• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

If there ever is a "Platinim Episode," whatever content it has, I hope to Arceus it is indeed a post game thing and not locked behind DLC like so many people have speculated. Anything added that is Platinum-based should be part of the game already.
Well, I think DLC is only made for brand new games like SwSh. Therefore, I don't think BDSP will be getting DLC, because remakes are already considered a "complete game" from the start.

We only have 1 precedent sofar which is LGPE, and it didn't get any DLC. So I expect the same treatment for BDSP, and all future remakes on the Switch.

Last edited:
It seems to be inspired by Camp, but it's not exactly the same. This will be the first time in a Pokemon game (not including spin-offs like Ranger) that you can actually run around with your whole party.
Exactly. I would actually consider it a notable step up from Camp due to the player character actually being physically present to interact with their entire party on screen, for the first time in a mainland Pokémon game (sorry Cameron, your photos don't count). Granted, it is only doable in a restricted area, but here's hoping they make it available through normal travel (or in at least more areas) like in Sword & Shield going forward.

If there ever is a "Platinim Episode," whatever content it has, I hope to Arceus it is indeed a post game thing and not locked behind DLC like so many people have speculated. Anything added that is Platinum-based should be part of the game already.
Given that the Pal Park looks different than it did in Generation IV on the big map we got, I have a feeling something will at least happen there.

The Dexit controversy would actually look worse if they don't bring the National Dex back to Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. Because people would keep begging to get it back in the next generation. If the National Dex was dropped from Sword and Shield but returns in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, I think it would be justified by the way most of Pokémon returned in the Galar DLC that the work on new models was cut out for the Sinnoh remakes.

Yeah but it won't come back, cuz ILCA makes the games (And are game design Rookies) and not Gamefreak and considering we have Walking Pokemon, they need to make animations for all of the Pokemon in that case.

Exactly. I would actually consider it a notable step up from Camp due to the player character actually being physically present to interact with their entire party on screen, for the first time in a mainland Pokémon game (sorry Cameron, your photos don't count). Granted, it is only doable in a restricted area, but here's hoping they make it available through normal travel (or in at least more areas) like in Sword & Shield going forward.

Yeah, running around with your Pokemon actually looks more fun than what you're able to do with them in Camp. I find it exciting how following Pokemon are becoming a more regular occurance - might we eventually see the feature become a series staple?

Yeah, running around with your Pokemon actually looks more fun than what you're able to do with them in Camp. I find it exciting how following Pokemon are becoming a more regular occurance - might we eventually see the feature become a series staple?
I hope so! I was going to say that myself, but then remembered they took the feature away after HGSS, even though sprites were still used for Unova. So, I don't know - they're all over the place with mechanics in several regards.

I hope so! I was going to say that myself, but then remembered they took the feature away after HGSS, even though sprites were still used for Unova. So, I don't know - they're all over the place with mechanics in several regards.
I was gonna say "to be fair, Gen 5's overworld style was different from Gen 4's", but I compared Pikachu in both styles, and Pikachu certainly doesn't seem to have been adjusted that much:
1633667437012.png

(Gen 4 on the left, Gen 5 on the right-differences are just a bit of coloring in the tail and cheeks, as far as I can see)

I guess I can still see the concern- just because Pikachu translated fine doesn't mean all Pokemon OWs would- but it's still kind of surprising to me. At least models have a better chance of being used, since they're already used in so many other scenes.

They do seem to be a bit more consistent with keeping certain mechanics in future games lately. They've mentioned not keeping certain features in the next games to make the games more "unique" but recently they've found ways to rebrand certain mechanics as something different and give them a bit of regional flavor so that we have the same functionality but it's executed slightly differently each time. Examples:

Burst mechanics (Megas in XY and ORAS, Z-Moves in SM, Megas again in LGPE, Dynamax in SwSh)
Pet sims (Amie in XY and ORAS, Refresh in SM, Camp in SwSh, Amity Square in BDSP)
Field moves (HMS in Gens 1-6, Poke Ride in SM, Secret Techniques in LGPE, Corviknight Taxi/Rotom Bike in SwSh, HM app in BDSP, an unnamed Ride equivalent in LA)

Now following has also been consistently in the games since its return in LGPE (albeit with a short hiatus in SwSh, but it returned in the DLC). Between its relatively consistent inclusion and fans being vocal about having it, I think it's here to stay.

I was gonna say "to be fair, Gen 5's overworld style was different from Gen 4's", but I compared Pikachu in both styles, and Pikachu certainly doesn't seem to have been adjusted that much:
View attachment 150944
(Gen 4 on the left, Gen 5 on the right-differences are just a bit of coloring in the tail and cheeks, as far as I can see)

I guess I can still see the concern- just because Pikachu translated fine doesn't mean all Pokemon OWs would- but it's still kind of surprising to me. At least models have a better chance of being used, since they're already used in so many other scenes.
They look the same to me...

The TM being single-use again for these games is kind of a bummer it was nice not having to carry around multiple copies of a particular TM. Although I'm sure that they'll be reusable again when they get around to remaking Gen 5.

As long as the TMs are renewable, I don’t really mind them being one-use. The shitty part of TMs in the old days was in only ever getting to teach Earthquake to a single Pokémon that wasn’t able to learn it naturally. As long as that’s not a problem, I actually kind of prefer breakability - it still retains some semblance of having to make a strategic choice about who to teach what, instead of being able to kit out your whole team with excellent moves all at once for no cost.

I’m disappointed that according to some reviews, Secret Bases really are just for statue displays, but I can’t say I didn’t see that coming. I also saw one review state that Amity Square only allows you to walk around with “cute” Pokémon, but they still didn’t really elaborate on the specifics of that.

In any case, these games are pretty much exactly what they say on the tin, so make your decisions accordingly.

Last edited:
Of all things to bring back, they bring back single-use TMs?

I mean, I guess as long as they're easy-ish to get and you can get as many of each as you need like TRs I'll be okay with it, just kinda surprised.

The EXP share and portable PC was always gonna be in this game. I had no doubt or concerns about that.

I also saw someone say that the Amity Square feature really is still limited to certain Pokemon, disappointing if true. I'm still catching up on all the preview material. So far the TM part is the only big surprise.

I didn't realize that TMs were back to being single use. That is a bit of an odd choice given that they're bringing in some modern Quality of Life improvements. I guess it's a moot point when they said that there will be opportunities to get more. If they're as easy to collect as the TRs in Sword/Shield, then it should be fine.

I'm really disappointed with Amity Square limiting what Pokemon you can take with you to just specific cute Pokemon. I was so looking forward to walking around with my teams there. It does match with the original games, but considering that they would have all Pokemon with walking animations this time around, it seems like an odd limitation to keep in place. At least we can still walk around with our Pokemon.

I'm actually glad that we have the Experience Share All. I know that some fans don't really like the feature, but it makes the game much less grind heavy, especially for any new team members you get late in the game. I don't really use the whole taking Pokemon out of storage too often, but it is a handy feature too. Super Contests seem like fun and the Secret Bases are pretty cool too. I'm not too surprised that Poffin making is a single player experience, but I am a bit surprised that they don't have the capture the flag mini game for Secret Bases. I thought that would be relatively easy to keep with the online features of the Switch. Aside from Amity Square, I'm pretty much fine with this information. I just hope that we'll get something like Mints to change our Pokemon's nature since I loved that feature in Sword/Shield. That probably wouldn't come up until late in the game or during the post-storyline though.

Damn, TMs are single-use again. That's bit of a bummer. But hopefully you can gain multiples as easily as TRs in Sword/Shield, unlike when they were largely one-per-file in the past. If that's the case, then fine, I can live with it. Still not super happy about it but it is what it is.

So, Amity Square is still restricted to select Mons, eh? Well, whatever, not a big deal to me. At least your starter counts as one of those Mons so you don't need to worry too much. Still feels like a waste but at least you only need to go in there once in order to get the walking Mon feature for the main game for those who want it. I only really go into Amity Square in Platinum to get the items like the Amulet Coin and find the guy who gives you daily berries, so it's not a huge loss to me.

I know people aren't happy about the auto EXP Share thing but I'm glad it's back. Gen 4 was notorious for being grind-heavy so this'll cut down on the need to grind significantly, especially for late game Mons. I'm perfectly happy with that. Sure, maybe having the ability to turn it on and off would be nice but the less grinding I have to do the happier I'll be. At least I don't think EXP Candies are in these game, which utterly broke Sword/Shield to itty-bitty pieces, so that should help keep the difficulty of these games more balanced.

TMs being single use again is quite a bit of a shock, not just because these are the first remakes since the introduction of infinite-use TMs that actually went back to the single-use versions, but also because other QOL features from modern games, most notably the HM removal, were kept. It's quite a bizarre choice. Granted, as long as the TMs can be obtained multiples of as easily as TRs are in SWSH it won't be much of an issue, but I admit that part of me is really scared about the prize TMs given by Gym Leaders possibly being exceptions to the rule (until presumably the postgame).

And Amity Square still limits which Pokemon are considered cute? Blegh. Oh well, at least it does seem to have expanded its roster even beyond the Platinum one: notably, this poster implies that Eevee will be added to the roster of eligible Pokemon to take out for a stroll, and I really hope it means there's gonna be more additions beyond it. At the very least, I feel like every Baby Pokemon (or at least every Baby Pokemon available in the DPP Dex) should be eligible for Amity Square. Not just because the entire point of Baby Pokemon is that they're supposed to be all cutesy, but because it'd help them evolve quicker: almost all Baby Pokemon evolve via high friendship, so being able to take them out for a walk in an exclusive area where you presumably increase friendship via walking around and Poffin-making would be extremely practical. Also, it still wouldn't make sense to me for Clefairy and Pikachu to be considered cute but not their smaller and chibi-er pre-evolutions.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom