• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Assuming that the idea is to stay as close as possible to the original games, they can do it just like current rom hacks, in which any Pokémon in the party (maybe even in the portable box) that can learn a HM can use it outside the battle without actually learning it.

Anyway, considering that I'm already used to the different approaches given in each game, personally, I care very little for the solution that will be used in the remake.

Assuming that the idea is to stay as close as possible to the original games, they can do it just like current rom hacks, in which any Pokémon in the party (maybe even in the portable box) that can learn a HM can use it outside the battle without actually learning it.
God, I hope ROM Hacks aren't doing what Essentials games do sometimes where every single HM is an option on the menu. Like, I love the convenience of it, but it'll end up looking like this, and uh....

1615091654645.png

Anyways, to jump in on the streamlining HM obstacles conversation, one other thing that would be useful would be to cut out all the dialogue boxes of "You wanna use cut?" "You wanna use Rock Smash?" Like, when has anyone ever interacted with a cut tree and not wanted to remove it. There's no negative consequences of it. Even the HM that move you, like Surf and Rock Climb, would be easy to just step back to.

Casual players probably aren't going to think of that, or maybe even have enough Pokemon to have that luxury. Whatever they do for field moves has to be simple, straightforward, and foolproof to make it accessible. So Poke Ride or Secret Techniques would be a better solution in that regard than TMs.
What casual players are breeding for egg moves? Not to mention egg moves can be kind of relearned now with the new day care mechanic

Fair, but to my eyes it's just so artifact-ey. Everyone's face is an unintelligible blur of pixels, with specific features like eyes and mouths constantly shifting in and out of existence when the game is actually in motion.
Isn’t that more of an issue with the 3DS resolution than the actual graphic fidelity of the game? It’s more a console issue than an art style one. Sun/Moon upscaled to Switch resolutions would be a more accurate comparison imo.
I mean, if you have access to your whole Box of Pokémon, then the point is moot. Just find a Pokémon that has a move you don’t mind overwriting. I just don’t really see Poke Ride or Secret Techniques returning here.
I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’d like to see Poke Ride make a comeback as much as the next guy but it just seems like a pretty big jump from the originals.
I don’t really think what I described is all that complicated. It was pretty clear in SwSh and LGPE that you could access your box at any time.
These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series, plus up-close-and-personal Pokémon battle scenes.

This sentence pretty much confirms to me that we're getting something like LGPE secret abilities or ride Pokémon. Maybe a new twist on them since they seem to do a new twist every game.

From the website text it’s incredibly clear it’s just Diamond and Pearl but 3D. Even the website domain is just DiamondPearl. I don’t expect any new forms for Dialga/Palkia as well.

Riding pokemon was one of the things i liked about Gen 7. So if you are gonna reuse something from the recent games, use the good stuff.

Isn’t that more of an issue with the 3DS resolution than the actual graphic fidelity of the game? It’s more a console issue than an art style one. Sun/Moon upscaled to Switch resolutions would be a more accurate comparison imo.

(I said this in this post before the one you quoted. :))

Thing is, in practice I’m not sure it matters. If experiencing the “true” graphics requires you to play a ripped copy of the game on Citra, then most people are never going to see it, and the ones who will are doing something that TPC and Game Freak would rather they not be. In the end, you can know the hardware you’re working with and try to work within those limitations.

I genuinely hope that's not the case.
I don't blame you, but I keep coming back to the concept of faithful recreation and trying to figure out what that means. I suspect it means that as many of gen 4's mechanics and systems - including HMs - will make it into the game.

This sentence pretty much confirms to me that we're getting something like LGPE secret abilities or ride Pokémon. Maybe a new twist on them since they seem to do a new twist every game.
It suggests that we’ll get the convenience of not having to deal with HMs, but it doesn’t suggest anything about how. I think Ride Pokémon is just a bit too radically different from the originals while Secret Techniques were really based around the fact that you had Pikachu/Eevee with you at all times.

They did. their exact words were "faithful to the originals". I think that makes it pretty clear we'll be using bidoof hm slaves in the remakes
We don't know what they mean by "faithful to the originals", it could be a 1:1, a Samus returns like, or a in beetween. They never said "as faithful as possible", they said "faithful to the originals" which doesn't say how much faithful it is.

Strictly speaking they only said faithful in regards to story and map. But. more importantly they also said, as PkmnTrainerV posted, that these games will have the “modern player-friendly conveniences.” Idk why so many people are ignoring that and overworking the “faithfulness” angle to conjure up a vision of the game that regresses on 15 years of game design improvements. I know GF have taken backsteps before but never that hard. They know how much people hate HMs wasting move slots, hence the concerted effort since Sun & Moon to eradicate them from the games altogether (frankly to the point of detriment in SwSh). They know that the burdensome HM requirements were one of the big problems that kept kids from finishing Diamond & Pearl, hence the stark shift in how those things were handled starting with Black & White.

Since they’re keeping the map layouts, the obstacles will all still be there, but there’ll be some kind of non-moveslot-wasting way of dealing with them. I guarantee it.

We don't know what they mean by "faithful to the originals", it could be a 1:1, a Samus returns like, or a in beetween. They never said "as faithful as possible", they said "faithful to the originals" which doesn't say how much faithful it is.
With respect, nothing has been said so far to convince me there won’t be HMs. Nothing else makes any sense in my opinion.

Faithful to the originals has been to blown out of proportion. Guess fairy types are gone and literally anything introduced since dp is out too. Even lets go wasn't that bad. The story will likely be faithful and the map and character designs.
I am hoping once we beat Cynthia we get a lot of post game changes like a platinum episode. The ending of dp sets it up anyway, Cyrus isn't defeated or trapped in the DW he just walks away vowing to still create his new world. Thats perfect set up for looker to show up at your house post Cynthia and start a whole post game episode with cyrus and giratina.

I expect to see at least some lore added to the Sinnoh region, even if it's a "faithful" recreation. Like they could point out that the first Pokedex was created by a person who used a Pokemon that came from another region. That can be a slight nod to the Legends: Arceus game where the protagonist uses a starter that's not from Sinnoh.

TMs have been gone from gen VII and haven't made return since, even in LGPE. They've either been replaced or straight up removed.
I know, but that doesn’t mean they can’t return for a game.

Walking pokemon were removed for generations but were in gen 7 for one game.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom