• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

While I'm not happy at the prospect of these games keeping flaws from the original DP that were fixed by Platinum, I can understand why TPCi opted for extreme faithfulness to the original Diamond and Pearl for quite a few reasons:
  1. It's a new studio. They might not be aware of the improvements that Platinum made and assumed Diamond and Pearl were pretty much the same in comparison to Platinum. I can't really blame the team for that.
  2. The studio might have been told by TPCi to just use the originals as a base instead of Platinum because of their thoughts on extra content. Remember, the philosophy that TPCi and Game Freak have seems to be that their target demographic isn't interested in lengthy experiences due to shorter attention spans; the expanded Sinnoh Pokédex, the Battle Frontier, the Distortion World, etc. are all things that extended the gameplay of the original DP.
  3. No matter what was going to happen regarding any changes with the remakes, people were going to be disappointed with the direction such changes would have in order to deliver a more modernized and streamlined gaming experience, especially if they changed the environments too much. Having the games be faithful eliminates the possibility of screwing things up too much by playing it safe.
  4. A lot of the development likely went towards other projects in regards to both the new studio and TPCi (especially since a lot budget and effort seems to have gone into Legends instead), so BDSP probably wasn't that much of a priority. In all likelihood, they probably only did the remakes because people kept bringing it up and hyping "SInnoh confirmed!" just like the reasoning for creating ORAS was due to all the "Hoenn confirmed!" memes.
  5. As for why it might seem to be mostly a graphical update of DP rather a port, the dual screen nature of original Sinnoh games likely prevented straight up ports from even happening. Plus, the updated graphics and the renaming of DP probably allows for a greater amount of profit than simple ports would.
Given the circumstances, I can definitely see why BDSP seems to be more of a remaster than a remake. I might not be completely happy about it, but it's a lot more understandable to me than the other decisions made by TPCi starting in the 3D era.

I think I'm gonna get Shining Pearl because even though I like Dialga more than Palkia I think Brilliant Diamond sounds kind of dumb.

I do think they'll leave HMs consigned to the wastebin of history. Not sure what their solution this time will be, but I feel pretty confident in saying that the old way is dead forever. Remember, the original DP were the games where Game Freak finally realized how shit HMs and one-use TMs were. I think those are lessons that they took to heart.

On another note, I am very curious as to how different this new studio's approach will be from what we're accustomed to.

(I wonder if it'll have the old Megas, though - LGPE did, and there are many Mega-capable Pokémon in the Sinnoh Dex.)

Also, to wit: Assuming we have the Platinum Dex (which I think we will), the Mega-capable Pokémon in question here would be Alakazam, Gyarados, Steelix, Heracross, Lopunny, Gengar, Medicham, Garchomp, Lucario, Abomasnow, Gardevoir, Gallade, Altaria, Houndoom, Scizor, Glalie, and Absol. That's a pretty good chunk of Megas to showcase. And there could even be a few more I think, considering the Pokémon that only became available in the post-game of the originals.

back_to_sinnoh__by_siplick_deex69v-fullview.jpg

Siplick (DeviantArt)

I can't help but see in the announcement that the games will pull a Link's Awakening HD: Not only are they faithful to the originals, that they literally are a clone of the original games, only in HD graphics. I really hope I'm wrong, but the art style of making more scaled models to the overworld, and the fact that they're outsourcing another studio to do this are not helpful.

It's a new studio. They might not be aware of the improvements that Platinum made and assumed Diamond and Pearl were pretty much the same in comparison to Platinum. I can't really blame the team for that.
Masuda is involved with the remake, though. In this case I don't think it's a matter of ILCA not doing their research. Also, if a team fails to research the 3rd version of a game series they're remaking, that's slightly concerning, ngl.

A lot of the development likely went towards other projects in regards to both the new studio and TPCi (especially since a lot budget and effort seems to have gone into Legends instead), so BDSP probably wasn't that much of a priority. In all likelihood, they probably only did the remakes because people kept bringing it up and hyping "SInnoh confirmed!" just like the reasoning for creating ORAS was due to all the "Hoenn confirmed!" memes.
This is probably the most likely explanation on why any of this is like it is. At least, I think it's the most plausible one...

I hope the gen 5 remakes won't use this artstyle! :lapras:

Ugh, but they probably will... :annoyedVoltorb:

Interesting how there is a separate game that is also a prequel. Maybe they should have just skipped the remakes and focused on these. They both look a little bit weird tbh.

I must admit I have never been the biggest fan of DP's plot but there is a lot of interesting lore. Maybe there is actually a real reason why the Gen 4 protagonist can catch "God" since they might be related to the protagonists from the prequel. I guess that answers that age-old question lol.

People demand Sinnoh remakes for years, and when they're finally announced, those same people are disappointed?
I'm really not. I'm in multiple fandoms; believe me when I say that a company could offer their fans something completely perfect and there would be fans complaining it wasn't perfect enough.

Me? I'm good with this. The chibi overworld was a little jarring at first, but once I realized the aesthetic they were going for, I was fine with it. The one thing that disappoints me is the lack of Megas; I really want them back. But other than that, I'm good with this.

Can't wait to grab my Chimchar and go on an adventure.

Masuda is involved with the remake, though. In this case I don't think it's a matter of IPCA not doing their research. Also, if a team fails to research the 3rd version of a game series they're remaking, that's slightly concerning, ngl.
Then point #2 probably has more to do with the lack of Platinum improvements then. It kind of makes me worried about the lack of Platinum improvements even more given Masuda's mobile-gamer mindset/focus as of late.

Oh, and I just thought of a sixth reason for wanting BDSP to be faithful to the original DP; to enforce the concept of Dexit and encourage Pokémon Home use :eek:.

I have to be honest, I was really disappointed with how 2006 the games looked. At least in the overworld. We've come a long way in terms of graphical advances, that I was hoping we'd get the game in the SwSh style.

That said, I am definitely going to play this game.

Then point #2 probably has more to do with the lack of Platinum improvements then. It kind of makes me worried about the lack of Platinum improvements even more given Masuda's mobile-gamer mindset/focus as of late.

Oh, and I just thought of a sixth reason for wanting BDSP to be faithful to the original DP; to enforce the concept of Dexit and encourage Pokémon Home use :eek:.
Masuda's way of directing isnt my favorite tbh

"GF should outsource the games to a different studio that'd be way better and would solve all the problems"
Honestly, as disappointed as I am currently with BDSP, I do think this is a smart decision because it presumably frees up the developers at GameFreak and allows them to take on more ambitious projects such as Legends.

Honestly, as disappointed as I am currently with BDSP, I do think this is a smart decision because it presumably frees up the developers at GameFreak and allows them to take on more ambitious projects such as Legends.

Oh for sure, I just think the monkey's paw-ness of it is funny. Different studio takes on the trad DPmakes, "they're ugly" - meanwhile, GF's over here making the bold new SinnOTW game.

Honestly, it reminds me of the Story of Seasons : Friends of Mineral town remake, which chose to use a similar chibi style. The overworld and chibi styles are honestly kind of charming.
Aw man, someone brought up the Friends of Mineral Town remake before I did lol. That was honestly my first thought seeing the overworld models, and I played a lot of SoS:FoMT so maybe that's why I'm not too bothered by it.

In all honesty, even though it caught me off-guard, I think the direction they chose to take with BDSP is fine. It seems like more of a "remaster" than a full on "remake" to me right now... but since we're getting a whole open world prequel with Legends pretty soon after, I'm more than alright with that. The Link's Awakening remake/Breath of the Wild comparisons definitely hit the nail on the head. I'll admit the battle models and lighting do look really... odd but I'm just gonna attribute that to it being pre-release footage, hopefully.

I'll cry if they don't put in the Platinum dex though. I want my boy Gliscor.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom