• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Ash should have had on his team

owenpeterson

Reaction score
Yet again, I take a jab at the Powers That Be of the Pokemon Anime, and their decisions to prevent Ash Ketchum from reaching his full potential of awesomeness, thus, making me question their psychological state.

Another one to add to their LONG list of crimes against Ash is how they choose to have Ash have a relatively small amount of Pokemon caught by him.

The tagline of Pokemon is "Gotta Catch 'em All" yet somehow they choose to prevent him from having a considerably decent amount of Pokemon on his team.

So, I was wondering which Pokemon do you think that you would have liked Ash to have had on his team, Here are my picks,

-Lara Laramie's Rapidash.
-Jigglypuff has followed Ash and his friends so why not have it join his team.
-Haunter helped him in regards to Sabrina, so why not have Haunter be a part of his team on a regular basis.
-Dratini
-Porygon
-Machop
-Abra
-Houndour
-Exeggutor, he caught several for Melvin, why not let Ash keep one.
-Eevee
-etc.

Which Pokemon would you have liked Ash to have had on his team?

I personally would have liked it better if he caught and evolved a Venipede in BW. Screw Sewaddle Ash hasn't had another poison type since gen 1. In addition he should have evolved Oshawott at least once. The whole line is about taking levels in badass by going from a wannabe samurai to a true warrior. But no they had to keep Oshawott the was he is because Piplup was popular or some other BS and someone needed to suck to keep us from realizing how bland Ash's BW pokemon generally were.

Espeon is another I expected him to get at some point. Red has one in the Johto games and since his team is (somewhat) based on Ash's pokemon they could have reversed it and got a cue from Red's team for a new capture. It also fits since Ash likes fast pokemon like Espeon, he also never had a psychic type and it's believable he'd be able to evolve it since Ash breathes friendship.

Yet again, I take a jab at the Powers That Be of the Pokemon Anime, and their decisions to prevent Ash Ketchum from reaching his full potential of awesomeness, thus, making me question their psychological state.

Another one to add to their LONG list of crimes against Ash is how they choose to have Ash have a relatively small amount of Pokemon caught by him.

The tagline of Pokemon is "Gotta Catch 'em All" yet somehow they choose to prevent him from having a considerably decent amount of Pokemon on his team.

They have a small number of Pokemon for Ash to catch so that they can focus on developing those Pokemon, giving them more screentime and possibly evolving them. The Gotta Catch 'em All tagline hasn't been used to promote Pokemon in years, although it's still associated with the franchise in spite of that, so it doesn't seem fair to use that against Ash, especially when that was a tagline created in the west and I don't think it was used in Japan. Besides that, giving Ash too many Pokemon could just result in most of them having little to no personalities, fewer screentime and potentially less believable victories. Rotating Pokemon for Ash's team sounds like a good idea in theory, but they haven't been able to provide a good balance for a full team at this point, so adding more Pokemon into the mix wouldn't really help.

Even so, there are a few Pokemon that I wish Ash would have caught. I would have loved for Ash to catch a Riolu during DP. I'm extremely bias here when Lucario is my favorite Pokemon and I would have loved to see Ash raise a Riolu to a Lucario. Getting a Riolu egg from Riley would have been nice, but since Ash had a full team by that point and they weren't ready to let Gilscor go for awhile, I can see why that didn't happen. It would have been great if they did or it got it earlier in the series. I also like the idea of Ash getting a Braviary instead of Unfezant. He still would have had a Flying type team member, but it would be something different than the usual early route bird Pokemon. Not to mention Braviary has a much better design and a good movepool that could have made it more memorable than Unfezant turned out.

Any electric type Pokemon or a Pokemon that knows an electric move might be there too. I was hoping that Ash would've caught Shinx. Even that they are both electric types, their movesets are different.

I can think of a few Pokémon Ash should have caught:

- The Fearow that he tried to catch in EP001 and Pidgeot's evolution episode
- The Spoink in mid AG
- The Aura Sphere Riolu (DP071 and DP072)
- The male Hippopotas from early DP
- Meloetta

- The Aura Sphere Riolu (DP071 and DP072)

I don't think that Ash could have caught that particular Riolu since it already had a trainer and a home that it needed to go back to. It still would have been awesome if he did capture a Riolu though.

It would've made it easier to follow up on Ash's Aura powers. (Talk about not reaching his "full potential of awesomeness.")

Or how about that Scyther from the Bug-Catching Competition? He's had plenty of experience seeing how powerful they are (courtesy of Tracey).

I want him to get an Aegislash.

He should've fully evolved all Pokemon he has.

Should've kept that Haunter (canon he caught it and gave it away)

Should've kept Larvetar

Should've kept that Haunter (canon he caught it and gave it away)

We never saw Haunter being in a Pokeball, so I don't think that Ash ever officially caught it. It just followed him to have more fun.

Muur said:
Should've kept Larvetar

The whole point of that mini-arc was to bring Larvetar back to its mother though. While he did bond with Larvetar, I don't think it would have been fair to keep it instead of giving it back to its mother, especially when their separation was rather traumatic.

Bulbapedia says that in the original both Ash and Sabrina say he caught the Haunter

"Haunter is Ash's first unofficial Pokémon. Despite this, Sabrina and Ash both stated that Ash caught Haunter in Haunter Versus Kadabra (implying that it was official)."

and yeah but I liked the Larvitar so the Mum should've been like "keep it Ash!"

Hmm......

What about a Ralts, end evolution either Gardevoir or Gallade.

There exists many pokemon i wish Ash caught. Actually if i started to think of all great,alluring opportunities for not just Ash, but his traveling companions list would be very long. But to narrow down choices to select few in Ash case:

I always thought it would been cool if Haunter became his partner permanently never really having ghost type. Although based on Ash battle abilities and rush side back in day, its questionable if he would know howe to weilder correctly power from one of most powerful treated as almost unbeatable type. Back in early stages of anime, second was psychic being almost untouchable.

There was also Larvitar being suavely to see Ash develop entirely new side to his character. Showing mother like protective feelings and great deal of care. Earning Larvitar thrust, who jibbed away from his friends which made especially Misty irritated.

Some of more peculiar designed pokemon. Maybe Exploud or Cradily would been interesting in lest hand to say as well. Due to either delicate behavior, their movesets and abilities serving as excellent excercise for Ash to widen up his horizons and learn how to approach more demanding species as pokemon finding right battle style where he can work with them as team.

But one pokemon which especially picked my interest was fighting/steel type known as Lucario.

Mainly because of this pokemon having potential to serve as catalyst through which Ash character could grow in entirely new, creative way. Because of Ash connection to aura guardins with no pokemon being better at this than those from Riolu, Lucario lineage.

Because ever since i found out how Ash has aura abilities, it came of as rather endearing and gratifying discovery for me because of realizing how much writers could have done with him in that aspect. Once he started to discover in 8th movie but even later on through whole involvement of Riley Lucario how he has ability to control aura powers manipulating his spiritual energy and reading other pokemon minds and intentions. Bringing whole new dimension to Ash making him more interesting, mysterious to extent and unique. He was even linked to legendary aura guardian from ancient times in "Keystone Pops" episode.

If there ever happened to exist interest to exploit more on this side of Ash, in my opinion capture of Lucario would give extra mileage in adding novelty to his character, dive deeper in his thoughts and personality facing potentially dilemma,. Between responsibility to protect world as aura guardian or follow his heart achieving dreams. With Lucario helping him to find right answer and possibly learn from who Ash inherited this ability. Fleshing that aspect of Ash character through jackal pokemon and his excellent abilities in controlling aura using it in proficient way.

Pokemon was always sadly bag full of missed opportunities which had ability to be much better than it turned out to be.

i would have liked to see Ash catch many pokemon that would have developed him and his team more, it would have been cool to see him with a cubone or tangela. in johto it would have been good to see him with a teddiursa. in hoenn i liked his team but i always wanted Ash to get a nuzleaf and a trapinch. a snover would have been perfect for ashs team and if i'm not mistaken he befriended one, but didn't catch it, which was annoying. for unova a mienfoo and in kalos i hope he gets tyrunt. i think these pokemon would have improved his team and helped develop him

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned an Absol in AG yet. That thing seemed rather prominent in Advance Adventure, and by association I Wanna Be a Hero, which is what I saw when I was first watching it. The way it pretty much closed out the opening staged on that weird platform battlefield thing mad it seem pretty important. I guess it may have just been tied into its appearance in M6 or just the fact it was sort of a cool edgy looking pokemon. Its appearance there seemed framed in a very similar vein to what was done much later with Aipom in Spurt!, and we know how that ended up. I also feel like Absol probably could have been a pretty good sell and easily merchandisable.

I'm also still dumbfounded that Ash didn't end up with a Lucario pretty early on in DP. That pokemon was shoved down our throat all over the place, it was odd they decided to actually show some restraint and not give one to a main character, relegating it to a couple characters outside of the one from the movie. I would bet it had to do with the writers not really being sure of how to incorporate Ash having wave powers throughout an entire series and beyond. It works great for having Ash be the hero of a movie, and it's easy enough for Riley to show up once and be capable of wave-guiding, but for Ash to all of a sudden have special powers would be difficult to shoehorn in across a whole season.

Pokemon Ash Should Have Had Pocket Edition Lite Page 1 of 721

Kanto:
Nidoking
Fearow
Slowbro
Mr. Mime

Johto:
Shuckle
Quagsire
An Eeveelution
Sneasel

Hoenn:
Absol
Salamence
Gardevoir
Latias

Sinnoh:
Luxray
Froslass
Gastrodon
Roserade

Unova:
Throh
Darmanitan
Hydreigon
Carracosta

That's just my two cents...

I believe that with some of these Pokemon, Ash could really benefit with having them on his team.

I'd love to see Ash getting around a region on back of his Ponyta/Rapidash like knight on horseback.
Houndour/Houndoom would make an excellent guard dog for Ash. Imagine it biting Jessie, James, and Meowth on a regular basis.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom