• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Boss Battle Stories and Discussion

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
What are your boss battle stories in pokemon? Tough time against Whitney? Cynthia too easy? Red absolutely impossible? Toss your stories here. Talk about your favorite bosses and what you think of them, how you would change them. Whatever you want about the bosses of pokemon.

Anyways now that the intro is done. Back when I was playing White 2, I had my team perfectly happy. Serperior, Arcanine, Braviary, Virizion, and N's Zoraork. And then I realized I needed a pokemon for surf. So I went back and caught an azurill, evolved her into a male Azumarill. Kind of just had it there. And then when facing Iris, that pokemon I caught not to care for, ended up handling Iris wonderfully, and being the main reason I won against her. That little Azurill basically took her one single handedly.

ARGH Morty. My first playthrough I had ZERO checks for Ghosts. I hadn't levelled properly, and it was a trainwreck. Eventually I managed to evolve Eevee into Umbreon. That simplified things just a tad.

Back during Gen 3, I really struggled against Drake, and I think Steven too if I remember right. I kinda struggled against Cynthia, but not as bad because I had finally gotten used to using type advantages/disadvantages properly. Ever since, it's been a total breeze except for maybe Ghetsis' battle in BW. But then...

... them damn Totem Pokemon. And Ultra Necrozma.

And RR Giovanni damn near destroyed me with his Mega Mewtwo X MY POOR PRIMARINA HELD ON WITH 5 HP AND SHE WAS ALL I HAD LEFT OF MY TEAM.

Ok now...

- Misty (Gen I): I chose Charmander, had no counter for water types, and I had underlevelled my other Pokémon in favour of that Charmander. Misty kicked my ass. First time I actually had to go level up against wild Pokémon in the grass and then come back to a gym.

- Whitney (GSC): Super annoying with that Miltank. Nuff said.

- Champion Wallace (Emerald). Quite tough, due to using evasion and recovery moves well.

- Brandon: you know how hard it is to get to that asshole, and beat him without healing up on the summit of the pyramid? I beat him, and I don't know how I did it...

- Cynthia (Platinum): the toughest battle I have ever had in-game. I was only able to win because I was playing an emulator, so I would just save after hitting a critical hit or the opposite Pokémon missed a hit. Absolute hardest battle ever.

- Cheren (BW2): His Lillipup kept landing crits on my team... I had to try like 4 times until beating him. Interestingly, I am replaying BW2 now and I beat him straight away.

That's basically it.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, my first boss battle was Brock in Yellow, and it was hell for obvious reasons. I think I had to grind with Butterfree quite a bit.

Brock in Red. I didn't comprehend type matchups, and tried to do everything with Charmander and Pikachu (What do you mean Thundershock doesn't affect Onix?!)

I had a lot of similar problems that other people have posted.

Yellow - My second Pokemon game.
Brock: I was very young and had Pikachu fail on me so I grabbed a Butterfree and overleveled it and Pikachu to beat him.
Blue: I can't remember completely, but I do know that I struggled or lost to him on the cruise ship. I just changed up strategy on my second run and beat him.

Gold - My first Pokemon game
Whitney: Destroyed me like what has happened to so many others. I ended up grinding until my Quilava could beat her.
Clair: Lost to her several times so I ended up getting an ice type to beat her. Kingdra could easily beat Typhlosion from a terrible type match up.
Rival before Elite Four: I lost here not expecting him to show up.
The Elite Four in general: I had to grind a lot to get past them. I lost many times.

Pearl - I didn't lose anything major until this point. Gen 3 was super easy.
Cynthia: Her team is ridiculously well balanced and that Garchomp is insane! Did not see that coming. Complete travesty after so many easier battles since Gold version.

After this point I understood type matchups and strategy well enough that I didn't have any problems until recently. Black 2 was more difficult overall, but I didn't have any crazy losses. I missed B/W versions though :( so I don't know how they fared.

Sun - Even though I knew what was coming to an extent.
Totem Lurantis: I actually lost to this thing. I was shocked that my adult brain couldn't deal with this challenge. Good job Gamefreak. Some of the other Totem battles were pretty gnarly, but nothing was as bad as Lurantis.

Ultra Sun -
Ultra Necrozma: I beat this thing in one move. I love dragons so I always have one. I could see that this fight might have been difficult if you had the wrong types going into it though. That level scaling was intense!

My first challenge came from Brock, in Yellow. It was my first Pokemon game, and I had to ask my brother for help. He told me to train my Pidgey until it evolved, and then use it to beat Brock. In retrospect, he was either really bad at the game, or was intentionally messing with me. But that Pidgeotto won me the battle, and I went through the whole game with just that overleveled bird.

I have had alot of boss battle stories. The one that stands out to me the most was when I battled Chapmion Lance from the Johto region. Lance was challenging for me and I remember I defeated him using only one Pokemon.

My most memorable one is from the time I beat Emerald.

If I recall my team correctly (well, most of it anyway) there was:
- Sceptile
- Manectric
- Absol
- Shedinja
- a scrappy Taillow or something I still had in training

On to the champion, I'm virtually out of heals and I only have those top three Pokemon still standing, everyone else is down (save for the trainee, who wouldn't be any good in this fight anyway). But Absol is extremely lucky to dodge two Blizzards from the champ's opening Pokemon, and after a few Swords Dance buffs ruthlessly SWEEPS his first three Pokemon off the field. Whiscash survived but Sceptile mopped him up, only to have some trouble with Milotic's Ice attacks, so Manectric comes in to sweep that one up. Last is his Gyarados, but Manectric outspeeds him for the win.

The best part was that had Shedinja still been able to fight by then, it would have been immune to 4 of the champ's Pokemon and I could have won for sure.

My Gen 6 champion match was also epic, it went down to our last Pokemon on both sides - my Mega Lucario (not Korrina's Lucario, sorry) versus her Mega Gardevoir.

Gen 7 champion match didn't disappoint, either, although I did have to fall back on Nebby just a little because my other team members seemed to be lagging in overall strength.

One of my favorite memories is earning the Silver Battle Pike Symbol in Emerald.

6eFPW1m.png

By the time I got to Lucy here, two of my 3 Pokemon were already worn down from previous battles and random status inflictions. My party was Swampert, Aggron and Gardevoir, and only Gardevoir was fully prepared to fight. Seviper with its Giga Drain dealt with what little stamina Swampert and Aggron still had left. With them out of the game, it was entirely up to Gardevoir to win it...

Psychic makes handy work of Seviper, no problem. But things really get intense with that Shuckle. Between Sandstorm and Toxic stalling, this was now a race against the clock...The flip-side is that Synchronize meant Shuckle was going down too. Now, knowing that Shuckle can't actually fight, and that Lucy still has Milotic in the back, I spent the next 5 or so turns desperately stockpiling Calm Minds...Hoping that we could get enough boosts to take down both Shuckle and Milotic in one shot. All the while Sandstorm and Toxic slowly drained Gardevoir's health...And this was probably the most gripping handful turns that I've ever experienced in playing these games. It was a tight waiting game and the end was uncertain...

Once Shuckle was around low Yellow, we managed to take it down with Psychic. And with a mere 8 HP to spare on our end, Gardevoir landed a critical hit with Thunderbolt against Milotic to seal the win...

b5e4735fc4874e93040df319b040da01.jpg

They don't call it the Luck Symbol for nothing.

Last edited:
In Red Version: Picked Squirtle after I was unable to find a way to get through Brock with a Charmander. Kept dying to Misty's Starmie. Really hated it. I think my Wartortle was overleveled by the time I defeated her.

Last edited:
The only ones I've really struggled with were Tate and Liza in Emerald, followed by Wallace in that same game. Both of them were massive problems since I didn't have much in the way of super effective options against their specialities.

Against everything else... not so much, if I'll be honest. I've always found Whitney outright undeserving of her fearsome reputation. As for the legit challenges, Cynthia's normally formidable Garchomp fell to my burned Marvel Scale Milotic's Dragon Pulse without a win, while Ultra Necrozma lost to my Primarina 1v1 with a combination of a Kee Berry, Wonder Room, and Amnesia, followed by an X Sp.Atk boosted Moonblast.

See, because both Garchomp and Necrozma go full offense on your quivering teams with their movesets, what can they really do beyond lucky crits when someone decides to play a sufficiently strong defensive game? I maintain that the Necrozma battle would have felt more challenging and climatic if it had one of Morning Sun/Moonlight over Power Gem or Smart Strike.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom