• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I believe the very first SwSh trailer only had random encounters too
But honestly, how would the overworld encounters even work in this scale? SWSH at least had a rotating camera in the Wild Area and the scale was a lot better for this. How can we even see the Pokémon in the grass lol?

They could have at least given dawn some friggin pants. (*I am a salty sally today, forgive me. I was expecting a game to come in the mail today and it still hasn't yet so I am grouchy at everything*) Comparing her battle model with her Masters model and ugh it looks like they flared her shirt out so it'll be even easier to look up her not-a-dress. You can't convince me that's a dress. That's just a slightly long shirt that covers enough to be okay for kids. I'll take painting her legs black instead of actually modeling pants but for real Dawn's outfit is the WORST.

While I'm not a fan of Link's Awakening's Art Style either at least it looks like it has a theme for the whole world. BDSP just looks like 'squish everyone down' and looks like they saw the nendoroid things and said "but what if we smash them a little more?" While the battle models look like they could have fit in with Gamefreak's first attempt at 3D models before even X and Y, this third party developer's work looks just that.. third party at best. At worst it looks like one of those Chinese knock off phone games.

Well, being a faithful remake and having Porygon-Z shown in the trailer actually gives me hope that the National Pokédex comes back. I mean, Professor Oak shows up at the end to give you a National Dex, and the official site said the original story would be faithfully reproduced, so yeah, THE NATIONAL POKEDEX IS FINALLY BACK!!!

Feeling really weird about actually guessing one of the two titles... I predicted Rising Diamond and Shining Pearl (rise & shine).

Brilliant & Shining is... a weird choice. They have no real lore or pun behind them beyond “these are terms used to describe these things”. Honestly though, that’s pretty fitting for how lackluster they look. Like really, they look really really cheap. SMH

I actually don't mind the overworld graphics at all, I like that they kind of feel like toys moving around.

It's been mentioned in this thread before, but those concerned about HMs and the like should remember this line from the official site:
These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series
The "faithfulness" that they mention seems to be in reference to story and maps-
The original story has been faithfully reproduced, and the sense of scale in the originals’ towns and routes has been carefully preserved.
Which makes me sad, because it probably means no story updates, but I'm hoping for other improvements to see!
Well I have to say one thing: I was not expecting mass graphics complaints on a Nintendo board, let alone a Pokemon one. I'd expect that more from the other consoles or PC side of things.
You must have been gone from the SwSh discussion lol, graphics complaints became the hot new thing then.
  1. It's a new studio. They might not be aware of the improvements that Platinum made and assumed Diamond and Pearl were pretty much the same in comparison to Platinum. I can't really blame the team for that.
I would definitely blame a development team for just making assumptions about a game they remade rather than just looking up what the differences are. Bulbapedia has a whole section on that, they could just read from there.
"These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series, plus up-close-and-personal Pokémon battle scenes."

The former part of the statement concerns me. I really hope they don't dumb down the difficulty the originals had; I still remember the losses I suffered from Cynthia and her infernal Garchomp as a kid before finally managing to pull off a well-deserved win.
I wouldn't really consider easy difficulty a player convenience, I'm pretty sure this is more about quality of life stuff than anything else.
Back in 2016 I thought it was cool how popular Pokemon was again thanks to Pokemon Go, but now I wish I could go back in time and stop it from ever coming out. All it seems to have done is derail the franchise and make everything convoluted.
How so?
Yup. Look what Pokemon Go fans effected on Sword/Shield.

-Final starters are all single-elemented.
-Battle tower has no restrictions on any legendary/mythical pokemon.
-Exp. share for all pokemon on team.
I sincerely doubt that Game Freak decided to make starters single-type just because of Go fans lmao. (Remember, two of the three Kanto starters were dual-types in their final evolution- it's not like "casuals" would struggle that hard with it) The EXP All also goes back to Gen 1, so you can't really say that's a new thing dreamt up for Go fans. And allowing more Pokemon into battle facilities is hardly the end of the world- if you don't like it, just don't use them. It's not like there's leaderboard rankings getting swept by legendary teams now.
most certainly don't have any pokemon from past gen4,
A little soon to call that, isn't it?

The EXP All also goes back to Gen 1, so you can't really say that's a new thing dreamt up for Go fans.
This is not what I meant at all. You're going to have to re-interpret my argument if you want to continue this discussion.

And allowing more Pokemon into battle facilities is hardly the end of the world- if you don't like it, just don't use them. It's not like there's leaderboard rankings getting swept by legendary teams now.
Did you put me to add an argument I didn't add, and then counter-it?

Literally my only hope is that these have a more Platinum-like roster because I don't want to have just Chimchar and Ponyta lines as options if I wanna use a Fire-type...
We already know some elements from Platinum are there.

CentroLeaks posted screens of a girl that only existed in Platinum in Floroama Town, and she was in the trailer this morning. The Gracidia Flower girl. So this is a mix with Platinum yes.

I wonder if the battles and training overall will stay the same. If Roark is still the first gym leader, then his ace is still Cranidos.

With base 125 attack, right?

Hopefully leveling up isn't too difficult.

Even the names lack effort, plenty of the fan names have more thought and effort put into them.

We started off basic, Fire was Red and Leaves are Green.
Then we got a little more elaborate with hearts of gold (a common phrase) and the silver souls were added on to match I guess. Plus the designs of ho oh and lugia as a heart and a soul.
The best remake names were OmegaRuby Alpha Sapphire, both linking into the story elements of beginning and end, and pairing with XY both in terms of Life/Death and also XY were letters, Omega/Alpha are greek letters.

But Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl? They're even more basic than FRLG, and Brilliant and Shining aren't even really related to each other and don't really describe Diamonds and pearls. I mean Shining Diamond could've possibly worked, "shine bright like a diamond" or ok then Bright DIamond even.

What's next? DarkBlack LightWhite? No even that would be better as Dark and Light actually fit with Black and White. It has to be even more basic than that, how's about Really Black, and Very White?

I guess they’re going the link’s awakening route with their graphics. Personally I’m not against the chibi sttle, but graphically the game does look pretty rough/unpolished. I do like that it looks more vibrant though. I hope it gets better in later versions and they add more QOL improvements.

Honestly I’m wasn’t super into the idea of DP remakes in the first place. But Legends tho, oh yeah.

One thing I'm curious about, will you be able to trade with Sword and Shield? The trailer confirmed that the Union Room is back, which hasn't been seen since Generation V. Sword and Shield used the Y-Comm.

This is not what I meant at all. You're going to have to re-interpret my argument if you want to continue this discussion.
Instead of accusing me of acting in bad faith, why not just clarify your point?
Did you put me to add an argument I didn't add, and then counter-it?
I'm responding to this argument of yours:
Yup. Look what Pokemon Go fans effected on Sword/Shield.

-Battle tower has no restrictions on any legendary/mythical pokemon.
I'm arguing that there's no major issue that comes from removing these restrictions. I don't see what you mean by "add an argument I didn't add".
Personally, I thought the remakes were going to be named 'Adamant Diamond' and 'Lustrous Pearl', in reference to Dialga and Palkia's key items. Oh well, so much for being imaginative.
That only works for English, though, other translations use different names for them. (And they're held items, not key items)

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom