• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Pokémon amiibo

SeanWheeler

Reaction score
Anyone like amiibo? What if the next Pokémon game had amiibo? With all 721 Pokémon as amiibo figures, that could be a new challenge to catch 'em all, with money.

Perhaps the third Kalos game, Pokémon Z can have amiibo functionality? And there can be a new character named Marion. Marion is a guy who handles amiibos. When you meet Marion, you unlock his PC to use in any Pokémon Center. On Marion's PC, you can register an amiibo, insert Pokémon amiibos into your party, send them back to Marion, use the amiiball, view your collection of registered amiibos, customize Marion's party, email Marion to battle and play amiibo games.

When you use an amiibo, you would have to tap the amiibo to send it out in battle, check the summary, switch it out in battle, select the fight option, gain experience points, registering it, withdrawing it, depositing it and when Marion sends it out in battle.

Amiibos can't evolve, be put in the day-care, deposited into Cassius' storage system, put in Pokémon Bank or traded to other players.

Amiibos can be transferred by tapping the figure to a friend's game and can exclusively be used for the Pokémiibo app, online amiibo battles and Marion's party.

The amiiball is a Poké Ball shaped amiibo which can store one of your normal Pokémon for amiibo features and can be used for transferring to a friend's game or taking the Pokémon to a Generation VII game.

Some amiibo may learn more moves than the average Pokémon such as Pikachu learning a move called Thunder Jolt, which is new to Pokémon Z. Charmander learns Flamthrower early at level 7.

Super Smash Bros. figures of Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja and Mewtwo would compatible with Pokémon Z. The difference between the Smash variants and the Pokémon figures are that they can't go past level 50 and they are stuck with their Smash Bros. special moves and can't learn any new moves. They have their OT as "SMASH". The Pokémon variants of these amiibo aren't compatible with Super Smash Bros.

Pokémiibo is a free downloadable app from the Nintendo eshop. It is about Marion training your amiibo while your off wandering Kalos. The minigames include "Hunt" where Marion scavenges for items and wild Pokémon, "Spar" where Marion uses his Pikachu to spar with your Pokémon, "Smash" where your Pokémon amiibo fights an non-Pokémon amiibo from Super Smash Bros, in the Pokémon Battle "Tap" a puzzle game where you tap the Pokémon pictured, Amiibo Math" where you do math with National Dex numbers of amiibos.

Amiibos may be used for a 3D Pokémon Battle. Not Pokken, but a game on the Wii U based on the Stadium series.

Pokémon amiibos would have figures designed after Ken Sugimori's current artwork with stands that resemble Poké Balls. Some figures are aided in balancing by clear plastic things.

So what do you think of this idea? Don't you think it would be cool?

While it's a good idea in theory, I don't think it'd be so good in practice. You speak of "collecting them all with money," but what of the children who have to rely on their parents to get things? What parent is going to want to spend all of that money on amiibo so that their child can collect them all? Probably not many.

Plus, while Nintendo/Game Freak/whoever would rack in the big bucks, with 721 Pokemon to make amiibo, I doubt that they would expect very many people, if any, to collect them all. A single amiibo, at the moment, costs $12.99 in the US. $12.99 * 721 = $9365.79. It's nearly $10000 for one person to collect all of the Pokemon amiibo out there. That $9365.79 is also excluding tax, so it probably actually is closer to 10 grand once you factor that in, but tax laws are different everywhere, so I won't fiddle too much with that.

It's a good idea in theory, but in practice, it would probably flop horribly because of monetary reasons. It would be nice, however, if they did make amiibo for popular Pokemon and introduce amiibo functionality in the 7th generation of games; also allow usage of non-Pokemon amiibo like the Smash amiibo and the Yoshi's Wooly World amiibo. I don't think it'd work out so well in gen 6 solely because of how the amiibo are going at the moment and how difficult it is to get them currently, and also because I don't think they're going to release the next main series game on the New 3DS unless the next main series game is gen 7. Even then though, there's not many differences between the old 3DS and the New 3DS to warrant a whole new generation on those systems. amiibo functionality is a possibility for the Pokemon games, but I highly doubt there would be amiibo for all 721 Pokemon.

Funny you should mention that:

Rumour: Code Digging With amiibo Raises Potential for a Future of Pokémon Cards and Mii Fighters - Nintendo Life

I don't think your idea would really work well, because of their temporary nature it doesn't really make sense to have Amiibo Pokemon join your team automatically. I think the following are more likely:

-A trainer battle that uses the scanned Amiibo, much like the Trainer House and e-Reader.
-Triggers the scanned Amiibo to appear in the wild somewhere in the game (maybe through swarms or a Friend Safari type place).

I think the latter would be a more interesting and worthwhile usage of Amiibo.

How about amiibo that can be sold in booster packs? And in waves?

And in battles, when the game is waiting for an amiibo, there is a three minute timer and a button that says "Where is it?" If the timer runs out, or you push "Where is it?" You forfeit the match and black out.

And how about each booster pack of 6 Pokémon can cost $20 and individual pack can cost $5. And there can be super packs of 100 Pokémon that cost $100. And a Master Pack with all 721 Pokémon at $500.

And the Pokédex can have an amiibodex mode. The amiibodex, is an index of all amiibo available, with checkmarks for those registered in your game and U's for upcoming. On the other side of the names, there are symbols for each line of amiibo. Pokémon have Poké Balls, Smash characters have the Smash Ball, Mario characters have a mushroom, Splatoon figures have a paint splat, and Yoshi dolls have a yarn egg.

And to discourage people from completing the National Dex with just amiibo, amiibo don't count in the Pokédex, even if they are used in the party. They are just added to the amiibodex.

To be honest I don't think GameFreak will do much with amiibo right now. Especially with Yoshi's Wooly World not being compatible with the pokemon amiibo. And if they do get introduced I hope it's something small like outfits.

At this point having amiibo for all pokemon is impossible. If Happy Home Designer does well I could maybe see cards being possible, but I think that would clash with the TCG.

Although GF might get pushed by Nintendo to use them in some way.

At this point having amiibo for all pokemon is impossible. If Happy Home Designer does well I could maybe see cards being possible, but I think that would clash with the TCG.

Or they could just give the TCG Amiibo support.

True, although I can't help but feel that it would drive up the price a bit. I know nfc chips are cheap, but there would have to be some sort of added costs somewhere.

If the folks at Game Freak decided to utilize Amiibo support, I'd imagine them only making figures of the more popular Pokemon. We already have the Pokemon that appeared in Smash Bros., so for support of the actual Pokemon games, I'd imagine they would go with the typical Pokemon such as legendaries, starters, and the Eeveelutions.

I cannot imagine Nintendo going through the trouble to make all 720+ Pokemon. I'm going on a hypothetical stretch here, but should they decide to make an Amiibo for every single Pokemon released, I would imagine they would only be sold in Pokemon Centers throughout Japan, and they would be very limited. As much as I and every other Pokemon fan would love for that to happen (believe me, I would break out into tears if this happened), that is very doubtful, especially for the reasons Felly described.

There's no way that they would make Amiibos out of all 720 Pokemon. I have a really hard time imagining that they would even consider making obscure (and honestly really lame Pokemon) like Basculin into Amiibos, and while I don't know much about business and economics, the whole idea sounds like a big risk with low chance of proper payout. If they wanted to make more Pokemon besides Pikachu, Charizard and Lucario, they'll stick to other popular ones to make money.

Could be possible, but it would more than likely be with pokken or something like so.

I already broke the bank on skylanders. I DO NOT what to pay for pokemons.

Well, maybe they would release only the popular ones? Or at least start with the popular ones and make the less popular ones rarer. And if you don't want to collect them, you wouldn't have to.

I am not sure that would be the best idea. After all, if they don't count in the Pokédex and their use is very limited, I don't see how making and selling Pokémon Amiibos would do Nintendo or Game Freak any favors, especially since people will be more reluctant to by the Pokémon amiibos in the way you described how they would work. I also don't see every single Pokémon getting an amiibo either.

Personally, I think that it would work better for things like Mythical Pokémon so that you don't get locked out of getting them if you wanted to restart a new game to use them in. I also agree with @Bolt the Cat in regards to having downloadable optional trainers like the e-Reader trainers back in the third generation. Imagine getting an N amiibo or other important characters from multiple generations to face off against! That would be perfect if this happened for the 20th anniversary!

I wouldn't trust them to cover all 721 Pokémon if this were actually announced. It'd most likely just be fan-favourites like Charizard and Greninja since I'm quickly growing convinced of their disregard for Gens II-V.

Downloadable optional trainers though? Yes please.

Maybe if they do a Pokken Tournament 2 with an expanded roster they could do an Amiibo line for all the playable Pokemon with Amiibo cards for the supporter Pokemon?

However, instead of just selling amiibo based off just Pokemon, why not offer an Amiibo trainer card? I loved in HS/SS where you could go to the Game Corner and have a picture of your current team put onto your in-game trainer ID. So what if everyone could have an actual Amiibo Trainer ID card that has their Battle Box Pokemon, Secret Base, and even accomplishments (gym badges/medals/diplomas for completing the Pokedex) all saved so that they can easily swap with other trainers or even use to join battles and tournaments easier. Most of this is already shareable via streetpass but it would just be fun to have a physical ID.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom