• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lugiafanatic

Reaction score
What do you think?

Personally, this is a cheap money making grab on Nintendo/GF's part.

Re: Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Transfer!

I was waiting for the 'cheap money grab' to come out. They haven't even said the bloody price yet.

Assuming the price is reasonable, I understand the annual fee, even if I am a little bit annoyed. I get it though. Hopefully it means it's going to be around for a very long time.

Yeah, they could have at least given us a free way to transfer pokemon.

According to Kotaku, the price is around 500 Yen in Japan. Approximately 5 dollars.

Source: Pokemon X and Y Lets You Store Pokemon Online... For an Annual Fee

I don't see the problem. Yes, it's a bit bothersome I'll have to pay, but I'm seeing why as well. This app not only supports transfers to Gen VI, it looks like it's going to support a lot of future titles. Possibly even Gen VII and beyond. I think that's worth the small fee Nintendo will charge.

So? Pokemon Global link is compatible with future titles and requires server and there's no fee.

But like do i have to pay first for the Pokemon Bank and then download it or download it for free and then have to pay the annual fee?

Yeah, they could have at least given us a free way to transfer pokemon.

Well, the free trial means you could transfer all the Pokemon you wanted and then not use it again.

Nope, i hope GF will make poke transfer free while poke bank not... I dont see a reason why poketransfer shouldnt be free.
But GF should make a local poketransfer (from ds to 3ds), id feel pity for those who havent internet connection if they dont do it.

Last edited:
"Buhh, I'm over the age of 13 so I'd be embarrassed to ask my parents to pay a subscription for something pokemon related but I'm not 18 so I don't have my own credit card to bill this service to :(:(:(" - The only reason I see people being upset about a nominal fee for storage of thousands of pokemon.

If you only ever want to use it for transferring everything from one gen to another, pay for it for a year each time there's a new gen and it'll be the same as if you just bought a new $5 3DS app each time.

At least $5 won't break the bank. Pun intended.

post 1,000 :)

It's reasonable to pay for the cloud storage stuff, but not for 5th gen transfers. That's something that should be free.

But I'm glad they did this overall, it's something I think the games have really needed.

it keeps them from having to find new 'transfer' methods for every game/gen. sounds like a good thing in the long run.

Well they ~could~ have just had the transferred pokemon stored on the 3DS via an app, and then transferred them to the new games.

Doesn't seem like it's that hard to generalize to future gens....

It's reasonable to pay for the cloud storage stuff, but not for 5th gen transfers. That's something that should be free.

There is a free trial of Pokémon Bank:

Look forward to a free trial period after the launch of Pokémon Bank. Be sure to try out the software for yourself during this time to see everything that Pokémon Bank has to offer!
-Pokemonxy.com

So it will be free to transfer Pokémon from Gen V to Gen VI ... for a while.

We don't really know at this point if the app itself will cost money to download initially, or if the service fee will be the only charge involved... Fingers crossed for the latter.

So? Pokemon Global link is compatible with future titles and requires server and there's no fee.

Have you noticed how crappily the site runs though? "Game Sync" takes ages to work properly, and you can only use it for about an hour at once, and even then only once every 24 hours, not to mention lag.

Considering the amount of people who are gonna be using Pokémon Bank, it makes sense that it might require a fee... unless ya'll wanna be waiting 10 minutes just to upload 1 box of Pokémon.

Last edited:
I hope this free trial is actually free, not just a gimmick where you have to give them a credit card and have you subscribed unless you cancel, and then make impossible to cancel.

not sure why people are getting all up in arms about a 5 dollar a YEAR fee. the convenience of being able to restart any and every game you want for whatever reason without having to shuffle all your -mons to another cartiridge, or risk losing a cartridge, or.. any of the other things... its a great idea.

Pokemon Bank is set to be released in Europe on 27th December.

Hope the free trailer is really free so i can just transfer my pokemon in White to Y.

To be perfectly honest I really don't see what the big deal is. If the bank cost more than what it apparently will, I'd say maybe they should have taken a different route, but with it being only $5 I think that's pretty reasonable. For one thing it's not on a monthly basis and for another thing $5 is nothing compared to other companies that use subscriptions. Look at how much money people spend on mmo's, easily $25 a month. This is kinda how things work when you start to branch out into the real world and use online servers. I'm not in the least surprised by this.

I think $5 is more than reasonable to charge to store 3,000 Pokemon.

The only thing I wonder about is how many Pokemon from past Gens won't be in the game so you're forced to use it at some point to complete your dex :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom