• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon anime going strong in India: Up to 57.1 million viewers for Hungama TV airing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Pokémon anime going strong in India: Up to 57.1 million viewers for Hungama TV airings

Dream Theatre, the licensing agency for the series in India, has announced that the Hungama TV airings of Pokémon anime have been doing very well in India.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Pokémon anime going strong in India: Up to 57.1 million viewers for Hungama TV ai

Well, that's quite nice to hear.

Since there's been a of of hubbub over the ratings in Japan dropping, I'm curious as to how this compared to Japan's viewership. (I have no idea how to convert from ratings to actual peoples.) It would be funny if India's airing of the show got more viewers than Japan's. :p

Re: Pokémon anime going strong in India: Up to 57.1 million viewers for Hungama TV ai

Since there's been a of of hubbub over the ratings in Japan dropping, I'm curious as to how this compared to Japan's viewership. (I have no idea how to convert from ratings to actual peoples.) It would be funny if India's airing of the show got more viewers than Japan's. :p
There are a lot of factors to be considered, when it comes to ratings.
As for the current series... When the drop occurs, it's not just XY but other shows drop as well. XY is doing just fine.

India's total population is more than one billion, while Japan's population is in 100 millions. So, it's not really fair to compare those in terms of numbers of viewers.

As for Hungama, it's good to know that the anime is doing fine. CNI treated it like shit, same goes for Pogo.

This is amazing to hear! As an Indian, I really appreciate the fact that the Indian Pokemon Anime has reached so many views.

I guess this also explains Black and White's return on CN India.

They dropped the show from their line-up in 2011 and didn't touch it for 3 years. As soon as Hungama started airing it (1 p.m.), it didn't take them too long to announce that the anime will be returning in July at 12:30 p.m. But I guess it was too little, too late for them.
And after all this, they still didn't go for Rival Destinies, but aired what Pogo had already aired at least twice or thrice before.

On the other hand, Hungama got their hands on Indigo League and dubbed the show from scratch.
If I remember correctly, the last time season 1 aired in India was back in 2007 as a part of "Dastaan-e-Pokémon" block.

So, they have two different dubs for Pokémon now. The CN India and Pogo dub is still ongoing? Or it just dropped already with only reruns airing? I'm curious about this because over here, CN Latin America is also treating the Pokémon anime like shit right now.

So, they have two different dubs for Pokémon now.
Yes.

The CN India and Pogo dub is still ongoing? Or it just dropped already with only reruns airing?
They haven't aired any new episodes in a long time. Currently, CN India is airing the season 14 reruns, since their license hasn't expired yet which is also the reason why Hungama can't buy it just yet. Though, they've a long way to go.
Pogo and CNI are basically Turner properties. So, they have used the same dub in the past. No idea if CN India will be airing Rival Destinies in near future.

I'm curious about this because over here, CN Latin America is also treating the Pokémon anime like shit right now.
I see... That's not good.
CNI and Pogo, both of the channels tend to promote the local shows way too much (that is when they're done promoting Ben 10)...
Constant reruns and shitty low budget shows are also a problem.

The reason why Hungama decided to use their own dub is because Disney India implemented a certain policy a few years ago. According to which, the dubs for all of the properties acquired by Disney India are supposed to be carried out in-house. Hence, the new dub.
They even dubbed (although very badly) the first One Piece movie and aired it last year (I think). I haven't seen any of the One Piece content on any of the other local channels in 8 years.

Now, I hope that they don't take any unnecessary breaks. Hungama still has a very long way to go. Not to mention, the Indian market can really use some official Pokemon stuff.

Last edited:
Re: Pokémon anime going strong in India

Most of the Hungama TV dub is better than Cartoon Network's but some of it is absolute madness.
Take Team Rocket's Motto, for example.
Or Ash telling his Pokemonto attack.
Complete ~~~~.

Neat! :)

Firstly, Best wishes is the reason why the anime lost so much popularity, Anyways.

XY Has been averaging between 5.0-6.0 and is constantly in the top 10, which is still pretty impressive and i think it's probably on par with diamond and pearl and best wishes at this stage, despite not reaching the 9.0's like best wishes and diamond and pearl did earlier on.

Firstly, Best wishes is the reason why the anime lost so much popularity, Anyways.

XY Has been averaging between 5.0-6.0 and is constantly in the top 10, which is still pretty impressive and i think it's probably on par with diamond and pearl and best wishes at this stage, despite not reaching the 9.0's like best wishes and diamond and pearl did earlier on.

... What. No. BW has never specifically been linked to the show's ratings dropping, ever. They've always been dropping over the course of the show, and during BW they didn't fall much faster than any other saga. DP's ratings were less than AG's, AG's less than Johto's, etc.

It's interesting that they've actually gone back up with XY, but that has nothing to do with BW.

Okay guys... Let's not get into the series debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom