• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

JFrombaugh

Reaction score
I've been following the leaks on Centro, and while I won't post specific spoilers on here since it isn't the right thread, I'm having a mixed feeling about BDSP.

While I'm still preordering the games out of sentimentality, and am very much looking forward to finally getting to replay Gen IV on the big screen, I do have to agree that I'm hit by a big feeling of "what could have been" and that for all the new stuff with the expanded Underground, there's a surprising amount of content from Platinum that seems to be cut, and a lot of features that I thought would make it in that apparently didn't. All the stuff I've been reading about how the games were apparently rushed to get them ready by November 19 is not encouraging, either.

If it wasn't for the fact that we've got Legends coming out in 2.5 months, there's no doubt I would be a lot more disappointed.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I don’t really mean to judge people if they got the games or not. Nor do i want to target any person in particular. This opinion has been swirling in my mind for quite some time and I just wanted to share it in the least toxic way possible. Again, I’m glad people who bought the games enjoy and love it, and I’m happy for them: and most certainly respect their decisions about buying them as educated consumers.

Now onto the main thing:

If I’m being honest “It doesn’t have much but I bought it anyways” probably won’t have much effect on the next games, because the sale already happened. If I were to go into conspiracy mode I’d guess that this is the exact reason these games don’t have many extra features. The fans love the originals enough, and have a desire to just have Pokémon content irrespective of new additions that they’ll get the sale on a game like BDSP anyways. Adding the least amount of extra content possible while getting the maximum amount of sales probably leads to a release like this.

I still at am a loss at choices that don’t impact the budget at all or minimally (game teams and Pokémon distributions) that don’t make it to the games, but for the major things, I think it’s a case of the developers catering to the lowest common denominator audience.

I’ve started to feel like third versions and games like this are just playing an elaborate game of “How much can we save by skimping a game till the people actually stop buying it?” and want to stick at a balance with a game that doesn’t have any glaring issues or bugs so people don’t outright refuse to buy the games; and has things like nostalgia and a charming but cheaper (to produce) art style so people can see some positives that compel a purchase.

Overall, I am not too bothered since for me these games only serve as a refresher and cater to the audience that likes the original games while we get a radical and a more ambitious release like Legends- so both demographics get covered. I see this more as a supplemental release and personally would call it more of a remaster than a remake (that isn’t derogatory to the game imo, but I’m gauging it based on the actual creative changes and the direction compared to the OG games).

As long as both nostalgia and innovation get catered to and we get releases like legends that are higher effort and test the borders of the franchise, it seems great! But had BDSP debuted on its own without legends I’d have some harsher thoughts.

Silktree

Not Dead
Reaction score
As long as both nostalgia and innovation get catered to and we get releases like legends that are higher effort and test the borders of the franchise, it seems great! But had BDSP debuted on its own without legends I’d have some harsher thoughts.
To be honest, I expect there to be a fair amount of backlash around Legends unless they start revealing more features beyond new forms/evolutions. I honestly doubt that the average traditional player is going to like catching Pokemon multiple times, especially when most of them are already in BDSP. The game has a good concept, but execution makes a world of difference.

I think they should have done more with Alpha Pokemon to spruce things up a bit the way the Orre games did. They seem like a minor feature.

Oriden

Here to ride the rumor train.
Reaction score
To be honest, I expect there to be a fair amount of backlash around Legends unless they start revealing more features beyond new forms/evolutions. I honestly doubt that the average traditional player is going to like catching Pokemon multiple times, especially when most of them are already in BDSP. The game has a good concept, but execution makes a world of difference.

I think they should have done more with Alpha Pokemon to spruce things up a bit the way the Orre games did. They seem like a minor feature.

They've already revealed a lot? We've seen the research tasks, the pokemon interactions, quests, alphas, nobles, wardens, crafting, ride pokemon, glimpses of the plot... it's already lined up to be a really immersive game compared to the usual pokemon title.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I honestly doubt that the average traditional player is going to like catching Pokemon multiple times, especially when most of them are already in BDSP.
I mean, didn’t they already do a lot of that in GO and Let's Go? I think "no trainers" part is mostly going to be flavour text as we've met some battle-able Pokémon and trainers till now.

Daren

'Chu can dance if you want to
Reaction score
I'm expecting Legends backlash, partly because I see a lot of people on twitter projecting everything they want from the series and assuming it'll be in Legends. That's not GameFreak's fault but I still imagine it coming; I've already seen it being heralded as the harder, more mature game there's been requests for despite the lack of evidence for either, and we already had the whole "open world oh wait it isn't" thing.

The other thing I suspect is complaints over the pokédex missions requiring certain tasks like evolving the same species repeatedly (so not just capturing the same thing like in Let's Go but training several of them).
Edit: Hold on we're in the BD/SP thread...

As for the Mythicals unlocked by the other games, I'll certainly take it over the old Mythical distributions methods.

Last edited:

Silktree

Not Dead
Reaction score
They've already revealed a lot? We've seen the research tasks, the pokemon interactions, quests, alphas, nobles, wardens, crafting, ride pokemon, glimpses of the plot... it's already lined up to be a really immersive game compared to the usual pokemon title.
These aren't exciting research tasks, and other than Alphas, the rest are just tweaked versions of what we got in SM, except with the AI not even having teams. I'm glad it's enough for you, but a single player game should make up for the lack of multiplayer.

Last edited:

Oriden

Reaction score
These aren't exciting research tasks, and other than Alphas, the rest are just tweaked versions of what we got in SM, except with 1vs1 battles only. I'm glad it's enough for you, though.
Well it says research level 2.

Not sure what more you're expecting. All battles are just going to seem like a tweaked version of previous battles because that's what this whole series is in a nutshell.

Oriden

Reaction score
Still won't be getting Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl, but I think what I've heard about the improved gym battles and smarter AI sounds pretty cool, especially for everyone who wanted more of a challenge.

My favorite parts of these games, though? The pokemon icons (love the art style) and the designs for the legendary slates.

ShieldFan

Better than Gen 8 fossils
Reaction score
I'm seriously contemplating buying Shining Pearl now. I liked the upgraded Gym Leaders' teams, the rematch against them. Is it too late to jump on the bandwagon?

ShieldFan

Better than Gen 8 fossils
Reaction score
Will pokemon games get a price cut (Let's go Games, Sword and Shield) on Christmas and/or Black Friday?

RavenRaziel98

Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him/his
Nintendo/GF gives you 200 Pokeballs as pre-order bonus. The worst of all balls, most people use them only til they get access to the great balls. What was the Idea behind it, 50 Ultra balls would cost 60.000 nucks, 200 Pokeballs will only cost 20.000?
So even if you sell said Pokeballs you'll get 10.000 bucks, as pre-order bonus which can be helpful but it could be considered that the developers or publishers or who ever is in charge when it comes to cost reduction even tried saving money with something that wouldn't even cost them money :D
By the way, I'm not wanting to say that there aren't people which will really use all of them but I guess these are mostly those people that are going for completing the Pokedex (which would be the minority of the players I guess, since I can imagine that the general casual player won't bother with that).

Oriden

Reaction score
Nintendo/GF gives you 200 Pokeballs as pre-order bonus. The worst of all balls, most people use them only til they get access to the great balls. What was the Idea behind it, 50 Ultra balls would cost 60.000 nucks, 200 Pokeballs will only cost 20.000?
So even if you sell said Pokeballs you'll get 10.000 bucks, as pre-order bonus which can be helpful but it could be considered that the developers or publishers or who ever is in charge when it comes to cost reduction even tried saving money with something that wouldn't even cost them money :D
By the way, I'm not wanting to say that there aren't people which will really use all of them but I guess these are mostly those people that are going for completing the Pokedex (which would be the minority of the players I guess, since I can imagine that the general casual player won't bother with that).
Casual players absolutely will try to catch everything. That has been the appeal of the franchise from the very start? It's also why GO is so popular.

Personally, I have always used regular pokeballs more than anything- great and ultra only when I have to. Regular pokeballs just seemed more cost effective, especially when I could get a free premier ball with every purchase of ten.

Actually pretty sure that it's been mathematically proven that pokeballs are the better buy. Great ball's catch rate isn't worth the extra cost.

Last edited: