• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Amiibo Compatibility

Will Pokemon Amiibo Be Compatible With Sun And Moon

• Total voters

Apawn:p

Fate Has Brought Us Here!
Reaction score
So this thread is to discus about Pokemon Amiibo compatibility, Do you think they will be compatible? How So? Ect.

They will probably have Amiibo compatibility since Nintendo is really pushing that across the board. Might unlock special items or locations, or - in a perfect world - customization options.

If there is customizasion they should make all Amiibo compatible and give outfits. Like Links or Mario.

I'm not sure how, but I definitely think they will be. It's one of Nintendo's biggest assests, there's no way they're not gonna have some usage in game. Even if it's only for minor things, like in Twilight Princess HD and Fire Emblem Fates.

A lot of Nintendo's series are now using them, it'd be silly of them not to integrate the Pokemon amiibo into their mother series.

They likely will, it's a new generation. Ideas that come to mind are Lucario & Mewtwo handing out their mega stones, Pikachu unlocking a Vollt Tackle tutor or Cosplay Pikachu and maybe Greninja unlocking Ash-Greninja.

I wouldn't like Pokemon going the "outfits from other Nintendo characters" route, because those games rarely do something special for Pokemon. The only ones that deserve something are Mario and Splatoon, and Smash Brothers obviously.

Maybe the amiibo could just give you a special Pokémon with an exclusive move or ability. Like, using the Jigglyuff amiibo gives you a Jigglypuff with Boomburst or something along these lines.

They will probably have Amiibo compatibility since Nintendo is really pushing that across the board. Might unlock special items or locations, or - in a perfect world - customization options.
I had originally speculated amiibo characters from Smash unlocking NPC characters to battle...but what if the customization comes back and amiibos unlock costumes?

I'd like to think the extant Pokemon amiibo would unlock something more interesting.

inb4 Greninja amiibo unlocks Ash Greninja in battle

I had originally speculated amiibo characters from Smash unlocking NPC characters to battle...but what if the customization comes back and amiibos unlock costumes?
I wouldn't be super jazzed about full-on costumes, but clothing and accessories inspired by the characters or their series would be cool to see - Shulk unlocking his jacket, Kirby unlocking a hat based on himself, etc.

To take the Ash Greninja thing more seriously, here's how I think it would work:

On Greninja:
  • Visual aesthetics change to look similar to Ash-Greninja
  • Maximize affection in battle, affording you all the benefits of max affection. If affection is at maximum already, you go to Affection Level S, which adds an additional x1.1 modifier on all your stats.
On all other Pokemon:
  • Maximize affection in battle, affording you all the benefits of max affection. If affection is at maximum already, you go to Affection Level S, which adds an additional x1.1 modifier on all your stats.
  • No changes in visual aesthetic.
As for other Amiibo

Mewtwo amiibo:
  • Creates an effect similar to the Berserk Gene, where the Pokemon's attack is raised by 2 stages and becomes confused.
Jigglypuff amiibo:
  • Causes the opponent to fall asleep
As for the others...I don't know. For game reasons, I'd imagine that like Mega Stones, you can only use one amiibo per battle, and only once.

Though I'd really rather them not, they probably will. They really like the money printer that is Amiibo. Which means those who can't afford to buy a bunch of amiibos are going to miss out on that extra content. So hopefully whatever content it provides is negligible at best and does little to alter the game play.

All 800+ Pokemon gets their own Amiibo.

GOTTA CATCH EM ALL SUCKERS

gif.gif

That would.... actually be pretty neat. Would there be some way to tie it in with the TCG?
I was thinking TCG--I don't think the regular cards should have it since the technology is still probably more expensive than they're willing to put in the cards (and also I'd much rather try to collect limited figures than all the Pokemon cards), but current TCG booster packs already have a card with a code for an electronic booster pack. Maybe they can start creating "character cards" or something with prominent game characters?

Having to pay an extra 15 bucks just to get a specific outfit isn't what I call a perfect world :p

Maybe the amiibo could just give you a special Pokémon with an exclusive move or ability. Like, using the Jigglyuff amiibo gives you a Jigglypuff with Boomburst or something along these lines.

I like this idea a lot better, cause that way the Amiibo is more sort of an actual Pokémon which you can also see ingame, like how Amiibo work in SSB.

Though I'd really rather them not, they probably will. They really like the money printer that is Amiibo. Which means those who can't afford to buy a bunch of amiibos are going to miss out on that extra content. So hopefully whatever content it provides is negligible at best and does little to alter the game play.

But I mostly agree with this. I'm not interested in buying any of the Pokémon Amiibo and not everyone has an extra 15 bucks to spend, so please let the extra content be negligible.

From October 2014:

But Masuda would be interested in extending this idea to Amiibo support if it would introduce further gameplay elements.

"You might be aware that Pokemon as a brand used NFC for Pokemon Rumble U for the Wii U," he told GameSpot.

"Not in the exact same way as that, but if we can find some really cool way out to use Amiibo with NFC, and add some new type of gameplay, then I think we'd definitely be supportive of using it in the future."

I was thinking TCG--I don't think the regular cards should have it since the technology is still probably more expensive than they're willing to put in the cards (and also I'd much rather try to collect limited figures than all the Pokemon cards), but current TCG booster packs already have a card with a code for an electronic booster pack. Maybe they can start creating "character cards" or something with prominent game characters?
That would be pretty cool - and it would create an incentive for people who ordinarily wouldn't buy packs of cards (myself, for example) to do so.

Having to pay an extra 15 bucks just to get a specific outfit isn't what I call a perfect world :p

I like this idea a lot better, cause that way the Amiibo is more sort of an actual Pokémon which you can also see ingame, like how Amiibo work in SSB.

But I mostly agree with this. I'm not interested in buying any of the Pokémon Amiibo and not everyone has an extra 15 bucks to spend, so please let the extra content be negligible.
I would much rather have the amiibos give outfits than pokemon with exclusive movesets, because the way I see it outfits are negligible. I don't ever plan to buy amiibos and I would much rather miss out on a purely cosmetic thing like an outfit than something that actually effects gameplay.

I hope that if amiibo functionality is utilised with Sun/Moon, it retains Nintendo's ethos of being just a neat addition that doesn't inhibit enjoyment of the full game; something I think exclusive moves might do. I like the idea of them unlocking items of clothing for a returning character customisation feature, such as a Pikachu hat or Charizard wing-inspired cape (Why didn't X/Y let us wear capes? Does Edna work for GameFreak?).

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom