• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Oriden

Here to ride the rumor train.
Reaction score
Hello, and thank you very much for your detailed answer. What you said about the PS3 is mind-blowing and it really sucks. Now I'm really confused. :(

But let me ask once again: you say the console performs a "license check" and if Nintendo has cancelled the license, I cannot play the game anymore. But couldn't this be avoided by simply turning OFF the internet of the console, like I suggested earlier?

My point is, don't they revoke the license via internet? And doesn't the console also need internet in order to "detect" that the valid license is gone? So if we "cut" their internet access to our consoles, there's nothing they can do about it to stop us from playing the game?
The answer would be no because the license is on a timer and your system doesn't need the internet to keep track of time, it uses an internal battery. And if the battery dies or something happens to your system, the default is to terminate your license until you can connect to the company's server to verify it again.

Actually I'm going to revise this. If your console cannot perform the license check, then it is going to assume that you do not have a license. This is initiated by your system, not by the internet contacting your system, so disconnecting it from the internet will not prevent it from doing the check or from deciding that you do not have a valid license. I think that better answers your question.

Just my understanding from what was posted and said in the video.

Last edited:

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
The answer would be no because the license is on a timer and your system doesn't need the internet to keep track of time, it uses an internal battery. And if the battery dies or something happens to your system, the default is to terminate your license until you can connect to the company's server to verify it again.

Actually I'm going to revise this. If your console cannot perform the license check, then it is going to assume that you do not have a license. This is initiated by your system, not by the internet contacting your system, so disconnecting it from the internet will not prevent it from doing the check or from deciding that you do not have a valid license.

Just my understanding from what was posted and said in the video.
Well... If that's true, we are all screwed :(

Oriden

Reaction score
Deleted my post to doublecheck my info.

So yeah, the license thing is an issue on the Playstation devices apparently due to the achievement system. It's designed that way to prevent achievement abuse.

On the Nintendo Switch, it seems we're better off because even if you get banned, you can still play your downloaded games offline. You just can't play online, update your games, or download new games. Although if any of your downloaded games is coded so that it has to check online for updates or whatever or else it won't run, you would probably be screwed out of playing that specific game. For the most part, though, seems we're good on the Switch.

Also probably worth noting that this only counts for your primary console. Nintendo has some sort of primary/non-primary console setup where you can login on a secondary console to play your games, but that secondary console requires constant internet access to play. So if you were banned, probably couldn't do that either.

Last edited:

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
On the Nintendo Switch, it seems we're better off because even if you get banned, you can still play your downloaded games offline.
Thank God. This is exactly what I was hoping for, as I don't play online anyway. Offline is all I care about. Thank you so much!!!
You just can't play online, update your games, or download new games.
That's fine, the Switch Pokemon games will have already received their latest updates years before that happens! Fair.
Although if any of your downloaded games is coded so that it has to check online for updates or whatever or else it won't run, you would probably be screwed out of playing that specific game.
Do you know if LGPE, SwSh and BDSP are coded that way?

Last edited:

FelipePR

Reaction score

As long as there is no access to the servers, this is likely Hackable. that is, it must be possible to remove the license checker or validate a license. We just need good people interested in doing it. Anyway, it's for these reasons that emulators exist.

Oriden

Reaction score
Do you know if LGPE, SwSh and BDSP are coded that way? I only play Pokemon games so that's all I care about...
I honestly don't know. I couldn't find any information on any license checks or anything of that sort for the Switch.

Pokemon doesn't seem like the type of series that would do that, though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. I couldn't find any information on any license checks or anything of that sort for the Switch.

Pokemon doesn't seem like the type of series that would do that, though, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Ok thank you very much!!! And I think you're right: Pokemon is partially aimed at kids, and I don't think Nintendo would do this license checking to kids.

Oriden

Reaction score
Ok thank you very much!!! And I think you're right: Pokemon is partially aimed at children, and I don't think Nintendo would do this to kids.
It's more that Pokemon is mainly playable offline with minimal online content, and historically anything that required online in any capacity just became unusable once the servers for it went down. The series has also just been building up from the same code all these years, it has more in common with older games than anything more recent. Its foundation is designed to run without internet, so it'd be kind of weird if they implemented anything that would make it so it wouldn't work at all without it.

Keeping in mind that I don't have any in-depth knowledge of this, I'm just gleaming what information I can. But as far as I know, the only Switch games that should become unplayable without internet access are games that are mainly played online anyway. The Switch can check if the games you're playing are valid or pirated (even if you play them offline, apparently, it'll just wait until you're online again to tattle on you) and that can result in Nintendo suspending or banning your account, but that just cuts you off from the internet.

EmCeeChupi

Light Bearer
Reaction score
Pronouns
He, Him
I never use the online union room (or any online feature in BDSP or LGPE) because nobody wants to battle.
I can feel safe

There Is No Arceus

Reaction score
Pronouns
She/Her
i got the game at launch and i still haven't even looked at the online fetures. the only online features i care about (the gts and wonder trade) aren't available yet anyway

EmCeeChupi

Light Bearer
Reaction score
Pronouns
He, Him
I beat the E4 yesterday
Spammed Earthquake against Garchomp and healed at the right times with one affection dodge against a Dragon Claw that I knew would almost kill if it had crit, but still, I got lucky and won.

guydee

possessor of raw gaming skill
Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him
New trailer!!! I wasn't expecting this, considering the game is already out! Any idea why it is releasing so late?
Maybe they wanted to give people time to beat the game before revealing the entire postgame? Idk