• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Pokemon's graphical style has evolved drastically over the last five years, making it more difficult to maintain that balance of old and new. By splitting the Sinnoh project into two separate games, Legends and BDSP, Game Freak have allowed themselves complete creative freedom while simultaneously keeping the good memories intact. They still have the same philosophy, they've just approached it from a different angle this time.

Pokemon's graphical style evolving with the hardware is no excuse. If it takes more time and resources to get the graphical style right they should spend more time and resources on the games instead of playing this zero sum game of sacrificing one for the other. Pokemon makes bucketloads of money, there's no reason why they have to keep them cheap and cut content like this. It just reeks of laziness and corporate greed.

I was going to mention this. If this was in a budget price, maybe like 30 bucks, i wouldn't be upset all that much. I would still be disappointed because my favorite generation is getting such a basic remake though. (...) I don't care if Nintendo is the one pricing it, if you know your game is gonna ask for 60 bucks, maybe actually put in the effort to justify that price. That is not to say that this remake is effortless, effort was put into it, just not enough in my opinion.

Well, I think Pokémon BDSP and SWSH, especially the last, are better games than the excessive criticism makes out. However, criticism of the latest games in the franchise is not without reason.

For quite a time the developers seem to have cut the edges of the games badly (the lack of post-game in XY, the inexistence of Battle of the Frontier in the remakes, or a suitable option, the mandatory Exp-Share and the controversial DEXIT, are good examples). My impression is that, to some extent, Game Freak looks to limit their games unnecessarily, and these games are no exception. There's no reason this game shouldn't have as much content as Platinum, and not even a reason for the game to try to be so literally true to the original to the point of crushing potential innovations and additions.

On the other hand, there is the question of budget and the limited scope of the game. Well, the purpose of the game, in general, is quite simple, replicating a ready-made game with a graphical update that is equally simple. And, to be honest, it sometimes feels like there's been a lack of time, budget, or even effort for some aspects of the game. From what I saw, one of the things that bothered me the most is the poverty of the indoor environments. Many of the game's ridiculously tiny houses seem to barely support the characters' oversized chibi style.

My point, as many have pointed out, is that this is not a AAA, or even AA, game, and that it shouldn't cost $60. The fact that the Pokémon Company charges this amount, as well as JC Smith's recent statements to the Axios website, demonstrate the Company's little consideration and concern for its own fans.

But at the end of the day, Pokémon BDSP, and the franchise in general, is selling absurdly well, with the game being the second biggest release of the year in the UK. So, there's not much to worry about.

Last edited:
I'm so mixed on this game right now. I'll be playing, and I'll find something small that's incredibly annoying to me...Like the inconsistencies in how the HP drains when you get hit. Most of the time, it'll do the countdown, like you'll normally see in a Pokemon game, but sometimes it'll just automatically change to the new number, and it's just like "wait did I actually just see that?" But then I'll see something like the way the water looks, or hear the new Veilstone music, and I'm like "well fuck I actually like this" and "I can't believe I'm being so nitpicky!"

But the fact of the matter is, I SHOULD be nitpicky. As fun as it has been to have another new romp through Sinnoh so far, Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum are the games I grew up with, and I SHOULD be nitpicky for that reason alone! I don't think it's wrong to like these games, by any means - there's a lot to like, ESPECIALLY with the Grand Underground; I think I forgot just how addictive the minigames down there are - but I think it's also fair to be pissed off at those small things that hinder the experience as well, and I think that around a 6-7/10 is more than reasonable for these games.

I'm enjoying my experience with BDSP thus far, and the relative quality of life/ease of access improvements to different Pokemon through the Underground is really making me want to actually complete the Pokedex this time around. But there is still plenty to nitpick here and so far nothing has convinced me that Platinum isn't the better game.

Anyway, buy Pokemon Legends Arceus.

I'm so mixed on this game right now. I'll be playing, and I'll find something small that's incredibly annoying to me...Like the inconsistencies in how the HP drains when you get hit. Most of the time, it'll do the countdown, like you'll normally see in a Pokemon game, but sometimes it'll just automatically change to the new number, and it's just like "wait did I actually just see that?" But then I'll see something like the way the water looks, or hear the new Veilstone music, and I'm like "well fuck I actually like this" and "I can't believe I'm being so nitpicky!"
I haven't noticed that a single time and I'm post-game already :lapras:

How tf are you already post-game
2 reasons:
1. I have no life whatsoever, the last days were getting up, playing, going to bed.
2. Somethin went wrong with my pre-order, so I canceled it and called my local game store (wanted to buy it there anyway but they didn't list before September and at this point I already ordered elsewhere) and the owner told me I can come around and pick it up if I I've time - and so I did which I why I already had the game on the 18th.

:lapras:Whaaaaaaaaaat
I usually do my homework fast so I can play when I leave school but then I get time to play until dinner, then I play more after dinner, then I go to bed at 8:30, but I have to get off at 8:00. And I spend waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time in the Grand Underground fooling around with catching mons (where I got my Houndoom and Gastrodon, the latter saved my butt (and started my luck streak) against Jupiter by landing a FISSURE at level 20, the same level as her Skuntank).

I'm enjoying my experience with BDSP thus far, and the relative quality of life/ease of access improvements to different Pokemon through the Underground is really making me want to actually complete the Pokedex this time around. But there is still plenty to nitpick here and so far nothing has convinced me that Platinum isn't the better game.
You've hit the nail on the head and I think this is a massive part of why I'm enjoying them so much and why I'm eternally grateful that they didn't choose to directly remake Platinum instead (is that controversial? Suddenly I'm scared); Platinum has been my favourite entry in the series since I played my pre-order way back when I was a child, and in my mind, it's untouchable, flawless, can't do a thing wrong - for me, there's nothing in that game that needed to be done differently (I recognise that there is, but eh, nostalgia blinds you).

Diamond & Pearl, however, had a multitude of flaws that needed to be reworked and improved on, many of them in order to make the game playable for some. Most of these (if not all) were already addressed in Platinum, but since we were always bound to get Sinnoh remakes eventually, I'm glad they went for the incredibly faithful D/P remakes instead of utilising the Platinum storyline/improvements/etc for the remakes because I absolutely WOULD have been disappointed, then. So in that sense, I'm absolutely in agreement with you - Platinum is superior to BD/SP and D/P both, but BD/SP is a refreshing upgrade (and tribute) to D/P for the new generation.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom