• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Then point #2 probably has more to do with the lack of Platinum improvements then. It kind of makes me worried about the lack of Platinum improvements even more given Masuda's mobile-gamer mindset/focus as of late.

Having some more Pokémon available isn't really what Masuda was ever talking about when referring to that, though. (I mean, just look at ORAS, the games "affected" by that - they massively expanded the number of Pokémon available compared to RSE.)

Like, I guarantee you won't see the Battle Frontier here, but for the most part what Masuda was saying was that the games need to be faster and more convenient since phones are such an enticing gaming alternative for many people. The idea is that the Pokémon games need to keep up the pace. If a game turns out to be a frustrating slog, kids will just leave and play something else.

Faithful remakes

I feel so sorry for Mime Jr and MR Mime. They were finally viable due to their Fairy typing, which they are now gonna lose (If they keep Fairy, they aren't faithful remakes, meaning that statement is a lie).

"Faithful" doesn't have to mean a 100% identical clone, it just means retaining the overall structure and spirit of the originals

Just a very minor, random question. Why did they announce these today instead of waiting until the actual 25th anniversary date tomorrow?
The Presents went live at midnight in Japan, so it is the 25th Anniversary already :)

"GF should outsource the games to a different studio that'd be way better and would solve all the problems"
In all fairness, Coliseum, XD Gale of Darkness, and Revolution were quite great visually. The right studio can produce great results.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it's nice to see that after all this time DP remakes are real. I was actually starting to doubt it. However, at the same time, these remakes are feeling like everything I was dreading about DP remakes. That they'll be super faithful to the originals and omit things like Platinum dex Mons and have the same bare-bones story. Along with the fact we're back to rather ugly chibi models and only random encounters. While this Legends or whatever will probably be more akin to what everyone wants in a Pokemon game, I'm a bit concerned about these remakes. They almost feel like a Let's Go game, and that really makes me uneasy about them. I guess only time will tell. Maybe it's just the pre-release shots and it'll improve over time. I hope that's the case.

This whole situation reminds me when everyone shamed Wind Waker when it was released. I'm always hesitant to bash a games art style because a lot of times overly cartoonish graphics often age the best and end up being endeared overtime.

A lot of the development likely went towards other projects in regards to both the new studio and TPCi (especially since a lot budget and effort seems to have gone into Legends instead), so BDSP probably wasn't that much of a priority. In all likelihood, they probably only did the remakes because people kept bringing it up and hyping "SInnoh confirmed!" just like the reasoning for creating ORAS was due to all the "Hoenn confirmed!" memes.

If this is the case then it makes me sad that they don't have the passion for remaking the older games. But oh well, c'est la vie.

Faithful remakes

I feel so sorry for Mime Jr and MR Mime. They were finally viable due to their Fairy typing, which they are now gonna lose (If they keep Fairy, they aren't faithful remakes, meaning that statement is a lie).
Why do people STILL think that Pokémon remakes won't include Fairy? Were there seriously people who thought FRLG wouldn't have Dark, Steel, and the special split back before they were released?

This is pretty much how I feel. The overworld looks nice (look at the lovely misty haze over Lake Verity, and the sunset ambiance at Valley Windworks) but the battles look more like a mobile game than a Switch game if I'm honest.

Also, although the overworld does look nice, it's so similar to the original overworld that it looks less like a true remake and more like a DS game played on some kind of 3D emulator.

I really want to like these games, and I expect they will grow on me when we see more of them. But there isn't really anything in this initial trailer that makes them look like a better Sinnoh experience than Platinum.

There's a Porygon-Z in the trailer, which could point towards these games using Platinum's Pokedex. Or maybe it'll be the DP Pokedex for the main story, with an expanded Pokedex in the postgame?

I don't know if Porygon-Z is indicative to anything since you could still get it in DP

And Game Freak must have something in BDSP so people don't skip it in favour of Legends Arceus. Right? Maybe them calling it a faithful.tdmaje was so people know it's a traditional one unlike Legends or LG.

Imagine if Mega Evolution is in the game? Oof! If that is the case, Cynthia will be a tougher fight thanks to Mega Garchomp.

Doubt it. I think having Mega's (Or any other post-Unova battle gimmick) in the game will shy to far away from the faithfull remakes argument they are making. Aside from that, looking at the platinum dex for available current Mega's
Alakazam
Gyarados
Steelix
Heracross
Gengar
Garchomp
Lucario
Abomasnow
Gallade
Altaria
Gardevoir
Scizor
Glalie
Lopunny

Thats not a lot of Mega's honestly. 30 Mega's will be missing, meaning Gamefreak needs to make at least 30 more Megas for mons that are in the Sinnoh dex. From those, only the starters, Golem, Machamp and Froslass are likely.

I’m not a fan of the art style and the “faithful” label, but as long as the gameplay is good, I probably won’t notice it much.

I’m lamenting the loss of overworld Pokémon mostly.

I’m really hoping that the presence of Porygon-Z points to them at least making QoL improvements to the originals with an expanded Dex, removal of HMs, auto-repels, etc.

Doubting that very many Pokémon that weren’t in at least Platinum will be in the game at all. Also doubting there will be any new forms or Pokémon in this game.

REALLY hope that at least they include abilities, held items, and moves from gens 5-8.

Yeah y'all are really overreacting on what "faithful" means. Like Esserise said, the ORAS approach is the most likely to happen here, the same story as DP, but they'll keep typings, Megas could POSSIBLY come back (the game looks a lot like LGPE), hopefully they'll give us the Platinum Dex improvements.

Having some more Pokémon available isn't really what Masuda was ever talking about when referring to that, though. (I mean, just look at ORAS, the games "affected" by that - they massively expanded the number of Pokémon available compared to RSE.)

Like, I guarantee you won't see the Battle Frontier here, but for the most part what Masuda was saying was that the games need to be faster and more convenient since phones are such an enticing gaming alternative for many people. The idea is that the Pokémon games need to keep up the pace. If a game turns out to be a frustrating slog, kids will just leave and play something else.
That's just one example. The point I was trying to make is that, as you said, Masuda's statement was in regards to their target demographic favoring more speedy gameplay. Most of Platinum's improvements pad out the gameplay. Therefore, omitting them would fit in with Masuda's "fast pace" idea in regards to what he thinks the target demographic is like.

Faithful remakes

They can't take Fairy type away that's dumb.
Keep in mind that even the Let's Go! games, which tried to be as strictly faithful with their Pokémon roster as possible (with the exception of the Mythical Pokémon Meltan and Melmetal), still kept the Dark, Steel, and Fairy types. Thus, there is no reason to fear that Game Freak will remove the Fairy typing just because DP didn't have it. Can't say what this means for Galarian Mr. Mime + Mr. Rime or the Galarian Ponyta line, but the Let's Go games having Alolan Forms in them at least gives regional variants some hope of getting in.

I'm rather disappointed with the look, but am willing to give them a chance and will certainly end up getting at least one of them. I replayed Platinum towards the end of last year, so it'll be fun to do Sinnoh again on the Switch.

My biggest fear, though, is they'll pull a Let's Go and relegate it to Gen IV and prior Pokemon. One thing I've enjoyed with the remakes is the ability to bring and play with newer Pokemon in an older region.

"These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series, plus up-close-and-personal Pokémon battle scenes."

The former part of the statement concerns me. I really hope they don't dumb down the difficulty the originals had; I still remember the losses I suffered from Cynthia and her infernal Garchomp as a kid before finally managing to pull off a well-deserved win.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom