s own long estabelished franchises. Again, I don´t want to sound sexist, but someone has to adress the elephant in the room. There are also lots of boys who are fans and will stop watching beacause of the girl protagonist. I have first hand accounts of this as I wrote about in a previous post. Japan is still a country whith unfortunetly very defined limits between a boy and a girl. If the anime starts being called girlsh by the «boss» kids at school it´s over. Entire classrooms will stop watching, It´s a documented phenomenom that will undoutfully happen. I guess this is the real (and honestly only) reason for Roy´s existence.
Pokemon hasn't aimed at only boys ever. There are many Pokemon that are clearly aimed at appealing to younger girls and older woman. Hell, Pikachu was chosen as a mascot in the first place because they felt it appealed to both boys and girls. The anime might give that impression since female characters were usually secondary leads but the games themselves have had female MC options since Gen 2. Spinoff web animations like Evolutions have also featured the female trainers as the protagonists. If anything, a female lead is just anipoke matching the rest of the franchise as opposed to doing anything radically different.

I know I will get hate for this, but today I have so many emotions in my chest thats overwhelming.

I´m disgusted with the anime staff PR/whoever that manages their twitter account. Today was the end of a 26 year midsummer night´s dream and what they do? Just promote the new series non stop. Ash was completely removed form the banner and even the Pikachu logo changed to Captain Pikachu. Obviously this needed to happen in the short term to promote the new series, but couldn´t they at least hold it back to next week? Let us old geezers say our goodbyes without being bombarded by the new generation.

To me this just proves they never cared about Ash or us, at least in the last few years. Don´t get illusions, they don´t care about Riko and Roy either. They are an experiment to see if they can win money. Nothing more.

Honestly, it´s making it pretty hard for me to not become a full blown hater of the next series and of some places of the Pokemon online community in general. Add to this the fact that today´s trailer paints Riko as the kind of character I hate the most in all fiction. The character that is special since the beginning, chosed by a higher power/having a special gift (her pendant). Say what you will about Ash, but when he began his journey he wasn´t special neither had something special with him. Further more, her first interactions with Sprigatito will just be a copy of Ash and Pikachu´s first meeting. So much for creativity and a fresh start.

Right now, Friede and the explorers are the only things that interest me. I still don´t have an opinion on Roy, which to me isn´t a good sign.

For the past years I had to deal with people bashing Ash and, above all, Team Rocket. Although I will try my best, I don´t think I will be able to stop myself to do the same to these characters, especially when they took something so important to me.

Once again I appoligize for my outburst, but I really hope this series burns in hell. The fact they are so desperate to pormote it at least shows they aren´t 100% delusional about it´s success and are actually putting on work.
Yeah I understand why your upset but honestly I feel your being way too harsh. They have a musical special coming out next week. Rica has been tweeting about her role as Ash and saying goodbye, they made a 11 episode mini series etc and much more. All the hard work they put in 25 long years. To finallyake Ash the strongest in the entire world.To see all of that and dismiss it and claim they don't care about Ash and his fand because they changed the Twitter banner and then turn around and say you're disgusted by the staff is honestly a bit toxic

And then to turn around and the the exact same thing people have been doing to as and do it to riko just because Ash is leaving (which he should) just sounds like those toxic red fans

Pokemon not liking it's trainer is not an Ash thing. That's a common ass trope in both the games and the anime. It's not even like Rica is saving the weed cat from a bunch of fearows anyways. You're overreacting

And to claim Ash isn't special starting out when in his fist day as a trainer he spotted one of , if not, the rarest Pokemon to ever exist. But then turn around and get upset at liko for just having special pendant is genuinely odd

Yeah I understand why your upset but honestly I feel your being way too harsh. They have a musical special coming out next week. Rica has been tweeting about her role as Ash and saying goodbye, they made a 11 episode mini series etc and much more. All the hard work they put in 25 long years. To finallyake Ash the strongest in the entire world.To see all of that and dismiss it and claim they don't care about Ash and his fand because they changed the Twitter banner and then turn around and say you're disgusted by the staff is honestly a bit toxic

And then to turn around and the the exact same thing people have been doing to as and do it to riko just because Ash is leaving (which he should) just sounds like those toxic red fans

Pokemon not liking it's trainer is not an Ash thing. That's a common ass trope in both the games and the anime. It's not even like Rica is saving the weed cat from a bunch of fearows anyways. You're overreacting

And to claim Ash isn't special starting out when in his fist day as a trainer he spotted one of , if not, the rarest Pokemon to ever exist. But then turn around and get upset at liko for just having special pendant is genuinely odd
I am not turning around to anything. I dont turn around. By biases are laid bare in my comments. I am no hypocrite. Ash was never special. Pikachu was just a normal Pikachu. It became special through hard work. How many pendants like Riko s exist? Appearently not many, because the explorers want it specifically. So yes, for now, she is a Mary Sue. It can change.

As for people calling me sexist, do what you want. Rotulating people who disagree with you is par for the course, even I fall into doing it. It doesmt change the fact I speak the truth. Also, people saying Pokemon is directed to girls is delusion. Yes, they have things catered towards girls but they arent the main focus. If you disagree, you honestly dont have an understanding about japanese culture. Its like saying Super Sentai has girls as a main audience or that Pretty Cure is mainly for boys. They still watch it and have things catered to them, but theu obviously arent the main focus. For Gods sake, just watch the toy commercials. I am mot saying I am totally correct, but no one gave a sound argument against my point. I was just called harsh and sexist.

My points can be incorrect, but I did my studies before forming an opinion. Read about merchandise in the franchise and you will see where I am coming from.

Also I really like being called toxic when fans like me are being harrassed specially on twitter for like 10 years and no one cared. Am I being toxic? Yes. Am I living this more than I should? Yes. But at least I am not am hypocrite. My agendas are open for all to see. I speak with no falsehood, no double meanings and with no purpose to hurt anyone. If the mods think I am too toxic and a problem, they are free to ban me and I will understand and leave.

I will still think what the twitter PR team is disgusting and really hurt an already open wound. So yes, with all the innerent toxicity I want this series to fail.

I am mot saying I am totally correct, but no one gave a sound argument against my point. I was just called harsh and sexist.
It's hard to make an argument against something that has no sources backing that claim up. Take calling Liko a Mary Sue for example. A Mary Sue is a character who is "depicted as unrealistically lacking in flaws or weaknesses"(as per google dictionary) and "usually female and almost always the main character, a Mary Sue is often an author's idealized self-insertion, and may serve as a form of wish-fulfillment"(as per wikipedia). The show has not aired yet, so we haven't been introduced to Liko as a character yet. All we know about her are the basics. The same applies to Friede, Roy, and every other character thus far: we know next to nothing about them. To say that nobody gave a sound argument against your point is disingenuous, since you didn't make any sound argument either. Having special circumstances does not automatically make a character a Mary Sue: the only thing that falls in line with the definition of being one is the fact that Liko is the main character...and that she is female. That is the main reason it comes off as sexist, not even considering the fact that the term "Mary Sue" has become outdated as more people have realized how the term is used as a form of sexism over time. This argument you're making is just proving that point.
Also, people saying Pokemon is directed to girls is delusion.
Nobody said that Pokemon is directed to girls, but that Pokemon includes them in the target audience. You bring up Japanese culture in your argument too, but Pokemon isn't only aired in Japan. The producers have the international market to think about to and they have made changes in the past to cater to that international market(take the early writers replacing Takeshi with Tracey(forgot his Japanese name...) because there was the assumption that Takeshi embodied a racial stereotype).
Ash was never special.
Ash
  1. Got a unique starter
  2. Was repeatedly said to be incredible and amazing because he...cares for Pokemon? This doesn't make him special, yes, you're right. But why was everyone so insistent on it being special to him in particular as if caring for Pokemon was a foreign concept? Protagonist powers? In which case, if Liko turns out to be the same, yes, there absolutely would be a double standard here
  3. Has aura abilities
  4. Has caught the interest of numerous legendaries and mythical Pokemon
  5. Has a special Greninja, an Infernape with a powerful ability, caught two mythical pokemon-one of which is an Ultra Beast, and has a special z-move with Pikachu that nobody else can access(which was introduced through a dues ex machina by the way)
It is common for protagonists to be special in some way, shape, or form. Ash may not have completely started out special, but you dunking on one storyline that we know next to nothing about solely because Liko is replacing Ash again, feels like a double standard. Sprigatito not getting along with Liko has happened to numerous main character, not just Ash. Liko having something special about her? Every other protagonist in existence. None of the stuff I listed are bad, either. If anything, all this stuff is what caused people to like Ash more. But if any of this happens to Liko I guess she's a Mary Sue?

Add to this the fact that today´s trailer paints Riko as the kind of character I hate the most in all fiction. The character that is special since the beginning, chosed by a higher power/having a special gift (her pendant).
main-qimg-563b1e10b90e675cc96fc69eb4fd60d4-lq

Say what you will about Ash, but when he began his journey he wasn´t special neither had something special with him.

WebbedThunderousBlackpanther-size_restricted.gif

I don´t want to sound sexist, but, at least for now, she is nothing but a gender swapped Ash. It´s like the producers thought being a girl is already different enough. Add to this the fact that Pokemon is a show predominantly watched by boys and it´s a huge risk that won´t have the payoff they expect. Girls won´t start watching the anime just because it has a girl protagonist and, the ones that will won´t be in a huge enough number. Also, there are lots of girl animes inu Japan like the merchandise behemot Precure who is also running for 20 years and who girls will be more interested in bying products from. Also, I doubt the parents wallet is endless. There´s just to much competion in the girl market, especilly since it also has it´s own long estabelished franchises. Again, I don´t want to sound sexist, but someone has to adress the elephant in the room. There are also lots of boys who are fans and will stop watching beacause of the girl protagonist. I have first hand accounts of this as I wrote about in a previous post. Japan is still a country whith unfortunetly very defined limits between a boy and a girl. If the anime starts being called girlsh by the «boss» kids at school it´s over. Entire classrooms will stop watching, It´s a documented phenomenom that will undoutfully happen. I guess this is the real (and honestly only) reason for Roy´s existence.

"Gender-swapped Ash". Ash is the most bare-bones anime protagonist in history in terms of a personality. They don't have to do remotely anything to Riko and she would still probably be similar to Ash.

Also IDK if you know, but the reason Ash's female companion is swapped out year after year was stated decades ago to be so that boys will have new "eye candy" to continue watching the series. Riko would not turn boys off of the show, it would be the opposite. I mean, you are aware that a good handful of guys will pick the female protagonist in the game, right? Because they want to spend their time looking at a girl over a boy. No one is going to stop watching a child's television program because the new protagonist is a girl, they're probably going to be more interested in it. Not less. Especially since you've already admitted that she's basically the exact same character that they were already watching before.

I guarantee you that young children are not this personally attached to Ash and a lot of people here are ignoring the fact that many old time fans, including myself, have been waiting for Ash to leave for ages now. He has long overstayed his welcome and a new protagonist, whoever it would have been, is just a breath of fresh air that is giving us some new vigor and excitement for this new series. I, for one, am looking forward to starting to watch the anime again for the first time since midway (maybe even before midway) through Sun and Moon, which for me personally, was unbearable.

main-qimg-563b1e10b90e675cc96fc69eb4fd60d4-lq

WebbedThunderousBlackpanther-size_restricted.gif

"Gender-swapped Ash". Ash is the most bare-bones anime protagonist in history in terms of a personality. They don't have to do remotely anything to Riko and she would still probably be similar to Ash.

Also IDK if you know, but the reason Ash's female companion is swapped out year after year was stated decades ago to be so that boys will have new "eye candy" to continue watching the series. Riko would not turn boys off of the show, it would be the opposite. I mean, you are aware that a good handful of guys will pick the female protagonist in the game, right? Because they want to spend their time looking at a girl over a boy. No one is going to stop watching a child's television program because the new protagonist is a girl, they're probably going to be more interested in it. Not less. Especially since you've already admitted that she's basically the exact same character that they were already watching before.

I guarantee you that young children are not this personally attached to Ash and a lot of people here are ignoring the fact that many old time fans, including myself, have been waiting for Ash to leave for ages now. He has long overstayed his welcome and a new protagonist, whoever it would have been, is just a breath of fresh air that is giving us some new vigor and excitement for this new series. I, for one, am looking forward to starting to watch the anime again for the first time since midway (maybe even before midway) through Sun and Moon, which for me personally, was unbearable.

There are a lot of boys who want a male lead to feel identified (in the same way, there are many girls who want a female lead for the same reason). That's why many shows mainly directed to boys have male protagonists. The boys who look girl protagonists for eye candy tend to be older.

However, I think people are ignoring we have Roy as male protagonist for that. It's pretty likely he will have focus on the second episode (which is released the same day than the first).

Has anyone noticed that they not really changing the Japanese names on any of the human characters? At best, there are slight changes like Landau to Ludlow. The only big change is Gurumin to Nidothing and I think they only did that because the original Japanese name is a pun that will be lost in translation.

There are a lot of boys who want a male lead to feel identified (in the same way, there are many girls who want a female lead for the same reason). That's why many shows mainly directed to boys have male protagonists. The boys who look girl protagonists for eye candy tend to be older.

However, I think people are ignoring we have Roy as male protagonist for that. It's pretty likely he will have focus on the second episode (which is released the same day than the first).

Most Pokemon fans are older and would probably rather a girl protag for that reason. Any children watching this show probably don't care about what gender the main character is. And if they did, they have Roy.

My main point is that no one is going to actively boycott Horizons because Riko is a girl.

Has anyone noticed that they not really changing the Japanese names on any of the human characters? At best, there are slight changes like Landau to Ludlow. The only big change is Gurumin to Nidothing and I think they only did that because the original Japanese name is a pun that will be lost in translation.
I noticed that too.

This is a part of what I tried to convey. Honetly, I don´t understand why so many people refuse to understand this. It´s part of life and, for better or worse, will always be like this. Also, boys deserve representation as much as girls, but nowadays some shows are overcompensating for the abysmal treatment of female characters in previous years.

About Pokemon having to be marketed to an international audience this is absolutery true, however what people fail to understand it´s that it is still first and foremost a Japanese company and the values of Japan, for better or worse, will alwyas be their priority.

I don´t want to delve too deep in this boys VS girls thing, because I am afraid of expressing myself wrongly and ending up hurting someone´s feelings, but there is some more points I absolutely have to make. What I said a few posts back about kids and peer pressure is an absolute truth as anyone who works with children can verify. My mother is a primary school teacher, my cousin who is half-japanese works as a primary school teacher in Tokyo and I myself, during my college years and even now, do lots of surveys and essays about people in pediatric ages, so I do think I have a better grasp about children than most people do.

As I said, my cousin works in a pretty big primary school in Tokyo and she is a huge Pokemon fan. The thing I said in my previous post is already happening. Almost all the boys in her class are into Pokemon, but none of the girls are (they are more into Pretty Cure). Many of them have backpacks and lunchboxes of Pokemon. What she told me is that the reaction to the new anime was anything but positive. Some of the «cool kids» (including the class rep who is apearently this kid everyone likes and respects) deemed the new show to be for girls. The very next day, the backpacks and lunchboxes stopped coming to school. Even if those kids continue to watch the show in secret, they won´t buy the merchandise. As for the girls, none of them demonstrated any interest in starting watching the show and said something about Liko that I will describe later. Another curious thing is that, when she sees kids playing Pokemon pretend durng recess, the characters they unsulally pretend as are Ash and Team Rocket, wich just dissolves any argument of kids don´t liking them. This just serves to reiterate the point that, like it or not, the barrier between boys and girls is still very strong and won´t go away so soon. Even in my country there are already boys who will drop the series for the same reasons.

Still talking about my cousin (she is a women in her late 20s), she is very active in the japanese Pokemon community and is my source of information pertaining to merchandize and fans reactions. Now, something people should alreday know about japanese fans is that they complain a lot less in social media. However, when they do, it´s usually very harsh. I still remember the hurricane that was japanese forums back in early BW because of what the anime did to Team Rocket. It was insane in a good way and they got results. Now, back to the present, although nothing like back then, what she sees is apathy towards the new series, which doesn´t sound too good for a fresh start. They were very upset however with the twitter thing, wich just shows the dissonace between fanbases.

Honestly, something that upsets me about anime fans in general is that, because they watch japanese shows, they think they know everything about it´s culture. As anyone who lives in Japan can attest, it couldn´t be further from the truth.

One interesting point, however is that older female fans like her (who already watched the show) are very excited about Friede and Amethio (especially the former). They are «ikemen» who are obviously designed with a certain type of fan in mind who has´t been catered to until now (James was the one who came the closest, but as she explained to me he was popular for another type of fan). See, with this I´m absolutely fine and think is a very good business decision. Cater to a group of older fans who will spend money and who haven´t had many characters of their liking until now.

For those calling me sexist about Liko, I will just try to explain my opinion with some more points. Right now she feels like a Mary Sue, but that can change. For those posts about Ash I will not lose much of my time because we will agree to disagree. Meeting Ho-oh doesn´t make him special since it never gave him any powers. Team Rocket started following him because they saw the raw potential in Pikachu, not because he had a special pendant that obviously will have a special power inside. The only thing where I agree that Ash is special is the aura. However, that wasn´t part of his character since the beginning. It came form a movie and, because it was popular, it made it´s way into the series proper. Also, to me, there are to types of special in fiction: those who gain power from the inside of their hearts, from their bonds with others (the case of Ash and Pikachu) and those I hate who are the ones who gain something special from an external force, like Naruto (he has special genes) or in this case Liko with her special pendant. Another point I have against Liko is somethng I already noticed and that my cousin´t students also pointed out. She looks very identical to a character from Delicious Party Pretty Cure called Kokone. She says during the announcement of the new series, one of the things she saw on social medi was people pojnting out this similarity and doing somethings like the «Can we have Kokone? We got Kokone at home» meme. That series aired during 2022. The fact that, im my eyes, the new series appears to be a last minute decision and her design being very similar to such a recent character from another popular franchise (a character who ranked very high in viewers preference during that season), makes it look like a case of putting together a would be marketable desing as fast as they could.

I´m leaving Roy alone for now because he honestly feels like a background character and I don´t have enough information to form an opinion about him.

Another thing I find absurd is the insistence on keeping the world tour format. One of the points my couisn talked a lot during Journeys was how the japanese fandom didn´t like the format. At all. The fact they kept it makes them look like they don´t care about their main audience, which is just strange. However, I will give them points for actually thinking about a believable way to travel around the world (airship) insted of Sakuragi´s infinite budget for plane tickets.

Speaking about the last point, there´s a theory that was going around Japan when Journeys was announced that I think will be interesting to share. Basically, when Team Rocket were confirmed to appear in the series, they showed a sketch of the gacha, without explaining what it was. Many fans assumed it was a real rocket like vehicle that would take them form region to region. This, associated with the research fellow stuff between Ash nd Go made some people theorize the show would be similar to an old anime called «Moncole Knights». For those of you who don´t know the show, to summarize: a boy and a girl work for a scientist studying and helping monsters from a parrallel world (Moncole). Every episode they travelled to Moncole and met a monster. At the same time, a trio of villains (a prince and his two female henchmen) travelled to Moncole as well to capture the monster. The climax of each episode was like this: the villains brainwash a monster to battle the heroes, the heroes win with the help of the monster they bonded with and the villains are blasted off. There was also an overarching narrative that got quiet dark in the end and a very creepy vampire episode (I watched the show as a kid). What fans theoriesed at the time was that Journeys would have a similar narrative: Ash and Goh go study a Pokemon for Sakuragi, they bond with the Pokemon, Team Rocket appears (having been sent there by Giovanni or having a bug in Sakurag´s laboratory to track the twerps movements), they battle and the day is won. This would be in line with the episodic narrative they promised and still have room for story important episodes. I know what many are thinking. For western fans, this would be a nightmare and a bore. However, as you can see if you search around a bit, monster-of-the-week shows are still very popular in Japan (Super Sentai, Pretty Cure) and, in my opinion, if executed well (which, with Tomyasu in charge is a big if) could have made for a very good show to fit the original sunday timeslot.

Once again I appolijize for the last paragraph but I though it was a nice piece to trivia. People in real life like to say I look like a doll, but the truth is that I am very hotblooded and, when I start speking about something I´m passionate about, I have trouble stopping.

Okay, I know there's a big deep dive for the show airing on the 7th, but I'm just so excited for Horizons! I just want to post my new hopes for the series now with the information we got from the new trailer and website on Friday.

So, with it seeming that the main goal of the cast is to uncover the mysteries of the Pokemon world, I think this allows for so much potential. But what I'm most curios about right now is how quickly the airship moves and how long it'll take to go from one place to the next. I really hope that they actually spend a good amount of time in each location they travel to. I'd rather them not just bounce from place to place everyday. Instead it would be nice if they could spend several episodes in one location to further the plot. I'm not saying they should just sit in one small town for 10 episodes, but I hope they at least will stay in a single region for a good amount of time. And while this may sound weird, I would love if they incorporate Pokemon from all regions across all regions. Like instead of limiting Paldean Pokemon to Paldea, it would be nice if we could see a lot of the new Pokemon outside of the region, so we don't have to wait for the crew to go there to see them. And this applies to all regions. We can be in Sinnoh, but see a small amount of Pokemon from other regions too. Heck, even at Liko's Kanto boarding school, they're giving out Pokemon from all regions as starters and Freide's crew has Pokemon from Hoenn to Galar. More than anything, I really hope the Alola Islands not named Melemele, Galar, and Paldea will get a good showing here.

I also do hope that even with this mystery solving goal, we can still see major game elements, such as gym battles, contests, and other things every so often. None of them obviously need to be anyone's major goal, but I still hope we can see some of these things tied into the main goal. For example, the gang could decide they want to learn about Dynamax so Liko and Roy participate in some gym battles in Galar. And of course, I would love to see some elements of Scarlet and Violet's main stories. I mean, the idea of solving Pokemon mysteries around the world sounds like a Treasure Hunt in itself.

Also, boys deserve representation as much as girls, but nowadays some shows are overcompensating for the abysmal treatment of female characters in previous years.
Boys have gotten plenty of representation in media. The "overcompensation" you're talking about is hardly enough to overshadow centuries of male dominant media. Male leads aren't gonna disappear into thin air just because a few shows decide to incorporate more women into their series. This stance has thinly veiled sexism laced into it. It might not have been your intention, I get that. But even in your arguments there is a double standard.

The only things we know about Liko is that she has a special pendant, is the protagonist, and her starter is a sprigatito she doesn't get along with. The only things we know about Roy is that he has a special Pokeball, is the secondary protagonist, wants to fight a pokemon "from the legends", and his partner seems to be a Fuecoco. We know barely anything about most of the characters, yet assumptions are still being made about Liko to the point of calling her a Mary Sue.

A lot of your arguments are speculative and anecdotal based. I'm trying to understand your points, but they just don't hold up very well and can be easily refuted.

Back
Top Bottom