• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Greninjaman

Ninja Assassin Frog
Reaction score
Pronouns
Him/He
Ah, shoot, forgot to finish that part of my post- what I meant to write was that there's the occasional trainer you can pass, and you can flee from pretty much all wild Pokemon, but those are rarely enough to make a substantial difference in the level curve- most of the trainer battles in the games can't be avoided. The difference between underleveled and overleveled isn't going to depend on whether or not you fought Lass Anna on Route 8.
True.

RavenRaziel98

Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him/his
Exactly one month left until release.
I will buy something that is called Adventskalender in german. It's basically something you buy for children and it works kinda like a countdown til christmas eve (in Germany you get presents at christmas eve already). It is numbered from 1 to 24 and it contains a piece of chocolate (usually, but there are all kinds of stuff nowadays, like Lego, or pokemon trading cards for example) for each day. I'll use it as a countdown for the release date instead.

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I will buy something that is called Adventskalender in german. It's basically something you buy for children and it works kinda like a countdown til christmas eve (in Germany you get presents at christmas eve already). It is numbered from 1 to 24 and it contains a piece of chocolate (usually, but there are all kinds of stuff nowadays, like Lego, or pokemon trading cards for example) for each day. I'll use it as a countdown for the release date instead.
We have all of those here in Finland too. Including the fact that we open our Christmas presents at the Christmas Eve. Nice idea to count down.

KirbyBulba737

Unova Confirmed!
Reaction score
We those in Italy too, and we call it: "calendario dell'avvento" in English: "Advent Calendar"

Puddle

Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him
I've seen a few news outlets claiming that BDSP will have "placeholder music" which requires a patch on release day. Personally though, I believe the MIDI-like soundtrack is an artistic choice designed to replicate the feel of the original games, much like the chibi art style.

BigBadButterfree

Professionally Befuddled
Reaction score
I've seen a few news outlets claiming that BDSP will have "placeholder music" which requires a patch on release day. Personally though, I believe the MIDI-like soundtrack is an artistic choice designed to replicate the feel of the original games, much like the chibi art style.
Honestly, I hope they update the midi. Midi comes in all kinds of sounds, realistic and not. Game Freak has always used midi. It doesn't surprise me. But if they can't update the gen 4 soundtrack to use DECENT midi, I will frankly be disappointed. The OST from DPPt is one of my favorites, and it's only hindered by the garbage DS-quality midi. I wanna hear Cynthia's theme on the most realistic piano they can find. I want to hear the difference between the strings and the voices in the Old Chateau.

One complaint I have though, when they update midi for a remake, they tend to worsen it, so I'm worried. I'm looking at ORAS specifically. Everything good about the original is washed out by their new midi. They honestly should've just rearranged everything for their new sound library. The active basslines and intricate countermelodies are completely washed out by the balance of the new midi used. I do NOT want that to happen to my beloved Sinnoh soundtrack.

Edit: should be noted, I have not (and probably won't) checked out the demo in question, I'd rather experience the music for myself in the full game.

Alola

UltraMysteryDungeon, when?
Reaction score
I saw the recent playthrough footage released last week and I'm quite disappointed the EXP All feature still seems ingrained in the gameplay; I'm really hoping they go back to the Gen 6 & 7 method of letting that be optional. Why, Game Freak? There is literally no reason not to have it as an optional feature - not everyone wants an overleveled party for a game not scaled for such gains; or blanket EV distribution for that matter. Having a toggle literally satisfies every player.

ChocolatePenguin

Reaction score
How is this worse than any other RPG, at least any RPG that has a party? Every time you win a battle, your whole team gets experience unless they were defeated.

Greninjaman

Ninja Assassin Frog
Reaction score
Pronouns
Him/He
because in most RPGs the whole party fights, not only one at a time.
That might be the main issue/complaint! It's one on one battles, unlike in games like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, where (as you said) the entire party battles the monsters together.

Nodqfan

Veteran Trainer
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah, I almost wrote that it wasn't a main series game, BTW you're just adding fuel to my fire that maybe it's time Game Freak stepped down and let somebody else handle the Pokemon games for good. I mean just look at the at the aforementioned XD and Colosseum as examples. They were much better (or maybe just tougher?) games than anything we've gotten from Pokemon in quite some time.

I don't ever see Game Freak stepping down as developer of the main series of Pokemon games if the BDSP remakes are successful. I could see them handing off the development of remakes to other studios while they focus on games like Legends Arceus and other new mainline Pokemon games to keep the series fresh.

Really unless Nintendo decides to buy Game Freak and their stake in the Pokemon Company I see them being involved with Pokemon in one form or another for a long time to come. and there's almost no chance that Satoshi Tajiri will ever sell.

Alola

UltraMysteryDungeon, when?
Reaction score
Wow, so I completely missed all the news last week:
  • Going back to limited TMs is interesting. I won't mind if they are truly as plentiful as claimed to be. But if they aren't, that's really a two-step forward one-step back decision. But what else is Pokémon known for, really... That being said, it does make sense if Game Freak is trying to establish a reward for Trainers to work towards in-game, to increase replayability etc. 100% sure it's going to be tied to the Underground for additional TM copies; as long as they don't require BP through the Battle Tower, I'll be good.
  • Amity Square is restricted to "cute" Pokémon after all? Really? Honestly there is nothing to say aside from this being a stupid and lazy decision - y'all have the models, and even an enclosed space to use them for. But even that was too much. It's also quite the subjective take that you would think they would account for regardless of "nostalgia."
  • The midi-style tracks don't sound bad, but I did expect something grander for the Sinnoh remakes music-wise, akin to what ORAS did with their lovely tracks.
  • I've noticed that some people are happy for the EXP All to be back, with their argument being for grinding up new team members. However, wouldn't using EXP Candy achieve the same effect for you with even less time? I would think there would be more explicit interest and inquiries into the candies coming back if grinding is that off-putting for players.
  • Badge shining returning is appreciated.
  • No National Pokedex again.
I don't know. Some of these changes, yet juxtaposition of current QoL updates, are making for an oddly-made game feature-wise. Is it a 1:1 remake? An enhanced remake? What's the angle, haha.