• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon-amie: new bonding feature

I popped in my Honedge and discovered that it cannot stand anyone touching its tassel. Not kidding; a cursed sword proceeded to curse me out soundly for that! (I actually said aloud, "Okay, jeez! Sorry about that. I won't do it again!") And apparently a sword can get hungry, as I've fed mine.

Once you hit all five hearts, you'll get a message that you and your Pokemon will be friends for life. Happened with my Beedrill and my Frogadier, so neither one will leave my party ever.

I finally got my Delphox to five hearts! I see so many people with Pokemon at 5 hearts so early on...Then again, I feel guilty if I spend too much time in Amie :u

This is easily my favorite addition to the franchise that this gen brought. Ever since Hey You Pikachu I've wanted to be able to interact with my Pokemon in this way in the main series. It's just so cute and makes me feel much closer to them than I would when I could only ever battle with them. Those in battle quotes are really touching like "Pikachu looked at you with trusting eyes", and get me more emotionally involved like "it's in a pinch, it looks like it might cry". Some are kinda weird though, "Pikachu is remembering the first time you met", like how would my character know that? Can he read their mind now?

I can't get the face recognition stuff to work at all though, but it doesn't seem to be needed. I can just use petting, puffs, and minigames.

I believe you have to have affection to at least 3 hearts in order for it start affecting battle.
Feels more like two hearts to me. The first signs are the Pokemon occasionally hops in place when sent out into battle, and then it starts getting "boosted" XP (by about 20%).

And there are already plenty of jokes made about being able to pet your Pokemon in the most (presumably) inappropriate areas of the body. E.g. I'm pretty sure that no matter how much your real cat or dog likes you they will never allow you to touch certain areas of their body (like around the rear end). In which light I think the reason GF doesn't prohibit you from doing just that with your Pokemon is simply to avoid drawing undue attention to the presumably-true-but-definitely-less-than-kid-friendly aspects of Pokemon biology.

I think I play with my Litleo too much and omg he's too freaking cute! I sent him out one time in Pokemon-Amie and suddenly he's poking his head out from the side of the screen with the cutest smile! I pay far too much more attention to him than I should compared to my other Pokemon...

I'm sorry to ask if this has already been answered somewhere, but...
Is the "Affection" rating in Amie different than the old Friendship/Happiness mechanic that we're used to?
Here's my problem: I caught an Azurill, and raised it's affection to the max in Amie (but enjoyment and fullness aren't maxed again yet), and it still won't evolve into Marill, even after 2 level ups at max affection.
Please help! I've spent soooo much time on that thing...

i admit, the whole thing is enjoyable, I'm still just trying to get into it but it certainly is making a decent enough side bit...

until I chanced upon this trope on the game's page...

Guilt-Based Gaming: The higher a Pokémon's affection for you, the more detailed the battle description. This includes telling you that your Pokémon is "about to cry" if its hit points become critical in battle. Try denying it your last Full Restore with that on the screen. It shakes off paralysis because it loves you, and you won't even give it medicine..?

I don't know about you people, but I don't like having that hanging over my head... it makes me feel dead inside about being the tactician I've been these past few gens. I mean I don't do sacrifices or anything, but I do try to be sparing on items... :-(

I love playing with sylveon on this feature. He looks so cute when i pet and feed him and it's sorta addicting.

It is a lot of fun, and I spoil my precious babies. x3 I worry that I don't feed them enough, though. 8U Does their hunger/fullness go down over time?

I love playing with sylveon on this feature. He looks so cute when i pet and feed him and it's sorta addicting.

I almost feel like this was made with Sylveon in mind. It is just so adorable in Amie. It's my favorite Pokemon to play with in Amie.

It is a lot of fun, and I spoil my precious babies. x3 I worry that I don't feed them enough, though. 8U Does their hunger/fullness go down over time?

Yeah. Even if you feed them until they get full, it can go down in a matter of minutes. But I'm not sure how it works exactly.

I think I must be the only player in existence who finds Sylveon creepy ... those staring eyes!

I've been spoiling my Steffon (Ivysaur) rotten. He's been kicking ass, though he was outmatched by Grant's Tyrunt despite his best efforts

Just wanted to post a cute moment I had with Shedinja
It finally evolved from Nincada and I couldn't wait to see it in Pokemonamie
I see though that it doesn't have any Puff thought bubbles
I pet it then try to feed it:
Me: *Puts Puff in front of its face*
Shedinja: *Watches Puff slowly fall to the ground*
Shedinja: *looks up quizzically* "?"
Me: OMG I love you!

LOL I didn't realize it wouldn't eat, though it makes sense. I do wonder if any other ghost Pokemon just plain don't eat.
In terms of ghost Pokemon that do eat though, Drifloon eats but shocking news to me, its mouth is actually ON its "X" pattern! I had assumed it was always underneath it like a squid or something.

Just wanted to post a cute moment I had with Shedinja
It finally evolved from Nincada and I couldn't wait to see it in Pokemonamie
I see though that it doesn't have any Puff thought bubbles
I pet it then try to feed it:
Me: *Puts Puff in front of its face*
Shedinja: *Watches Puff slowly fall to the ground*
Shedinja: *looks up quizzically* "?"
Me: OMG I love you!

LOL I didn't realize it wouldn't eat, though it makes sense. I do wonder if any other ghost Pokemon just plain don't eat.
In terms of ghost Pokemon that do eat though, Drifloon eats but shocking news to me, its mouth is actually ON its "X" pattern! I had assumed it was always underneath it like a squid or something.
Oddly enough, I discovered that Golett can eat; the little guy's mouth seems to be located where the head and chest meet. It can be a bit tricky at times but if you hold the Puff in the right area, a Golett will eat it. And I also discovered that if my Golett was full, he'd refuse food. Not even kidding, he turned his head away when I held out a Poke Puff so I just plopped it back in the Puff holder.

Another discovery:

Golett likes to be petted on the head, shoulders, arms--upper and lower--straps and legs. He also likes rubs on the sides of his torso. Do not touch the sigil in the middle of his chest, however; that will result in an aggressive response. (Can't say as I blame the little fella; he is a golem and if you remove the sigil on a golem, bad things happen to it.)

And I hate to say it, but it only took me a matter of hours before my newly caught Golett had a full five hearts. I couldn't stop myself from spoiling the little guy; he's too cute! Seriously, seeing a Golett peeping around the corner of the lower screen on my 3DS, looking at me as if he's playing peek-a-boo...so adorable!! He even popped up upside down on the top part of the lower screen, looking at me as if to say, "Hi! Whatcha doin'?" :ksmile:

Golett also rocks on the header game. My Titan is the only one of my crew who has gotten the big yarn ball bonus. So I can't help but spoil him.
i admit, the whole thing is enjoyable, I'm still just trying to get into it but it certainly is making a decent enough side bit...

until I chanced upon this trope on the game's page...

Guilt-Based Gaming: The higher a Pokémon's affection for you, the more detailed the battle description. This includes telling you that your Pokémon is "about to cry" if its hit points become critical in battle. Try denying it your last Full Restore with that on the screen. It shakes off paralysis because it loves you, and you won't even give it medicine..?

I don't know about you people, but I don't like having that hanging over my head... it makes me feel dead inside about being the tactician I've been these past few gens. I mean I don't do sacrifices or anything, but I do try to be sparing on items... :-(
Well, I've always been a bit overprotective of my team. I've outright cursed at NPCs who hurt a Golurk I may have been training so this won't really affect me. My guys get hurt, they get healed, end of story.

It may lead to some Poke Puff spoiling, however. My crew will be rotund and happy, believe me. Just ask my Golett. :lol:

Does anyone else find that some Pokemon take a long time to reach max. everything than others?

I've been playing with Mycroft (Eevee) for over three hours and he only still has one heart, three on fullness and one for entertainment... D:

@Silverwynde; After at least a year of seeing you post, I cannot see a Golette/Golurk without thinking of you :p

On topic, I'm enjoying Amie far more than I thought I would. I never really cared one way or the other about the "walking behind" feature in Yellow and HGSS. But it really does foster a sense of connection with your Pokemon when you use it. And the mini-games are addictive. It's like taking one of the most fun parts of DW and eliminating the annoying limitations.

I noticed that they seem to eat the last puff very slowly before they are 'full' and some of my Pokemon can last for days on eating a few, while others are back to nothing in a few minutes. The rating for enjoyment seems to be random for me as well.

I found the affection doesn't help happiness evolutions, I got an Azurill (which is insanely cute) and despite spending ages in Amie with it, I needed to get it's happiness up the old way - having it in the party and running around a lot (you can't seem to get haircuts for anything except Furfrou ). I suppose that's how they distinguish Sylveon and Umbreon/Espeon.

Most Pokemon without obvious mouths seem to just eat in the middle - even Pokemon like Magneton can eat.

Can't mention how much I love this feature - I wish you could rotate them though - it seems odd not being able to 'pat' all the cat/dog/lion type Pokemon.

Finally - does anyone know if the game copied over what was said in the anime about Ponyta not burning you once you got close to them?

I found the affection doesn't help happiness evolutions, I got an Azurill (which is insanely cute) and despite spending ages in Amie with it, I needed to get it's happiness up the old way - having it in the party and running around a lot (you can't seem to get haircuts for anything except Furfrou ). I suppose that's how they distinguish Sylveon and Umbreon/Espeon.

Is there any way to confirm this? I've heard it both ways: some people can't evolve Azurill (like myself), and others have trouble getting Eevee to be Sylveon instead of Umb./Esp.
Please, it's for the good of the cause!

That does appear to be the case -- I haven't put my Riolu into battle much because I want him to evolve at a low level. I really need to get more of those Soothe Bags in Super Training. (Because nothing says 'friendship' like PUNCHING THE STUFFING OUT OF SOMETHING! )

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom