• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Black & White VS. Pokemon Black & White 2

Which did you prefer?

• Pokemon Black & White

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Pokemon Black 2 & White 2

Votes: 37 69.8%

• Total voters

Season

Reaction score

6219A.png

Since playing both Pokemon Black & White and Pokemon Black 2 & White, they're both on a linear storyline with similar features, but which of these games did you prefer?

I personally preferred Black & White 2, they did such a great job with these games with the new additions of Gym Leaders, Cities, features etc. I thought the new tweaked storyline involving Team Plasma was very in-depth and the introduction of Colress put a whole new spin on it all, having them branched into two villainous teams with opposing goals made it even more diverse.​

I personally found BW to have a better storyline and to have been made with more thought put into it. I, however found out BW2 more interesting because it was the first sequel, (Not counting Gold and Silver.) had Pokemon from previous regions before beating the champion, and has more features such as the PWT and Poke Star Studios. Overall it was a tough decision but in the end, I voted for BW2.

The BW2 would be better than BW because of extended Unova Dex, plus PokéStar studios, and better Pokémon designs. The protagonists in BW2 (Nate and Rosa) look younger and better than those (Hilbert and Hilda) in BW. More Black gym leaders (I like Marlon's design), cities and better storylines... I voted for BW2 although never played them...

BW2 built on the strong points of BW and added much more. Obviously it's going to be better !
That's not to say bw was bad. I loved that too.

I'm really torn here. I played them both a ton right when I got them, then took a break and only played them sproradically. I think it would have to be B/W 2 just because of the new things they added like the PWT and the movies. The additional legendaries are nice too.

Black and White 2 provided us with so many new features like Challenge Mode and PWT, so it gets my vote. Also I have wanted to catch Regice and Regirock for a while now since R/S/E, so it was a nice surprise.

Black and White did have a better storyline, but I think it's fine they didn't elaborate too much on this in B/W2, as it focuses more so on the fun of the new features, and the fun of Pokemon battles.

B2/W2 were really better. The Black Tower is one of my favorite post-game challenges in the entire series :D I still love B/W too though

I loved the new features in B2W2, and Colress stalking me all around, and the whole new Plasma arc with the concept of two teams divided. AND the Join Avenue.

However, I voted BW for the much better storyline.

Just based on what's important to me and that's the story, I'm gonna have to go with the Original Black and White.

BW had a good storyline, some good new Pokemon, and battles, but other than that it was extremely bland. It sequels, however, actually provided a good aftergame, Pokemon from other regions, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect actually being available, and much more. My vote goes to B2W2.

Definitely B2W2. I liked how it wrapped up the storyline of BW and also how it covered any plotholes. First, I love how they brought back Pokemon from previous generations and how you were able to obtain them before beating them game. At first, I liked how Gen V was supposed to be a "new start" so they only utilized new Pokemon throughout the game but now that I am able to use some old favorites for my playthrough, I actually like how they brought some old stuff back. It's pretty cool how gym leaders, Plasma admins and the Elite Four all use a mix of both new and old Pokemon. And the ones that were in the previous games redesigned their teams by a small amount to include room for old Pokemon. I liked how the legendary that took off with N in the first games was able to be captured by the protagonist in the second games. I also like the playable characters better. Hilbert and Hilda...they look like the result of five seconds of designing and Hilda definitely would get dress-coded at my school (and don't even get me started on the names). Nate and Rose definitely look better with more creative names than before, which isn't saying much, I mean those names are still kinda bleak and unoriginal but still WAY better than Hilbert and Hilda. I like how you are able to battle Plasma admins and N post-game with better Pokemon and I especially like how you can battle Alder's grandson. In the original BW, you were limited to rivals and the Elite Four, not very much. Finally, I like how Ghetsis was portrayed as someone who was descending into madness after repeated failures. His new battle sprite and his new battle music do well to portray that. I did think, though, that he would have a completely different team since in the previous game, the Shadow triad mentioned something about Ghetsis losing everything he had including his Pokemon. Oh well, I still like his team was only redesigned at a minimal amount.

I would say BW in terms of storyline mainly. The story in BW was better than previous games though in BW2, the plot was underhwelming to me than BW was, yes, sure they had old vs new Team Plasma but it didnt feel like as much of a plot. BW felt fresher, with the abscence of older Pokemon pr-E4 and the faraway region, it really felt fresh and new. To me BW2 didnt do this as much, though I loved BW2 a lot, and appreciate that we got a sequel.

I'm torn on this... BW2 has much more content, especially in the postgame. The one thing I like better about BW was where the story climax took place. In BW2 we had to pick up and continue on our journey for a little longer after the main conflict was finished, and BW built everything up right until the credits.

Well, I really REALLY liked Pokemon Black, and I'm currently playing through Pokemon Black 2, and even now it's even, I am just really liking the story content in Pokemon Black 2 so far.

Post game bw2 wins. Story wise I like both. I dont feel 2 let down 1 as a sequel. Thats always hard to do.

Let's see:

Gameplay: B2W2 obviously had the better gameplay.

Music: I am going with B2W2 again, although some tracks were terrible (almost every track from the PWT are good examples) and BW had some gorgeous tracks, like Ghetsis, Bianca/Cheren and both of N's battle themes.

Storyline: BW wins here, these are the games with the best storyline in the Pokémon franchise. B2W2 storyline was okay, but it was just the closure of BW plot.

Characters: I like Hugh, he had an interesting storyline, but he wasn't exactly a good rival. I honestly prefer Bianca and Cheren, the two rivals of BW. I love the development they got through the game. The new GLs of B2W2 are awesome, specially Marlon, but I missed Lenora as one of them... Colress is amazing and I really wish he was in BW. The protagonists were so-so. Rosa is waaaay better than Hilda, but Nate isn't even close to be as awesome as Hilbert was. I guess B2W2 wins here.

Post game: B2W2, of course, since BW had no post game and B2W2 had a lot. Even though part of the post game was boring, like the Pokémon World Tournament. White Treehollow/Black Skyscraper and PokéStar studios were quite fun. Anyway, the thing is, I don't care much about post game that much, I usually only play the main storyline, so...

Dex: I don't care much about older Pokémon being in the dex, but it was certainly nice to have more options to choose, so B2W2 wins here.

Uh, in the end I think B2W2 were better games, but I guess I enjoyed playing BW a bit more. I am gonna vote in BW because personal enjoyment is what really matters in the end.

It's a tough choice indeed. But I think B2W2 are the Serperior games of Gen V. Better characters, better story, better content...

Hmm, well this is a good question, but I personally like B/W2 the best, for PokeStar Studios, more older Pokemon early on, better story, and the better rival. Of course, this is just my opinion.

I don't know if it's really possible to compare Black & White to Black 2 & White 2. It's almost like apples to oranges as both served a different purpose for the series. The former was an attempt at revamping the series while the latter changed the pace and expectancy. I think, though, that based solely upon either's plots, Black 2 & White 2 were the superior games. They did a great job of raising a bar for the series. I also found the variety of Pokemon much more pleasing. I understand Black & White's attempt to create a level playing field for both old and new players, but I often found myself without a lot of options.

But like I said, it's difficult to truly compare the two, and in their own right they were both impressive.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom