• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon-amie: new bonding feature

Re: pokemon amie-the new bonding feature

Well it's a children's game after all.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have this strange feeling that I'm going to use this feature... and keep some of my Pokémon unevolved because I want them to stay adorable, all the time. I also expect to see a lot more scratches on the screen protector...

Nice, I look forward to interact with my favorite Pokémon.

This is amazing. Hopefully it raises friendship too, so that friendship based evolutions don't take so long.

the difference here is that musicals sucked.

And Amity was wasted potential. Even if it was an equal waste of time, at least Musicals didn't try to toss about their ideas of what they believe "talented Pokemon" looked like and let everyone take a shot.

That aside, I've been waiting for a feature like this and wondered why we had something lame like cleaning badges as opposed to patting our Pokemon on the head for the past two gens.

Wow, this is exciting! I haven't felt this kind of interaction with the games since the PokéWalker. This may very well be the game to beat all games!

I think this new feature is adorable. I loved it when KH3D did it, and the animations and stuff look absolutely adorable... I'm probably going to play with it so much. xD

I know for a fact that some people will claim to hate this feature. I also know for a fact that they will be petting the shit out of their Fennekin every chance they get.

This feature is even more than I expected us to get, and I love it! I can't wait to dote on my pokemon. I think petting your Trubbish will be hilarious.

However, is Pikachu going to be the only Pokémon that says it's name while the others just use their in-game cries? That seems a bit unfair, but it is the mascot after all. Not mention that something similar happened in Pokémon Yellow. Anyway that aside, this looks like a cool feature that I'll definitely be using.

THANK ARCEUS Pikachu is the only one. Probably what I hate the most from the anime are their anime cries, they're just weird and IMHO they don't make sense even for Pokémon. So I'm glad only Pikachu is getting its anime cry. Also, that would be unpractical given that:

1. We're getting a simultaneous international release. Re-recording cries in different languages would delay the games, and it's not worth it.

2. The international version of the game is exactly the same everywhere but Japan, which means that the carts contains all the language's script data, they game just adjusts itself to the language the D3S is set to. Thus that would mean that apart from the multilanguage text, the games would have to include 4 different cries (English, French, German and Italian) of recorded voice per Pokémon, and with more than 700 Pokémon now, it's simply too much space, it's not worth it. Pikachu on the other side, apart from being the series mascot, has the same name in all the world, thus this is not an issue for it.

3. Since this is a special feature, and given that it would feel awkward that one Pokémon's cry is its own name, but not with the rest of the species, most probably it will only say its name in its anime voice in this minigame, not unlike the walking Pokémon feature in DPPt that onlye xisted in Amity Square but not outside that location.

4. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I replayed the trailer several times and I SWEAR Snorlax had a different cry than the one it's had since the beginning, which means that finally, they updated the cries.

Anyway, that was a bit offtopic. But back on topic, as of now I feel slightly dissapointed. As I understood from the trailer's description, it seems that this mechanic is simply the replacement to Contests, Super Contests and Musicals from the previous games, with the added effect that it boosts frienship. Now don't get me wrong, it looks fun as hell, but with the current information, I feel like it's not the "OMG it TOTALLY revolutionized the game!!!11ONEONEONE" big shake up that Masuda promised. Of course, it's too soon to get to a conclusion, but with the provided elements, that's the way it looks. Especially since this would not be the first time Masuda promotes an irrelevant gimmick as the next big thing (anybody remembers how the interchangeable Keys from B2W2 totally transformed the franchise? Yeah...) just to build hype.

All in all, only time will tell, but even if I'm right and this ends up being just another gimmicky minigames, I say it looks enjoyable and surely I will give it a try. After all, as gimmicky as it was, I loved Pokéathlon to death. Also, it's stil the first time since walking Pokémon that we get to actually interact with our Pokémon, so I can't wait to check it by myself.

P.S.: Kudos for the pun on the name.

The "friendly pokémon may perform better in battle" bit is the only thing rubbing me the wrong way about this Pokémon-Amie thing. If petting your pokémon does give it significant stat boosts, then it's pretty much not optional.

That is, unless you can get said boost though several ways, much like every other stat boost in the series.

So just a mini game that increase friendship and allegedly EV's. Lame I wanted raisable IV's

Iv's are based on "genetics", making them raisable would defeat the whole purpose.

So just a mini game that increase friendship and allegedly EV's. Lame I wanted raisable IV's

Hey, Mr. Putdown, it only makes sense. Consider how OVERPOWERED every damn thing would be if things could have IVs raised. Did you consider the metagame?

Either way...... Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dear Arceus I've wanted this soooooo bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Mr. Putdown, it only makes sense. Consider how OVERPOWERED every damn thing would be if things could have IVs raised. Did you consider the metagame?

Either way...... Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dear Arceus I've wanted this soooooo bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overpowered? Cosidering metagame? I cause it could be considered overpowered for the single player but multiplayer since everyone is has them they would be EVENLY powered. IV's as they are now are basically a giant keep out sign to non veterans.

Though it is possible this thing can raise IV's by unlocking postgame food.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Simmer down there. Raisable IVs? That's breaking a dam there. Now seeable IVs THAT will remove reduce a lot of unneeded frustration and wasted time.

EDIT: Keep in mind that IVs aside, Base Stats, Natures, Movepool and other factors are real breadmakers for competitive monsters. Many players these days willingly evade IVs (can't say I blame them) and focus on EVs and other factors for battle builds.

Last edited:
Great to see they're taking advantage of the versatility of models over hand-drawn sprites.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom