• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon-amie: new bonding feature

Regardless of whether or not you want that to sound sexist, it pretty much is. I'm a male and the thought of this feature being used to attract more females to the game never even crossed my mind, nor the introduction of the fairy type, until I saw people mentioning it on here.

This is a great new feature to make you feel closer to your pokemon, and I think ANYONE regardless of gender is going to come to love it anyway when they actually do it for the first time.

(Now this will sound sexist....but it's not supposed to be)

Is it just me, or is this new feature something added mainly for the female part of the fandom? Of course, I would love to pet my Pokemon too, (like Absol!) but the way some of you guys girls are talking about it makes it seem like you are more excited about it than male players. And GF does try adding things to the game to create more diversity in the fandom... so I think it is one of the reasons.....

(No offense.... if there seemed to be any......)

I don't think it sounds sexist, just incorrect. The feature is used so that the player can feel closer to their Pokémon and perform better in battles, not just to be cute. I'd think anyone would want their Pokemon to preform better, not just females.

(Now this will sound sexist....but it's not supposed to be)

Is it just me, or is this new feature something added mainly for the female part of the fandom? Of course, I would love to pet my Pokemon too, (like Absol!) but the way some of you guys girls are talking about it makes it seem like you are more excited about it than male players. And GF does try adding things to the game to create more diversity in the fandom... so I think it is one of the reasons.....

(No offense.... if there seemed to be any......)

I don't think it sounds sexist, just incorrect. The feature is used so that the player can feel closer to their Pokémon and perform better in battles, not just to be cute. I'd think anyone would want their Pokemon to preform better, not just females.
Yeah, I think guys will be willing to do this as well as girls. Hey, my husband was the one who played Nintendogs in this house; he'll probably be petting his Pokemon before I am....

Oh great. If Prime gets his Gardevoir on there, he'll never stop using Pokemon-amie. I'll be the one needing a barf bucket at that point! (Seriously, the man does love his Gardevoir. She's his psychic-killer-death girl.)

Re: pokemon amie-the new bonding feature

I'm actually going to base a lot of my opinion on this on how they handle pokemon without mouths. Feeding a Beldum and having it have the same eating animation as any other pokemon will in my eyes cheapen this feature a lot. It would be nice if they had alternatives. Instead of feeding a Bronzor you instead had to wax it or something.

Pokemon amigo? Nah great liver your think too small. Greek based region with pokephilia. :D
Gen VI sequel confirmed, Pokemon XXX. Who else is excited for all that rule 34 to join the official canon.
Sinnoh myths - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Re: pokemon amie-the new bonding feature

They're really embracing the whole French thing. Next gen when we've got a game in Spain we can look forward to Pokemon amigo.

Yeah, or a Pokemon Siesta

I think Pokemon Amigo sounds good haha. Since this time France is the inspiration, the French word for "friend" is ami or amie. Amigo would be great for a Spain based region. :3

Read the Folk tales. Number two talks about Pokemon and humans transforming(?) into one another, while number three is noted that a literal translation talks about them marrying each other.

Does this remind anyone else of Dr. Footstep?
I was thinking of Dr. Footstep as well - specifically that different kinds of Pokémon might have different kinds of reactions to the petting and so on. Though with the 3D modelling, it might just be that every species has its own unique ways of responding. Which would be friggin' amazing. That's my new incentive to complete the dex right there: I must witness all of the cuteness.

Does this remind anyone else of Dr. Footstep?
I was thinking of Dr. Footstep as well - specifically that different kinds of Pokémon might have different kinds of reactions to the petting and so on. Though with the 3D modelling, it might just be that every species has its own unique ways of responding. Which would be friggin' amazing. That's my new incentive to complete the dex right there: I must witness all of the cuteness.

Haha. THIS!

My first thought after 'OMG CUTE' was 'now I have to literally catch every pokemon ever so I can witness their reaction to being petted'.

@Phoenixon Don't worry, you're not being sexist. It's a fair comment...as long as you don't generalise too much :) It is arguable that females often (not always in the West, but certainly more in Japanese culture) enjoy more sweet and cute and cuddly aspects of a game, the 'kawaii' factor, and it'll certainly attract all the ten year old girls who want to huggle an Igglybuff.

That said I'm sure there will be a QUEUE of dudes lining up on release day with tears in their eyes gushing about how they get to pet their favourite baby. And there will no doubt be the odd girl who thinks 'screw this gimme a Noivern and let's go f*ck up the nearest gym leader' (me, during the time I'm not hugging said Noivern using Pomeon Amie lol). I'm sure Pokemon Amie will provide entertainment for everyone!

I don't see how this feature could be regarded as a feminine feature. What's the difference between petting a Pokemon and a real life animal?? Who's going to tell me that men don't pet their pets?? I don't view this feature as something for either gender over the other.

I don't understand why they called it "amie" though. That's like a 'female friend'. Pokémon-ami would've made more sense to me.

I don't understand why they called it "amie" though. That's like a 'female friend'. Pokémon-ami would've made more sense to me.

Incredibly recognizable French stock-phrase I guess.

I like that you can break it down to "Poke my friend".

What Seba is saying is that "amie" is specifically used for females while "ami" is used for male friends.

I wonder why they used the feminine noun.

Last edited:

What Seba is saying is that "amie" is specifically used for females while "ami" is used for male friends.

I wonder why they used the feminine noun.

Yeah. The feminine subject is part of the stock-phrase.

Because English words ending in simply "i" are actually not that common (many are obviously imports) so a lot of people aren't immediately sure how to pronounce them. An "ie" at the end of a word is much more easily recognized as being pronounced "ee" (e.g. "movie")

So I don't know if this has been discussed elsewere, but from the official site:
As your Pokémon becomes more friendly, it may perform better in battle—by avoiding opponents’ attacks, landing critical hits, and more!
This new bonding feature increases critical hit rate and evasion. And other things.

Magma Storm incoming.
I can see some metagames that minimize chance banning this, while official Tournauments and other "do the best possible" metagames encouraging it. That'll be interesting to see.

Personally, I like how it could give a highlight to increased critical and fully accurate moves. I mean, deppending on how high the critical boost is, Farfetch'd could actually spam critical attacks.

So I don't know if this has been discussed elsewere, but from the official site:
As your Pokémon becomes more friendly, it may perform better in battle—by avoiding opponents’ attacks, landing critical hits, and more!
This new bonding feature increases critical hit rate and evasion. And other things.

Magma Storm incoming.
I can see some metagames that minimize chance banning this, while official Tournauments and other "do the best possible" metagames encouraging it. That'll be interesting to see.

Personally, I like how it could give a highlight to increased critical and fully accurate moves. I mean, deppending on how high the critical boost is, Farfetch'd could actually spam critical attacks.

grrrm I really don't want to be forced to pet a digital creature for it to attack better, that kind of annoys me a little. I don't mind it being in the game though, I just hope it does not effect to much.

"Its body is made of a powerful poison. Touching it accidentally will cause a fever that requires bed rest". Muk's pokedex entry. petting it is not something i would like to do

"Its body is made of a powerful poison. Touching it accidentally will cause a fever that requires bed rest". Muk's pokedex entry. petting it is not something i would like to do

As such, wear very thick gloves. Or, if I'm remembering this correctly (been a long time since I've watched the anime and don't really intend to any time soon), be Prof. Oak, since Ash's Muk frequently climbs on top of him.

Magma Storm incoming.

grrrm I really don't want to be forced to pet a digital creature for it to attack better, that kind of annoys me a little. I don't mind it being in the game though, I just hope it does not effect to much.

Probably said enhanced abilities will be turned off during link battles. After all, evasion, accuracy and critical hit ratio are not fullfledged stats.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom