• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Well, I got curious Lol.
If Turtwig is chosen, Lucas's team in version 1.1.2 is Gliscor, Cradily, Glaceon, Heat Rotom, Tauros, and Empoleon.
i don't really get why they gave dawn and lucas different teams. they're essentially the same person. they never did they with may and brendan in rse/oras or with calem and serena in xy

:wynaut: ? I think it's nice. Makes the two more distinct.

I witnessed the exact same gitch. Pretty sure it was during an evolution too.
Speaking of glitches, here's the current any% speedrun world record of Shining Pearl, completed in an incredible 16 minutes and 14 seconds :eek:

This is some Generation 1 level of broken shit right here. I don't think you can even do this in the originals, giving further credence that this remake was rushed out the door.

Questions.

1. How do you unlock the Lucas/Dawn rematches? I can't seem to get them to battle me no matter what. I know it has something to do with them battling you on the weekend, but I tried that and it didn't work.
2. Does anyone know how to get rid of the Ramanas slates they don't need? I accidentally bought too many Discovery Slates and I want to get rid of them, but you can't sell them and I found out you can't trade them either. I already have the regis, so I have extra Discovery Slates I can't even use!

Questions.

1. How do you unlock the Lucas/Dawn rematches? I can't seem to get them to battle me no matter what. I know it has something to do with them battling you on the weekend, but I tried that and it didn't work.
2. Does anyone know how to get rid of the Ramanas slates they don't need? I accidentally bought too many Discovery Slates and I want to get rid of them, but you can't sell them and I found out you can't trade them either. I already have the regis, so I have extra Discovery Slates I can't even use!

Did you finish the Stark Mountain quest with Buck and do all the stuff Lucas/Dawn talks about (going to see the sister to hear about swarms and going to Bebe for Eevee)? That's what I had to do to unlock the fight for me. And then like you said it's only on weekends sadly.

I don't know about number 2, my understanding was that if you got too many you were just screwed. I haven't heard of anything else to do with them.

This is some Generation 1 level of broken shit right here.
That's a big overreaction. BDSP is nowhere near Gen 1 level of broken. Plus the glitches and bugs are probably being patched as we speak.
I don't think you can even do this in the originals, giving further credence that this remake was rushed out the door.
facepalm Lol not this meme again... BDSP wasn't any more "rushed" than previous Pokemon games.

Inb4: "But the glitches and the Day 1 Patch!" - The game being glitchy is probably because of ILCA's inexperience in working with GameFreak's source material. They are probably not used to GameFreak's programming/coding, hence the increase in bugs. As for the Day 1 Patch, that's typical for videogames nowadays (whether this is good or bad, is a separate discussion).

Last edited:
Plus the glitches and bugs are probably being patched as we speak.
The fact that these glitches and bugs don't exist in the originals but exist here is ridiculous in my opinion. There shouldn't be any need for patching, or at least not multiple patches to fix it. Maybe a couple of bugs here and there which happens with most releases, but not to this extent. Specially not in the same as vein as this.

facepalm Lol not this meme again... BDSP wasn't any more "rushed" than previous Pokemon games.
Yeah, because the previous games were also rushed. Pokemon games have this pervasive feeling since XY that these games have rushed development.

The game being glitchy is probably because of ILCA's inexperience, since this is their first time working with GameFreak's source material
You would think they were given this remake to a company that has the experience required to work on it, or given ILCA the necessary training to do such. Specially for a series that makes so much money.

The fact that these glitches and bugs don't exist in the originals but exist here is ridiculous in my opinion. There shouldn't be any need for patching, or at least not multiple patches to fix it. Maybe a couple of bugs here and there which happens with most releases, but not to this extent. Specially not in the same as vein as this.
The original games and the remakes are not written in the same code, meaning that ILCA didn't just copy the code of the originals. This explains the new glitches not present in the originals. Honestly it's no big deal imo, I don't understand the drama around this. Especially since it's being fixed.
Yeah, because the previous games were also rushed. Pokemon games have this pervasive feeling since XY that these games have rushed development.
Well if every Pokemon game in the past 10 years has been "rushed", then it's unfair and misleading to single out BDSP as being "rushed". Furthermore, I would argue thst BDSP is possibly "less rushed" than other Pokemon games, in the sense that it has ILCA's full attention, since they aren't developing another Pokemon game simultaneously to BDSP, which is what Game Freak usually does with remakes.
You would think they were given this remake to a company that has the experience required to work on it, or given ILCA the necessary training to do such. Specially for a series that makes so much money.
No, you're misrepresenting what I said. I didn't say ILCA doesn't have experience. I said ILCA doesn't have experience remaking GameFreak's games. Any company (experienced or not) would have had struggled remaking a Pokemon game for the first time.

Did you finish the Stark Mountain quest with Buck and do all the stuff Lucas/Dawn talks about (going to see the sister to hear about swarms and going to Bebe for Eevee)? That's what I had to do to unlock the fight for me. And then like you said it's only on weekends sadly.

Ah, that explains it. I should probably do that then. Shame about the extra slates, though. Oh well.

Honestly it's no big deal imo, I don't understand the drama around this.
Because it makes a game that released with a bunch of missing stuff at release that had to be downloaded day one look even worse. You do that and then the game itself has plenty of bugs on top of it, some that softlock the game? I completely understand why some people are angry.

Well if every Pokemon game in the past 10 years has been "rushed", then it's unfair and misleading to single out BDSP as "rushed".
No, it makes BDSP look even worse. These rushed releases should have stopped years ago, and yet they keep happening. Now we reached a point people have to download portions of the game at release.

No, you're misrepresenting what I said.
I didn't, what i said was a response to your claim. If ILCA has such inexperience with Gamefreak's material, how about give them plenty of time to get used to it? Then they can release a product that is actually finished, doesn't require downloading portions of the game at release, and maybe just has an handful of bugs, with maybe all of them being harmless.

I get being fine with the state the game is in, but you are not gonna convince me that these games weren't rushed. Until i see hard evidence of the contrary, i will die on this hill. But if anything, if this remake actually had plenty of development time, it makes it look even worse given the state it was released in and the amount of content it has compared to the originals (which it's hardly much, if any at all).

Because it makes a game that released with a bunch of missing stuff at release that had to be downloaded day one look even worse. You do that and then the game itself has plenty of bugs on top of it, some that softlock the game? I completely understand why some people are angry.

No, it makes BDSP look even worse. These rushed releases should have stopped years ago, and yet they keep happening. Now we reached a point people have to download portions of the game at release.

I didn't, what i said was a response to your claim. If ILCA has such inexperience with Gamefreak's material, how about give them plenty of time to get used to it? Then they can release a product that is actually finished, doesn't require downloading portions of the game at release, and maybe just has an handful of bugs, with maybe all of them being harmless.

I get being fine with the state the game is in, but you are not gonna convince me that these games weren't rushed. Until i see hard evidence of the contrary, i will die on this hill. But if anything, if this remake actually had plenty of development time, it makes it look even worse given the state it was released in and the amount of content it has compared to the originals (which it's hardly much, if any at all).
You are factually incorrect about BDSP. I don't even know where to start. So I will stop here.

Idk... This is kinda sad but... I hope you enjoy this "rushed" meme, while I enjoy playing the game (me and 6 million more people btw, best selling Pokemon remake in its first week, doubling the sales of LGPE and ORAS).

Last edited:
You are factually incorrect on so many levels that I don't even know where to start lol.
Just major lol. You got me there. I admit defeat.

I hope you enjoy hating the game while I enjoy playing it.
As long are you're having fun.

Idk... This is kinda sad but... I hope you enjoy complaining about the game, while I enjoy playing it
That's what i'm doing, going everywhere, to every possible site to scream at people that these remakes suck. Haven't slept since the game's release, just grinding out there, spreading my hate. Got nothing better to do. I could play games, specially the ones i bought recently, but i ain't got time to do that.

On a more serious note. playing the Dragon Quest DS remakes of 4, 5, 6 made BDSP look even worse in my eyes. Those remakes added substantial content, specially in the postgame. The remake of Dragon Quest 4 added a whole sixth chapter to the story and allowed you to recruit the main villain of the game. Made balance passes to characters and skills. Much better menus. The remakes of Dragon Quest 5 and 6 added the party chat (4 didn't get it because Square Enix was afraid of development costs. It did get it in the mobile phone version.) that was introduced in Dragon Quest 7, giving more depth to characters. Expanded the backstory of the main villains and other story elements. That sexy as shit 2D sprite animation (imgur.com), that is just magnificient. And they were released mostly bug free.

So why can't this remake be like this? I'm not saying to do exactly these things, but to do this amount of work. Am i being too entitled when i expect a remake for a game in the highest grossing media franchise in the world to do at least as much as other remakes, remakes of games that sell far less than Pokemon? Are my expectations too high when at the very least i expect something along the lines of ORAS (a remake that i have plenty of problems with but at least in my opinion did a lot more than BDSP)?

Obviously i don't have an issue with people liking this remake. If you're having fun, great. And i don't want you to feel bad if you are enjoying it. I'm just incredibly disappointed with how this remake turned out, and seeing it coming out this buggy didn't helped.

Last edited:
Just major lol. You got me there. I admit defeat.
Better late than never ;)

As long are you're having fun
Right back at ya!

That's what i'm doing, going everywhere, to every possible site to scream at people that these remakes suck. Haven't slept since the game's release, just grinding out there, spreading my hate. Got nothing better to do. I could play games, specially the ones i bought recently, but i ain't got time to do that.
I appreciate your sincerity :p

Jokes aside, I never said you have to like BDSP. I just asked you to stop saying the game was rushed without evidence supporting this (and no, the Day 1 Patch is not the evidence you may think it is; neither are the bugs, necessarily).

I mean... bugs (as amusing as they can be, at least imo) aren't a great look regardless. They're either signs of rushed development, or their betatesters weren't that good at what they were doing, or other development issues like crunch. Obviously we have no way of telling what exactly caused this, but poor aspect is poor and there's no sugarcoating it.

99% of the bugs in BDSP (and in any other Pokemon game, for that matter) are actively forced by the player.

Someone playing Pokemon normally, is likely not going to experience any bugs at all.

Yes, and the purpose of betatesting among other things is to force out these bugs into the open so they can be fixed before the games are shipped to players. We, as players, weren't supposed to be triggering these bugs at all in a well-polished game.

BDSP wasn't any more "rushed" than previous Pokemon games.
I don’t usually say a Pokémon game is "rushed", but a game that literally ships without its title screen and background music could've used some more time in production. BDSP was factually incomplete on the launch cartridge and it isn’t even a debate… The reasons may range from COVID or something else, but the fact remains the cartridge sold to players was released with an incomplete game.

The game may be good after the patch, it might be enjoyable even before the patch, but this is the only Pokémon game I feel has a valid argument for being called "rushed" that’s based in fact- they could've taken their time and released a complete game.
I cannot bring myself to call a literal incomplete release "not rushed".

Last edited:
I don’t usually say a Pokémon game is "rushed", but a game that literally ships without its title screen and background music could've used some more time in production. BDSP was factually incomplete on the launch cartridge and it isn’t even a debate… The reasons may range from COVID or something else, but the fact remains the cartridge sold to players was released with an incomplete game.

The game may be good after the patch, it might be enjoyable even before the patch, but this is the only Pokémon game I feel has a valid argument for being called "rushed" that’s based in fact- they could've taken their time and released a complete game.
I cannot bring myself to call a literal incomplete release "not rushed".
Just buy the game digital and all of your complaints are invalidated. :)

I bought Shining Pearl digital, and I didn't even have to install any Day 1 Patch. Everything was already included in the digital download.

Again, your complaints are not exactly baseless, but they're a lot more subjective than you think they are.

Last edited:
Just buy the game digital and all of your complaints are invalidated. :)

I bought Shining Pearl digital, and I didn't even have to install any Day 1 Patch. Everything was already included in the digital download.

Again, your complains are not exactly wrong, but they're a lot more subjective than you think they are.
I don't think that's why people are complaining about the Day 1 Patch, though. First of all, some people simply greater prefer playing a physical release of a game, so the argument of "just buy the digital version if you don't wanna wait for the patch to download" isn't really that... good.

More importantly, I think the main people reason dislike it is the preservation aspect. Something about how when the Switch’s online services inevitably shut down, people who didn’t buy the game already will forever experience it incomplete, iirc.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom