• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Not really. If that were true, every mobile game of a Nintendo IP would be $60 as well. And Nintendo releases smaller projects on their own IPs as well, such as Kirby spinoffs, Cadence of Hyrule, and Mario vs. DK. Clout has nothing to do with what's AAA since there have been prominent IPs that release cheaper games and less known IPs that release full $60 games. Businesses price their products based on how much they need to make a profit, Nintendo and Game Freak price their games at $60 because they think they can make the biggest profit at $60, so the budget is indeed a factor in the decision to set the price at $60.

I did say that budget was a part of it as well. My point was that, while we don't really know the exact budgets for most of these games, clearly you can have something like BOTW and something like Skyward HD priced the same despite them not likely requiring equal amounts of money and work to create. Just as it's the same for SwSh, BDSP, and Arceus. So there have to be other factors as well - it's a convergence of multiple things.

You know, a lot of people say they're going to be upset if HMs return in all their Gen 4 PTSD glory, but I wouldn't mind it as long as we got unique overworld models to go with them, like what XY and ORAS did with Lapras, Wailmer, Sharpedo, and Kyogre, or how XY had us ride Pokemon like Rhyhorn and Mamoswine, and how Let's Go set us ride on top of all sorts of Pokemon. I wouldn't mind HMs coming back if we got to have certain Pokemon visibly perform these tasks for us, although I'm just not sure how they could make that look good with the chibi style.
I really don't expect HMs to return in the way they used to, but I could see some feature allowing you to call on certain Pokémon (similar to a ride Pokémon) to clear a specific obstacle like fog or a whirlpool or something.

Centro Pokemon Leaks is claiming a new trailer is coming out which will show that the graphics have changed for better or for worst, but I wouldn't expect anything too dramatic, its probably some modifications to textures or the addition of black outlines for the sprites.

Honestly I can accept the chibis and overall artstyle at this point, so if they can just improve the in-battle scene like Dawn and Barry a little that would be great because that was the worst looking part to me.

But yeah, even Centro called BS on a rumor trying to claim there would be an artstyle change. There's just no way.

Honestly I can accept the chibis and overall artstyle at this point, so if they can just improve the in-battle scene like Dawn and Barry a little that would be great because that was the worst looking part to me.

But yeah, even Centro called BS on a rumor trying to claim there would be an artstyle change. There's just no way.

The shading on the human characters during battles is the only thing bothering me. I actually love how everything else looks. (I mean, the chibi models do look a little awkward in cutscenes when the camera zooms in on them, but the same was true in Gen 6. It's not a dealbreaker.)

I used to take leaks with a pinch of salt, but there's been some surprisingly accurate ones in recent years.

Centro Pokemon Leaks is claiming a new trailer is coming out which will show that the graphics have changed for better or for worst, but I wouldn't expect anything too dramatic, its probably some modifications to textures or the addition of black outlines for the sprites.

It isn't gonna be something major, since they are already in the localization fase at this stage (Play testing, bug testing and removal, doing the marketing cycles and setting a releasedate for shipping the physical copies).

If they are completely overhauling the graphics, no way BDSP will release in November, since then the localization cycle with play testing, bug testing and removal needs to start all over again.

The shading on the human characters during battles is the only thing bothering me. I actually love how everything else looks. (I mean, the chibi models do look a little awkward in cutscenes when the camera zooms in on them, but the same was true in Gen 6. It's not a dealbreaker.)

The shading on the battle models remind me of ancient fan recolors of official art from circa 1999-2000. , They were super popular back in the day because they took pictures like:

059Arcanine_OS_anime.png

And digitally recolored them. They didn't have any black lines and had a ton of shading to them to make them look 3D. Because of this, a lot of fan sites used them in place of official art because they thought they were real. Sadly, their existence has been purged from the internet.

I know ILCA has their own shaders given the Home models, but a part of me still wishes they'd just port the SWSH ones over for the battle models. Because yeah, those recolors I'm describing, looked just as good as gross.

It isn't gonna be something major, since they are already in the localization fase at this stage (Play testing, bug testing and removal, doing the marketing cycles and setting a releasedate for shipping the physical copies).

If they are completely overhauling the graphics, no way BDSP will release in November, since then the localization cycle with play testing, bug testing and removal needs to start all over again.

I also think it's unlikely that Pokemon would go back on an art style decision after showing it to the public, even if they did have time. There would need to be a Sonic the Hedgehog level of backlash for them to even consider that.

The shading on the battle models remind me of ancient fan recolors of official art from circa 1999-2000. , They were super popular back in the day because they took pictures like:

059Arcanine_OS_anime.png

And digitally recolored them. They didn't have any black lines and had a ton of shading to them to make them look 3D. Because of this, a lot of fan sites used them in place of official art because they thought they were real. Sadly, their existence has been purged from the internet.

I know ILCA has their own shaders given the Home models, but a part of me still wishes they'd just port the SWSH ones over for the battle models. Because yeah, those recolors I'm describing, looked just as good as gross.

Interesting! I've never seen those, I didn't have internet back then. It's a shame if they have disappeared completely because I'd love to see them.

I love the fact that the HOME sprites exist, because it means that we have a consistent set of images of every single Pokemon and form variant... but I'm not too keen on the shading. They look kind of artificial and "plastic-y". I'm hoping that they might all get a fresh coat of paint one day.

Did anyone else see this remaster made by a fan, known on YouTube as MikeLaws? He has a lot of talent! I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say that it looks better than the real game (the real game has more realistic lighting), but I do prefer MikeLaws' take on Dawn's overworld model.

Side-by-side comparison:

The Official Pokémon YouTube channel - Pokémon Presents #Pokemon25 [iTZeVNwAmkk - 853x480 - 16...png
MikeLaws - Pokemon Diamond Pearl Remaster - Early WiP [Y78XtokHiko - 853x480 - 1m25s].png

Edit: This remaster is an "early WiP", so it could well end up looking better than BDSP when it's finished.

Last edited:
Did anyone else see this remaster made by a fan, known on YouTube as MikeLaws? He has a lot of talent! I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say that it looks better than the real game (the real game has more realistic lighting), but I do prefer MikeLaws' take on Dawn's overworld model.

Side-by-side comparison:

View attachment 145861 View attachment 145863

Edit: This remaster is an "early WiP", so it could well end up looking better than BDSP when it's finished.

I personally don't like things like this. It's basically denying the official/real stuff in favor of something that'll never really happen. I recognize the effort put into it, sure, but I'll stick with the official games myself.

I personally don't like things like this. It's basically denying the official/real stuff in favor of something that'll never really happen. I recognize the effort put into it, sure, but I'll stick with the official games myself.

Hmm, good point. There does seem to be an unhealthy "Look how rubbish Game Freak is compared to this!" mentality that springs up around projects like this, whether the animators intended it or not. And there's also the issue of fake leaks - someone apparently made a video of this footage playing on a Nintendo Switch, to try and trick fans into thinking BDSP's graphics had been altered - all without MikeLaws' consent.

Perhaps it would be more positive if fans did animation projects inspired by the real games, rather than as alternatives. For example, someone could do a "What if ILCA remade Black and White?" and re-create Unova in the 3D chibi style.

That graphics demo just shows how fairly simplistic much of Sinnoh was. Lots of the routes in that region used primarily the same rock, grass, tree, road, bridge and water tiles, along with some generic housing and an attraction here and there. Such simplicity has made 2d Pokemon fangames easier to design without going too fancy, even if most merely use the gen 3 tileset.

Cities, of course, are another story entirely, as Gamefreak put quite the effort to make Sinnoh's buildings vary quite a lot - as well as other important attractions. And as a result, you don't really see full on towns in the demo.

Now, if they could somehow modularize the assets of that demo, and make it into a 3d fangame toolkit, that would be pretty cool, as opposed to just be another 'reimagining' of an artstyle. That would probably take quite a lot of work, though, and there's always a danger of getting taken down.

Am I the only one who thinks that the human in battle charaters look a little funky?
Judging by the responses across the forums, there’s definitely several people who don’t like the look of the in-battle models.

I think it's a little bit disrespectful to even be creating stuff like this while the real thing is being made, too. It's like if Rowling was still writing her last book and some fans decided they didn't like what they knew about it so far and decided to write an unofficial seventh book as the "real thing".

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom