• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Anime Continuity Discussion Thread

Do you really believe this? Why wouldn't they admit to putting the original Ash's story on hold? Why make us think that it doesn't even matter he's gone?

They wouldn't say it up front because they'd want the viewers to piece it together themselves~ If this was true and they were doing that, why just straight up say "This Ash isn't the original Ash because he's been living in an alternate universe the whole time separated from this new Ash via the Altar of Sunne/Moone. As such, you will not be seeing the original Ash's adventures for the current season." Like, wouldn't that be considered a major spoiler?

Again, I'm not saying this is fact, but if it were the case, saying it upfront would pretty much spoil the entire concept.

I am dropping this tangent because proving a negative isn't exactly easy. People are entitled to some measure of hope.

I'll just say that you have to remember that the show is written for kids. Do you really think that Ash's story has become so convoluted, all for the sake of a concept most players don't care about?

Last edited:
Does Pikachu still use Iron Tail in SM? I haven't watched any of it yet outside the first two (and not sure I want to with all the stuff I have read about it), but using that move would at least provide some sort of continuity in my mind because he had to work so hard to learn it and as of now Pikachu cannot learn iron tail in Gen VII unless they are brought from a previous gen (or I guess if its the special hat Pikachu, but again that one kind of screams continuity since it has the actual hats from the past series).

Anyway, I think people were pretty upset at beginning of BW too and it seemed like the continuity had been sort of lost. Then at the end of BW they made a big fuss about showing past stuff in Ash's life. Obviously the main continuity was much more celebrated from OS-DP (one of the things that made me love the show so much), and I think as good as XY was, it wasn't really a celebration of the past or a pillar of continuity either, so this isn't really a new issue, just maybe a bit more pronounced.

Personally, I think it would be less insulting to fans if they just created a new character rather than a second Ash. But I think there is still a ways to go before we can decide if there really is a second Ash, as they can always change their mind and do a Decolore Islands-esque celebration of the past. We know in the past that significant plot changes have occurred mid-series (GS ball anyone?).

Also I am way less worried about the movie, since the moves all seem to play by separate rules. And so I can't really comment on SM series, since it honestly looks really boring, so I really won't decide to watch it until someone convinces me it isn't going to be a waste of time (or make me sad because of the topic of this thread).

I don't understand why there are so many people concerned about continuity. We know that the Ash in the XY series is the same one who journeyed across Kanto, the Orange Islands, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova, and what references did we get? Ash never mentioned any of his past friends. The closest to mentioning a former traveling companion was when he said that he and Pikachu used to know a Piplup that isn't very friendly. One small reference in a series with over 100 episodes.

Serena announced she would travel to Hoenn to compete in Pokémon Contests and I don't recall Ash saying anything about it. He could have easily said "wow Hoenn, nice choice, that's a beautiful region, and Pokémon Contests are too much fun" or something along these lines, but nope. If the Sun & Moon series is indeed a reboot of the anime, there is literally no reason to panic. There's nothing to be sad about. We aren't missing anything. We would get zero references to the past anyway.

And honestly, you guys are jumping the gun. There were a lot of people who said the Best Wishes series was a reboot of the anime because Brock was gone, Team Rocket were acting as brand new characters, Ash was behaving like a new Trainer... And we all know how BW ended up having more nods to the past than XY. There's still plenty of time for Ash to make some references to his past journeys. It's not because the writers don't love Misty and Brock as much as you do and preferred to introduce new characters for the next movie instead of reusing them that SM is a reboot of the anime. Chill.

I don't understand why there are so many people concerned about continuity. We know that the Ash in the XY series is the same one who journeyed across Kanto, the Orange Islands, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova, and what references did we get?
References aren't everything, you know. The thought of the original Ash not having concluded his story, and vanishing with so little fanfare, is the problem here.

And honestly, you guys are jumping the gun.
Yeah, no. When a prominent staff member says that the SM series is not a continuation of XYZ, and there just happens to be a movie that is all about a reboot, we are not jumping the gun.

I personally think that this dosen't matter, since we'll not be seeing the original Ash's story end.
It is just an explanation for SM haters to keep their 'XY Ash' untarnished, and see him fulfil their expectations. They just want to accept that whatever they see is in accordance to what they want. They like XY, so they will never dream of removing it from canon, but they hate SM, so they decided to try to remove it from canon.

I cannot wait to see people backtracking themselves when Ash becomes his usual self once more and goes to Top 2 in the Alola league or something, saying that it was their 'XY hero Ash' all along.

I hate XY and actually appreciate SM's lighthearted tone to an extent. That has nothing to do with accepting the facts for what they are. Don't generalize.

BW was an ambiguous reboot, as they wanted to leave their options open. The present case is more extreme.

Hey @Silktree just chill with the calling out of staff members and those backhanded comments to users and staff members too. Just chillax.

Same goes for everyone else.

Hey @Silktree just chill with the calling out of staff members and those backhanded comments to users and staff members too. Just chillax.

Same goes for everyone else.
I hope I'm not being out of line for replying to this, but he meant a staff member of the anime, not a staff member of BMGf.

(I know where the warning is coming from, but the only reference to a "staff member" in this particular thread was the sound director).

I hope I'm not being out of line for replying to this, but he meant a staff member of the anime, not a staff member of BMGf.

(I know where the warning is coming from, but the only reference to a "staff member" in this particular thread was the sound director).

Does it really make a difference if you know and everyone knows where this is coming from?

Does it really make a difference if you know and everyone knows where this is coming from?
I just thought it'd make more sense to address it in the actual threads where he's doing it (I think Hidden Mew has already addressed it in the movie thread anyway), instead of this thread where it has remained relatively civil as any other BMGf thread and on-topic. Just my two cents, not trying to be defiant or anything.

Again does it really make a difference?

Just keep it civil if it is civil. Of it not civil then keep it civil. It is not hard.

I personally think that this dosen't matter, since we'll not be seeing the original Ash's story end.
It is just an explanation for SM haters to keep their 'XY Ash' untarnished, and see him fulfil their expectations. They just want to accept that whatever they see is in accordance to what they want. They like XY, so they will never dream of removing it from canon, but they hate SM, so they decided to try to remove it from canon.

I cannot wait to see people backtracking themselves when Ash becomes his usual self once more and goes to Top 2 in the Alola league or something, saying that it was their 'XY hero Ash' all along.

Remember what happened after Ash finished Top 4 in Sinnoh and best two Legendaries? TPC made him lose to a complete idiot and end up Top 8 in BW.

We don't even know if there will be a League in Alola. But if there's one, they may make him end up Top 16 this time. A reset makes that easier.

I've said this before in the M20 thread, but since we now have a thread dedicated to this issue, I am going to repeat what I have said before: I think this is still the same continuity and I think that so far we've had enough references to the past that make me confident that this is still the same continuity. Just look at Team Rocket:
- They mention that they left their Pokémon at the HQ (though we aren't told which Pokémon they left there we assume they were Inkay and Gourgeist) - a possible reference to XY (and to BW to an extent, because that's when they started to leave their Pokémon at the HQ)
- Wobbuffet is with them - a reference to Johto and a reference to the end of BW, when Wobbuffet returned
- They referenced to their old Ekans and Koffing with their lures - a reference to Kanto
- Matori has appeared twice - a reference to DP, BW and XY
- They dropped those Solrock and Lunatone souvenirs, hinting at their next destination - a reference to SM
- Giovanni and Matori seem to have the same uniforms that were introduced in XY
And there are other minor hints, such as the fact that we've seen the "new" Team Rocket's R logo at the HQ, which was only introduced in BW.

Well, I admit that maybe these aren't the strongest hints/references, but they are hints nonetheless.
So I will still admit that this is the same continuity until I have enough hints against that fact. So far we've only had a tweet and a movie that hasn't even aired yet, and in my opinion I don't think that solid evidence.

Last edited:
I've said this before in the M20 thread, but since we now have a thread dedicated to this issue, I am going to repeat what I have said before: I think this is still the same continuity and I think that so far we've had enough references to the past that make me confident that this is still the same continuity. Just look at Team Rocket:
- They mention that they left their Pokémon at the HQ (though we aren't told which Pokémon they left there we assume they were Inkay and Gourgeist) - a possible reference to XY (and to BW to an extent, because that's when they started to leave their Pokémon at the HQ)
- Wobbuffet is with them - a reference to Johto and a reference to the end of BW, when Wobbuffet returned
- They referenced to their old Ekans and Koffing with their lures - a reference to Kanto
- Matori has appeared twice - a reference to DP, BW and XY
- They dropped those Solrock and Lunatone souvenirs, hinting at their next destination - a reference to SM
- Giovanni and Matori seem to have the same uniforms that we're introduced in XY
And there are other minor hints, such as the fact that we've seen the "new" Team Rocket's R logo at the HQ, which was only introduced in BW.

Well, I admit that maybe these aren't the strongest hints/references, but they are hints nonetheless.
So I will still admit that this is the same continuity until I have enough hints against that fact. So far we've only had a tweet and a movie that hasn't even aired yet, and in my opinion I don't think that solid evidence.

But the tweet is from the sound director, they have more insider info than we do.

But the tweet is from the sound director, they have more insider info than we do.
But it's Mima and he's the maverick responsible for just inventing the Rocket radio show more-or-less when he felt like it, so I feel like we're allowed to take what he says with a pinch of salt :p

I'd bet good money that Team Rocket have Ekans, Koffing and Wobbuffet in the movie, so...

And I don't see why Mima taking creative liberties with the radio show makes him a maverick that would lie about a reboot. He also "leaked" pictures that hinted at new captures during XY (as well as Serena's makeover); he is just more open with the fans than anyone else from the staff is.

I'd bet good money that Team Rocket have Ekans, Koffing and Wobbuffet in the movie, so...

And I don't see why Mima taking creative liberties with the radio show makes him a maverick that would lie about a reboot. He also "leaked" pictures that hinted at new captures during XY (as well as Serena's makeover); he is just more open with the fans than anyone else from the staff is.

They may replace Weezing and Arbok too and give them some boring Pokémon.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom