• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Nah, back in X/Y, the experience was evenly given 100% to all the pokemon that particated in battle, instead of 1/2 or 1/3, etc. In Sword/Shield, experience was even given to pokemon that didn't participate in battle, but at a lesser %.

It was buffed in SwSh, but the architecture has been there for a while, so I think it's clear that they've been trending in this direction for some time out of their own volition. Not because of GO.

Sorry but these remakes look crappy as heck to me. I was expecting graphics closer to ShSw or at least something LGPE-esque but aside from the battle graphics all I'm seeing is an underwhelming mess. Why did Gamefreak make the overworld character graphics look squished? Why does everything look so small and barely better than the DS overworld graphics? Like come on, this is the best they could do with Switch technology?

Also please spare me the 'it's just one trailer!!!!' excuse. The one trailer showed me exactly what the graphics will look like so I'm not going to wait for further info about that.

Also, looks like there will be some stuff from Platinium, as some NPC in Floroma was apparently in PT but not DP (haven't played the originals since I was a kid so wouldn't know). So there is hope there.

Well of course they would have to include that lady I mean how else would we get the Key Item that changes Shaymin's form? But that doesn't imply that they're going to include all the Platinum features. I don't even think they'll include the updated Sinnoh Dex and no Porygon-Z appearing in the trailer isn't proof that they will; we've seen many instances of Pokemon game trailers giving misleading implications about Dex inclusions in the past.

Apparently necessary reminder that GameFreak is not developing this game besides Masuda helping with it.

Also yes that pic doesn't mean everything from Platinium will be there but it is a sign that stuff from Platinum MAY be there. Never said it was a certainty.

Last edited:
I get it to an extent because even I was disappointed at first and I'm usually easily satisfied with Pokemon, at least compared to others here. But after letting it sit for a while I do think we need to calm down and wait for more info. Some people are taking the "faithful" thing insanely literally or immediately assuming that there's going to be nothing new in these games, and we just don't know that yet.

Also, looks like there will be some stuff from Platinium, as some NPC in Floroma was apparently in PT but not DP (haven't played the originals since I was a kid so wouldn't know). So there is hope there.

If they make Shaymin available for battle/capture like they did with Deoxys in these games then that would be great.

Also please spare me the 'it's just one trailer!!!!' excuse. The one trailer showed me exactly what the graphics will look like so I'm not going to wait for further info about that.
The one trailer argument is for the content, not for the graphics, those can't really be saved.

Well of course they would have to include that lady I mean how else would we get the Key Item that changes Shaymin's form?

It's definitely far from conclusive of anything major, but with the way some people have been interpreting the word "faithful" with 4000% literality, it's probably at least worth pointing out before anyone starts to wring their hands about these games not including Sky Forme just because it wasn't in DP.

Also, while I'm at it (and this is aimed at no one in particular), the page on the Nintendo site says things like:

> "Experience the nostalgic story from the Pokémon Pearl Version game in a reimagined adventure, Pokémon™ Shining Pearl, now on the Nintendo Switch™ system!"

> "The Pokémon™ Shining Pearl game brings a fresh take and enhanced features to this remade classic"

> "The original story and the scale of the Sinnoh region’s towns and routes have been faithfully reproduced. This remake has also been revitalized with some of the player-friendly features of modern Pokémon games and up-close-and-personal Pokémon battle scenes."

(Also note how it says that it's the story and map scale have been "faithfully reproduced." Not literally all aspects of the game. There are changes, it's just not going to be fundamentally different from DP in the way that Legends: Arceus is. People who want a more adventurous, experimental game experience will have to wait for that one.)

Last edited:
Hopefully ILCA can reveal their reasoning behind the names, because I'm not a big fan tbh. Meanwhile that art style is certainly...interesting, I expected something closer to SwSh ngl.

I mean, the one and only trailer we have doesn't really show a whole lot, aside from battles and some overworld stuff. I think future trailers might show new/improved features.
Yeah reveal trailers are more like announcements that a game exists. We'll get info on new mechanics/features in the coming months.

I just wish I knew WHY they decided to go with the chibi art. Like, what's the mentality behind that design choice.
I'm a bit curious as well. I'd have to wonder whether ILCA was inspired by the Link's Awakening remake to use a chibi art style, albeit with their own spin.

Last edited:
I was so looking forward to Sinnoh remakes but meh these don't look good unless there's going to be alot of upgrades to the story but the fact that Lucas and Dawn still have their old designs doesn't make me think that the games will be that special. I really hate how small the characters look running around. :(

Man idk I'm excited for these games...Diamond and Pearl were the first truly new games I played when I got back into Pokemon (technically LeafGreen was the first but that was a remake of the first Pokemon game I ever played so it wasn't really a new experience) so I have a lot of nostalgia for them despite not being my favorites, and it'll be fun to experience them again in a new way. I can understand why people wouldn't like the artstyle but tbh it doesn't bother me, I'm sure I'll enjoy the game regardless.

Thought I’d mention this for shits and giggles. It’s probably wayy off base and nonsensical, but I did see at the beginning of the trailer the time on the Pokétch said “09:28” so maybe we’re looking at a tentative September 28th release date?
Edit: And yes, I know non-western countries put dates in different order. Like I said, just wanted to point out the detail just in case.

I think I was perhaps being a bit harsh when I said the battle graphics looked like a mobile game. On closer inspection there's some nice details, like Mt Coronet in the background, and the pretty stars overhead when battling at night. There's just something about the shading that seems a little "off" to me. But I'm glad to see Pokemon using brighter colours again, because that's one of the things I really liked about Let's Go's graphics.

Pokemon has never really been about the graphics for me, anyway. If the game is fun to play, I'll like it. The "easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series" might be enough to satisfy me, even if not much else has changed. Sinnoh is actually the one region where I'd welcome a decrease in difficulty. I lost interest in trying to beat the Elite Four in Pearl, and ended up "cheating" by trading over my stronger Pokemon from SoulSilver to finish the job. Searching for Heart Scales in the Underground so I can relearn moves is another aspect of the original games I won't miss.

The inclusion, or not, of the Distortion World is probably going to be the make-or-break for me.

Thought I’d mention this for shits and giggles. It’s probably wayy off base and nonsensical, but I did see at the beginning of the trailer the time on the Pokétch said “09:28” so maybe we’re looking at a tentative September 28th release date?
The Japanese trailer mentions Winter, so no. Probably the usual late November date.

While the chibi-like models looked passable in XY and kinda charming in Let’s Go, these look just... awkward. They seem weirdly chonky and cramped up like a low resolution file. The battle also seems oddly claustrophobic in how the pokemon are viewed from a mid height angle.

Sinnoh looks beautiful however, and it seems like it can at least be fun. We just got a teaser here, so I’ll save any solid opinion until we learn if this is an adaptation to modern mechanics or just Mewtwo Evolution:The Game.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom