• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

XD is also not a main series game and not made by Game Freak, it's more mature than most Pokemon games.
Yeah, I almost wrote that it wasn't a main series game, BTW you're just adding fuel to my fire that maybe it's time Game Freak stepped down and let somebody else handle the Pokemon games for good. I mean just look at the at the aforementioned XD and Colosseum as examples. They were much better (or maybe just tougher?) games than anything we've gotten from Pokemon in quite some time.

Yeah, I almost wrote that it wasn't a main series game, BTW you're just adding fuel to my fire that maybe it's time Game Freak stepped down and let somebody else handle the Pokemon games for good. I mean just look at the at the aforementioned XD and Colosseum as examples. They were much better (or maybe just tougher?) games than anything we've gotten from Pokemon in quite some time.

Unfortunately the main series games have sold 10 times as much as Colosseum and XD, so there's no incentive for them to do so. They care about game sales first and foremost, not quality. Why do you think there's so many F2P mobile games now?

At any rate, this is off topic. BDSP are most certainly not taking any influence from Colosseum and XD.

I like the cutscene that plays, but I do agree that having eggs not take up a party slot would be nice. That would be a little confusing with where the Pokémon would go, though. Like, hatched Pokémon could theoretically go to the box, but what if your box is full?
I'm thinking something like a hatchery box and once an egg hatches, the pokemon is moved to PC boxes unless they're full in which case it stays in the hatchery box until space is made.

Unfortunately the main series games have sold 10 times as much as Colosseum and XD, so there's no incentive for them to do so. They care about game sales first and foremost, not quality. Why do you think there's so many F2P mobile games now?

At any rate, this is off topic. BDSP are most certainly not taking any influence from Colosseum and XD.
Sorry if I went off topic with that, but I sadly have to admit that you're right. That's kind of sad, though, they should care about the quality of the game first, not how much it sells. Well, I certainly won't be playing any of the F2P mobile games, not just from a general lack of interest, but also my lack of a cell phone. So I'll be sticking to traditional games for now, thanks.

I know that BDSP won't be taking any influence from the Gamecube titles, but I wish one of the Pokemon games that they make one will again, because they were underrated gems. (And one of them was my first ever Pokemon game, BTW.) (It's Colosseum.)

That aside, and getting back on topic, I like how walking Pokemon make a return (didn't like how Isle of Armor handled it and I never finished Let's Go,) so I'm glad to see it in a style closer to HG/SS. I don't like how permanent Exp. Share is back again, I think it makes an already not-that-hard franchise even easier by allowing overleveling for not just one Pokemon, but your entire party, making one of the easiest RPG franchises basically a cakewalk. And I know the original Pearl was tougher without the Exp. Share always on, because I just nearly got through an entire playthrough of Pearl (admittedly a fake copy I bought on Ebay without realizing that fact,) getting almost to Sunyshore City. And let me tell you, it's not crazy hard, but some of the Gym Leaders do give you a run for your money (namely Maylene's Lucario and Fantina's Mismagius.) I beat the latter with my Prinplup, who survived a Shadow Ball or Magical Leaf by sheer luck, (I think Prinplup had 1 HP left) and then defeated Mismagius with a Torrent boosted Bubblebeam. So, needless to say, it was pretty hard, because I think Prinplup was my last Pokemon to boot. I only hope these remakes aren't too easy with the permanent Exp. Share added in, because I would like to see some difficulty in them that poses something of a challenge (particularly with the you-know-who battle.)

Edit: this would be my theory. I just rewatched the last trailer and I noticed that they show the player feeding a buneary a 'cute' poffin immediately before showing the Amity Square section. I wonder if the trailer is implying this is how "cute" is determined this time around.

That would be interesting. Hypothetically it could be that the original "cute" roster is naturally allowed in, but boosting the cuteness contest stat would allow any Pokemon in. But at the same time, I feel like this could only work if there was a way to remove the stats, since it would be annoying if you want to use the Pokemon for any contest category other than cute but had to use poffins to boost cuteness just to get into Amity Square.

I am aware that there are people who don't like that you can't turn off the EXP. Share. Here's an idea: You don't HAVE to win every fight. I'm sure there will be trainers that you can skip. I don't really care as much.
You do have to win every fight, though, that's how Pokemon games progress. There's the occasional
Also, I think Game Freak is doing this because they want kids to be able to have. Not everyone plays games for the challenge.
The discussion's not about including the Exp All, which most people think is a good thing, but having the ability to toggle it on and off, so that players who want to play without it can do so. People could still have the benefits of the Exp All even if there was the option to turn it off.
Since we've been on the topic of controversial grind reducing QoL changes heres one I want:
Make eggs a key item and let me hatch more than 5 at once. Don't even make me watch the cut scene just give me the "oh" notification and I check and theres the mon.
I think the party slot requirement is interesting for like, the first egg the player gets and then never again lol. Like at first it's like "Oh, do I want to have a restricted party while I try to get this rare Pokemon?" and then after that it's just a huge hassle.

I don't think it'd really be possible to have each egg a key item- the data structure for items probably doesn't have all the fields for a Pokemon, like moves, nature, ability slot, etc. I like Puddle's idea of adding in incubators a lot, though.
That's probably for a reason. It's a kid friendly game so they don't want to show a chemical plant because of pollution implications. The only way they would do that is if the evil team was running the chemical plant and we go in there to shut it down. It won't happen in this game, I can pretty much guarantee you that.
I don't think not wanting to portray pollution in a positive light is a matter of being kid-friendly? It's not like alcohol or anything that you could portray in adult media as "acceptable if done responsibly".

I don't think not wanting to portray pollution in a positive light is a matter of being kid-friendly? It's not like alcohol or anything that you could portray in adult media as "acceptable if done responsibly".

I mean if you're including a chemical plant area in the region, and it's a sanctioned facility instead of a covert operation illegally performed by the evil team, that is implicitly portraying pollution in a positive light. Then that's saying that the region's leaders and role models are permitting it, and that's something that could ruin children's innocence. Hence why if they're ever going to do one, it'll be run by an evil team. But I suspect they'll largely avoid the issue altogether. And it's definitely not going to happen in a faithful remake.

Wasn't there that 'pond' in Celadon that was polluted and you could catch grimer, and then in Let's Go they talked about it being cleaned up or something? I can't be bothered to verify, but there does some to be a trend to portray the Pokemon universe as this idyllic universe where such things aren't really a problem anymore (one of the reasons that SwSh's story didn't hit quite right with me, but I digress). Then again, I think Alolan Muk were used to clean up pollution? So it does exist, but it's not an issue.

I think Sinnoh takes this to the extreme in some ways. It explicitly depicts both wind and solar power at work in the region in a very romanticized way. The region has undergone extensive mining, but the games do not show any significant impact to the natural environment (as opposed to Twist Mountain). Instead, there's just a massive and borderline magical underground cave system. And unlike previous Safari Zones, the Great Marsh feels more like a natural perserve than an area where they imported invasive Pokemon. Then there's seabreak path and flower paradise which straight up feel out of a fairy tale. Sinnoh just seems like it is the most perfect region we've had so far.

I meant with wild Pokémon and trainers that you can just walk past.
Ah, shoot, forgot to finish that part of my post- what I meant to write was that there's the occasional trainer you can pass, and you can flee from pretty much all wild Pokemon, but those are rarely enough to make a substantial difference in the level curve- most of the trainer battles in the games can't be avoided. The difference between underleveled and overleveled isn't going to depend on whether or not you fought Lass Anna on Route 8.
I mean if you're including a chemical plant area in the region, and it's a sanctioned facility instead of a covert operation illegally performed by the evil team, that is implicitly portraying pollution in a positive light. Then that's saying that the region's leaders and role models are permitting it,
Pokemon's government has never really been examined in full- when there's not even any leaders to point to, I think it's a pretty big jump to say that a chemical plant must have been approved by a character that kids will view as completely good. Most kids are aware there's companies polluting in their country, even though they don't want that happening- I think they could imagine the same happening in the Pokemon world. If anything, I'd be more worried about a Pokemon like Grimer, whose dex entries describe it as a result of pollution, but for all purposes is just another cute pet you can have in the world. (Although they seem to be correcting that with regional variants like A-Muk and G-Weezing)

This is really besides the point I was making, though- I'm just saying that Pokemon would be portraying pollution as a negative thing regardless of its target demographic. There are some subjects that have different approaches in children's media vs adult media- like my earlier example, a children's show would usually completely stay away from alcohol, or talk about how underaged drinking is bad, but an adult show could show its characters drinking or portray the hazards of alcoholism. But there's no "responsible pollution" or any way to spin pollution as acceptable- the best it can get is a "necessary evil".
and that's something that could ruin children's innocence
I think that's a little extreme.

Ah, shoot, forgot to finish that part of my post- what I meant to write was that there's the occasional trainer you can pass, and you can flee from pretty much all wild Pokemon, but those are rarely enough to make a substantial difference in the level curve- most of the trainer battles in the games can't be avoided. The difference between underleveled and overleveled isn't going to depend on whether or not you fought Lass Anna on Route 8.
True.

Exactly one month left until release.
I will buy something that is called Adventskalender in german. It's basically something you buy for children and it works kinda like a countdown til christmas eve (in Germany you get presents at christmas eve already). It is numbered from 1 to 24 and it contains a piece of chocolate (usually, but there are all kinds of stuff nowadays, like Lego, or pokemon trading cards for example) for each day. I'll use it as a countdown for the release date instead.

I will buy something that is called Adventskalender in german. It's basically something you buy for children and it works kinda like a countdown til christmas eve (in Germany you get presents at christmas eve already). It is numbered from 1 to 24 and it contains a piece of chocolate (usually, but there are all kinds of stuff nowadays, like Lego, or pokemon trading cards for example) for each day. I'll use it as a countdown for the release date instead.
We have all of those here in Finland too. Including the fact that we open our Christmas presents at the Christmas Eve. Nice idea to count down.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom