• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in pop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in

What's even more strange, as the article pointed out, that writer knows Pokemon other than the first 151. Surely something like that is unthinkable when making a parody of Pokemon.
Well, íf one of the writers is a Pokémon fan, then of course he wouldn't only know the first 151.

Re: Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in

Wow, I had no idea about the Swellow cameo! That's so cool!

906vlcsnap_2010_09_12_16h.png

He says Swallows. It's not a Swellow cameo.

Aw! You forgot to include that Big Barda Plays the Pokemon TCG!

Then again, I'm a comic tard. I just found that hilarious :'D

that episode actually just aired recently. Everybody Loves Raymond is an awesome show. It was a Scramisaur card that she traded for and it evolved by "getting the sonic crystal." lol, good times.

On topic: Great article. What was the reference to Pokemon in Goldmember?

I think there was a dancing Celebi in an outtake/blooper reel at some point. Can't remember though

Going to go watch the episode Chinpokomon :).

Surprisingly, their Japanese is actually accurate.

They even say "Miesasenasai!" or something like that at some point, meaning "Show them!".

"I wonder what it's like inside those pokeballs?"
"I wonder when you'll shut up and make my dinner."

Thise are swallows in the Simpsons movie, not swellows. Not only is it too bscure a pokemon to make an effective reference, the birds seen do not look like swellow, Kent Brockman says "swallow" they do look like swallows and not swellows, swellow is really quite an uncreative pokemon, so its easy to see why swellows look enough like swallows to get confused, and they arent swellows theyre swallows.

Thise are swallows in the Simpsons movie, not swellows. Not only is it too bscure a pokemon to make an effective reference, the birds seen do not look like swellow, Kent Brockman says "swallow" they do look like swallows and not swellows, swellow is really quite an uncreative pokemon, so its easy to see why swellows look enough like swallows to get confused, and they arent swellows theyre swallows.

As Austin Powers would say, "Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed."

What was the reference to Pokemon in Goldmember?

During one scene in Tokyo people in Pikachu and I think Charmander costumes were running around. IIRC, there were other brief cameos in some of the deleted scenes too.

I must do it...

I wonder if they were African or European swallows.

Anyway, good read, didn't realize there were that many pokemon cameos. Brought back memories of when I collected the cards waaay back when and I had a little slot in my book for the Charizard Card I'd never have.

906vlcsnap_2010_09_12_16h.png

He says Swallows. It's not a Swellow cameo.

You know, that doesn't really disprove anything. Subtitles are wrong all of the time. I've noticed this a lot since I basically have to watch TV with subtitles in order to understand what is being said.

During one scene in Tokyo people in Pikachu and I think Charmander costumes were running around. IIRC, there were other brief cameos in some of the deleted scenes too.

Oh, I remember that! Didn't it like deflate or something?

Also in a simpsons episode there was a spoof on bakugan and a kid said it makes digimon look like pokemon.
EDIT:Yah in a Total Drama subtitle it says Explodiva instead of Explosivo. And the subtitlers probaly never watched pokemon.

At all the people who doubt the Swellow cameo: why then, did the writers of the movie choose those particular birds as opposed to pigeons or something? All comedies are carefully scripted and aesthetics are very important in an animated comedy, so "coincidences" like these are more often than not intentional. It seems like an intentional reference to me, albeit one very subtle.

You know, that doesn't really disprove anything. Subtitles are wrong all of the time. I've noticed this a lot since I basically have to watch TV with subtitles in order to understand what is being said.

Of course, because it's the right word for the species it MUST be wrong. It's not a Pokemon reference, period.

They probably wouldn't put "Swellow" in the subtitles because it falls into a sort of grey area with copyrights.

This article makes me so happy. :D

At all the people who doubt the Swellow cameo: why then, did the writers of the movie choose those particular birds as opposed to pigeons or something?
Swallows are common migratory birds, and were returning to the town, not realising there was a big dome put over it since they were last there, thus they all crashed into it. That was the joke.

And honestly, does this really need to become a debate? Just look at them for crying out loud. They don't even share any of the few features Swellow has that seperate it from any other cartoon swallow in the first place.

Last edited:

This piece of information sure is hard to swallow.

This piece of information sure is hard to swallow.
You mean its hard to swellow.

Why doesn't anyone who has the DVD just listen to what he says considering that the pronunciation of Swellow and Swallow are quite different rather than relying on subtitles that on many occasions, may not be accurate.

Last edited:

I had a Charizard card (sparkles and everything) but then some jerk on my street stole it then threw it down the drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom