• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Black and White 2 revealed on Pokémon Smash!: Game Freak director Masuda make

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pokémon Black and White 2 revealed on Pokémon Smash!: Game Freak director Masuda

I really don't get the Hoenn speculations... it'll probably be in Unova some time after the events of the original BW...
And if we'd get to visit any past region, I bet it'll be Kanto (which I also said I'm expecting to see in remakes if we'll get any this gen rather than Hoenn)
BW did a lot of references to gen 1 and Kanto was also always playable in every gen (1-RGBY, 2-GSC, 3-FRLG, 4-HGSS, 5-?...)
The fact we're getting a sequal is also kind of a gen 1 thing, since it was the only one to get sort of a sequel in gen 2 (and as some said here already, "Pocket Monsters 2" was also how GS were originally called...)
Not that I'm saying Kanto will be in BW2 - it'll probably be just Unova - but I sure find that much more likely than Hoenn (and also find Kanto remake games more likely than Hoenn remake games)

I think it's much more likely that if another region is in BW2, it'll be Kanto. I still think that the remakes will be of Ruby and Sapphire, of which I have no doubt because it follows the patterns of the last two gens. If Kanto must be playable, it'll be included as an extra region in either BW2 or RS remakes. It could also be possible that Kanto will be in the RS remakes because I remember that the Battle Frontier in the anime was located in Kanto.

Re: Pokémon Black and White 2 revealed on Pokémon Smash!: Game Freak director Masuda

Kanto would make no sense.

And I'm pretty sure no one wants to visit Kanto again. We have HGSS for that.

Really you think Kanto remakes are more likely than Hoenn ones?

Yes
BW is just referencing gen 1 too much for me to stop thinking this way
I said that lots of times before and I'll keep saying it until proved otherwise - I think Kanto revisit in BW2 or Kanto as the next remake games is much more likely than Hoenn

HotFireRed CoolLeafGreen? WaterBlue? ElectricYellow?

I'm sure they'll be able to find good enough names if they'll want to do it, that's surely not what will stop them...

Why not LandRuby OceanSapphire? Or even include Hoenn in BW2 as the region N was seen flying over on his dragon.

That's just some people dying to get their RS remakes
In my opinion the only gens who needed a remake are 1 & 2 - since they looked totally outdated and really bad compared to the gen 3 and up

I actually think there's no more need for remakes, so I'm not really saying another gen 1 remake is needed either, I simply find it likely to happen, because BW got lots of Kanto references + with how in both games and anime they made it so we see mostly the gen 5 Poké, it wouldn't surprise me if they'll want to "reintroduce" past gens Poké and think that the first gen is a good way to do it
Also, as I said, they let us visit Kanto every gen, so I can see them continuing to do that this time too (though they did prove us we can't predict them and that they don't always follow past traditions)

Another thing I thought about is the that with the whole earthquake/tsunami stuff (that caused the TR/TP eps not to air at all and that fishing eps to be delayed/edited/retconned) maybe they wouldn't want to release games starring Pokémon like Groudon and Kyogre... maybe I'm just exaggerating on this one, but it's something to consider...

Kanto would make no sense.

And I'm pretty sure no one wants to visit Kanto again. We have HGSS for that.

I agree. I wasn't actually taking Kanto seriously, just giving a better possibility. We don't need Kanto in Gen V because of HGSS, like you said.

Am I like the only one hoping these 2 games have nothing to do with Hoenn? I want actual RS remakes. I think they deserve it if the games before those got remakes.

Shit. If this is released around Christmas, I might not get it! I'll have to fight people in stores to get it.

Or I can pre-order it and show up right in front of the game store before it opens.

Usually you can preorder them. I normally preorder at Gamestop. I made the mistake of not doing that when BW came out because usually there was no trouble getting Pokemon games, and there was a really long line and tons of people buying it. Not doing that again! I'm definitely going to preorder.

I think it's much more likely that if another region is in BW2, it'll be Kanto. I still think that the remakes will be of Ruby and Sapphire, of which I have no doubt because it follows the patterns of the last two gens.
Why are people convinced that there have to be remakes in this generation when we've just seen that there doesn't have to be a third version? Last I checked, the third version tradition lasted four generations, whereas there are only two precedents for remake releases. It baffles my mind that people still cling to these patterns.

Really you think Kanto remakes are more likely than Hoenn ones?

Yes
BW is just referencing gen 1 too much for me to stop thinking this way
I said that lots of times before and I'll keep saying it until proved otherwise - I think Kanto revisit in BW2 or Kanto as the next remake games is much more likely than Hoenn

Why not LandRuby OceanSapphire? Or even include Hoenn in BW2 as the region N was seen flying over on his dragon.

That's just some people dying to get their RS remakes
In my opinion the only gens who needed a remake are 1 & 2 - since they looked totally outdated and really bad compared to the gen 3 and up

I actually think there's no more need for remakes, so I'm not really saying another gen 1 remake is needed either, I simply find it likely to happen, because BW got lots of Kanto references + with how in both games and anime they made it so we see mostly the gen 5 Poké, it wouldn't surprise me if they'll want to "reintroduce" past gens Poké and think that the first gen is a good way to do it
Also, as I said, they let us visit Kanto every gen, so I can see them continuing to do that this time too (though they did prove us we can't predict them and that they don't always follow past traditions)

Another thing I thought about is the that with the whole earthquake/tsunami stuff (that caused the TR/TP eps not to air at all and that fishing eps to be delayed/edited/retconned) maybe they wouldn't want to release games starring Pokémon like Groudon and Kyogre... maybe I'm just exaggerating on this one, but it's something to consider...

TBH, I think all the regions except Johto got a fair level of referencing, IIRC. I maintain that the revisitation of Hoenn is likely for the following reasons: Ghetsis seems like the most likely candidate to force Kyurem to merge with the other dragons, and its not like he wouldn't have motive. His escape from captivity also frees him up to do this, so he has means. Given that he's on the run is unlikely that he'd stay in Unova, so he (and the plot for the new games) would probably be set up in another region.

A new region altogether is unlikely since (as previously stated) that would more or less necessitate a new pokedex, which these games don;t appear to have been in development long enough for that to occur. There was also that tip-off about N travelling towards a new region, which lends support to Ghetsis being in another region ad central to a new plot, since it seems only logical that N would give chase after him. Hoenn I believe is the most likely region since its the least covered.

I agree that Kanto is overdone and I don;t think its a likely candidate as others have pointed out, but nevertheless I personally wouldn't mind seeing it done again - I like seeing how it changes over time and its heavily nostalgic for a vet like me :p

Finally, as a side-note, I'd like to point out that Kanto at least got a graphics upgrade in HGSS, RSE are still stuck with the oldest looks.

Last edited:

Well, this is certainly a big surprise.

So surprising in fact, that I really don't know what to say... other than I may have preferred an actual Gray version instead of two new versions, but hey, looks very interesting. Can't wait to see more info on this.

I think it's much more likely that if another region is in BW2, it'll be Kanto. I still think that the remakes will be of Ruby and Sapphire, of which I have no doubt because it follows the patterns of the last two gens.
Why are people convinced that there have to be remakes in this generation when we've just seen that there doesn't have to be a third version? Last I checked, the third version tradition lasted four generations, where there are only two precedents for remake releases. It baffles my mind that people still cling to these patterns.

I'm pretty sure BW2 is Gen V's version of the third game. It's in the same timeframe and is basically a placeholder and takes the place for the third version. The third version was just split. And RS remakes are probably still on their way. I don't see why not.

So I'm assuming BW2 means two third versions? Makes no sense. Pokemon Black 2 just plain sounds weird to me.

I'm pretty sure BW2 is Gen V's version of the third game. It's in the same timeframe and is basically a placeholder and takes the place for the third version.
A sequel may be an alternative to a third version, but it is certainly not interchangeable with one. They've already confirmed that a new story is involved; it is clear that Game Freak have put more effort into these games than they did on Platinum, for example.

The third version was just split.
That's an unfounded assumption. So far the official sources indicate otherwise.

And RS remakes are probably still on their way. I don't see why not.
Because with the sequels being released for the DS (as soon as this June) and Meloetta and Keldeo being distributed simultaneously, the evidence is piling up in favor of Generation V lasting three years. I don't see any more DS games being released in 2013, and I think that the idea of the first 3DS games being remakes is just silly. Even if Game Freak want to release 3DS remakes eventually, it would make far more sense to do so in the next generation.

Last edited:

Holy crap, i was not expecting this. Great job Game Freak :)

Why are people convinced that there have to be remakes in this generation when we've just seen that there doesn't have to be a third version? Last I checked, the third version tradition lasted four generations, whereas there are only two precedents for remake releases. It baffles my mind that people still cling to these patterns.

With me it's more of feelings it's something that might happen, rather than really wanting it to happen (though I'm not against a remake either, wether it's gen 1 or 3)

TBH, I think all the regions except Johto got a fair level of referencing, IIRC.

...what?
BW is blatantly referencing gen 1 in every possible way - in games, in anime, with the gen's Pokémon themselves.....

I maintain that the revisitation of Hoenn is likely for the following reasons:

Nothing of that really "proved" how Hoenn is more likely...

Finally, as a side-note, I'd like to point out that Kanto at least got a graphics upgrade in HGSS, RSE are still stuck with the oldest looks.

Gen 3 and up all look good enough graphic-wise
It's only gens 1-2 that seriously needed to be remade
So after FRLG+HGSS, as I see it - there's absolutely no need for remakes at all
I'm not against the remakes either and I'd probably enjoy them if they'll be released... but it's just not necessary anymore since gen 3 and up all look good enough, and it'll be ridiculous if they'll continue to remake every gen every time there's a new gen...

Why are people convinced that there have to be remakes in this generation when we've just seen that there doesn't have to be a third version? Last I checked, the third version tradition lasted four generations, where there are only two precedents for remake releases. It baffles my mind that people still cling to these patterns.

I'm pretty sure BW2 is Gen V's version of the third game. It's in the same timeframe and is basically a placeholder and takes the place for the third version. The third version was just split. And RS remakes are probably still on their way. I don't see why not.

I'm not so sure. I was pretty confident in Gray, and even shooting down the "sequel" opinion, and look what happened. The pattern has broken. I don't think there is anything to cling onto for RSEmakes this generation. BW2 doesn't seem to be anything like Emerald of Platinum.

If you go anywhere my bet is Sinnoh. Looker and Cynthia. The 3 dragon orbs. I imagine the game starting with your character flying over to sinnoh. Then at the end you can return to Unova. No that would belittle Unova. Or you play through the original BW story with some added content here and there and at the end you can go fly to SInnoh to finish the games story with N. See how Sinnoh has changed beat 8 more gyms. Or maybe it will be Hoenn and thats how we get the blasted Soul Dew this gen.

I truefully think N went down to Orre. And assumin' that Orre and Unova are on the same continent, we may see some towns/cities in between, and hey, that may mean more gyms. And I think that the game will at least supply ya with a second stage starter (not too overleveled to begin a game, but not level 5), and for research reasons, you had to leave your respective dragon with the Junipers, but you'd probably get it back later on. Orre may just be considered a faraway region because the said inbetween towns/cities are either considered a seperate region or a intercross between them. Orre never appeared on a main game, and this could be an oppritune way to do so.
Hoenn can be for the remake or whatever they plan to do.

...what?
BW is blatantly referencing gen 1 in every possible way - in games, in anime, with the gen's Pokémon themselves.....

Black and White was a sub-reboot of the series, so why wouldn't they reference the first gen?

gen 1 and 2 remakes werent about looks so much as they were about bringing the games to current standards. with the mechanics that gen 1 and 2 lacked. those gens were broken compared to 3 onward. Back in the day type difference hardly mattered. You could fly through with the starter in a day no problem. Fire Red not so much. EV's IV's the physical/special split. Natures and all that good stuff were why Red/green/blue and gold/silver needed remakes. RS would be wise to wait for gen 6 on the 3DS

^Now that you mention it, Gen 6 RS remakes isn't a bad idea. That could finish up this gen quicker and moving to gen 6 sooner. That sounds good to me!

(But I still have a gut feeling about Gen V RS remakes, even though it may be completely wrong)

Black and White was a sub-reboot of the series, so why wouldn't they reference the first gen?

Where exactly did I say they shouldn't reference gen 1?...
I only said that they're clearly doing it - and that it's what made me believe in a Kanto remake/revisit over Hoenn one
Not that I understand why people randomly jumped to conclusions we're going to visit any older region in BW2 - I really think it'll be just Unova a few years after the original BW events...
It might be a sequel and a pair of games rather than the same old one "improved" version - but it's still kind of the "third version" of this gen... while it's certainly going to be much more than past "third version" games, I also doubt it's going to get so far away from BW's main things - like being in Unova, having Juniper as the professor and the Unova starters, etc... the basics of BW will probably stay for BW2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom