• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Blue - personal Missingno notes and observations

ZomgTehRoy

Reaction score
Pokémon Blue - Missingno notes and observations by a weekend warrior
Concerning mainly the attempt towards a distinction of different missingno types, encountered during these two days
Complete with a section of miscellaneous remarks

//

Following conclusions, concerning laws governing a collection of phenomena that are related to the glitch effect that is 'missingno', have been drawn on the basis of repeated experiments and reproducible observations.
Data has been collected and tested on a Pokémon Blue GC cartridge (bought in the year 1999).

------------------------------------------Main

- there are (at least) 4 different types of missingno. These types can be distinguished on the basis of their behaviour, their characteristics and effects.

1. the first type is simply called 'MISSINGNO.' and is a lvl 146 by standard.
It does not summon a ditto after being caught.
It does not raise the possibility of freezing the game when withdrawing it from Bill's pc.
Its level can be raised to 255. I did this through the use of rare candies only
(although I also believe to have come across a unique case where rare candies did not have any effect on the level 146 - when used in battle it raised its level directly to 100 - I was not able to make any further tests because the game freezed because of the lvl 0 "missingno" effect)
The stats of my caught 'MISSINGNO.' at this level (255) are the following:

ATK 719
DEF 30
SPEED 158
Special 66

When given a next candy its level is reset to lvl 05 (although the 5 disappears) - equal to a level 0.
when reset the first type can be raised further - the limit being the standard 100 now.

2. the second type has a glitch name that is shared with type 3 (we will refer to it as ""missingno"").
It distinguishes itself from type 3 through its level (lvl 80) and its characteristics:
After being caught it summons a lvl 80 DITTO (the missingno-sprite vanishes and "missingno"-attacks will still be used during the enemy's turn though - the rest seems the same). When caught it immediately loses a small and constant amount of HP (which can be checked on your teamlist POKéMON).
When you deposit the DITTO on Bill's pc and later choose to withdraw it, it does not further lose any HP - neither will it gain a lvl.
DITTO can be raised to lvl 100 without any special effects.
As for the lvl 80 "missingno" itself:
Like type 1, there is no risk of freezing the game when depositing or withdrawing this type.
Like type 3, when this "missingno" gains a lvl it evolves into KANGASKHAN with the moves of your "missingno" transferred to it (during evolution the sprite of a KANGASKHAN is already displayed).
The KANGASKHAN can be leveled from 81 up to 100, and it also does not raise the risk of freezing the game.

3. the third type is also named "missingo", but it differs from type 2 through its level (lvl 0) and its characteristics:
After being caught it summons a lvl 0 DITTO (the missingno-sprite vanishes and "missingno"-attacks will still be used during the enemy's turn though - the rest seems the same). When caught it does not lose any health.
When you deposit DITTO on Bill's pc and later choose to withdraw it, it gains a lvl (going from 0 to 1) and loses a small constant amount of HP.
DITTO can be raised to lvl 100 without any special effects.
As for the lvl 0 "missingno" itself:
Unlike type 1 and 2, this "missingno" wil freeze your game when you try to withdraw it from Bill's pc. Releasing it into the wild entails no freeze effect.
Like type 3, when this "missingno" gains a lvl it evolves into KANGASKHAN with the moves of your "missingno" transferred to it (during evolution the sprite of a KANGASKHAN is already displayed).
The KANGASKHAN can be leveled from 1 up to 100, and it also does not raise the risk of freezing the game any longer.
(thus one can successfully neutralize the lvl 0 "missingno" in its potential freezing effect by letting it evolve into a harmless KANGASKHAN)
The KANGASKHAN starting from lvl 1 will learn all its non-TM moves. However, it will not possess its "basic moves" (being rage and comet punch).
This is because the lvl 1 KANGASKHAN receives the moves of "missingno"

4. There is a singular(?) 4d type missingno that replaces prof. Oak when one attempts the hidden trainer glitch fused with an already active missingno glitch. Oak is replaced by a lvl 7 missingno that can be caught.
It does not bring forth a DITTO of the same level.
It does not freeze the game when withdrawn from Bill's PC.
It can be raised up to 100 without any special effects.

The 4 types share the same moveset (water gun, water gun, sky attack).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Miscellaneous
Smaller notes, mainly for clearing up details:

- it will suffice to talk to the old man in Viridian one time and then fly immediately to Cinnabar or Fuchsia (to surf along the coastline). After that, you can revisit the site and restart or stop catching missingno-types at random.
Although I have experienced that they stopped appearing after a while, and I have trouble indicating the exact cause of this novelty. Read the second remark here below.

- the infinite glitch is not perfectly infinite. You can still run out of rare candies and pokéballs etc. if you don't meet a new missingno-type in time.
Nevertheless it is true that the glitch multiplies an item to a certain constant amount above 99X
How much exactly depends on 1) the item that is multiplied and 2) the original amount of the item.
Every item seems to have a specific constant amount of multiplying linked to it (no matter what type of missingno you meet). This is the actual constant gain from the glitch. The resulting amount can be predicted by adding the original amount of the item to this constant amount.
For instance, the constant amount of calcium is 127. If I have 1X calcium in slot 6 of my item box, the result will be 128. If I originally have 5X calcium, the result will be 132.
For rare candies the constant amount is 128 (so an original amount of 32 would give a resulting 160), and 128 for master balls.
128 seems to appear more as a constant amount. Perhaps Calcium was 128 as well and I counted wrong? Is there a general constant amount or do they sometimes differ (slightly) by choice of item?
Also: what are the limits to multiplying? When one has a result of 129 for instance, and one would not change this amount (by adding to the amount or diminishing it), the multiplication does not seem to work.
Is it enough to just add or diminish by 1? In other words: can the multiplication go on as long as we vary the result a little each time? Or is there a maximum? Also, is there a minimum of variance of the result required?
I wanted to test this with 228 - 1 = 227 master balls. When I set sail on along the coastline, no more missingno-types would appear. They stopped coming. Was this because I had reached a limit of catching missingno? Was it because of the - 1 variance of my multiplied result?
Changing this variance did not alter the effects. Only after talking to the old man from Viridian City one more time, did I manage to make the missigno reappear.

- the infinite glitch can be activated by "killing", catching or running from any missingno-type.

- the collections of missingno-types remains stable if I stay simply on cinnabar, without much interacting. Despite the fact that Bill's PC as well as my team has been packed with missingno of different kinds.
I noticed, however, this relatively innocent glitch while remaining on the island - an effect that can be easily reproduced at any time, perhaps even without missingno (I have yet to try that, however):
When you come out of the water right next to the gym of Blaine (in such way that you only have to press left to reach his locked door message) the old man (presumably the one on the ground in front of Blaine's gym, not the one from Viridian City) will appear on the roof of Blaine's gym, while the player is standing in front of the door while receiving the message that it is locked. EDIT: but this might very well be not part of the missingno glitch; maybe this effect can be reproduced as well without missingno. I honestly haven't tried it out without missingno.
When I fly to other cities or when I travel through routes, the POKéMON symbols for the missingno change (from small trainers to old grown men, also sometimes insect like wings etc.).
Travelling with my favorite and customized missingno, "Werther", does not seem to effect the virtual time-space, the world and its surroundings, in any remarkable way. It's way more stable than I had anticipated. I haven't noticed anything while travelling with my missingno's through different routes.
I must say that I haven't taken the time to do battle THAT much - but I already had tried out a few fights with trainers and gym leaders on thursday, before starting these observations during the weekend.
After a few battles, sprites start to deform and fragmentate. They also change their "perspective" from looking left (towards my trainer and its pokémon) to right (away from my trainer and its pokémon).
The sprite of missingno can change during battle in its glitchy details. Sometimes it becomes more even, sometimes more chaotic. Some people see faces appear, but this is probably just seeing-in belief and illusion.

- No save files have been deleted, despite many sites claiming that missingno will damage save files. All I can say is that I have experienced none of it during my weekend, while making these observations; my save file has remained intact, even after a "lvl O missingno freeze effect", meaning this: I just turn my gameboy off and on, and the save file is still there, unharmed.

- An old internet story suggests that releasing a missingno into the wild will make all hell break loose. I released all my PC-missingno (a collection which had well accumulated over these past hours) at once and nothing happened when I went outside to look around and check on the world. Nothing was to be seen.
Among the released missingno all types were well represented. I haven't tried releasing the 4d type (the prof. Oak missingno) though. And I'm not planning to release my missingno "Werther" either - as long as nothing goes haywire, I prefer to keep my friend.

---------------------------------------

The above comes from a notepad I kept during this weekend. I've come to post these notes and observations on this forum in the form of a thread because I was wondering if anyone connected to Bulbapedia (be it editors, just users or people interested in missingno or the world of generation 1 in general) would benefit from this information. Perhaps certain people will be stimulated to share their own experiences and observations, and we will all benefit. Discussions concerning the information and the general topic are all welcome as well. Although I cannot promise to oversee the resulting conversations - my intention is mainly sharing information and kickstarting a thread. I will probably occupy myself with other things in the future. It was a fun little experiment though, and I appreciate your attention and opinions.

Cheers everyone

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom