• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Ancestry and Lineage

MissingNo. 1

Reaction score
Okay so I'm sure it's common knowledge that Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon while Arceus is the supposed "god". Asking which came first is practically the chicken vs. egg argument. And there's also man-made Pokemon like the Porygon-lineage and Genesect. It raises a lot of controversies. So I'll start a thread about this where people can share their theories. I'll post mine below to get this started.

I believe that Arceus was the first Pokemon to descend into the world. There it created the Creation trio: Dialga, Palkia and Giratina. Those three shaped the Pokemon World as we know it. And then all those unbreedable Pokemon, speaking legendaries that can't breed with Ditto, were somehow created, some by Arceus and some created each other like how Ho-oh created the legendary dogs. And then there was the Mew species. Mew was once a common Pokemon that was significant for its Transform ability, being able to carry the genetics of all Pokemon. Thus, the Mew species started producing the typical Pokemon, those with egg groups that can breed. And looking at Mew's ability to learn any teachable move that's not a signature move for one Pokemon like the elemental Hyper Beams, it's presumable that Mew passed on different abilities to different offsprings. Different Mew knew different abilities so different Pokemon of different types were born, as well as different Egg Groups.

But over time, the Mew species started to dwindle. Some died and disappeared from existence, others were devolving into the Ditto species, a Pokemon that carried the ability of Mew to transform into any Pokemon but lost the ability to perform other abilities that the Mew species had on its own. Thus, Ditto is just a fraction of Mew, just its transform ability. However, Ditto still had the ability to produce any Pokemon that Mew was able to. So if Ditto was placed in a Day Care with any Pokemon that's a descendant of Mew, then it can produce that Pokemon. But there's one small controversy: genderless Pokemon. Most genderless Pokemon (if not all) are either man-made or extraterritorial so they don't share the genetics of normal Pokemon. However, the people who created them were smart enough to be able to create the patterns of genes that normal Pokemon have so the man-made Pokemon are still Pokemon in its own rights, as shown by how they still use the same moves and are of the same type as normal Pokemon. Thus, Ditto can manipulate its own genes to match that of the man-made Pokemon to breed with it. That's how you can breed a genderless Pokemon with Ditto but not of its same species.

And let's not forget Mewtwo. It's a fact that scientists from Cinnabar got hold of Mew's genes and used them to create Mewtwo. So while Mewtwo is not a descendant of Mew and thus it can't breed with Ditto, it was created from a part of Mew through genetic engineering and thus Mewtwo is still connected with Mew.

My theory:
The Sinnoh myths are all lies. Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon including Arceus. Man-made Pokemon have Mew's DNA because in order to make a Pokemon you must modify the DNA of an already existing Pokemon. The end.

I can agree with much of your basic Hypothesis though I disagree with the idea that Arceus created Dialga, Palkia and Giratina
rather I can see all four originating from other Dimensions and together they shaped the Universe Billions of years ago.

Then Mew arrived and proceeded to Populate the newly formed world with the first Pokemon
although those Pokemon were vastly different then what we have today.
From these First Pokemon Originated Most of the Pokemon what we find today.

In addition, throughout history there have been many new instances of Pokemon arising through other means
and possibly from other Dimensions the same as Arceus, Dialga, Palkia and Giratina had.

I also disagree with the notion that Ditto's are devolved Mews,
not that it's impossible but rather just because it feels wrong somehow; Just doesn't feel canon.
Rather instead, I've always believed Ditto were a product of Mew's original Creation Process
Even possibly a result of Mew not being able to create new Pokemon anymore (Ditto being the only result.)
It is my Hypothesis that Mew generate Ditto-like "Proto-Pokemon" which,
through a Metamorphosis Process, Transform into a New Pokemon Species.

Though, this theory lies highly on whether or not they are going to Ret-con Mew's story in the Gen 1 games,
or if they're going to stick to the Anime Canon instead.

Last edited:
Mespirit, Azelf, and Uxie created humans, but some ended up in Unova, far away from the other regions. Arceus created the Legendary Dragon to watch over them. Then, after the two heroes argued, the dragon split into Reshiram and Zekrom, while the corpse, Kyurem, fell to the ground as a comet.

I believe that all the myths are actually false, and that everyone's just roleplaying along trying to fool the pc. Everything came from Solosis, and humans are descended from slakoth's fossil/rock type counterpart. :)

I agree with the standard, Arceus is a lower g god, Mew is the ancestor for all standard 'Mons.

Then Mew arrived and proceeded to Populate the newly formed world with the first Pokemon

True that.

It's probably like biodiversity. As time progresses, some of the same Pokemon species would not breed with each other. Eventually, their genome would get so different from the other that they were a completely new species. There aren't many fossil Pokemon compared to modern Pokemon, but there's probably some more out there.

---

And I agree with the Mew diverging into egg groups... Unless it's like the Mineral group; how on earth does a cat thing turn into a piece of metal?

True that.

It's probably like biodiversity. As time progresses, some of the same Pokemon species would not breed with each other. Eventually, their genome would get so different from the other that they were a completely new species. There aren't many fossil Pokemon compared to modern Pokemon, but there's probably some more out there.

---

And I agree with the Mew diverging into egg groups... Unless it's like the Mineral group; how on earth does a cat thing turn into a piece of metal?

Because not all Pokemon originated solely from Mew.
Much of Pokemon Life have sprung forth from various sources,
Though I wouldn't discount the Idea that Mew (as the Incarnate of Life)
is the cause of the force that enables life to Spontaneously Generate from non-living matter.

I've estimated that only about 1/3 of the Pokemon we currently know of Originated from the first Pokemon Created.

And this is only going on the assumption that Mew Actively created the First Pokemon
and not simply caused the First Pokemon to Spontaneously Generate in the same way.
When we think about the Mythology of how Mew create the first Pokemon,
we too often fall into trap of thinking of it as a literal concept of conscious, deliberate "God-like Creation"
But I think it might of been far more "subtle" then that, in that Mew's simple existence and presence is what caused Life to begin.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom