• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pokemon Transporter were a standalone app, Gamefreak would most likely require an annual fee for that too. The reason why Pokemon bank has an annual fee is to keep up the maintenance. The exact same thing would be required with Pokemon transporter. Gamefreak actually did us a favour by joining them together and only paying a fee for one app. The alternative would have been to be charged an annual fee for two separate apps, and I am sure you wouldn't be too fond of that.
Actually, if PokeTransporter were a standalone app that transferred more-or-less directly to XY (without the involvement of Pokemon Bank), it would probably be a few-dollars eShop app and not require an annual fee. Remember, the subscription fee is for Pokemon Bank itself, which GF has made clear is intended as a long-term storage solution into future generations from XY. Unlike the Global Link website (the Gen V version of which GF is indeed shutting down), Pokemon Bank is something that GF has calculated cannot be funded solely by sales of Pokemon X and Y.

Then there's also the fact that it's not compatible with Gen IV, the first Pokemon games to utilize WI-FI. I know the Gen IV games didn't support WPA but they could have easily just made a patch available for those using the DSi or the 3Ds (xl).
The DSi is capable of WPA but only for the eShop and other in-system functions, it cannot use WPA to play DS games. Which does seem kind of pointless, but perhaps the actual machine code for manipulating the DS's Wi-Fi functionality was embedded in each game's ROM rather than residing somewhere in the system itself. THAT (and the lack of centralized system updates for DS systems) would explain why they couldn't just issue a patch for it.

Just because you create something does not give you the right to spit in the face of your consumers by charging extra for something you have always provided for free.

How big will the loogie be? I wanna know I'm getting my $5/year worth (I hope it's from Iwata himself).

Actually, if PokeTransporter were a standalone app that transferred more-or-less directly to XY (without the involvement of Pokemon Bank), it would probably be a few-dollars eShop app and not require an annual fee. Remember, the subscription fee is for Pokemon Bank itself, which GF has made clear is intended as a long-term storage solution into future generations from XY. Unlike the Global Link website (the Gen V version of which GF is indeed shutting down), Pokemon Bank is something that GF has calculated cannot be funded solely by sales of Pokemon X and Y.

Then there's also the fact that it's not compatible with Gen IV, the first Pokemon games to utilize WI-FI. I know the Gen IV games didn't support WPA but they could have easily just made a patch available for those using the DSi or the 3Ds (xl).
The DSi is capable of WPA but only for the eShop and other in-system functions, it cannot use WPA to play DS games. Which does seem kind of pointless, but perhaps the actual machine code for manipulating the DS's Wi-Fi functionality was embedded in each game's ROM rather than residing somewhere in the system itself. THAT (and the lack of centralized system updates for DS systems) would explain why they couldn't just issue a patch for it.

The reason Pokemon bank has an annual fee is because it is an app intended to be long term. Their idea is to keep it going as long as possible, which would require funding to keep the app updated. If Pokemon transporter was a separate app, I am sure Gamefreak would be intending that to be available for as long as possible as well, in which case that app would also need an annual fee in order to keep it updated. I believe that's the reason why you need Pokemon bank in order to have Pokemon transporter, so that they aren't charging us for both apps, and instead allowing us to have both features and charging us for the one.

I wanna know I'm getting my $5/year worth (I hope it's from Iwata himself).
A Pokemon Bank account can store up to 3,000 Pokemon (about four living Pokedexes) and it can be linked to multiple games.

For $5 a year, It's very reasonable. I can't wait to be able to transfer my old Pokemon to X, I wanna test lots of strategies and teams. Does anyone know if Pokemon like Azumarill will be able to be transferred over, since their new type and yeah?

For $5 a year, It's very reasonable. I can't wait to be able to transfer my old Pokemon to X, I wanna test lots of strategies and teams. Does anyone know if Pokemon like Azumarill will be able to be transferred over, since their new type and yeah?

There is absolutely no restriction on what can't be transferred over (outside of illegal Pokemon, which may be blocked by Bank), regardless of if base stats or typing have changed.

As for the console still not being hacked, I don't want to promote it or anything, but there's evidence that those days are coming to an end, both in terms of piracy and in terms of hacking Pokemon with anecdotal reports of unavailable Pokemon in XY showing up on Random Match.
[matrix]It is inevitable, Mr. Anderson....[/matrix]

But seriously, folks, I wager that it's easier to crack the 3DS's communication channels and set up hacked battles than it is to hack the system/game itself. That's how e.g. Pokecheck works; it doesn't need to hack the game when it can just mimic what the game is communicating with.

Does anyone know if Pokemon like Azumarill will be able to be transferred over, since their new type and yeah?
Not an issue. Species retyping is a Gen VI thing just like move tweaking (e.g. Hidden Power getting a fixed 60 power instead of variable, or Keen Eye ignoring evasion), it won't affect imports of older Pokemons. As long as the Pokemon was acquired legit (or, technically speaking, passable as legit) in its source generation, it'll be okay.

Any insight on the following info posted on the Pokémon Bank FAQ? I'm not sure what this means. Also see the bolded part... Does this mean if I play Pokémon BW/BW2 on my 3DS and perform a bank transfer, I won't be able to use BW/BW2 on any other 3DS/DS I own?

Will I have to transfer my Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID when I want to transfer Pokémon from these older titles to Pokémon Bank?
If you want to continue playing Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 on a system from the Nintendo DS family (and not on your Nintendo 3DS XL/3DS), you need not worry—there is no need to transfer your connection ID.

On the other hand, if you expect that you will continue playing Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 on your Nintendo 3DS XL/3DS, then you will need to transfer your Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID.

Please note, however, that once you transfer your Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID from a system in the Nintendo DS family to a Nintendo 3DS XL/3DS, you will be unable to transfer your Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID to any other system from the Nintendo DS family, including other Nintendo 3DS XL/3DS systems.

FYI: Warnings when changing Nintendo DS systems

Please also note that Poké Transporter is an application that you can download only onto a Nintendo 3DS XL/3DS that has also downloaded Pokémon Bank, and it cannot be downloaded to any other system in the Nintendo DS family.

You can use Pokémon Bank with a Nintendo 3DS XL/3DS system that has Pokémon X or Pokémon Y inserted into it or downloaded onto it, and Poké Transporter can be used on the same Nintendo 3DS XL/3DS system with Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 inserted into it.

Well I'm not going to be transferring any of my old pokemon because I simply refuse to have to pay for the privilege to do so. I'm not even interested in storing pokemon online, I just wanted to transfer my old pokemon like I could do in the past for free :(

So... Is just pretending that all the required hardware needed, for transferring from generation to generation in the past, cost nothing a thing to do now? Because link cables and second portable consoles aren't free.

You could get your parents to pay for the service, too. Then Pokemon Bank would be 'free,' just as link cables and consoles were 'free' when our parents bought them for us in the past.

Last edited:
Well I'm not going to be transferring any of my old pokemon because I simply refuse to have to pay for the privilege to do so. I'm not even interested in storing pokemon online, I just wanted to transfer my old pokemon like I could do in the past for free :(

So... Is just pretending that all the required hardware needed, for transferring from generation to generation in the past, cost nothing a thing to do now? Because link cables and second portable consoles aren't free.

You could get your parents to pay for the service, too. Then Pokemon Bank would be 'free,' just as link cables and consoles were 'free' when our parents bought them for us in the past.

It's not the problem that I can't afford it, I just disagree with the fact that you have to pay for it over and over again every year. If it was a one off payment for something you could use and keep forever such as consoles and link cables etc. then that would be a bit better but this isn't the case. Pokemon Bank should be an optional feature for people to pay to store their pokemon online if they want to. Transfering pokemon from previous gens should be a free feature built into the games you have already purchased and not require online (not everyone can play online) as has been the case in previous gens. The only reason they have combined the two is to try to force people only wanting to transfer their old pokemon to pay a yearly subscription on top of the cost of purchasing the game and console etc.

Your entitled to your opinion as I'm entitled to mine but I'm not going to pay for something that I think is wrong, even if sticking to my principles on this only ultimately ends up with myself missing out on something.

You're entitled to your opinion, but don't pretend transfers were previously free. That's just delusion. The closest a transfer has been to being free since Gen 3-4 is the free Pokemon Bank trial.

Oh, you'r enot forced to pay for the transfer. You get that month long trial after you first download Pokemon Bank. If you're just transferring once, there you go: completely free.

It's not the problem that I can't afford it, I just disagree with the fact that you have to pay for it over and over again every year. If it was a one off payment for something you could use and keep forever such as consoles and link cables etc. then that would be a bit better but this isn't the case. Pokemon Bank should be an optional feature for people to pay to store their pokemon online if they want to. Transfering pokemon from previous gens should be a free feature built into the games you have already purchased and not require online (not everyone can play online) as has been the case in previous gens. The only reason they have combined the two is to try to force people only wanting to transfer their old pokemon to pay a yearly subscription on top of the cost of purchasing the game and console etc.

Your entitled to your opinion as I'm entitled to mine but I'm not going to pay for something that I think is wrong, even if sticking to my principles on this only ultimately ends up with myself missing out on something.

A transfer system couldn't be built in game which is why they had to create an app. It was either this way or no way at all.

For the price of "free" transferring from Gen I-2 ($90 Game Boy and $20 Link Cable), you could pay for 22 years of Bank service.

In other words, anyone who is claiming past transfers between generations was free is lying or delusional.

I really don't care it's a paid app, at least we are getting some mean to transfer our gen V poké over to gen VI. Unlike the Gen II -> Gen III thingy :/

My only problem with this now is the decision to wait until December/January. I wish it'd be up by November or so.

A transfer system couldn't be built in game which is why they had to create an app. It was either this way or no way at all.
I think I touched upon this a few pages back. If PokeTransporter was handled like PokeShifter was in Gen V, you would need a second 3DS to do the transfer, especially if you have the retail version of XY.

The only way to transfer Pokemon from Gen V to VI without the need for a second handheld unit is to have some kind of intermediate place to store the Pokemon, and your 3DS's SD card isn't quite reliable enough to do the job.

Just a note, the Lumiose Glitch patch apparently needed to save on the SD card and not the game cartridge itself.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom