• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in pop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in

Why doesn't anyone who has the DVD just listen to what he says considering that the pronunciation of Swellow and Swallow are quite different rather than relying on subtitles that on many occasions, may not be accurate.

Alright, I'm going to go listen to it, be back with the result soon.

Edit: It was a bit hard to tell, but I listened about 3 times on full volume and I can say he definitely said "swallows".

So we have no evidence that they intended for it to be a Swellow cameo.

Last edited:
Re: Pokémon: An international cultural phenomenon: An examination of the franchise in

Swallows are common migratory birds, and were returning to the town, not realising there was a big dome put over it since they were last there, thus they all crashed into it. That was the joke.

And honestly, does this really need to become a debate? Just look at them for crying out loud. They don't even share any of the few features Swellow has that seperate it from any other cartoon swallow in the first place.

You're the smartest person in this argument, mostly because you're the only one who knows about the swallow's migratory habits. (Like, seriously, nobody has ever heard of the swallows returning to Capistrano every year? Jeez.)

It's not a Pokémon reference, and those who think it is are either just ignorant, or they're simply fanboying or fangirling over a show making what they think is an extremely obscure reference to their favorite video game. It makes no fucking sense for them to just throw a flock of Swellow into The Simpsons Movie, but it does make perfect sense for them to be regular old swallows. This is a classic case of foolish people thinking they know more than sensible people and only proving themselves to be even greater fools in the process.

It's surprising that this article claims to showcase the "international"-ness of Pokemon but gives references to mostly American shows.

Aren't there any other "foreign" shows that have made references to Pokemon besides the two already mentioned in the article?

All this dissection of that line in the article and no one's pointed out the misplaced apostrophe?

^ I noticed it, but I didn't really think it needed to be brought up.

I'm not sure of my position on this swellow/swallow debate. Although, swellows have the little crest on their head. I don't see it!
For proof, over here right now, swallows are like the nd most common animal to see, so I can just look out the window and wonder(although I can't right now cause it's night)

I find it funny that, just after reading this article, I saw a Pokémon reference in a webcomic I read. :XD:

Also, those are clearly swallows, not Pokémon.

i actually just saw the simpsons episode from where that picture was taken from. Ash said "digibot" instead of pokémon:p Another reference I know is also from The Simpsons, when Ralph was playing with bakugan. Bart asked what they were and got this reply from Ralph "It's bakugan. It makes digimon look like Pokémon.":loopy:

Surprisingly, their Japanese is actually accurate.

They even say "Miesasenasai!" or something like that at some point, meaning "Show them!".

Last time I checked one of the writers knew Japanese, had a Japanese wife, and is basically obsessed with Japan. Makes sense it would be accurate.

They were swallows, not Swellows.

You know, the actual bird?
Ditto. Kent Brockman also clearly says "Swallow". I'll rewatch it when I have time. Shouldn't that bit be edited out, as it's untrue?
Swellow: http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/b9/Ash_Swellow.png
Swallow: http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/5c/SwellowSimpsons.jpg

Also, if the Charizard was so rare, why did I keep on getting them? All I wanted was a Blastoise.

Wow a non-American show mentioned in the article (Although it was Top Gear >>).

The article was well written, but I felt it was incredibly short, and was pulling at straws at some points (such as the list of shows that mentioned it bla bla bla...and the Swallows) and became more about "What shows have referenced Pokémon" than the global impact of the franchise. It didn't really measure what it intended to measure, so isn't a valid article in my books [/psychology]. A more meaningful (albeit negative) thing to mention would have probably been how now, all Japanese anime have to have a warning before them about light levels. Also, how unlike other franchises, Pokémon has its own company department (Sonic Team makes non-Sonic games. GameFreak have made other games, but The Pokémon Company is its own department), the Pokémon Centre stores, PokéPark, sales figures, stuff like that. THAT shows more of an impact in Popular Culture than a few second clip on The Simpsons.

To add to the list of references, a Charmander plush is often seen in the background of Reese, Malcolm and Dewey's room in Malcolm in the Middle, and in one episode, Dewey gets into a fight with a kid at a party, while Pokémon cards are seen spewed across the table.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom