• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Anime Fan's Guide to Non-Fillers

I have already put the episodes in order in each category. I may number them another time plus there is a lot more stuff I need to add. The character development list is far from complete and I haven't added any Team Rocket/Galactic, etc episodes and many others.

Two of the three eps you mentioned are not filler at all.

Neither of those three episodes can be skipped without causing a major disconnect within the plot.

Either way, while this thread is certainly a commendable effort, the entire idea behind it isn't really all that. The entire "filler is bad" thing is ridiculously overblown in the fandom as it is, and most of the people complaining about filler can't seem to agree on what constitutes a "filler" anyway. Then there's the entire idiocy behind picking and choosing what episodes to watch and which to not watch depending on what happens in the episode rather than whether it's fun to watch or not. This thread is mostly just promoting the idea that this is a good way of watching a series, which isn't all that positive.

Last edited:
Either way, while this thread is certainly a commendable effort, the entire idea behind it isn't really all that. The entire "filler is bad" thing is ridiculously overblown in the fandom as it is, and most of the people complaining about filler can't seem to agree on what constitutes a "filler" anyway.

Can you blame them? The filler=bad mentality was because of Johto back in 2001. Because so many Johto fillers were a total bore, it turned people against them. Even though the filler quality improved in the following arcs, Johto gave the episodes a negative stigma that would carry on throughout the series. Just goes to proves that the entire fandom view of the anime can all be stemmed back to over 10 years ago.

Then there's the entire idiocy behind picking and choosing what episodes to watch and which to not watch depending on what happens in the episode rather than whether it's fun to watch or not. This thread is mostly just promoting the idea that this is a good way of watching a series, which isn't all that positive.

That is true. But at the same time if anyone just wants to quickly watch the most important eps of each saga, this is a quick and easy way to do it.

Can you blame them? The filler=bad mentality was because of Johto back in 2001. Because so many Johto fillers were a total bore, it turned people against them. Even though the filler quality improved in the following arcs, Johto gave the episodes a negative stigma that would carry on throughout the series. Just goes to proves that the entire fandom view of the anime can all be stemmed back to over 10 years ago.

It's the Johto bashing what really annoys me the most. I, personally, couldn't care less if an episode is "filler" or not.

Neither of those three episodes can be skipped without causing a major disconnect within the plot.

Either way, while this thread is certainly a commendable effort, the entire idea behind it isn't really all that. The entire "filler is bad" thing is ridiculously overblown in the fandom as it is, and most of the people complaining about filler can't seem to agree on what constitutes a "filler" anyway. Then there's the entire idiocy behind picking and choosing what episodes to watch and which to not watch depending on what happens in the episode rather than whether it's fun to watch or not. This thread is mostly just promoting the idea that this is a good way of watching a series, which isn't all that positive.

One of those episodes mentioned is Tentacool and Tentacruel, which can't be skipped because of Mistu catching Horsea. Are you calling me an idiot for making this thread? I find your "idiocy" comment quite insulting if that is what you are insinuating. And I don't really care if you don't find it positive.

This thread isn't about whether the idea of a list is bad or not, or whether filler episodes themselves are automatically bad.

Please only post if you are offering help in making the list, and not on the idea of fillers themselves.

One of those episodes mentioned is Tentacool and Tentacruel, which can't be skipped because of Mistu catching Horsea.

And the other two are part of a set of episodes with a continuous story line that will cause some very clear "wait, there's something missing here" reactions if skipped.

Are you calling me an idiot for making this thread? I find your "idiocy" comment quite insulting if that is what you are insinuating.

Nnno, I said the thread was a commendable effort, and called the idea of choosing the episodes to watch based on their "importance to the overall plot" rather than whether or not they are fun or not idiotic ("boring episode with an evolution at the last minute of the episode = worth watching. Extremely entertaining, stand-alone episode = not worth watching. Go figure).
Try reading posts more closely instead of overreacting.

And I don't really care if you don't find it positive.

k (though you apparantly cared enough to take the time to inform the world about that)

And the other two are part of a set of episodes with a continuous story line that will cause some very clear "wait, there's something missing here" reactions if skipped.

That's true. In fact, if you watch closely enough, you can find little bits of character/plot development in almost every episode. The only ones what are truly filler are those where Ash and co get seperated and a few others.

Nnno, I said the thread was a commendable effort, and called the idea of choosing the episodes to watch based on their "importance to the overall plot" rather than whether or not they are fun or not idiotic ("boring episode with an evolution at the last minute of the episode = worth watching. Extremely entertaining, stand-alone episode = not worth watching. Go figure).
Try reading posts more closely instead of overreacting.

Okay, that's cool. Sorry if I over-reacted, I must have misread your post.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom