• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I've been a little concerned about BDSP being described as 'faithful' remakes, that it would mean an exact remake without incorporating anything from Platinum, or any new features, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if 'faithful' was used to indicate that it'd be another traditional remake instead of getting the Let's Go treatment. I have my concerns, but I'm cautiously optimistic. My only disappointments right now are at the lack of character redesigns, especially since I suspect they won't be implementing character customization. I hope we can at least get LGPE-style customization, with a few different outfits to choose from.

Okay, my opinion:

- I'm on the minority that thinks that chibi gen 6 style is very good and should have stayed like that, so the artstyle is okay imo. But I still wish wasn't like,,, super square-ish and the textures were a bit better.
- It seems like they didn't wanted to change a lot in fear of the fandom getting angry, so I can sorta of see how it's more of a ''remaster'' then a ''remake'' like HGSS and ORAS were.
- I actually really like the colors and how everything doesn't looks dead like in SwSh.
- Barry looks a bit... weird
- This game doesn't looks that bad imo
- I'm still hoping that ''keeping true to the orignals'' doesn't equals ''don't fix the mistakes of DPPt'' like the way HGSS didn't fixed GSC's problems tho.

I agree that chibi gen 6 style was good ... sadly this isn't it. The head to body ratio is all wonky compared to XY or ORAS.

I agree with you about the colors and the lake render we saw was actually pretty cool. It was nice water effect.

Also, as long as I'm here, it's time for my periodic reminder that "Not cutting edge" doesn't mean cheap or intrinsically bad. A lot of people conflate the two when it really isn't the case.

I don't mind the return to chibi models, although I would have preferred something like ORAS.
Honestly, it reminds me of the Story of Seasons : Friends of Mineral town remake, which chose to use a similar chibi style. The overworld and chibi styles are honestly kind of charming.

My main issue is just with the battle models. Lucas, Dawn, and especially Barry look like they're made of plastic. Tbh looking at it a bit closer, it seems like the devs forgot to turn some shaders on or something.

There's still half a year before release, for all we know the models will be a bit different by then? Maybe?

Also with Diamond and Pearl, two games people consider to be the best games of the series, how much can you change without people being mad? You can't change too much or people will say "they changed it, now it sucks". You can't keep things too much the same, or people will say "they didn't change anything, so it sucks."

To be fair, it's not a Let's Go Games but it looks very Let's Go style-ish.

Right now we have too little info on the game to really judge, but no redesigns is a bit of a bummer cause I think Dawn and Lucas are the two protags with the worst designs in the entire franchise and could do with one.

Other than that, I quite like it. It looks a bit rough and unpolished but it's charming. Hopefully they still manage to add some stuff to make it worthwhile.

Statue looks dope though.

Let's Go at least had modern looking graphics and turned out to be decent games. I know the games will be good play wise, but Sinnoh is a region that really does deserve to be seen via modern graphics. It's my favorite region and they've made it appear like its being developed for the Nintendo 64.

I'm interested to see how "faithful" they are when converting the features that relied on the Nintendo DS' second screen to operate (such as making the treats or managing contests.

And ultimately I would have hoped that ME would have been included somehow.

Also with Diamond and Pearl, two games people consider to be the best games of the series, how much can you change without people being mad? You can't change too much or people will say "they changed it, now it sucks". You can't keep things too much the same, or people will say "they didn't change anything, so it sucks."

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the "staying faithful" approach. My anger comes from the fact that BDSP are being labeled as "remakes" when they look like cheap ports. Why couldn't they do this for DP for the 3DS and just stick the games on virtual console? That's just how lowgrade I see these games.

"GF should outsource the games to a different studio that'd be way better and would solve all the problems"
Pokemon is the ultimate monkey's paw.

People demand Sinnoh remakes for years, and when they're finally announced, those same people are disappointed?
I know I, for one, asked for remakes that look hideous. For real, we don't need to be be grateful and gobble everything up just because it resembles something we wanted. Especially when we're expected to pay for them.

The majority of people loved HG/SS. So just do what they did.

'Be grateful you get to spend 60 dollars on 1:1 remakes of DS games.'

Look, I love the original Diamond and Pearl. But I didn't want to play the exact games over again. This might be good for people that never played them, but for people who already have...what is there to offer? The graphics can hardly be called 'better', and as of now, we don't know what sort of improvements, if any, there would be.

If nothing else, I might get these so I can play with my brother and sister, the former wasn't interested in Pokemon when Diamond released, and the latter wasn't even born at the time. I likely won't find this intolerable to play like Sword and Shield, as I can trust it will play like the original.

Truth be told, I think the chibi overworld looks fine - kinda charming, even. But those in-battle scenes look pretty rough.

This is pretty much how I feel. The overworld looks nice (look at the lovely misty haze over Lake Verity, and the sunset ambiance at Valley Windworks) but the battles look more like a mobile game than a Switch game if I'm honest.

Also, although the overworld does look nice, it's so similar to the original overworld that it looks less like a true remake and more like a DS game played on some kind of 3D emulator.

I really want to like these games, and I expect they will grow on me when we see more of them. But there isn't really anything in this initial trailer that makes them look like a better Sinnoh experience than Platinum.

So... what are the odds that they'll keep the original D/P dex
and thus re-inherit the drought of Pokemon n' evolutions till post-game plus Fire-type being an endangered species?

There's a Porygon-Z in the trailer, which could point towards these games using Platinum's Pokedex. Or maybe it'll be the DP Pokedex for the main story, with an expanded Pokedex in the postgame?

Its a shame it looks that way. Really. Its just a remake with bad animal crossing graphics. I wont pay 60 dollars/euros for this.

Summarizing my thoughts here.

I will admit I'm a bit disappointed. I am glad these games are happening, and I think a lot about them look pretty nice. The Pokemon models, the region, they look pretty good. Sure I would prefer my grid-free camera-control Sinnoh remake, but as I mentioned in the remake speculation thread, I can live with this.

The major downside for me is the character models. I would take Let's Go's chibis a million times before I would take these. They just stick out very poorly, even with the region. Something about the colors and shapes they use just feels so off to me.

I do like the names though!

Overall, probably won't be speculating too much on what these games will offer. Honestly, at this point, it's looking like I'll wait for a price drop on them before picking Shining Pearl up. I'll still keep up with any news for it, to see how I feel about it as time goes on.

It's also interesting to see that they have some other studios working on main series Pokemon games. I wonder what this could mean for the future of the series.

'Be grateful you get to spend 60 dollars on 1:1 remakes of DS games.'

Look, I love the original Diamond and Pearl. But I didn't want to play the exact games over again. This might be good for people that never played them, but for people who already have...what is there to offer? The graphics can hardly be called 'better', and as of now, we don't know what sort of improvements, if any, there would be.

If nothing else, I might get these so I can play with my brother and sister, the former wasn't interested in Pokemon when Diamond released, and the latter wasn't even born at the time. I likely won't find this intolerable to play like Sword and Shield, as I can trust it will play like the original.
THIS IS SO TRUE

I agree that chibi gen 6 style was good ... sadly this isn't it. The head to body ratio is all wonky compared to XY or ORAS.

I agree with you about the colors and the lake render we saw was actually pretty cool. It was nice water effect.

Also, as long as I'm here, it's time for my periodic reminder that "Not cutting edge" doesn't mean cheap or intrinsically bad. A lot of people conflate the two when it really isn't the case.
The proportion being ''2 heads'' didn't really worked. They should've done it in ''3 heads'' like XY and ORAS.

I think they might be keeping the new forms for Dialga and Palkia a secret.

Yeah, I assume they would have shown the cover(art)s if it was just regular Dialga and Palkia. I assume that's also why tehy only showed gameplay from early routes to not let loose anything 'new'.

HGSS are how remakes should be done. The distortion world and Giratina is the perfect post-game episode.. but no, we are getting "remakes" that will look good on a Blackberry.

If remakes mean not fix the core gameplay issues that glare at you, then sure, HGSS is what you are supposed to do for a remake.

I think it's time we wake up and accept HGSS really isn't that good in being an actual remake fixing stuff like we all pretend it is.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom