• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Pokemon Academy: Dragon's Roar (Ended) (TEEN)

What do you think of this fic?

• Total voters
Re: Pokemon Academy: Dragon's Roar

Valerie-Reggie-Darren Triangle? XD Seriously though a good preparation for the next chapter. It's time for war, to save the ones you love. Something like that.

Nice job, Flame Haze. The tournament arc is really exciting! Especially the battles, they're really descriptive so easy for me to visualize them. So way to go. Can't wait to see what you have planned next!

(Sorry for the lazy excuse for the review but I didn't have enough time to go the whole nine yards. My exams end on monday so brace yourself for the onslaught of awesome reviews once that time comes. :p)

Whoops! I just realized I read this chapter but never commented.

Very good, as usual. I liked the comic relief bit at the beginning and the introduction of Valerie-Darren shipping. Once again, you do a great job of fleshing out your wide array of characters. I'm looking forward to things picking up to the climax.

Chapter 39, after this chapter I'll officially hit the forties line after such a long time. This chapter as expected is the end of the arc that's been going on since the end of the last one and it'll be Reggie's battle against Shroud, but the ending might be shocking.

Chapter 39: Embrace the Darkness

Reggie panted with every step he took, he not even conscious of how fast he was running anymore; but he was at least sure that Chigon was right behind him. Reggie looked down at his Academy Dex which had the words “Calling” in the middle of the screen; it didn’t take long for Reggie’s hopes to vanish when the screen went black once more. “Fin and Jack aren’t answering, damn it at a time like this.”

“Chi!”

Reggie looked ahead at Chigon’s speeding figure; happy that the little dragon had finally caught on to what was going on. After he had walked out of class his Academy Dex began ringing, according to the principal it was a signal for him and the others to gather in the location shown on the Dex because it was probably Zivok attack. Reggie looked down at the Academy Dex once again, a map of the whole island materialized with a red dot that was in the middle of the forest.

The fact that neither Fin nor Jack would answer their calls was worrying Reggie to no extent, but a new fear coursed through him when he thought about Zivok, Neptune and Incendio waiting for him. He couldn’t fight them alone, not all three of them and especially not in the condition he was in. Reggie looked down at his sword that had been strapped to his waist, he still didn’t know how to use it aside from what he saw Raphael do in the flashback; but that didn’t mean it would work with him.

“Chigon, do you think we can win?” he looked up at the flying dragon, who just gave him a reassuring grin and nodded. “Thanks,” Reggie smiled and slapped a tree bark to allow himself leverage to turn to the right, he then began dashing through the forest; realizing he was getting closer to the location.

And then he came to a halt as he looked down. The goal was just on the other side of the large hole that laid in front of it, there was a river and a waterfall in the middle of it, which successfully split the ground in two. Reggie looked around it, inspecting all the small grey colored pebbles that lay all over the floor. On the other side of the hole stood a cave entrance, which was obviously where he had to go. “Let’s go,” Reggie nodded his head to Chigon before jumping down, he using his legs to take all the pressure from the fall; though thankfully it wasn’t that high.

Reggie grabbed two pokeballs that were fasten on his belt before releasing Monferno and Fraxure the two in turned roar as they came out. “We have a lot of work to do guys,” Reggie glared at the cave entrance and began walking over along with his three Pokémon.

Before he could get very far however two figures walked out of the cave, the figures revealed to be Incendio and Neptune upon closer look. “Well look what we have here, looks like the little dragon got itself lost in the forest,” Incendio chuckled, a sadistic grin on his face that was enough to scare Reggie out of his newly summoned wits.

“Now Incendio, don’t be so rude, our friend here just wants to play a little,” Neptune smile, though unlike Incendio’s his smile was more calm and subtle yet it also had a frightening side deep inside of it. “Where are your friends, preferably that dyed hair kid, is he took scare after the damage Suicune dealt to him last time?” Neptune asked, apparently trying to show fake concern.

“I told them they didn’t have to come, I’m good enough to beat you guys,” Reggie replied, though he knew trying to act tough wasn’t gonna cut it; especially considering he was still scared out of his wits from just looking at the two of them.

“And he’s trying to act like a big boy too,” Incendio began laughing, his red eyes closing as he tried to contain the laughter inside of him. He then proceeded to unstrapped a pokeball from his belt, sending out his Emboar. “News flash, you’re just a bug and easily the weakest member of your group, the only reason you’re even remotely strong is because of that white excuse for a dragon you have there!” Incendio exclaimed before pointing at Chigon; who glared at him once it knew they were talking about it.

“I’ll show you,” Reggie gritted his teeth as he stepped forward along with Monferno and Fraxure, signaling for Chigon to stay behind. “Two on two, let’s go.” With that order both Monferno and Fraxure sprinted towards Incendio, took out yet another pokeball which sent out a flash of light. The light finished materializing just as it slammed itself onto Monferno, pinning it to the ground.

“Arca!” came the roar of an Arcanine as it increased the weight on its foot that was over Monferno’s body. Fraxure turned back, preparing to fire a Dragon Rage attack before Emboar’s shadow towered over it and slammed a powerful Fire Punch against it, throwing it into the river.

“Too easy,” Incendio chuckled as Fraxure pushed itself out from the river. “You should think twice before challenging people that are obviously stronger than you.” He replied, noticing Reggie was taking out the Ryublade. “You’ve gotta be kidding me.” Incendio grinned as he looked at the hopeless Reggie.

“Fraxure, get up and use Dragon Breath, Monferno use your strength to push Arcanine off!” Reggie exclaimed before he started charging towards Incendio.

Fraxure got up from the river as it fired a jet of green colored flames, the flames heading towards Emboar, to counter though Emboar fired a powerful Overheat attack; the attack being strong to overpower the Dragon Breath, before Fraxure could react again though Emboar was already in front of it as it slammed its arm down and sending Fraxure flying to the other side of the hole. “Arm Thrust is a very powerful technique,” Incendio grinned.

Incendio noticed that Reggie was already close enough but paid no mind to it. He stepped back and knelt down as he threw a kick straight at Reggie’s hips; who was holding the sword up and as thus was open for a direct assault. “Like I said, you’re just a bug,” he moved back before throwing a powerful uppercut straight to Reggie’s jaw, the punch managing to throw the sixteen year old to the floor. “I think we’re done here Neptune.”

As he turned around his Arcanine was thrown past him, it managed to stop itself from crashing against the wall thanks to its swift legs though. “Who is it?” Incendio glared, looking up.

“Are you okay Reggie?” Came the voice of Marie who was looking down at the three trainers with Jordan by her side. “We got worried so we came to help out.” Reggie raised his head, getting a clear view of Marie’s Purugly who was probably the one that had thrown Arcanine back, his Monferno was now getting up though the strength Arcanine was putting against its chest seemed to had done some damage.

“Don’t push yourself too hard,” Jordan jumped down from the top before running towards Reggie, his Buizel following close behind though it went off to help Fraxure. Jordan looked over at Neptune and Incendio who were preparing to fight yet again. “Maybe I didn’t think this through.”

And just as he finished saying Inendio’s Emboar bean towering over them it moving its fist back and surrounding it with flames. “Purugly Iron Tail.” Purugy charged forward; sticking its glowing tail out before slamming it against Emboar’s body and pushing it back. The boar Pokémon had other plans though as it grabbed Purugly and slammed it against the floor as hard as can be, however the goal for Jordan and Reggie to escape was accomplished since the two were already at the edge of the hole and ready to climb up.

“Why didn’t they attack us I wonder?” Jordan looked back at Neptune and Incendio while Reggie returned Monferno and Fraxure from where he was standing.

“They don’t think we’re good enough for them,” He managed to groan out an answer through the pain from his gut before falling to his knees as Chigon flew over to him. “I don’t know what they’re doing, but I can’t leave.”

“Are you crazy, you can’t beat those guys Reggie!” Jordan exclaimed, already feeling that his friends was going to get himself killed. “We have to climb up, let’s go.”

“You climb up,” Reggie grabbed onto the Ryu Blade before putting it on the ground in front of Chigon. “Evolve!” he screamed, causing the sword to glow in a blue light and Chigon in a white one, its body beginning to increase and change shapes till it turned into Rosegon. “Use your whips.”

“The kid thinks he can win, Arcanine Fire Blast.” Rosegon spread its four legs out before firing various thorn whips towards Incendio and Neptune. Before the whips could do anything though Arcanine’s great speed allow it to stand in front of Incendio and fire a large star shaped flame straight towards Rosegon.

“Magnezone,” Marie jumped down from the top along with her Magnezone, who proceeded to create a barrier around the three trainers and Rosegon which blocked the flames. “Reggie, I understand if you want to get Miko back, but getting yourself killed isn’t gonna solve it.”

“You don’t understand!” Reggie screamed, making both Jordan and Marie look at him with worried looks in their eyes. “You didn’t have to stand there and watch as she was taking over by that…that thing!” he put his hands on the floor for leverage and pushed himself up, though he groaned once more due to the pain. “I’m the only one that can save her!”

“Well what do we have here,” Reggie’s face suddenly went pale, the dark tone of the voice echoing through his mind and causing him to turn around. “If it isn’t Reggie, I wasn’t expecting you so suddenly,” Shroud grin as he pushed Miko’s hair back from covering his face. “Did you come to see your friend I hope you don’t mind the changes I made.” Reggie looked over Shroud, noticing the black zipped up top and a pair of short tight shorts the top revealing her belly bottom and most of Miko’s curved back.

“That’s creepy dude,” Jordan frowned. “Not Miko’s body, she’s hot but the fact the person in charge is a guy.” He winced before looking at Reggie who took the Ryu Blade out of the floor and allowed Rosegon to devolve into Chigon.

“Shroud!” Reggie practically used all the air in his lungs as he clenched onto the Ruy Blade, his rage and hatred towards Shroud growing rapidly and not even Chigon’s attempts to calm him down would work now. “Give Miko’s body back!”

“Sorry but I don’t think so, this body is rather comfy actually,” Shroud replied as he grinned sadistically at Reggie. “Gives me a whole new perspective of things you know,” he replied, putting his hand over Miko’s right breast.

“Stop that!” Reggie charged forward, holding the sword to the side this time and using even more speed, however it was still futire due to Zivok getting in front of them. The black cloaked man took out a jet black katana blade and blocked Reggie’s attack. “Out of my way.”

“I don’t think so!” Zivok glared at Reggie with clod eyes before grabbing his face and lifting him up; instead of stabbing him however Reggie was thrown to the floor once more. “Don’t try to act like you’re anything kid.” He put his katana close to Reggie’s throat but didn’t do anything, giving Reggie the feeling that the man just wanted to play with its prey this time.

“Don’t you dare touch Miko’s body again!” Reggie glared towards Shroud, who walked over to him and crouched down in front of him.

“I think you have it wrong boy, this is my body now,” Shroud grin, allowing Reggie to look up and notice a skull shaped pendant he had around his neck, the pendant having a purple colored ball in its jaws. “Oh, so Charles did show you that flashback, yeah this is what I used to summon the dark dragon last time and I’ll use it this time too,” Shroud grabbed the skull and raised it up so that Reggie could see it better.

Reggie clenched his fists in desperation, how could he be so weak, how could he lose his friend and the battle at the same time. “I can’t…” he muttered as the pebbles around him began to rise up, causing Zivok and Shroud to step back. “I can’t let you!” Reggie’s fury grew to a whole new level, a gleam of red in his cascade blue eyes as he got up from the floor, a black aura surrounding his body and Chigon’s as well. “Let’s go Chigon,” his voice was cold and emotionless now, he stepping back so that he could stand next to Chigon.

Both Jordan and Marie stepped back to allow Reggie and Chigon to fight, however the thing that surprised them the most was what happened next. Chigon’s fur became completely black and its body began to glow and change shapes once more, however this time he was bipedal and a pair of black wings erupted from the glow before materializing completely into a Chigon’s dark evolution, Darkan. “Reggie what are you?”

“It’s the only way,” Reggie replied while glaring at Shroud, who began to chuckle as he took a step forward.

“Guess I’ll just have to get rid of this,” Shroud shrugged before taking out a pokeball from his belt and sending a tall female-like Pokémon, it had a long black dress that covered its body, aside from its arms. It had long hair which was done in various rings around its head; it also had a white bow on top of its head and a pink colored face. “Gothitelle, get rid of that puny dragon,” Shroud replied, shocking Reggie since according to the flashback he only relied on Darkan back in the Dragonic Civilization.

“Darkan attack with your Shadow Flames!” Darkan roared before compelling with its masters order, it spread its wings and began to fly towards Shroud and Gothitelle as it fired a powerful jet of black flames towards the two.

“Light Screen,” Shroud commanded, allowing Gothitelle to create a transparent mirror-like barrier in front of the, the barrier managing to contain the attack. “Psycho Shot,” Gothitelle stretched its right hand out before firing a pink ray of energy towards the approaching Darkan, however the black Dragon flew out of the way and began to dive down towards the psychic type.

“Too easy, use Shadow Claw,” Darkan roared, its claw surrounding itself with dark energy as it slashed Gothitelle’s body, making the Pokémon scream in pain.

“Too easy, Mirror Coat.” Gothitelle opened its eyes wide; showing that they were glowing as it stretched its arms out and created another mirror in front of it. This one had a different effect, taking Darkan aback as it was hit by pink colored electricity that coursed through its body, reflecting the damage Gothitelle had just gone through. “Charging in without a strategy is pretty dumb to do kid.” Shroud pointed out with a slight chuckle.

Darkan roared, opening its mouth which began to ooze out black smoke. Darkness gathered around the tip of its mouth, creating a dark sphere that was then fired towards Gothitelle. “You can’t control him yet, it’s not doing what you want,” Shroud grin letting Gothitelle counter on its own. The goth Pokémon just stared at the attack before disappearing and appearing behind Darkan, it threw its hand down and pushed Darkan against the floor.

“Now grab it.” Darkan opened its eyes wide as it stretched its tail and wrapped it around Gothitelle waist, it then proceeded to raise the Pokémon and throw it back. While Gothitelle managed to stop itself from falling it wasn’t able to avoid Darkan’s black flames; which crashed against it and created a loud explosion of black smoke. “You were saying?” Reggie looked back at Shroud, though his emotionless expression hadn’t changed at all.

“Nice way to make surprise me,” Shroud turned back to look at Zivok, Neptune and Incendio. “You guys leave I’ll catch up soon.”

“Are you sure about this?” Zivok asked doubtfully, even he wasn’t sure about what Reggie could do now that he had let Darkan out.

“Yes,” with that the three cloaked men nodded before they climbed up the rocky wall and ran into the forest. “Now we can fight quietly,” Shroud turned back to look at Reggie, he was curious now that Reggie had shown a different side to him; a more serious and cold side. “Show me what you’ve got boy.”

Reggie nodded his head as he turned to look at Jordan and Marie, who were still backed up to the rocky wall. “You guys go up too, I wouldn’t want you to get hurt.” He instructed, causing his friends to instantly nod and beginning to climb their way back up along with their Pokémon. “Now Shroud, if I win you give me back Miko.” Reggie turned back to look at Shroud, his hair was messier now, enough to show both of his cold ridden eyes which matched with the serious yet calm expression and cold tone he was assuming, the gleam of red in his blue eyes still shining through with rage.

“I thought it was obvious,” Shroud stated while biting his index finger lightly. “You’ve really changed kid, compared to that naive boy that came into Kin Island a few months back, your leagues stronger now and an actual challenge,” he pointed at Gothitelle with the pokeball and returned it once more. “Which is why you deserve the main dish,” as he said this he took out a purple and white colored ball with an M in the middle.

The Master Ball began opening slowly, letting out black fog the more it spread out. “Prepare for despair!” as the Master Ball opened up completely a Darkrai came out, the Pokémon roaring as darkness erupted from his body. “You’ll know true darkness!” Shroud began laughing as Darkrai fired a powerful blast of dark energy; the black being so fast that it caught on to Darkan and sent its body against the wall.

“Get up!” Darkan pushed itself upward before flying into the sky, it firing a barrage of black flames towards Darkrai. However, the ghost type was too fast and managed to sneak itself past the attacks. “Go for a Dark Pulse!” Darkan roared once more, firing various waves of darkness; before it could hit however Darkrai materialized itself from behind it, hitting it with its own Dark Pulse.

“You’re too weak for this kid, accept it.” Shroud stated, surprising Reggie as he threw a kick at him, one that Reggie manage to catch in time before throwing his own punch. “You might be full of rage but you still suck at fighting,” Shroud said as he dodged the punch and kicked Reggie on the same spot Incendio had done before. “And you don’t really wanna hit me do you, if you really want to free your friend you have to fight better than this boy.” Reggie groaned as he moved back.

“Darkan,” Reggie looked at the fallen black dragon, who was struggling to get up before being slammed back down by Darkrai’s Shadow Ball. “Why, why can’t I beat him.” Reggie sulked as he clenched his fists in frustration. “Miko, everyone, he’s the one that caused all of this, why can’t I be strong enough…no, I know why.” He raised his head, showing an even more determined look than before. “I have to fight fire with fire,” Reggie walked over to the Ryu Blade, who Shroud let him pick up out of curiosity.

“Or in this case, darkness with darkness,” Reggie clenched hard onto the Ryu Blade, causing black shadows to erupt from the sword and for it to turn black colored, this in turn had an effect on Darkan who pushed itself up and roared into the sky before beginning to trash around. “It doesn’t matter what I have to do, I will save Miko!” Reggie roared, his hair rising and spiking up as his body was surrounded by black energy. “You hear me Shroud!”

“What’s this,” Shroud walked back till he was behind Darkrai, for the first time since he had come back he was experiencing fear; even with Reggie the dark aura that was coming out from the sword and him was enough to push him back. “Why is he letting out so much power?”

“Isn’t this what you wanted Shroud?” Reggie gained a sadistic grin as he looked up at Shroud. “I’m giving myself up, just to kill you.”

Darkan roared once more as its body began to glow, however before anything happened the light went from white to black causing its body to expand once more, however its body got much thinner as well as its wings. Once the process was over a new black dragon stood in front of Reggie, the dragon had a skeletal body with black armor around its chest, the armor having to spikes on the side. It had a long black neck with a black colored mask on its face; the mask having a V shaped visor on it, it also had a pair of large black wings with crimson red markings around it and a long black tail that had a spiked hammer at the end.

“DIABOLO!” the black dragon roared causing both Jordan and Marie to fall as the ground began to shake below them, even Shroud and Darkrai had intimidated looks in them as the dragon stepped forward.

“What kind of Dragon is this, I’ve never seen it before?” Shroud was definitely scared now, this new dragon that he had never even heard of was beginning to prepare its attack, and even Darkrai might not be enough to beat it. “Stay ready Darkrai.” he ordered, signaling Darkrai to prepare for the attack.

“Diabolo, no mercy,” Reggie held his arm up as he pointed at Shroud, Diabolo roared once more as it opened its mouth and began to gather jet black darkness in the tip of it. “One attack will be enough.”

“You’ll hurt your friend if you try it though,” Shroud chuckled, knowing that Reggie wouldn’t even dare to attack him if he said Miko would be hurt. “Dark Void!” he took his chance to attack, allowing Darkrai to fire a dark blast of energy towards Diabolo at Reggie. “It’s over!”

“Finish it,” Reggie ordered with no holding back as Diabolo roared and fired a blast of jet black flames straight towards Darkrai, the two attacks collided and began to push each other back slowly. However Diabolo’s attack began to absorb the energy in Darkrai’s and eventually overpowered. Shroud could only scream as he and Darkrai were enveloped by the flames, his body becoming part of the black void. “It’s over Shroud.” Reggie lowered his arm as he grinned.

To be Continued

End of Chapter 39
Next Chapter: Train for Your Friend’s Sake

Now that's what I call mercilessly fast writing. It only took you only a week to do what took me four months! (ie; the prolouge of the reboot of Tarnished Gold)

And, as usual, your battles are delicious.

Very nice. Fight fire with fire, darkness with darkness. Makes sense, but I wonder what the repercussions will be. I wonder how Miko will turn out in the end? No real nitpicks on this one, looking forward to Chapter 40. Wait... FORTY? This is looooong. I like it.

Awesome battle. I love fire types so I enjoyed this very much.

Awesome battle, I look forward to seeing how Miko is. I wonder if she could see every moment of what she was doing, just couldn't do a thing about it =P

...You didn't tag me like last time. I would've commented earlier had I known you posted a new chapter...

Anyway,
Da-yum! Whats up with Reggie! I mean, the guy just flipped out! The new chapter was awesome, your battles are some of the best I've read. Can't wait for what else you got up your sleeves.

Okay, so, once again, my criticism focuses mainly on grammar: your grammar is usually fine, but occasionally you will leave out a word, or a comma, or use a comma where it shouldn't go. This isn't too extreme in the more recent chapters, especially considering the longer length. The story (from what I can gather from the recent chapters) is really interesting as well, though I'm sure that it'd be better if I could go back and read everything. I'll have to remember and do that sometime, when I have time. This certainly looks worth the effort.

Also, if you'd like, I can betaread if you don't already have someone to.

Okay, just PM me the chapters before you post them and I'll go through them and correct grammar errors. The only time I'll be unavailable that I know of soon is this Tuesday, because I have a wisdom teeth extraction (XP).

The fight fire with fire part was good. However, there are still those grammar and spelling mistakes. Let's take a few examples...

“Chigon, do you think we can win?” He looked up at the flying dragon, who just gave him a reassuring grin and nodded. “Thanks,” Reggie smiled and slapped a tree bark to allow himself leverage to turn to the right, he then began dashing through the forest; realizing he was getting closer to the location.Thus sentence is just a tad too long, it could easily be separated into two smaller sentences.

He came to a halt as he looked down. The goal was just on the other side of the large hole that laid in front of it; there was a river and a waterfall in the middle of it, which successfully split the ground in two. Reggie looked around it, inspecting all the small grey colored pebbles that lay all over the floor. On the other side of the hole stood a cave entrance, which was obviously where he had to go. “Let’s go,” Reggie nodded his head to Chigon before jumping down, he using his legs to take all the pressure from the fall; though thankfully it wasn’t that high.

Reggie grabbed two Pokéballs that were fastened on his belt before releasing Monferno and Fraxure. The two in turned roared as they came out. “We have a lot of work to do, guys,” Reggie glared at the cave entrance and began walking over along with his three Pokémon.

Before he could get very far, however, two figures walked out of the cave, their figures revealed to be Incendio and Neptune upon closer look. “Well, look what we have here, looks like the little dragon got itself lost in the forest,” Incendio chuckled, a sadistic grin on his face that was enough to scare Reggie out of his newly summoned wits.

“Now Incendio, don’t be so rude, our friend here just wants to play a little,” Neptune smile, though unlike Incendio’s his smile was more calm and subtle yet it also had a frightening side deep inside of it. After yet it becomes a bit bloated, might want to separate that a bit “Where are your friends, preferably that dyed hair kid, is he too scared after the damage Suicune dealt to him last time?” Neptune asked, apparently trying to show fake concern.

“I told them they didn’t have to come, I’m good enough to beat you guys,” Reggie replied, though he knew trying to act tough wasn’t gonna cut it; especially considering he was still scared out of his wits from just looking at the two of them.

“And he’s trying to act like a big boy too.” Incendio began laughing, his red eyes closing as he tried to contain the laughter inside of him. He then proceeded to unstrap a Pokéball from his belt, sending out his Emboar. “News flash, you’re just a bug and easily the weakest member of your group, the only reason you’re even remotely strong is because of that white excuse for a dragon you have there!” Incendio exclaimed before pointing at Chigon; who glared at him once it knew they were talking about it.

This is just a brief cutting from the chapter, I've showed all the errors I could find. If some of these mistakes were fixed, this fic would be far better! Outside of that though, this chapter was pretty well written. I definitely enjoyed Reggie's character furthering and plot advancement. Good job.

And so here's chapter 40 I finally reached the forties line and this marks the start of the new arc and I also have big news. We're in the last stride, yes there are only ten chapters left before the end of the fic so I hope you tune in.

@Instrutilus; @Thundagere; @AetherX; @Sarcastically Insane; @Rob Anybody; @Jinoga; @Legacy

Chapter 40: Train for Your Friend’s Sake

It was a sunny yet quiet day in Academy Island; since it was Saturday the school in the main building or people that had to take make-up exams. There was also the hospital, where a sleeping Reggie was resting. Two days have passed since the fight against Shroud and things have started moving yet again.

Reggie groaned as he opened his eyes, letting the light of the sun shine upon him and practically blind him. “What happened?” he asked himself as he sat up on the hospital bed. It all felt really weird for him; the last thing he remembered was that he was fighting against Shroud, but nothing after that.

“Reggie, stop that!” Reggie’s eyes snapped open as he turned around to see Valerie and Darren standing above the large crevice with Marie and Jordan standing next to him. Diabolo turned around and roared as if it was waiting for new orders. “You’ll hurt Miko!” Valerie exclaimed. She had a perplexed look on her face; she didn't seem to understand how her cousin could do something so awful.

Reggie looked back towards Shroud, only to see Miko’s unconscious body lying on the floor. She was burned from the flames and seemed to be in some kind of coma. “What?” Reggie gasped before he grabbed his head. Pain began to surge through his body as he moved back. “I can’t!” Reggie screamed, falling to his knees as Diabolo roared once more.

Diabolo looked up, its visor beginning to glow red. It then opened its mouth, causing the four trainers to move back in fear. “Stay back!” Darren held both of his arms out as he stepped over to the edge of the crevice and raised his sleeve. “Go, Charizard!” he roared, sending out his signature black Charizard who roared with fury at finally being sent out after a long time. The black marks on Darren’s arm, also known as InstaLink, began to glow black and extend over his arm. As this happened, though, Charizard’s body was surrounded by a black aura.

“Go use Fire Pledge!” Charizard roared before slamming itself on the floor, causing flames to erupt from the rocking floor and surround Diabolo, safely stopping its attack. “Now hit it with Inferno!” Charizard opened its mouth before firing a powerful burning jet of flames. Diabolo was struck by the flames which proceeded to spread around its body and make it roar from the pain. “Come on, Devolve,” Darren looked down at the still suffering Reggie before jumping down into the hole.

“What are you doing?” Valerie asked as she saw Darren run straight towards Reggie.

“Ending this.” Before anyone could protest Darren kicked Reggie straight in the face, making him drop to the floor and lose consciousness at the same time. With this done Diabolo’s body began to glow black once more, and it proceeded to shrink and turn back into Chigon, who was unconscious and beat up as well.

A knock came from outside of Reggie’s hospital room, causing the boy to come out of his trance and turn towards the door. “Who is it?” he asked as the door opened slowly, revealing Charles. He was carrying a basket full of cookies and chocolate. “Principal, why are you here!?” Reggie had an alarmed look on his face, mainly because he didn’t expect the principal to come visit him so suddenly.

“Don’t be so scared; you’re injured, so I came to check on you.” Charles grinned, putting the basket down on a table nearby and taking out a chair so that he could sit down. “I also came to congratulate you. After all, you not only rescued Miko, but also recovered the pendant that Shroud was going to steal,” he pointed out with his finger raised while still keeping his smile.

“I did!” Reggie’s face turned to surprise and happiness, especially now that he remembered the state he had left Miko in after Diabolo attacked her body directly. “Is she okay- how is she feeling?” As he made these questions, Charles’s face dropped to a more concerned expression. “What is it?”

“Miko’s fine, but she’s been in a coma for the last day, similar to how you were just now,” Charles replied, making Reggie’s face drop once more at the thought of how long Miko could be trapped in a coma. “There’s no physical damage, but there’s a lot of mental damage to her brain, so it depends on her if she recovers or not,” Charles shook his head before looking up at Reggie. “As for the black dragon you summoned...”

“Yeah, Diabolo," Reggie replied. "Even Shroud seemed to be surprised at it.” Reggie was surprised since Shroud was supposed to know all about Chigon and its evolutions, but now that he thought about it, he was surprised at Pyrgon when it first showed up during his fight against Raphael; that meant that there a limit to how much Shroud knew.

“Yes, that’s something I wanted to talk to you about as well,” Charles said, nodding his head solemnly. “I’m sure you noticed that during the flashback (Pyrgon’s appearance seemed to surprise him too. Actually, that’s easy to explain.” He stopped for a second, checking to see if anybody else was coming into the room. “Chigon has the ability to evolve into different forms, but only the five elemental forms of Alagon, Pangon, Plesiogon, Rosegon and Darkan are the ones he learns by himself; forms like Pyrgon and Diabolo are evolved forms of the main five that are created by the trainer’s feelings linked with Chigon.”

“To explain it better, you could say that if you’re in a situation where you want to become stronger because a base form isn’t enough, depending on your feelings and wish that will link Chigon to it and it also depend on what form you were using at the time.” He stopped for a second before looking into the basket, taking out a rough sketch of all of Chigon’s known evolutions. “Back during the flashback, Raphael’s feelings to protect the ones he loved made Alagon evolve into Pyrgon, and that memory was engraved into Chigon; that’s why he was able to evolve into Pyrgon during your fight against Darren.” He then showed Reggie a rough sketch of Diabolo. “When you were battling Shroud, you not only used Darkan, but you also let your hatred and rage towards him take control and Chigon evolved into this dark Pokémon. His power was influenced by the same hatred, making it strong enough to defeat Darkrai, but the emotional strain was also too strong for your mind and you fell unconscious.” He handed Reggie the rough sketch.

“So it... it was all my fault?” Reggie looked at the sketch glumly, the memory of Chigon turning into that hideous monster still fresh in his mind.

“Don’t be so sad. Frankly, even I would've acted like that had I been in that same situation,” Charles patted his back softly, making the sixteen year old look up at him. “What matters now is that Miko is safe, we have the pendant, Darren is back, and Fin and Jack will become stronger.”

“Where are Fin and Jack?" Reggie asked. "I couldn’t contact them?” He had been thinking about Jack and Fin for a long time and hoped that they hadn’t been in any kind of danger.

“They both left two days ago with their respective trainers,” Charles replied, making Reggie raise an eyebrow at him. “I assigned both of Fin’s parents as well as Jack’s brother and Brendan so that they could train them and make them stronger; this way we’ll have less trouble,” he explained.

“I guess you’re right… wait, Darren’s back,” Reggie changed the subject, a look of hope and happiness in his face.

“Yes,” Charles nodded his head before hearing someone knock on the door. “Come in,” he announced, allowing Valerie, Marie, and Darren to walk inside the room. “And, speak of the devil. Anyway, I have to go back; there’s a lot of work to do.” Charles got up from the chair; he smiled at the three teenagers before walking out of the room and leaving them with Reggie.

“Hey,” Reggie raised his hand to wave at Darren, but the Houndoom Dark student just nodded his head before sitting down where Charles had been. “I’m glad to see you guys. Where’s Jordan?”

“He went to get some snacks,” Valerie replied as she walked over to Reggie and began checking the basket. “I’m really glad you woke up. Now you can clean yourself,” Reggie blushed.

“You... washed me? Aren’t the nurses supposed to do that!?” Reggie exclaimed, his face going completely overboard as both Darren and Marie tried to hold a chuckle. “Even Darren’s laughing,” Reggie sighed.

“I was just kidding.” Valerie laughed hysterically before grabbing a chocolate bar and opening it. “But I liked your reaction.” She grinned as she took a bite.

“So, how are you feeling, Reggie?” Marie asked, walking closer to the bed and grabbing Reggie’s hand. “I was really worried when you let Chigon evolve into Darkan. I know you had to do it to save Miko, but when you fell into a coma...” She looked down at the floor; it was obvious that she had been worried all along. Both she and Valerie had faces that showed they hadn’t slept well, if at all.

“If you ask me that was the worst thing you could’ve done,” Darren finally spoke, making Valerie and Marie turn so that they could see him clearly. Darren was giving Reggie a look that clearly showed how disappointed he was in him. “Last time you did that, Miko and Marie risked their lives to save you. You not only went a step further, but even attacked Miko and were about to attack Marie as well!” Reggie clenched his sheets; knowing that Darren was right and knowing that he deserved the scolding. Reggie raised his head once more, finally noticing the bags under Darren’s eyes.

“You can say that, Darren,” Reggie said, grinning. “Both Valerie and Marie have barely slept to check on me and Miko, but you, you’re the one that’s slept the least.” With that, Darren practically jumped as Marie and Valerie began to giggle. Darren frowned before glaring at Reggie, who in turned yelped out of fear. “Um… sorry, I was just kidding,” he chuckled innocently but with fear.

Thankfully for Reggie, Jordan walked into the room at that moment alongside a nurse. Jordan was carrying two paper wrapped sandwiches while the nurse was carrying a tray with food, a slice of bread, some mash potatoes, some chicken, and a sausage. “Yo Reg, nice to see you’re all right,” Jordan smiled, noticing the tension in the room.

“Yeah, I’m good to go,” Reggie replied before looking at the nurse, who set up the food down on a board that could be put in front of him.

“No you’re not. You just woke up, so you’ve got at least three more days to go before you're let go,” the nurse chastised with a stern look as she gave Reggie a fork and knife. “And you should try to avoid coming here for a while. We’re considering giving you your own room.” She grinned sweetly before walking out.

“I don’t have a choice, though.” Reggie frowned and began eating. The food was really great, even if it was because he hadn’t eaten anything since the day of the fight. He began to eat faster than usual, eager to recover all his strength as his friends watched him.

“At least he’s eating well.” Valerie raised an eyebrow at Reggie’s action as Jordan opened his sandwich and began eating.

Charles was looking out from the window of his office, thoughts of recent events still racing through his mind. Reggie was in the hospital, and even though they had rescued Miko as well as recovered the pendant to summon the dark dragon, Reggie had lost himself for an instant. With Jack and Fin gone, Reggie had to get stronger. "Things sure are becoming interesting." Charles sighed as he rubbed his temples.

He was then startled by the doors of the office opening with a couple of beat up guards walking in from either side. Behind them was a man wearing a red coat. The man had long brown hair and was wearing a pair of blue jeans. "You sure know how to hide. I just want to talk, so I sent my guards to search for you. It seems you took it the wrong way." He signaled the guards to go before looking at the man again. "It still surprises me. I've heard plenty of things, but traveling to other dimensions is completely different." He chuckled as he passed his hand behind his head. "I have one request for you...A.D., was it?"

"A.D. it most certainly is," he replied cheerily, putting his hands in his coat pockets and glancing around the room idly, "Now, what do you want? If guards were sent it must be of some significant importance.”

Charles put his head on top of his fist, sticking his index finger out to touch his lips lightly. "I'm sure I had it somewhere." He began to shuffle through his desk, looking for something. After a minute or so he took out a notebook and proceeded to look through it. "Sorry. You know, being the principal and all, I have to keep most things that don't involve the academy written down." He closed the notebook. "We've caught footage of you over the last couple of weeks, through the halls and even before, so my request is for you to help a certain student of this academy."

"So, on an island academy full of what I'm going to assume are top-notch teachers in the ways of Pokemon, you ask a guy that fell out of the sky to tutor a student. Brilliant plan, I must say," A.D said sarcastically. His tone, however, masked curiosity: a man drops out of the sky and sneaks into an academy to do some snooping around, and then he's called by the principle and asked to tutor a student. Deciding that the situation was worth looking into, he let out a reluctant sounding sigh. "You know what, with my track record, it doesn't matter if I say yes or no. The universe will find a way to make me. What's his name?"

"We need truly powerful help, and our best teachers were already assigned," Charles replied before taking out a yearbook and showing A.D. a picture of Reggie. "This is the student, Reggie Damon. I need you to give him special Pokémon and physical fighting training for challenges to come." He gave A.D. the book to see the picture better. "As you probably noticed, the academy's been in a fuss lately and this young man, along with some of our best trainers, have been fighting to keep peace. The teachers can't be sent out since well they have to keep the other students calm."

"Ah, Reddie. I suppose I could train him in some regards, such as swordplay and dodging, but I'd recommend getting a brother or some other relative for other aspects," A.D said, looking at the file. He flicked the page over, with a curious look, wondering if there was any further information. However, when he turned the page, a photo fell out. Bending over to pick it up, a Pokéball rolled from his coat's sleeve and moved, unnoticed and silent, to a place where it would be out of sight to all. Standing back up immediately, he replaced the photo and handed the file back to Charles. "You see, in my experience, relatives always train their students harder than the rest: some kind of instinct making them do it so they won't see whatever relative be killed because they hadn't been trained hard enough."

"We tried contacting his brother, but he seems to be out of reach," Charles explained as he grabbed the picture book once more. "So it'll just be you." Charles scratched his chin. "If you already know Reggie, then that makes it all the better." He smiled. "You may leave. I've arranged for you to have a private room where you can sleep in."

"Eh, I don't sleep: bad run in with a Hypno," he moved his hand in a passive manner as he made his way toward the door, "But thank you anyway, sir, I shall stay there until you need me."

And with that, the older Trainer left the principal to his activities.

Darren was sitting down in his room. It had been a long time since he had actually been in there, especially with all the stuff that had been going on lately. “I have to catch up.” He looked down at the notebook on his desk that had a list of all the things he had missed in class and things he had to get done before the end of the year. “There’s only two months left of school, and I have almost half a year's worth of work to do,” he groaned before grabbing his pencil.

He was then startled by a knock coming from the door. “Who is it!?” he exclaimed, turning around so that he could open the door. What he saw was Agatha, the head of his dorm, smiling at him. The old frail lady walked into the room with a can; it always amazed Darren how she had managed to live for so long, yet she was still so outgoing and witty.

“It’s nice to see you’re getting back into your studies, especially with all the troubles you’ve been going too,” Agatha replied as she grabbed the notepad. “I’m sure you’re wondering why I came here, right?”

“That’s a given,” Darren affirmed before turning around to the door once more. Lucas was standing by the entrance with his arms crossed and a grin on his face. “Though I can give myself an idea.” He replied.

“As you know, both Jack and Fin left to go train on a specific field. You Darren are the strongest of the four, but there’s something you lack,” Agatha pointed out while raising her index finger towards Darren. “Two things, actually, and the two most important things, too.”

“Control and teamwork,” Lucas explained, causing the young trainer to raise an eyebrow at the Sinnoh champion. “You can’t control your strength that InstaLink or whatever you call it produces. It works like my Aura; the difference is that you lose control whenever you use it for too long,” he explained before walking into the room and patting Darren on the back. “That’s why I’ll teach you to control it.” Lucas grinned.

“And teamwork is even more important. You’re still not able to work your way into the others' plans, or even care for them in battle, and that’s why you have to learn to take care of your comrades,” Agatha explained as she closed the notebook and got up from the seat. “And that’s what you’ll be learning.”

“You’re kidding, right?” Darren chuckled while looking at the two.

A few days later, Reggie was in the principal's office.

"Darren left too!" Reggie exclaimed as he walked over to Charles's desk. The principal just had a serious look hanging on his face as he looked at the Charizard Flame student. "Without him, Jack, or Fin, how am I suppose to fight? I can't rely on Diabolo again; it's too dangerous!"

"You shouldn't even be up and about yet, it's bad for your body," Charles scolded as he got up from the desk and looked towards Reggie. "I made this choice base on each one of you. Jack needs to think of better strategies; Fin needs to master dragon types, since it's in his blood; and Darren has to learn control and teamwork." Charles patted Reggie on his shoulder. "You, on the other hand, have to learn to fight! Your speed, strength, reaction time, and strategically ability have to increase at least tenfold to match the others."

Behind Reggie, the creak of a door opening was heard. Reggie turned around, his hair moving along with him as he saw A.D. walking into the room. "It's you?" curiosity and confusion ran through his face as he saw the familiar trainer walk in.

"Sup Reddie," the trainer casually waved, smirking at the surprised look, "Ready for the training from hell?"

"Wha...what?" Reggie's mouth fell as he turned to look at Charles while pointing at AD. "He's gonna train me?"

"Yes. You're practically the leader, you have the dragon, and you have the sword, so you can't fall behind," Charles replied while smiling at Reggie, which in turn just caused the sixteen year old to feel even more surprised.

"Hello, A.D.," Reggie said, turning back to AD after regaining his composure. "I didn't think you'd be here." In fact, Reggie had thought A.D. was gone after all the time that had passed.

"Eh, I've been around. I'm just sneaky like that," he replied with a small grin. "Besides, I need to learn about this world before I go try and find a way home: where better then a place where they teach?"

"Also A.D., if I can have a request..." Charles took out a map before showing it to the two. "Could you train... here?" he said, pointing. Reggie gasped as he recognized the location on the map as being the same one where the pendant had been. "This is where Reggie's last fight was; there's a cave there where I would like him to train once you deem him ready. Close to it is a waterfall where you two can set up camp if you'd like."

"Why there?" Reggie asked, his face seeming a little pale.

"This cave isn't like any other. If you don't have a strong will or good skills, you can't survive. It's a pitch black cave where once you enter nothing happens; you float and live in nothingness as you walk with no senses to depend on," Charles said before giving the map to A.D.

"Got it. Put him through training from hell itself, then shove him in a cavern that shuts off all senses and see if he comes out the other side in one piece. I like it. Reggie, with me," he said before walking over to the window, opening it, and hopping out.

"I'll... use the door," Reggie said, knowing he wasn't even brave enough to jump out a two story window like that.

"Chi!" Chigon squeaked eagerly before flying over to Reggie and grabbing his jacket.

"Wait wah!" Reggie exclaimed as he was lifted from the floor by the small white dragon. Chigon smiled and began flying outside the window, almost letting go of Reggie. "Are you happy?" Reggie frowned at the dragon as it lowered him. "At least you can lift me now." Once they landed he proceeded to walk over to A.D. "All right, I don't have any other option," Reggie sighed before looking back. "I just hope no attacks happen- Miko's still in coma, and..." He shook his head, deciding that he had to be positive and get stronger. That was the only way he could protect his friends. "Let's do this, A.D."

Silently, A.D. turned and released his Aerodactyl, then pointed to the place they wanted to go on the map. Aerodactyl let out a screech before taking off and grabbing both A.D. and Reggie in his claws. A.D had anticipated it and raised one arm, ready for his Pokémon to carry them off; Reggie wasn't so quick, and got swept up unexpectedly.

"Quick question: could you tell me your real name?" Reggie asked.

"Naw, A.D. will be fine," he replied with a bored tone, as if he hadn't heard the question.

End of Chapter 40
Next Time: First Trial: A Swordsman's Courage

Last edited:

Another great chapter. Nothing like a good bout of rigorous training before the epic climax. Looking forward to 41!

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom