• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon-Amie vs Walking Pokémon

Which do you like better?

• Pokémon-Amie

Votes: 34 54.8%
  • Walking Pokémon

Votes: 28 45.2%

• Total voters
I think they should bring back walking and have it so that you can choose which Pokémon can walk and then go into a better version of Pokemon Amie by talking to it

If they do that, i hope they making the walking pokemon thing option as its a horrible feature in my opinion.

I think they should bring back walking and have it so that you can choose which Pokémon can walk and then go into a better version of Pokemon Amie by talking to it

If they do that, i hope they making the walking pokemon thing option as its a horrible feature in my opinion.

Though I agree it should be made optional, I really do wonder why people want to turn it off so badly. Why is it bothering some people so much that a Pokémon is walking behind you?

Though I agree it should be made optional, I really do wonder why people want to turn it off so badly. Why is it bothering some people so much that a Pokémon is walking behind you?

Few reasons. I'll list them. Keep in mind this is my opinion and other walking haters may different. Many of these are due to game mechanics that were unavoidable in Gen 4 too.

1) Size consistancy. Typhlosion is 1.7m tall, 79kg. Cyndaquil is 0.5m tall, 7.9kg. They take up exactly the same area. (compare the two on the anime and manga too) (why is Wailord that small?!)

hqdefault.jpg

2) Weight doesn't matter. Snorlax is 460kg and doesn't break anything he walks on. He also walks faster than his anime depictions says he should be able to.

3) Walking pokemon is always the first in the party instead of the player's chosen pokemon.

4) Impersonal. Pokemon yellow and pokemon amie show pokemon facial expressions. Granted Yellows was a lot more limited to what Amie showed, but it was still there. HGSS had only a very small number of text it could give and only when interacting with the pokemon.

5) Roleplay/Immersion reasons. Ash's Pikachu hasn't been in its pokeball since the first episode - not counting the mewtwo balls in the movie. When Ash gets his pokemon treated at the pokemon center, Pikachu rides on the tray that carries his pokeballs. Whenever ash rides a water pokemon (surf) or a bike, Pikachu is there.

Now, granted that certain pokemon would raise an issue with number 1 and 2... but all pokemon return to their pokeball under certain situations in HGSS. I can't imagine my torchic is terriified of poke balls if he returns to it whenever i ride a bike, heal my pokemon, he faints, he's not the first pokemon, etc.

6) Not optional. I have this problem with mega evolution too, and thats the forced nature of walking pokemon. You couldn't play though HGSS without having a walking pokemon, just as you can't play though XY without ever mega evolving (Korrina forces you to).

Amie and Soar are both very awesome features... both of which are optional. Pokemon contests in ORAS is awesome but optional. Being forced to do something can take away from the awesomeness of it.

7) Water pokemon... on land.

EDIT: You also can't carry you pokemon or have it ride your shoulder like several anime characters (Ash, Brock, Misty, May, Dawn, Iris, etc) have done.

120px-Ash_DP_2.png

Last edited:
I like Amie, but admittedly it became repetitive for me after a while. Especially since there are only 3 mini-games.

Walking had a bit more charm to it. Pokemon in HGSS would have some of the silliest and most precious mannerisms that typically put a smile on my face :3 And that Shiny Leaf Crown thing was kind of a nice sidequest, albeit very time consuming.

Although I'm fine not having it, since I imagine it'd take a-lot of work to make that happen now...At least, compared to how things were sprite based before.

1) Size consistancy. Typhlosion is 1.7m tall, 79kg. Cyndaquil is 0.5m tall, 7.9kg. They take up exactly the same area. (compare the two on the anime and manga too) (why is Wailord that small?!)

2) Weight doesn't matter. Snorlax is 460kg and doesn't break anything he walks on. He also walks faster than his anime depictions says he should be able to.

7) Water pokemon... on land.

I do agree it should be made more realistic, heavy Pokémon like Snorlax should indeed sometimes break things and walk slower and I think water Pokémon shouldn't even be able to 'walk' behind you at all, except when you're surfing. However, the game would be unplayable if the Pokémon were their actual sizes when walking behind you, Wailord would take up your whole screen and you wouldn't be able to see a thing. It would mean a lot of Pokémon couldn't walk with you which would be a shame. And the game did take their sizes into account, large Pokémon weren't able to enter buildings.

3) Walking pokemon is always the first in the party instead of the player's chosen pokemon.

Agreed, you should be able to choose which Pokémon walks behind you.

4) Impersonal. Pokemon yellow and pokemon amie show pokemon facial expressions. Granted Yellows was a lot more limited to what Amie showed, but it was still there. HGSS had only a very small number of text it could give and only when interacting with the pokemon.

Though I agree it's sad they didn't show facial expressions, I do believe there were a lot of things they could 'say' and it even differed per location. It even differs per Pokémon sometimes, such as Sudowoodo imitating a tree on route 36, fire Pokémon are unhappy when walking in water, etc. (here's a whole list). Sadly I can't find a list of everything every Pokémon could 'say', but it was definitely more than the few animations they show in Amie. I know every Pokémon has different animations in Amie, but as you only travel with about 6 Pokémon it gets repetitive quite fast imo. I rather have a Pokémon 'say' different lines during the whole game, than keep watching the same three or four animations.

I think Amie is way more impersonal, because it's on a seperate screen and the background doesn't represent your location, so it doesn't really feel as if the Pokémon is actually with you, contrary to walking Pokémon where the Pokémon actually is with you.

5) Roleplay/Immersion reasons. Ash's Pikachu hasn't been in its pokeball since the first episode - not counting the mewtwo balls in the movie. When Ash gets his pokemon treated at the pokemon center, Pikachu rides on the tray that carries his pokeballs. Whenever ash rides a water pokemon (surf) or a bike, Pikachu is there.

Now, granted that certain pokemon would raise an issue with number 1 and 2... but all pokemon return to their pokeball under certain situations in HGSS. I can't imagine my torchic is terriified of poke balls if he returns to it whenever i ride a bike, heal my pokemon, he faints, he's not the first pokemon, etc.

It would indeed be fun if Pokémon could sit in a basket or run beside you when riding your bike. The fainting thing is harder to implement though, it would mean you'd have to carry it and I doubt you'd like to carry your Torchic when it's fully evolved. The walking Pokémon feature is the only feature that lets your Pokémon be with you outside of it's ball at all though, so I'd say it adds more to roleplaying that it detracts.

6) Not optional. I have this problem with mega evolution too, and thats the forced nature of walking pokemon. You couldn't play though HGSS without having a walking pokemon, just as you can't play though XY without ever mega evolving (Korrina forces you to).

Amie and Soar are both very awesome features... both of which are optional. Pokemon contests in ORAS is awesome but optional. Being forced to do something can take away from the awesomeness of it.

Agreed it should be optional, I also hate it that Mega Evolution is forced upon you. Off-topic I do have to disagree that soaring is optional though, cause you're forced to use it if you want to visit mirage spots.

Walking Pokémon is so cute! I remember when my Togetic found an item and I asked if I could get it, and he went on a mini-tantrum and refused to give me whatever he found. And even five minutes later when I was just checking up on how Togetic was doing, he was like "Nope!" and was still worried about whatever he found. Like, did he think I was faking being nice just to get his found item?! xD And when my Typhlosion was angry in the Radio Tower 'cause Team Rocket took it over, it made me feel more excited to take TR down 'cause I knew it would make my Pokémon feel better. Like, I was fighting TR less to save Johto, and more because my Pokémon wanted to take them down and save Johto.

Pokémon-Amie just feels so divorced from the main game. Like, obviously there are extras you can get for using it (the extra EXP, the shaking off of status effects, etc.), but Amie itself seems very tacked-on, and for me it's like, why use that time to play this tacked-on minigame when I could use that time to continue playing the story which is already easy to beat without the Amie-extras anyway? And like others have said it gets boring/repetitive very quickly, since you're playing the same three games, feeding the same PokéPuffs, and looking at the same background. I used it quite a bit in X (mostly to get Sylveon), but in ORAS I pretty much ignored it.

Ideally they would be integrated somehow, but I much prefer Walking Pokémon.

I do agree it should be made more realistic, heavy Pokémon like Snorlax should indeed sometimes break things and walk slower and I think water Pokémon shouldn't even be able to 'walk' behind you at all, except when you're surfing. However, the game would be unplayable if the Pokémon were their actual sizes when walking behind you, Wailord would take up your whole screen and you wouldn't be able to see a thing. It would mean a lot of Pokémon couldn't walk with you which would be a shame. And the game did take their sizes into account, large Pokémon weren't able to enter buildings.
I realize that game mechanics can get in the way of realism, but i don't have to like it, and honestly, it's still a black mark against walking for me.

Though I agree it's sad they didn't show facial expressions, I do believe there were a lot of things they could 'say' and it even differed per location. It even differs per Pokémon sometimes, such as Sudowoodo imitating a tree on route 36, fire Pokémon are unhappy when walking in water, etc. (here's a whole list). Sadly I can't find a list of everything every Pokémon could 'say', but it was definitely more than the few animations they show in Amie. I know every Pokémon has different animations in Amie, but as you only travel with about 6 Pokémon it gets repetitive quite fast imo. I rather have a Pokémon 'say' different lines during the whole game, than keep watching the same three or four animations.

I think Amie is way more impersonal, because it's on a seperate screen and the background doesn't represent your location, so it doesn't really feel as if the Pokémon is actually with you, contrary to walking Pokémon where the Pokémon actually is with you.
I never said Amie was perfect. Its just better. The pokemon at least have personalities with amie... and various pokemon are treated differently.

Don't worry... I do have a few black marks against Amie... and the primary black mark is how repetitive it is.

It would indeed be fun if Pokémon could sit in a basket or run beside you when riding your bike. The fainting thing is harder to implement though, it would mean you'd have to carry it and I doubt you'd like to carry your Torchic when it's fully evolved. The walking Pokémon feature is the only feature that lets your Pokémon be with you outside of it's ball at all though, so I'd say it adds more to roleplaying that it detracts.
Not the only feature. Amie does, as does Soar (for Latias/Latios).

The fainting thing isn't harder to implement. Ash's pikachu walks with him after it has fainted. It also cheers from the side lines after it's lost.

Also, you are right about Blaziken but Torchic and other very small pokemon it is believable to carry them.

Agreed it should be optional, I also hate it that Mega Evolution is forced upon you. Off-topic I do have to disagree that soaring is optional though, cause you're forced to use it if you want to visit mirage spots.

Mirage spots are optional though :) You need them to complete the pokedex, or to catch certain pokemon. But if you aren't after either of those, you can easily finish the game (beat the champ) without it.

Amie isn't perfect. I hate that its repetitive. I hate that it only has three minigames. I hate that it only has a very small number of animations.

Both have a lot of room for improvement but when i weight them together... Amie is still fun. I enjoy it. Walking pokemon in it's HGSS form has no fun factor and sets off more "bug bears" than the Anime's move/type errors.

If Game Freak implemented a version of walking pokemon that took most of that list into consideration, then i might feel differently. I might even love it. But in it's HGSS form, i never want to see it again.

Off topic but i think Nintendo missed a micro transaction opportunity with Amie. Like Mario's coin rush, and Mystery Dungeon's dungeons, they could have made a mini-game micro transaction/mystery gift system for the minigames.

The walking Pokémon feature is the only feature that lets your Pokémon be with you outside of it's ball at all though, so I'd say it adds more to roleplaying that it detracts.

Amie lets you play with the Pokémon outside of its ball true, but it isn't with you, in the overworld I mean. If you want to roleplay that your Torchic's afraid to go in its Pokéball, walking Pokémon is the only feature that makes that possible for at least most of the game. So for that reason it's a bit weird to say that walking Pokémon makes roleplaying hard, as it actually makes it better in this case.

The walking Pokémon feature is the only feature that lets your Pokémon be with you outside of it's ball at all though, so I'd say it adds more to roleplaying that it detracts.

Amie lets you play with the Pokémon outside of its ball true, but it isn't with you, in the overworld I mean. If you want to roleplay that your Torchic's afraid to go in its Pokéball, walking Pokémon is the only feature that makes that possible for at least most of the game. So for that reason it's a bit weird to say that walking Pokémon makes roleplaying hard, as it actually makes it better in this case.

My point was though that if I had a game with walking pokemon, in the sense of HGSS's version, then the feature would destroy the RP due to the occasions I mentioned.

As I said, I don't mind the CONCEPT of walking pokemon.. just HGSS's IMPLEMENTATION of it. :) I never want to see HGSS's version ever again.

Honestly, I'm not really a fan of either, but when it comes to "getting closer to your Pokemon", I prefer Pokemon Amie, as I'd rather pet, feed, and play with my Pokemon if I wanted a more personal connection with them. When I walked with my Pokemon before, I didn't exactly feel like I was developing a connection with them. Of course, this is just my stance on this matter, so you get a kick out of either of those features, more power to you.

Walking, for me, by a landslide.

Seriously, how much stuff did Guardian Signs do right?

Amie is a little silly in my opinion, especially the minigames.

I liked the way you could talk to the walking Pokémon and they'd actually respond based on postition, like on shores fire types would be sad, etc.

Maybe GF could combine them somehow.

I would have voted Walking Pokemon if I could have had Lugia walk behind me inside a building, or fly behind me when I'm surfing or riding a bicycle. Or have random NPCs scream and run away when I'm walking with a Wailord or other huge pokemon. Also, I wanted to hitch a ride on Metagross like Steven does so 'walking' is actually riding on a pokemon. So much potential, gone to waste. And it wasn't even optional, either.

Amie is better because I'm spending time petting my pokemon whenever I want to and their reactions are so cute. The only thing that bothers me are human-like pokemon such as Gardevoir and Gallade because they make me so uncomfortable. Their reactions are too human. It doesn't feel the same as when I'm playing with Raichu or Wigglytuff.

I like both myself, walking with the Pokemon makes it feel like I have some company with me on the field rather than just only being able to see my Pokemon when I send them out to battle, and I personally liked walking with the Pokemon I liked. Amie makes me feel like I have direct interaction with my Pokemon, treating them like how I would treat my own pets in real life, not to mention that it benefits the Pokemon when I battle, plus it's just so cute.

Personally, I think they should combine both, like interact with your Pokemon directly on the field and it would do a lot, like have them find items and accessories on the ground, see what they think of the situation, while being able to pet and play around with them at the same time, along with seeing them up close.

Overall, I just really like it when the game implements greater interactivity with the Pokemon rather than just have them be used as nothing more than soulless battling machines all the time, as it makes the Pokemon themselves feel more alive.

Last edited:
Amie was cute and all, but after a while I just used it to get max affection, not because it was genuinely entertaining. Ironically enough, I didn't feel much closer to my Pokemon either. To me, it just didn't have much substance.

Walking, on the other hand, did. They were with me at all times and I remember I kept on turning around to talk to them every minute or so. It was incredibly adorable and it made me feel close to them. Surely put a smile to my face.

I know ever since the Pokemon games have gone full polygonal 3D I've been skeptical on how walking Pokemon would ever be able to make it back because of size issues, but nowadays I'm more open to it. RPG overworld maps made it work, so they could probably make it work if they just wanted to.

Walking Pokemon produces weird moments, like your Sycther "Poking at your belly". I'm pretty sure if you touch a sharp bit of a Pokemon in Amie, your hand gets "cut"

amie is absolute trash, bring back walking

.... [/exaggerating] Amie is...okay? I mean, any program that allows me to pet gulpin and whatnot can't be any worse than okay. Still, I much prefer pokemon following you. Why'd they take it out? Lazy ass game freak.

While Walking Pokemon was very cute and interesting, after playing through Pokemon ORAS, I have to say, Pokemon Amie by a longshot. Walking Pokemon is very limited and there's not much too it other than just walking with them and seeing how they feel, which is also limited, and it otherwise adds nothing to the continuity of the game. With Pokemon-amie however, it has done wonders for me feeling more involved with my pokemon, as well as feeling like our bonding has made more of a difference (and it has!). I feel like they are truly my partner in poke-battles, and I love being able to play with them, and reward them with treats and petting, being able to talk to them, etc. I think GameFreak is really on to something here.

What really struck a chord with me is the Amie because for years, I've been wanting something like this, being able to interact more with my pokemon, and now when you spend more time with them, they're able to overcome obstacles that simply walking with your pokemon wouldn't ever accomplish. For example, I faced the Pokemon League in OR, and if it hadn't been for me bonding so closely with my Pokemon, I believe I would have likely lost the fight and had to start over from the beginning. But my Roserade, who I so lovingly nicknamed Roz, pulled through for me, and actually tanked two hits from Stevens dragon pokemon just to "show me how tough it was." And one of those hits was an endure.

Things like that pulled at my heartstrings and makes me really feel like me making the effort to get closer to my pokemon is really rewarded with their loyalty and heightening strength. On many occasions, my Pokemon either tanked hits that would've otherwise destroyed them in battle, gotten rid of illnesses I couldn't help with myself, and dodged moves at critical moments that were really needed to win. Sorry but, compared to that, just walking with your pokemon pales considerably in comparison. Granted, I think they could push it a bit further and offer up some more interesting games (I favor the one where the yarn drops from the sky myself xD), and maybe even have the option to play other cute games, (maybe tug-of-war or something like that).

I must say Amie because to me I get a strong sense that my Pokémon actually care about me like when my Chesnaught takes a brave bird but survived because he didn't want to disappoint me or by getting a critical hit because he cares so much about our victory.
I didn't get that feel from walking because my Pokémon were so bipolar it's like one moment they adored me but then if I take an item for them they act like they hate me or something.
That said GF should combine the two IMO

I really like Pokémon Amie since I think it's really cute. It gives me the feeling that I am closer to my Pokémon when petting them and feeding them, though walking Pokémon is also pretty cute as well~

I lean towards walking Pokémon with this one because it actually felt more like you were interacting with your Pokémon in the real world. Pokémon-Amie is fun for like ten minutes and then it's just the same old stuff over and over again, but I do it because it makes my Pokémon better in the in-game battles. Walking with your Pokémon is just a lot more fun, adorable, and realistic, and a lot less time-consuming.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom