• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Anime Character's Teams

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Title's self-explanatory.

I'm starting out with Pokemon I'd like Ash, Jessie and James to catch in the current Pocket Monsters (2019) series. I'm not making a list for Go yet because I have no idea yet what they'll be doing with him. Honorable mentions are simply just a secondary list of Pokemon I'd like the following characters to get, but don't want or need them to have as badly as the main ones listed. Enjoy!

Ash
  • Pikachu
  • Blipbug > Dottler > Orbeetle: Hasn't caught a regional bug since Black & White, and I believe would be a fun Pokemon for him to have, also if fully evolved will be his first Psychic Pokemon.
  • Rookidee > Corvisquire > Corviknight: With the exception of Sun & Moon always catches the regional bird.
  • Sobble > Drizzile > Inteleon: This line is the starter line I think would work best for Ash since he hasn't had a water type since XYZ, and I believe there's much potential for an arc with Sobble going from being timid to a cool and confident secret agent lizard.
  • Rolycoly > Carkol > Coalossal: I'll admit I choose this line mostly because it kind of reminds me of Boldore (except this one may have a chance to fully evolve) and also Ash could still use a Fire type.
  • Dreepy > Drakloak > Dragapult: I would really really love for Ash to have another pseudo-legendary since he didn't get a Kommo-o last series, and also Ash getting a half Ghost Pokemon wouldn't hurt I'd say.

Honorable Mentions
  • Chewtle > Drednaw
  • Toxel > Toxtricity (Amped Form)
  • Galarian Farfetch'd > Sirfetch'd
  • Falinks
  • Dracozolt or Arctozolt

Jessie
  • Wobbuffet
  • Hatenna > Hattrem > Hatterene: Jessie typically gets Pokemon that I can best decribe as both Creepy Awesome and Creepy Cute at least in my opinion, so getting a feminine Pokemon that's seemingly based off a witch seems fitting for her, also Hatterene is capable of tearing its opponents apart which reminds me Jessie when you piss her off, just ask her Seviper. :p
  • Sizzlipede > Centiskorch: As for the Sizzlipede line I saw a post from a friend here on the forums that got me thinking it would be a good Pokemon for her too. As a bonus maybe it can be female like her last two Bug types being Dustox and Yanmega.

Honorable Mentions
  • Nickit > Thievul
  • Impidimp

James
  • Cramorant: PLEASE HAPPEN!!! No seriously please! If nothing else on this post becomes a reality, please let this one happen at least! It was made for James, it was made to continue the Victreebel gag.
  • Sinistea > Polteageist: James has a history of getting some small and cute looking Pokemon since Chimecho, so I say give the former rich kid his tea (pokemon). Aside from Cramorant I'd say it be a match made in heaven.

Honorable Mentions
  • Applin
  • Clobbopus > Grapploct: Okay, really I just choose this as an alterative to Cramorant since it looks like it could hug James very tightly with its tentacles like Cacnea or Mareanie. :p

Last edited:
For me I rather see Ash using a mixed team.
However, there are some Pokémon I hope he gets
Dreepy is one, for sure, love the guy and how it would mix with everything
Typhlosion, ending the cyndaquil park and giving Ash a power house
I also see him getting one of the fossils, but they are so weird and Frankenstein-ish that... I don't know...
Garchomp, either rescuing the one he used in Alola or ending the Gible ark, this is a must!
Cramorant, just because yes, that gag would work with Jesse, but, we also have a Heracross and Bulbasaur relation that we all love.
Greninja, I think this anime will recollect all of his mon's under the same roof, and his strongest can definitely not be left behind

Oh my goodness, this post took longer than it should have.

For this next post I decided to list a bunch of Pokemon I wish Ash, Misty, and Brock had caught and evolved; some these are just expanded version of this post I made a while back. A few things I want to point out is since Brock's goal was never battle related, I decided not to list any Pokemon I wish he owned to evolve since I was personally content regardless of what he has evolving or not. Second is since Ash caught a lot of Pokemon in Unova anyway, I decided not to list any Gen 5 Pokemon that I wish he caught. Third, unlike my first post, this one won't be as description heavy, truth be told some of these listed are just based of me liking the Pokemon a lot or I genuinely feeling they would suit the character. Fourth, I'm half-asleep while typing this final post here, so if I missed any spelling errors or there are any other mistakes, I apologize, I'll probably catch them and fix them later. Last thing, since Tracey wasn't on the show long, I didn't really think I needed to list many Pokemon for him, but because I would feel bad not saying anything more about him I'll say it again: Smeargle is a Pokemon that would have suited him perfectly, as it's an artist like Tracey. Okay, well here it is.

Ash (Original Series - Sun & Moon)
Uncaught Pokemon
  • Pinsir
  • Haunter → Gengar
  • Houndour (EP150)
  • Spoink → Grumpig: Not my idea, but I saw this post from @Lightning Flame Blast and thought the idea of catching Spoink during his Hoenn journey would be nice.
  • Hippopotas
  • Riolu (DP071, DP072)
  • Skiddo → Gogoat or Phantump → Trevenant
  • Wimpod (SM020) → Golisopod
  • Shiinotic (SM029) or Cutiefly → Ribombee
  • Passimian (SM064): I know the episode Passimian debuted in was dub-banned for "reasons", but just pretend for this one that if Ash had caught it, that the episode was never banned.
  • Jangmo-o → Hakamo-o → Kommo-o

Unobtained Evolutions
  • Bulbasaur → Ivysaur?????: Okay, this one I'm still debating to myself about; if SS003 had been a focus episode about Ash's Bulbasaur, I feel like maybe it would have been ready to evolve at last, but at the same time I like Ash's Bulbasaur no matter what, so I got conflicted hence the quintuple question marks... Anyway I really am wishing right about now that the aforementioned episode could have been a more direct sequel to Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden.
  • Chikorita → Bayleef → Meganium
  • Cyndaquil → Quilava → Typhlosion
  • Corphish → Crawdaunt
  • Buizel → Floatzel
  • Scraggy → Scrafty

Misty
Uncaught Pokemon
  • Tentacruel
  • Eevee → Vaporeon
  • Chinchou
  • Dewpider: This is one I wanted to talk just a little bit about. Now while I still wish Lana got a Dewpider of her own, I thought it would have been neat if Misty got one herself in SM102 since her character is well known to have a fear of Bug Pokemon and Dewpider just so happens to have the duel type of that and Water; I think it would be neat if she somehow got over her fear by encounter a Dewpider on the Treasure Island and decided to catch it and take it home with her, and also that way both her and Brock would have one Alola Pokemon to leave with, as we of course find out in the following episode, Nurse Joy gave Brock a Comfey.

Unobtained Evolutions
  • Horsea → Seadra
  • Psyduck → Golduck: Considering it's my favorite Pokemon of all time, this should come as a surprise to know one. :p

Brock
Uncaught Pokemon
  • Kabuto → Kabutops
  • Stantler (EP125)
  • Shuckle (EP170): Man, this episode was weird, but it was funny. I know Brock decided at the end of the episode not to take the Pokemon taming medicine, but for heck of it I'd like it if caught a Shuckle 'cause :wynaut:.

Last edited:
As of now the title's changed as I'll just be discussing the characters teams in general. So while I was initially concerned with the current Pocket Monster (2019) series, it seems to have really stepped up with SS010 as Ash caught his first Pokemon of this series being a Dragonite which he helped to master Dragon Dance as a Dragonair and it in returned evolved in Dragonite to recuse him during a Rocket Gang theft attempt, and while my first post does show that I really want Ash to catch some Galar Pokemon since of course they're the lastet monsters to be added to the franchise, I am actually okay with this capture as it showed one of the reasons why I like Ash as a character, his compassion to help a Pokemon that he just met. Also this Dragonite I must say is super cute, it's shown to have a warm personality, and I hope to see it battle and show off more moves soon. Also good on Ash for getting another pseudo-legendary since Goodra. With the multi-regions approach the show's going for I'm currently thinking Ash may catch at least one new Pokemon per region, but we'll have to wait and see. As for Gou, I really hope they start writing him to actually battle for captures if not go for the same approach that Ash does with some of his captures by bonding with the Pokemon first.

While the TRio has been using the so far negatively received Gachat Machine to use random Pokemon instead of their own I was happy with them attempting to catch a Drednaw near the end of SS012 using a surprisingly charming Bellsprout from the otherwise hated machine and while the they failed due to a Gigantamax mishap, it was nice to see them try. As of today's episode, while nothing can be full on confirmed until their next appearance, it seems like the gang's got themselves not a Drednaw, but its pre-evolution Chewtle, which if that's the case, first off YES!! finally they got a new Pokemon and hopefully that machine will be canned forever, never to return and second: why didn't I think of that? The Chewtle line actually is kind of fitting for both Jessie or James since they're snapping turtles that love to bite, and as we all know, James has a history of his Pokemon loving him so affectionately to the point that they literally hurt him, meanwhile while less common Jessie has had her hair bitten by Pokemon before including a certain aforementioned Seviper that she would go on the Catch in early Hoenn.

Well here's hoping x1,000 that Ash, Jessie, and James get more Pokemon, but for now I'm more satisfied than before.

EDIT: Spoiler Tags gone.

Last edited:
Oh man, why am I such a lazy ass; okay back to this blog with an update that's way overdue.

Okay first off I decided to take off the spoiler tags and just put a possible spoilers warning in the blog title.

I think from this point going forward I'll be referring to this current series by its dub name Pokemon Journeys because honestly I'm just so tired of calling it Pocket Monsters 2019...

So starting with Ash's most recently acquired Pokemon we have A GENGAR!!! Yes, Ash got a Ghost Pokemon at long last! And sure, it's not the Haunter from back in the original series, but I can't really complain since I'm just happy that he got one at all. Never in a 20-ish years did I think Ash would ever get a Dragonite or a Genger, but he's got both now. This is of course the same Gengar that's been haunting Sakuragi Institute back in episode 11, and in this capture episode we discover that Gengar basically got "the Fire Type starter treatment" that Ash's Charmander, Chimchar, and Tepig got, by that I mean this Gengar got abandoned by its former trainer because he thought his Genger was the source of some bad luck he'd been experiencing, I'm going to guess that the jerks real problem was that he was losing battles and not catching pokemon was simply because he's just a bad trainer. :p Not gonna lie, I was low key hoping Genger would destroy his former trainer. Joking aside, I was happy with the results of Gengar's capture episode, it was shown to have a caring side based on how it gave apples to Ash after he passed out from a fever. I'd also like to point out that I quite liked its performance in Ash's fist PWC battle in episode 18, though I felt sorry for Visquez's Raichu, imagine being twisted like clay from Psychic like that. Ash is definitely getting some strong Pokemon so far. Next up, after years of fans apparently wanting this years before I obviously joined the forums back when it was still Gen 4, Ash got a Riolu that hatched from an egg, and it seems the writers actually remembered the aura thing going on with Ash; Whether or not this means that Riolu is on the path to basically be the next Ash-Greninja is currently unknown. Anyway, I quite like Riolu, it's different from I expected being comparable to Ash's Scraggy in that the moment it hatch the first thing it does is go on picking fights and attacking pretty much everything it sees. I do find it interesting that Ash's aura only seems to activate when during battles, perhaps like some kind of adrenaline rush thing.

Next up for Gou, since Scorbunny or should I say Raboot is pretty much at the forefront the most compared to Gou's other Pokemon it will be the only one I'll be talking about here. So yeah, it actually evolved which that in of itself isn't surprising so much is how fast the evolution came. Alright so I don't have much of anything negative to say aside from this was too early, but I guess it's fine. I was hoping for some character development from Gou in episode 22 seeing as how episode 17 where Scorbunny evolved ended with him giving Gou the cold shoulder, but it looks like we all didn't quite get what we were looking for, Raboot's attitude is apparently just typical Raboot teenage behavior. Though for the sake of trying to be optimistic we could still get an episode later on explaining more about Gou and his "You're one of those" line he said to Ash back in episode 3, I'm still dying to know what's up with that, but yeah, I guess that covers the only one of Gou's Pokemon that I wanted to talk about. Sorry, I just don't have much to say about any of his other monsters aside from Cubone last time, all the fast random captures he makes just aren't enough to make me feel a connection to the Pokemon he captures. Oh, before I forget to mention thank goodness Raboot has a fire type move now, Ember being portrayed as a mini Pyro Ball was actually a neat idea.

And lastly the Rocket Gang, not that there's still much to talk about because of that blasted Gachat Machine, but I guess I can talk a little about good ol' little Chewtle actually being a mon they got out of the machine in episode 17, and I have to say that while initially I was kinda meh towards the species in general, this Chewtle made me love the species as a whole more, and again while Jessie mostly commanded it during the episode I still wouldn't mind who ever ends up catching it, if it gets caught, though imagine Jessie and James sharing it; Shout out to the RocketShippers. ;) Oh yeah, also this Chewtle was strong, like surprisingly really strong as in its Water Gun looked more like a Hydro Pump! If this Chewtle becomes a permanent member of there family then that will be pretty awesome. Imagine if this Chewtle was so strong we'd actually have a repeat of SM012 with them coming close to actually winning against Ash.

Well, that covers what I wanted to talk about for now.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom