• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost wonder if one of the problem they ran into was Hack checking and the resulting waits from people needing to go back and do whatever to the hacked mons was a problem. Bascialy Send up a tray of 30 have one of them be hacked, bounce back the tray for the person to take the hacked mon out but leave the channel open untill logout for them to send back the tray without the hacked mon. Bascialy that would probably cause part of the trafic load.

That could be the case, but that problem could be easily solved by patching the app so that only the hacked Pokémon is refused and the rest of the box is accepted. So I believe there's a lot more to the problem than that.

I really do not think this is true. They've said they will update on the Bank situation when they can. The whole Bank system was designed so people could transfer and store Pokemon I dont think hacks really have much to do with the delay here. Its probably more they are trying to figure out a way to prevent problems with server overload when they do release it. There is going to be a rush to download and use the service when they do release Bank.
We know the reason A of why Bank was delayed: because the stress of the servers in Christmas. But given that they haven't restoire the game yet now is a bit rare when the Christmas season is over and the servers will be fine even if Bank is released (there could be issues but nothing like 25th Dec).

Server crash was due to NNID and Eshoo, not Bank

I know that but I get the feeling Nintendo's group are using Bank as a scapegoat for the crash. You know how stubborn they are about their 'innovations'. After all, both NNID and Eshop are up and fully functional but there's been almost no word on the Bank.
You have done the key of the matter: Nintendo could use the servers as a excuse to not release Bank yet when the problem was only an issue on Christmas. Specially now that the staff are working in full. Which means that there's a possible reason B as a cause of the delay. A economic reason could be a cause of reason B to delay the Bank: 80/90% of Bank user are expected to only transfer their pokes and not use anymore; imagine Bank like a game with 1.000.000 of downloads but only 150.000 pay the service. Imagine that all the games, cost 5$ (for simply), they got 750.000 $, total where taxes are included.

Compared to the Pokemon X/Y where 10 millions of copies. With each one costing 40$ (for simply again), they win 400 millions of $ with X/Y. Which is ridiculous to say the least. Even if Bank ended getting more pay users (250.000) it wouldn't be enough the effort of the game for Nintendo.

The other reason B to have it delayed could be trying to do checks with the hack check.

One important thing to note is that the Reason B is a reason that could be made present before the delayed happened, but Nintendo (or any serious company) can delay a game for Reason B, muh less the day before. But Nintendo could use that the servers were overload (Reason A) and use the cause to Pokemon Bank (even though is all the children releasing his hristmas presents) as a exuse because with Pokemon Bank they expect to lose money (Reason B).

In other words, if Pokemon Bank hasn't got the problem with the servers of Nintendo, they have been released the game as expected.

Okay, I looked on IGN's page on PokeBank and it's says the release date is March 31st. I'm really skeptical about this especially after the January 7th debacle.
For me, IGN says Q1 2014.

Edit: Note that Pokemon Bank is a server that requires constant updating, not a game that has been finished like X/Y.

What I think is that they are going to release on January 30th (Thursday; School day) and the people who got it on Febraury 1st (Saturday) they have to pay the service.

And if they are losing money, they will retire the app eventually. And "eventually" is before XY2/Z/Other is released.

Last edited:
Nintendo reacts to the internet like Frankenstein reacts to fire!

So your conspiracy theory has changed why? Because earlier ITT you thought Bank wouldn't be released at all.

I wish I can just store pokemon on blank cd's got like a billion of them.

And if they are losing money, they will retire the app eventually. And "eventually" is before XY2/Z/Other is released.

ok I somehow doubt that they will release the bank and then turn around a few months later and shut it down. After all its one thing for people to lose there pokemon because the game cart they had them on was accidentaly droped in the trash and another for a company to take money (even a trivial ammount) and then just walk off with several games worth of Pokemon. the first loss of Pokemon is the fault of whoever tossed it in the trash and only affects that person. Deliberatly deleting thousands of pokemon that belonged to thousands of players...honestly they better dang well be out of buisness allready when that happens.....

And lets be blunt its reality check time,

For games sold as a physical unit, if its *ANYTHING* LIKE the book publishing buisness, a book that B&N sells for the 29.99 cover price the Publishers gets around 9.50....but they have to turn around and pay the printer for printing the book in the first place.

thats why everyone thought that Selling there own software directly as a Digital Download was sutch a good thing because it would allow them to keep more money.... untill they realised they needed to maintain the servers bascialy forever even for games that did not sell enough units to pay for development at the same time that the buying public was looking at them and going "why are you expecting us to pay full price for a "Digital Download" theres no box or DVD or printed manual to pay for.

Especialy nowdays when the options incude F2P games that realy are F2P

Hmmm... Didn't think we'd be waiting this long. I don't have any deep theories or conjectures about why Bank isn't up yet, but I do know that I've finally bothered to finish the Elite Four in White 2, lol.
but i won't lie every time i get on bulbanews and there's a new article i get excited hoping it's about bank

I know that but I get the feeling Nintendo's group are using Bank as a scapegoat for the crash. You know how stubborn they are about their 'innovations'. After all, both NNID and Eshop are up and fully functional but there's been almost no word on the Bank.

If the Nintendo Network and eShop crashed because of a few people in Japan, what do you think will happen if they release it in all regions at once? I'd imagine they're still trying to make sure we don't crash their servers again.

If the Nintendo Network and eShop crashed because of a few people in Japan, what do you think will happen if they release it in all regions at once? I'd imagine they're still trying to make sure we don't crash their servers again.

Yeah, this. The global link has been pretty slow lately, as have been battles over the battle spot, maybe unrelated, maybe is I don't really know. But it is something I've observed the past week or so.

I agree with the theory that after the rather rough launch period of Bank in Japan (and server crashes due to Christmas/whatever) Nintendo is probably doing more than just trying to make sure that there isn't going to be a crash "next time". If they're developing an update/patch to the app (remember, news websites like Kotaku reported how it utterly failed to detect certain kinds of hacking -- like Pokemon getting the Kalos region marker when obviously only XY-caught-or-bred Pokemon can legally posess it) then it makes sense that there are a few rounds of testing involved before they can release the update for the app.

I still highly doubt they would care about hacks at this point. They got through, so putting up more hack checks is like setting up a quarantine on your borders when the disease already got in. As I said before, I'm guessing this is more a case of trying to convince Nintendo that the servers won't break, since Nintendo doesn't understand how the internet works or when its ideas are bad. They're like a spoiled kid in a sense.

Won't say that isn't true, but to reiterate, there were three named main reasons (new NNID registrations, high download traffic of TLoZ: A Link Between Worlds - only mentioned in Japanese notices AFAIK - and Pokémon Bank). With the relaunch, only the Bank should remain, so making such a comparison isn't as easy as it sounds.

I still highly doubt they would care about hacks at this point. They got through, so putting up more hack checks is like setting up a quarantine on your borders when the disease already got in. As I said before, I'm guessing this is more a case of trying to convince Nintendo that the servers won't break, since Nintendo doesn't understand how the internet works or when its ideas are bad. They're like a spoiled kid in a sense.

While I honestly don't know what the long delay is all about - avoiding a server crash is a good theory - your analogy doesn't hold up. Some hacks have got through in Japan - that's not the same as all hacks everyone has worldwide getting through. Whether you like it or not, some hackmons are flat-out cheating, and I hope that for the same reason Ranking Battles were shut down for a while that something is done about them. At least that way the potential of running into a cheat is minimised

While I honestly don't know what the long delay is all about - avoiding a server crash is a good theory - your analogy doesn't hold up. Some hacks have got through in Japan - that's not the same as all hacks everyone has worldwide getting through. Whether you like it or not, some hackmons are flat-out cheating, and I hope that for the same reason Ranking Battles were shut down for a while that something is done about them. At least that way the potential of running into a cheat is minimised

How does my analogy fail here? Even if hacks don't get through worldwide, the fact that some HAVE already (plenty in fact, and some which reportedly were given PIDs to bypass the pentagon system) renders any point in stopping more rather moot, because it means those in Japan or who had Japanese 3DSes will already have all they need.

I'm kinda getting tired of checking the eshop 3 to 5 times a day to see if we have a release date, managed to get all 18 starters and now i'm starting to get some other pokes i need. By the time bank releases i might not have much of a need for it lmao. Oh well still can't wait to have a "living dex" saved to cloud storage for gen 7.

How does my analogy fail here? Even if hacks don't get through worldwide, the fact that some HAVE already (plenty in fact, and some which reportedly were given PIDs to bypass the pentagon system) renders any point in stopping more rather moot, because it means those in Japan or who had Japanese 3DSes will already have all they need.

More moot, yes, but not completely pointless as you seem to be suggesting

Wouldn't it be better to have (I'm just pulling these numbers out of mid-air) lets say 1000 hacked Japanese pokemon with a 1/4000 chance of encountering one in battle than 100000 International hacked Pokemon with a 1/40 chance of running into one?

Now, I know these numbers are complete baloney but isn't any attempt to keep more out a GOOD thing?

Now, I know these numbers are complete baloney but isn't any attempt to keep more out a GOOD thing?

Not really, since it won't stop the people who abhorrently hate hacks from complaining. I just think it's unfair. Keep in mind that to date, the app is still fully functional, and people just can't download it. This means that determined hackers in Japan (and let's not pretend they are few in number) Have had ~2 weeks now to generate and use hacks of their choosing. Even if we cut off the supply now, it wouldn't matter. You'd run into them more often than one would think.

Considering that some people are disappointed that even legitimate RNGed mons don't get banned by hack checks, I think some people are just beyond pleasing.

Besides the unreleased Hidden Abilities, I haven't seen evidence that blatantly illegal mons, such as WonderTomb, can make it through. Someone even posted ITT that his Hall of Origin Arceus wasn't able to make it through.

Considering that some people are disappointed that even legitimate RNGed mons don't get banned by hack checks, I think some people are just beyond pleasing.

Besides the unreleased Hidden Abilities, I haven't seen evidence that blatantly illegal mons, such as WonderTomb, can make it through. Someone even posted ITT that his Hall of Origin Arceus wasn't able to make it through.

I'm starting to wish I'd kept that Master Ball Sinnoh Turtwig. It wasn't a gamebreaker but it was still blatant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom