• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • The forums' software will be updated on December 9th, 2019 and may be down for several hours to multiple days for this process. Thank you for your patience, we hope this update will improve your experience here.

Why not join us over on discord during the downtime?

• ME finally got off his butt and has started his own LP of Platinum version. Watch the chaos unfold here.

Pokémon-amie: new bonding feature

THIS IS MY PLANET!
Reaction score
Accuracy and evasion are perfectly valid battle strategies.
Uh,valid? Its not allowed in PS!
What is this PS you speak of?
He is speaking of Pokemon Showdown
Oh, a battle simulator. Well, we all know that's unofficial anyway.
It's run by Smogon, which is the closest to official we have in the way of PvP battling.

Reaction score
Accuracy and evasion are perfectly valid battle strategies.
Uh,valid? Its not allowed in PS!
What is this PS you speak of?
He is speaking of Pokemon Showdown
Oh, a battle simulator. Well, we all know that's unofficial anyway.
It's run by Smogon, which is the closest to official we have in the way of PvP battling.
"Closest to official" here is still not official at all. It's just the most popular or best known in the fandom.

Touch not thy cat without a glove
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited for this feature. In the Anime, they have always stressed that if you have a bond with your Pokemon, the Pokemon will be a better battler. Now they are bringing this out in the games, and all in all it seems interesting, especially if they work it out into Wifi battles.

Reaction score
Another feature I'm never going to use. I don't care about interacting with my Pokémon, as they're only digital tools I use to play (hence why I hated the walking Pokémon feature; I found it so annoying).
So heartless! I bet you don't even pet your dog and tell him that he's a good boy.
I don't have a dog. I actually don't even own a pet, heh.

That's like a Mario fan hating jumps ¬¬
Maybe. I just don't care about bonding with digital things.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I like this. It will give us a way to connect, and bond with them. I mean, there are Pokémon that only evolve if their happiness is very high, so this can make it more realistic. Speaking of which, I'm hoping this plays a factor in that.

Doc Octillery FTW
Reaction score
I like this. It will give us a way to connect, and bond with them. I mean, there are Pokémon that only evolve if their friendship[/] is very high, so this can make it more realistic. Speaking of which, I'm hoping this plays a factor in that.

Fixed for truth.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Pokémon amie.Unlike musicals which were rather silly this one enw feature does seem interesting, I hope we're not dissapointed as with Musicals.

Borderland Sword
Reaction score
I like this. It will give us a way to connect, and bond with them. I mean, there are Pokémon that only evolve if their friendship[/] is very high, so this can make it more realistic. Speaking of which, I'm hoping this plays a factor in that.

Fixed for truth.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Pokémon amie.Unlike musicals which were rather silly this one enw feature does seem interesting, I hope we're not dissapointed as with Musicals.

How is Pokemon-amie comparable to Musicals?

Doc Octillery FTW
Reaction score
Starting in Gen III, every game has introduced one mini-game that involves interacting with our Pokémon: RSE had Contests, FRLG gave us the Joyful Game Corner, DPPt featured Super contests, HGSS gave us Pokéathlon, BW introduced Musicals and B2W2 did it with PokéStar movies. I have the strong feeling that Amie is Gen VI's equivalent to these mini-games, and I hope it's not as disapointing as Gen V's minigames were.

Borderland Sword
Reaction score
Starting in Gen III, every game has introduced one mini-game that involves interacting with our Pokémon: RSE had Contests, FRLG gave us the Joyful Game Corner, DPPt featured Super contests, HGSS gave us Pokéathlon, BW introduced Musicals and B2W2 did it with PokéStar movies. I have the strong feeling that Amie is Gen VI's equivalent to these mini-games, and I hope it's not as disapointing as Gen V's minigames were.
That's basically why I was asking. This doesn't seem like the equivalent to those. It just seems like a new feature, that, hopefully, will be in future games, as well.

Doc Octillery FTW
Reaction score
That's basically why I was asking. This doesn't seem like the equivalent to those. It just seems like a new feature, that, hopefully, will be in future games, as well.
Well, it's a minigame that's been strongely advertised just like the other features, that's why I get that feeling. As I said, it's a feeling, nothing more. I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
Well, it's a minigame that's been strongely advertised just like the other features, that's why I get that feeling. As I said, it's a feeling, nothing more. I hope I'm wrong and you're right.
Pokémon-amie doesn't seem to be a mini-game like contests and musicals were, though. Those were mainly added as a fun alternative to battling, where you had to go to a specific location for it and win prizes afterwards, while Pokémon-amie actually effects your gameplay where forming a connection with your Pokémon gives them more benefits in battle, and can be done anywhere. At least that's how I see it.

I gotta focus. I'm shifting into pokemon mode.
Reaction score
To me it seems like a new feature that mixes the concept of haircuts (friendship booster), Hey You, Pikachu! (Playing with/feeding/talking to/spending time with pokemon), and some attributes of walking pokemon (Pokemon interacting with you.) thrown in.

I mean you're not going up against anyone like the contests and musicals, you're just spending quality time with your virtual pet.

Step into my crib everything smell like Cool Water
Reaction score
I agree. Pokemon amie is different in that it isn't an extra challenge besides Pokemon battles that you can perform. I too believe it's a whole different kind of feature to the others. Chances are we'll still have an extra challenge for us similar to musicals or films or contests.

Driving You Batty
Reaction score
Has it been confirmed that this feature is within the game? I've heard some talk that it may be an 3DS app like Dream Radar.

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
Has it been confirmed that this feature is within the game? I've heard some talk that it may be an 3DS app like Dream Radar.
The official strategy guide refers to it as a gameplay feature, along with horde battles and riding Pokemon so I'm pretty sure it's actually in the games.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score

Fixed for truth.

Was it friendship? I don't remember. Just shows you how much less of a fan I am anymore.

Borderland Sword
Reaction score
New info from Serebii:

The following may be attributed to Pokémon Amie based on the visual representation, but it still isn't clear

Paralysis: The Pokémon has a chance of healing itself from paralysis
Survival: The Pokémon has a chance of enduring a hit which would have knocked it out

If that's true, it's pretty amazing. I'm sure it'll motivate more people to use Amie. Especially Survival.