• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Pokemon Best types

Diegofr3377

Reaction score
Types in pokemon are a fundamental factor in determining how good a pokemon will perform in battle. Although there are top tier pokemons even with an awful typing, like, Tyranitar, is good to have in mins what typws are we looking for our team building. I divide them in 4 categories:

The types with the least weaknesses
The average ok amount of weaknesses is 3. You may handle even 4. But really awesome types have 2 or less weaknesses. Here is a list:

TYPE 1, TYPE 2, WEAKNESSES

Steel bug 1
Ground Water 1
Dark Poison 1
Dark Ghost 1
Electric 1
Normal 1
Ground Fire 2
Ground Flying 2
Steel Fairy 2
Steel Flying 2
Water Flying 2
Steel Grass 2
Electric Fairy 2
Electric Flying 2
Water Electric 2
Electric bug 2
Ghost Fairy 2
Steel Dragon 2
Steel Poison 2
Electric Poison 2
Ghost Psychic 2
Water Dragon 2
Fairy Normal 2
Fairy 2
Water 2
Poison 2
Electric Normal 2
Ghost 2
Psychic Normal 2
Poison Normal 2

Most Supereffectives:
I consider a good attacker if it's effective against at least 6 types, which is a 3rd of all types. So in theory, with 3 of these you can cover all the types at least normally effective.

TYPE 1, TYPE 2, SUPEREFFECTIVE AGAINST #
Ground Ice 9
Fighting Ice 9
Ground Fire 8
Ground Flying 8
Ground Bug 8
Ground Fairy 8
Fighting Flying 8
Ground Fight 8
Ground Rock 8
Fighting Rock 8
Fighting Dark 7
Electric Fight 7
Fire Grass 7
Steel Ice 7
Fighting Poison 7
Fighting Psychic 7
Bug rock 7
Fire Water 7
Fighting Bug 7
Ground Electric 7
Fire Fairy 7
Rock Fairy 7
Fighting Fire 7
Fighting Ghost 7
Ground Grass 7
Rock Grass 7
Steel Ground 7
Fire Ice 7
Ground Poison 7
Fighting Fairy 7
Ground Ghost 7
Fighting Water 7
Ground Dark 7
Fighting Grass 7
Steel bug 6
Ground Water 6
Steel Fairy 6
Steel Flying 6
Water Flying 6
Fire Bug 6
Water Bug 6
Ground Dragon 6
Fire Electric 6
Water Fairy 6
Steel Fight 6
Steel Fire 6
Steel Rock 6

Most Resistances
The same, a pokemon that can handle at least 6 types has a good amount of resistances because in theory you can cover all attacks with 3 of these.

Steel Electric 12
Steel Normal 12
Steel Ghost 12
Steel Fairy 11
Steel Dark 11
Steel Water 11
Steel Ground 10
Steel Flying 10
Steel Fire 10
Steel Grass 10
Steel Dragon 10
Steel Poison 10
Steel Ice 9
Steel bug 9
Steel Fight 9
Steel Rock 9
Fire Fairy 8
Fire Electric 8
Water Poison 8
Electric Poison 8
Fighting Water 7
Water Fairy 7
Fire Flying 7
Electric Ghost 7
Ground Fire 6
Ground Fairy 6
Ground Rock 6
Fighting Rock 6
Fighting Poison 6
Rock Fairy 6
Fighting Fire 6
Ground Poison 6
Ground Ghost 6
Ground Dark 6
Fighting Grass 6
Water Flying 6
Fire Bug 6
Electric Fairy 6
Electric Flying 6
Poison Fairy 6
Fire 6

Lastly, the best balance.
These are the pokemons which are within the top pokemons in all 3 categories, therefore I consider them the best typing.

TYPE 1, TYPE 2, WEAKNESSES, SUPERS, RESIST.
Steel bug 1 6 9
Steel Fairy 2 6 11
Steel Flying 2 6 10
Ground Fire 2 8 6
Water Flying 2 6 6

Hope this is useful for you. Feel free to comment your thoughts on this topic.

Last edited:
what about immunities? this would suggest we would realy need a immunity ability against steel type and flying type moves.

what about immunities? this would suggest we would realy need a immunity ability against steel type and flying type moves.
To keep things simple, inmunities are agrouped in the resistances. Wether is a resistance by 1/2, 1/4, or x0 it fullfill the same role, to send a pokemon safely to the battle preventing a certain type of attack. I actually have a table with all of this categorized but I thought it would be to much info.
For the second statement, up to now we already have mecanisms to deal with those types. Steel types are certainly awesome, but there are many ways to stop them.
At least that's what I think.

Thanks for posting that information! However Pokemon types don't exist in a vacuum. Here's the other things I'm looking at:
- What are the strongest moves to use in coverage?
- What types are the strongest Pokemon, and what types do they have access to?
- What are opponents likely to use in an attempt to counter your strengths?

After all, resisting something which is either very strong, or widely accessible, is better than resisting a type that doesn't have any strong moves, or whose moves are not widely available. Similarly, it matters more to have moves which are effective vs very strong Pokemon than having moves which are effective vs Pokemon which are incredibly weak anyway. I'm also not weighing the Defensive merits of a typing more than the Offensive merits, since coverage moves are always going to matter more than STAB bonuses. A super effective move is +100% damage, STAB is only +30%. The fact you can stack them both means offensive typing Does matter, but they're certainly not equally important.

Due to that, and due to the fact that Steel is so overwhelmingly powerful defensively, you'll see Fire, Fighting, and Ground moves all over the place. The only other types which are as common in coverage are Ice and Dark, with Rock shortly behind. This, in turn, gives you super effective moves vs: Grass, Ice, Bug, Steel, Ground, Flying, Dragon, Normal, Ice, Rock, Dark, Poison, Fire, Electric, Flying, Psychic, Ghost.

You'll notice that the two types not listed are Water and Fairy. Though Steel and Electric moves can be brought along for that purpose (Grass and Poison as well, but Steel and Electric are more common and preferred), they're both less common and typically not as good of moves. Steel is more common and stronger than Electric offensively, and is more likely to be found on a challenging opponent with a STAB bonus, so in practicality the strongest defensive typing is Water, followed by Fairy, in conjunction with the mono-weakness types (since any given Pokemon can't have ALL coverage options).

Offensively, you'd love to have STAB bonuses vs many types, without greatly expanding your weaknesses. The most optimal ones are those which both hit multiple types, and hit steel in particular, so Fire, Fighting, and Ground, with (as previously indicated) Ice, Dark, and Rock also being nice, but only Dark of those is a 3-weakness type, so Ice and Rock are tough to fit in.

Take those into consideration, and imho the strongest types are as follows:

Water/Ground: 1 weakness, vs a typing which is almost never seen, with 5 types you have super effective STAB moves against, including Steel. Plus, due to Water types being given near universal access to Ice type moves, and Ground pokemon being given near universal access to Rock type moves, you have potential access to Super Effective moves vs another 5 types, including the only one you're weak against. Offensively and defensively, absolutely monsterous.
Dark/Ghost: 1 weakness, vs an uncommonly used typing, and your STAB moves give you neutral or better coverage vs everything other than other Dark types. As long as you have access to the appropriate coverage moves yourself, you'll be in an advantageous position, making this well balanced for nearly any situation.
Bug/Steel: In a theoretical world where you can bring along a Grass and Fighting move along with your Bug and Steel moves, you have the edge vs absolutely everything other than Electric, Flying, and Ghost. So if they have a fire move, you lose, but if not, you're virtually guaranteed to win.

Now all of this is assuming you are against intelligent opponents built to exploit your weaknesses. Vs the computer, which uses moves basically at random, the types you listed are all great. So is any Fairy, Steel, Water, or Dragon type, and especially combos of those.

Of course, a Pokemon's effectiveness typically has more to do with its abilities, stats, and moveset than it does its typing. And the relative rarity of pokemon of a given type varies wildly from game to game, and in doing so you see varying amounts of importance to have resistances vs something or coverage against it. In HG/SS, due to facing 5 million Koffing (who thanks to Levitate have only a single weakness), you REALLY want a Psychic type Pokemon, or at minimum a Psychic type move. In Sw/Sh, not only is Psychic type practically useless anyway, it's nearly unusable due to the near universal presence of Dark moves. So it's more nuanced than that. Even still.

If a new Pokemon comes out, and it's a Water/Ground; Dark/Ghost, or Bug/Steel Pokemon, it's getting looked at first and foremost from my perspective. I guarantee At Least 1 Water, Fairy, Steel, and / or Dragon type is making it onto my team. And finally, I can guarantee I'll have at least 5 of the 6 main coverage types represented in moves my team has access to (Fire, Fighting, Ground, Ice, Dark, Rock). All of this assumes a normal playthrough and not a challenge, but if you want to make things as easy as possible for yourself, offensively and defensively, imho that's the way to do it.

Thanks for posting that information! However Pokemon types don't exist in a vacuum. Here's the other things I'm looking at:
- What are the strongest moves to use in coverage?
- What types are the strongest Pokemon, and what types do they have access to?
- What are opponents likely to use in an attempt to counter your strengths?

After all, resisting something which is either very strong, or widely accessible, is better than resisting a type that doesn't have any strong moves, or whose moves are not widely available. Similarly, it matters more to have moves which are effective vs very strong Pokemon than having moves which are effective vs Pokemon which are incredibly weak anyway. I'm also not weighing the Defensive merits of a typing more than the Offensive merits, since coverage moves are always going to matter more than STAB bonuses. A super effective move is +100% damage, STAB is only +30%. The fact you can stack them both means offensive typing Does matter, but they're certainly not equally important.

Due to that, and due to the fact that Steel is so overwhelmingly powerful defensively, you'll see Fire, Fighting, and Ground moves all over the place. The only other types which are as common in coverage are Ice and Dark, with Rock shortly behind. This, in turn, gives you super effective moves vs: Grass, Ice, Bug, Steel, Ground, Flying, Dragon, Normal, Ice, Rock, Dark, Poison, Fire, Electric, Flying, Psychic, Ghost.

You'll notice that the two types not listed are Water and Fairy. Though Steel and Electric moves can be brought along for that purpose (Grass and Poison as well, but Steel and Electric are more common and preferred), they're both less common and typically not as good of moves. Steel is more common and stronger than Electric offensively, and is more likely to be found on a challenging opponent with a STAB bonus, so in practicality the strongest defensive typing is Water, followed by Fairy, in conjunction with the mono-weakness types (since any given Pokemon can't have ALL coverage options).

Offensively, you'd love to have STAB bonuses vs many types, without greatly expanding your weaknesses. The most optimal ones are those which both hit multiple types, and hit steel in particular, so Fire, Fighting, and Ground, with (as previously indicated) Ice, Dark, and Rock also being nice, but only Dark of those is a 3-weakness type, so Ice and Rock are tough to fit in.

Take those into consideration, and imho the strongest types are as follows:

Water/Ground: 1 weakness, vs a typing which is almost never seen, with 5 types you have super effective STAB moves against, including Steel. Plus, due to Water types being given near universal access to Ice type moves, and Ground pokemon being given near universal access to Rock type moves, you have potential access to Super Effective moves vs another 5 types, including the only one you're weak against. Offensively and defensively, absolutely monsterous.
Dark/Ghost: 1 weakness, vs an uncommonly used typing, and your STAB moves give you neutral or better coverage vs everything other than other Dark types. As long as you have access to the appropriate coverage moves yourself, you'll be in an advantageous position, making this well balanced for nearly any situation.
Bug/Steel: In a theoretical world where you can bring along a Grass and Fighting move along with your Bug and Steel moves, you have the edge vs absolutely everything other than Electric, Flying, and Ghost. So if they have a fire move, you lose, but if not, you're virtually guaranteed to win.

Now all of this is assuming you are against intelligent opponents built to exploit your weaknesses. Vs the computer, which uses moves basically at random, the types you listed are all great. So is any Fairy, Steel, Water, or Dragon type, and especially combos of those.

Of course, a Pokemon's effectiveness typically has more to do with its abilities, stats, and moveset than it does its typing. And the relative rarity of pokemon of a given type varies wildly from game to game, and in doing so you see varying amounts of importance to have resistances vs something or coverage against it. In HG/SS, due to facing 5 million Koffing (who thanks to Levitate have only a single weakness), you REALLY want a Psychic type Pokemon, or at minimum a Psychic type move. In Sw/Sh, not only is Psychic type practically useless anyway, it's nearly unusable due to the near universal presence of Dark moves. So it's more nuanced than that. Even still.

If a new Pokemon comes out, and it's a Water/Ground; Dark/Ghost, or Bug/Steel Pokemon, it's getting looked at first and foremost from my perspective. I guarantee At Least 1 Water, Fairy, Steel, and / or Dragon type is making it onto my team. And finally, I can guarantee I'll have at least 5 of the 6 main coverage types represented in moves my team has access to (Fire, Fighting, Ground, Ice, Dark, Rock). All of this assumes a normal playthrough and not a challenge, but if you want to make things as easy as possible for yourself, offensively and defensively, imho that's the way to do it.
Wow, that's a lot of info haha. But you are right. This is just to have a vague idea of typings, but it does matters others stuffs like the stadistics of the META, the most common threat, rhe strongest moves and such. Also what pokemons have that typing. Ground fire is an awesome typing, but only used by camerupt. Camerupt is good but certainly is not OP or top tier. As I said at the begenning rock dark is an awfuĺ typing, but is used by Tyranitar, a really top tier pokemon.

By the way, i'm waiting for a new drk/ghost pokemon.
It's an awesome typing but I don't like to use spiritomb or sableye. I would like to see a bulky physical attacker with over 110 in attack with a base speed around 80~100 and at least 1 speed boosting move.

And for the best attacking moves, to put it simple, IMO those are the ones you can hit the most ppokemons with them. Ground earthquake will be my favorite because is strong, accurate, hits a lot of things and is learned by many pokemons.. Then close combat would be my nest option. Then flamethrower. I usually put accuracy over raw power. But if the user is bulky enough to stand many hits then fire blast would be better.
By the way. I think the best 4 types of moves to spend your slots are ground flying electric and dark.

Wow, that's a lot of info haha. But you are right. This is just to have a vague idea of typings, but it does matters others stuffs like the stadistics of the META, the most common threat, rhe strongest moves and such. Also what pokemons have that typing. Ground fire is an awesome typing, but only used by camerupt. Camerupt is good but certainly is not OP or top tier. As I said at the begenning rock dark is an awfuĺ typing, but is used by Tyranitar, a really top tier pokemon.

speed is the main point with typing, priority moves and movesets that allow to use it fully and longer

speed is the main point with typing, priority moves and movesets that allow to use it fully and longer
It depends on what kind of pokemon you want. A fragile hard hitting blazing fast pokemon will prefer a typing with a wide variety of coverage. While a tank or a wall will prefer either many resistances or fewer weaknesses.

It depends on what kind of pokemon you want. A fragile hard hitting blazing fast pokemon will prefer a typing with a wide variety of coverage. While a tank or a wall will prefer either many resistances or fewer weaknesses.

seriously you can create both. lets see we got grass/fighting with its poison and flying weakness and Chesnaught and Breloom where speed against those two double weakness is important but also the moves used against them. chesnaught can live longer with items and its spiky shield...

stats distribution is more important then typing itself here

seriously you can create both. lets see we got grass/fighting with its poison and flying weakness and Chesnaught and Breloom where speed against those two double weakness is important but also the moves used against them. chesnaught can live longer with items and its spiky shield...

stats distribution is more important then typing itself here
And not only that, the moveset as well. I use the all time classic spore breloom with focussash bullet seed and its bread and butter mach punch with technician.

And not only that, the moveset as well. I use the all time classic spore breloom with focussash bullet seed and its bread and butter mach punch with technician.

yes nice touch with that.

hmmm abilities, always wondered why bug/ghost wasnt used since gen 3.
Shedinja and Wonder Guard.
a typing that had 5 weknesess actually. Maybe they wanted a cool bug there.

the same is with ground/ghost, dragon/ghost.

Was wondering if they planed the unoficial dragon skeleton ground/ghost with this typing to have wonder guard first?
But weirder is that after so many generations we didnt get pokemon with abilities to be immune to special moves or ones to physical spectre or more wonder guard users actually.

Do you think a ground/ghost or dragon/ghost skeleton with ability: Cursed Skeleton or Skeleton Body immune to special attacks(all special attacks without the type bias) could make its way into the game?
with Shedinja like stats similar but could be slower and instead of 1hp it could have 1 sp. defense point.
(For Moldbreakers and moves that dont react to abilities)

With restricted moveset.

ps. physical and special attacks are more common then the 18 types bias, shedinja had a 5/17 x now 5/18 chance to get taken out in battle when using 6 pokemon with 4 moves: 24 attacks to chose from in team battle

I dont know how people currently or generaly create teams around and if they are more special or physical oriented but would be worth checking too.
a physical version or counterpart ability would maybe work also well with a ghost/flying(5 weaknesses) or ghost/poison(female, 4 weaknesses) pokemon with "gas and air" body motive that would naturaly make it immune to all physical moves... let them through it like nothing happened.

was also thinking about ghost/rock typing with oposite ability to shedinja to make it immune to moves that are SE against it bc it would have 6 weaknesses
to make a shoking effect on oponents, also would have shedinja high stats but with more hp then speed.

Do you think such 3 pokemon could be created in future to make it more interesting game wise?

steel/flying till now was till now a offensive type combo,

We didnt get a realy fast one or ones focused on defensive side...
could imagine a golden duck or a blue owl with clock on chest pokemon with those typings...
and a moveset with more twist like giving golden duck aqua ring and egg bomb or the owl getting psychic and time or turn related moves

Last edited:
yes nice touch with that.

hmmm abilities, always wondered why bug/ghost wasnt used since gen 3.
Shedinja and Wonder Guard.
a typing that had 5 weknesess actually. Maybe they wanted a cool bug there.

the same is with ground/ghost, dragon/ghost.

Was wondering if they planed the unoficial dragon skeleton ground/ghost with this typing to have wonder guard first?
But weirder is that after so many generations we didnt get pokemon with abilities to be immune to special moves or ones to physical spectre or more wonder guard users actually.

Do you think a ground/ghost or dragon/ghost skeleton with ability: Cursed Skeleton or Skeleton Body immune to special attacks(all special attacks without the type bias) could make its way into the game?
with Shedinja like stats similar but could be slower and instead of 1hp it could have 1 sp. defense point.
(For Moldbreakers and moves that dont react to abilities)

With restricted moveset.

ps. physical and special attacks are more common then the 18 types bias, shedinja had a 5/17 x now 5/18 chance to get taken out in battle when using 6 pokemon with 4 moves: 24 attacks to chose from in team battle

I dont know how people currently or generaly create teams around and if they are more special or physical oriented but would be worth checking too.
a physical version or counterpart ability would maybe work also well with a ghost/flying(5 weaknesses) or ghost/poison(female, 4 weaknesses) pokemon with "gas and air" body motive that would naturaly make it immune to all physical moves... let them through it like nothing happened.

was also thinking about ghost/rock typing with oposite ability to shedinja to make it immune to moves that are SE against it bc it would have 6 weaknesses
to make a shoking effect on oponents, also would have shedinja high stats but with more hp then speed.

Do you think such 3 pokemon could be created in future to make it more interesting game wise?

steel/flying till now was till now a offensive type combo,

We didnt get a realy fast one or ones focused on defensive side...
could imagine a golden duck or a blue owl with clock on chest pokemon with those typings...
and a moveset with more twist like giving golden duck aqua ring and egg bomb or the owl getting psychic and time or turn related moves
GF used to like balanced pokemon (balanced in a bad way) with the UBs they started to do what we wanted, forget about useless stats and focus on the important ones. You can see this in Zacian and Zamacenta. Those are the only legendaries I've seen so far with a well defined physical role. They droped the Sp. Attack for more physical attack.
But maybe they want to keep wonderguard as an ace for a weak pokemon. Only for fun.
What I would like is to see better stat distribution in the future. Proper movests and give at least 1 usefull ability for battle and another for in-game uses.

GF used to like balanced pokemon (balanced in a bad way) with the UBs they started to do what we wanted, forget about useless stats and focus on the important ones. You can see this in Zacian and Zamacenta. Those are the only legendaries I've seen so far with a well defined physical role. They droped the Sp. Attack for more physical attack.
But maybe they want to keep wonderguard as an ace for a weak pokemon. Only for fun.
What I would like is to see better stat distribution in the future. Proper movests and give at least 1 usefull ability for battle and another for in-game uses.

would help to control stronger pokemon too in some cases. I would hope for more of that kind.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom