• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Doubt it. I think having Mega's (Or any other post-Unova battle gimmick) in the game will shy to far away from the faithfull remakes argument they are making. Aside from that, looking at the platinum dex for available current Mega's
Alakazam
Gyarados
Steelix
Heracross
Gengar
Garchomp
Lucario
Abomasnow
Gallade
Altaria
Gardevoir
Scizor
Glalie
Lopunny

Thats not a lot of Mega's honestly. 30 Mega's will be missing, meaning Gamefreak needs to make at least 30 more Megas for mons that are in the Sinnoh dex. From those, only the starters, Golem, Machamp and Froslass are likely.

You forgot Absol and Medicham, for a total of 16.

Also, that's just about as many as LGPE had:

1. Venusaur
2. Charizard X
3. Charizard Y
4. Blastoise
5. Beedrill
6. Pidgeot
7. Alakazam
8. Slowbro
9. Gengar
10. Kangaskhan
11. Pinsir
12. Gyarados
13. Aerodactyl
14. Mewtwo X
15. Mewtwo Y

That's just one example. The point I was trying to make is that, as you said, Masuda's statement was in regards to their target demographic favoring more speedy gameplay. Most of Platinum's improvements pad out the gameplay. Therefore, omitting them would fit in with Masuda's "fast pace" idea in regards to what he thinks the target demographic is like.

What Platinum additions would you say were padding?

"These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series, plus up-close-and-personal Pokémon battle scenes."

The former part of the statement concerns me. I really hope they don't dumb down the difficulty the originals had; I still remember the losses I suffered from Cynthia and her infernal Garchomp as a kid before finally managing to pull off a well-deserved win.

I THINK and hope that what that means is that they'll keep the QOL improvements that recent games have had like no HMs and whatnot. Hopefully also means they'll keep some of the improvements from Platinium like the improved Pokemon selection. MAYBE they'll have a way to get exp candies so those like me who hate grinding don't have to.

"These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series, plus up-close-and-personal Pokémon battle scenes."

The former part of the statement concerns me. I really hope they don't dumb down the difficulty the originals had; I still remember the losses I suffered from Cynthia and her infernal Garchomp as a kid before finally managing to pull off a well-deserved win.
I think that not only does this mean the return of the Exp.All, but also other things like reusable TMs and possibly the absence of HMs.

We haven't seen much of the gameplay so the only thing we can say about the remakes being faithful is just the graphics.

We saw Porygon Z in the trailer which probably means the Platinum dex is back. Already something which is not faithful to the originals. The graphics being like that could also mean more content as an equalizer. GF isn't developing the game so there's hope for extra content.

Last edited:
I think that not only does this mean the return of the Exp.All, but also other things like reusable TMs and possibly the absence of HMs.
Oh. oh no. oh please no. I do not want that EXP All; I had forgotten about it until you reminded me. That is one thing I hope they stay faithful towards. Or at least, please, make it optional rather than forced. I really do not want to be overleveled halfway into the games.

I think that they could even add Pokemon too the Sinnoh dex, Sylveon in particular. If the other regional variants are accessible then Mr. Rime will also be added. Ditto will also be added, as it is needed in order to obtain Phione.

I THINK and hope that what that means is that they'll keep the QOL improvements that recent games have had like no HMs and whatnot. Hopefully also means they'll keep some of the improvements from Platinium like the improved Pokemon selection. MAYBE they'll have a way to get exp candies so those like me who hate grinding don't have to.
Abscense of HMs and no grinding are my only wishes. That's pretty much why I don't really like replaying Sinnoh. It's tedious in this aspect.

Masuda is involved with the remake, though. In this case I don't think it's a matter of ILCA not doing their research. Also, if a team fails to research the 3rd version of a game series they're remaking, that's slightly concerning, ngl.

This is probably the most likely explanation on why any of this is like it is. At least, I think it's the most plausible one...

I think the only reason for BDSP is to bring the originals to the Switch since you can't just port them

I think that they could even add Pokemon too the Sinnoh dex, Sylveon in particular. If the other regional variants are accessible then Mr. Rime will also be added. Ditto will also be added, as it is needed in order to obtain Phione.
Sylveon will be in 100%. Eevee is in the og dex and got two evolutions there. Keeping one of them out is just dumb. And I do think Mr. Rime will. I mean, a Ice version of a mon that already exists in Sinnoh? The coldest region? Figures.

Here's another thing to keep in mind: They don't even have a box art revealed yet. I wouldn't be surprised it would be like Sun and Moon's case and have the box arts being revealed much later in the year.
I don't think that they'll do that unless the Dialga and Palkia are getting new forms.

Oh. oh no. oh please no. I do not want that EXP All; I had forgotten about it until you reminded me. That is one thing I hope they stay faithful towards. Or at least, please, make it optional rather than forced. I really do not want to be overleveled halfway into the games.
To me, this is more a lack of balance thing rather than a problem with the Exp all system. All Exp All does is remove the grind. Without it, some people *cough*myself*cough* would have one high level and a ton of baby levels by mid-game.

Just saw the trailers and gotta say, I'm severely disappointed. Not only they kept the chibi style, but also the same designs and maps (seemingly).

Not only that, quoted the official English website:

The original story has been faithfully reproduced, and the sense of scale in the originals’ towns and routes has been carefully preserved. People who played Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl can revisit familiar places and relive familiar scenes once more.

This gives me the bad impression that's a 1:1 version of the originals, maybe even closer than FireRed\LeafGreen was to Red and Green.

Well, at least Legends Arceus seems much more interesting, bummer it's a 2022 release.

Just saw the trailers and gotta say, I'm severely disappointed. Not only they kept the chibi style, but also the same designs and maps (seemingly).

Not only that, quoted the official English website:

The original story has been faithfully reproduced, and the sense of scale in the originals’ towns and routes has been carefully preserved. People who played Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl can revisit familiar places and relive familiar scenes once more.

This gives me the bad impression that's a 1:1 version of the originals, maybe even closer than FireRed\LeafGreen was to Red and Green.

Well, at least Legends Arceus seems much more interesting, bummer it's a 2022 release.
And they also copy pasted Lucas and Dawn's designs.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom