• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Best Wishes, now with a boring title.

Replacing an awkward and unmarketable title in favor of a clear-cut and more logical one = good.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

jessiescreen.png

titlecard1.png

meowthscreen.png

titlecard2.png
I love you. =D

Pokemon: Tales of Unova.

It doesn't do the B W thing, but... yeah.

Me personally, I'd have been fine with them using Best Wishes!, personally (except that my prediction of them not using it would've been wrong), but this is one of the dub changes I'm fine with.

Generally, though, I'm not one to say, "Hey dub, the Japanese version did X things- could you change this, this, this, and this? Thanks..."

But from an English context alone, "Pokemon Best Wishes" to me sounds like, "That's the best thing you could come up with for B W?" I didn't realize the "isshu" thing at first, and when I did, that was when I accepted it.

I don't think Black and White is much better, but

They changed the title from Best Wishes!... big whoop...

I see what I did there...

Heh. Typical of English dubs to screw up titles and stuff. But, oh well, who knows? I might enjoy the english dub. I just hope the theme song isn't as bad as Sinnoh League Victors' theme. -_-

^ How many English dubs change the title of the show?

gotpika said:
Pokemon:Good Luck

If they were considering that one, they might as well've kept Best Wishes!. They both mean pretty much the same thing, but at least the latter has the B W thing going on.

Aren't there more dubs that keep their Japanese titles than do not? If so, then English dubs changing the titles is not typical, which is what I was getting at.

Not that this made Best Wishes! remaining in the dub anymore likely...

Say... who wonders if they're gonna actually say "best wishes" in the show, in like, the first episode of this series or something? I wouldn't be surprised if they did that because they didn't keep the title.

How in the world is the title Best Wishes! "girly?"

And for that matter, why would you care if some kid called you a "girly girl?" What, are we suddenly all living in the middle of an 80s sitcom now or something?

Hey, I think it's alright. But I am not the target audience, am I?

How in the world is the title Best Wishes! "girly?"

And for that matter, why would you care if some kid called you a "girly girl?" What, are we suddenly all living in the middle of an 80s sitcom now or something?

Dogasu when I was in Kindergarten ppl talked bout' Pokemon all the time n a lotta do still today Im around a lotta young kids n look at it like this boys watch boyish action things like Pokemon girls watch girly girl things usually like Hannah Montana a lot em' n my school do. Best Wishes "Wishes" "Barbie magical princess Wish doll" think of it like that sort of.
BestWishes.JPG
That's the 1st image i got of google image

Even now n the 9th grade for boys it's bout' bein' big n tough n funny for girls it's bout' bein' pretty girly n mature it's hard to explain but even though wish is used by both genders a lot a lotta ppl consider it to be a little girly since girls should "Follow your dreams" and have "beautiful wishes" like that movie that aired on Disney recently "16 Wishes" n how the girls at my school have Dreams n wishes of love n stuff it's a weak defense sorta but it's just you know it.

Last edited:
I honestly don't care about the change. I knew that they would probably call it Black and White because the Best Wishes pun wouldn't work in English. I just they don't name future seasons things like "Pokemon BW: Rockin' Plasmic Showdowns" xP
My main concern is how they'll handle the theme song. They'll most likely just use a bunch of episode clips but if they decide to use any of the CGI opening then the whole thing should be CGI. I know that in the past they've combined episode clips with clips from the Japanese openings but if they did that with the BW opening then it would really look bad.

The pun is kind of forced, though, since they're having to misspell the word "Wish" (it should be ウィッシュ, not ウイッシュ) in order to fit it in.

And even though the pun wouldn't have worked in the English version since Isshu is going to be called "Unova" (shudders), the title still would have worked for the dub.

Re: Pokémon Best Wishes, now with an awesome title.

I wonder if I'm allowed to do that to the top...to change it to "an awesome title" as opposed to "boring". D8

And yo, Dogasu, "Unova" isn't that bad at all. It sounds quite pretty, and when said out-loud, is also quite cool. Plus it's basically a translation of "Isshu", isn't it? Shuddering at "Unova" is like shuddering at "Isshu".

I like they kept the dub title the same as the games. It's nice and simple, right to the point. The point being this is telling you what the games are based off of.

Meh, the title of each dub season never mattered to me. =P

I care about more important things, like the show's quality. Which to me, hasn't been as great as it was back in season 8. But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I wonder what Pokemon Black and White will be like...

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom