• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Quick PSA
Hi friends,

For the time being, let’s please drop the topic of Pokémon GO. It’s only very marginally related to the games in the first place and it certainly doesn’t warrant pages of heated discussion.

Moving forward, let’s make sure our arguments or debates are made in good faith, try to keep level heads, and disengage or use the Report feature instead of replying more when things are getting heated.

That’s all! Now back to your regularly scheduled BDSP talk.
-Current Events Staff

What if the Delta Episode ended the original Remake timeline and LGPE is in it's own pocket timeline.

What if BDSP is the start of a new remake timeline where it's literally just near 1:1 remakes but with updated stats and better online connectivity?

Gamefreak knows switch isn't a mobile device or a handheld right? The closest link this game has is the Zelda game that was released, and that game sold terribly because no one wants to play a chibi mobile format game on a home console. I hope they won't be surprised when this game only sells between 6-8 million instead of the 20 million plus had it looked like an actual game.

Gamefreak knows switch isn't a mobile device or a handheld right? The closest link this game has is the Zelda game that was released, and that game sold terribly because no one wants to play a chibi mobile format game on a home console. I hope they won't be surprised when this game only sells between 6-8 million instead of the 20 million plus had it looked like an actual game.
GameFreak didn’t develop this game.

GameFreak didn’t develop this game.

Masuda is leading the game, so there is some Gamefreak involvement. Regardless, if this were a $20 game, I wouldn't mind it. I would be annoyed because they wasted a sinnoh remake on this, but at least it would be worth it. But I don't see how anyone can look at this and think it's worth $60.

Masuda is leading the game, so there is some Gamefreak involvement. Regardless, if this were a $20 game, I wouldn't mind it. I would be annoyed because they wasted a sinnoh remake on this, but at least it would be worth it. But I don't see how anyone can look at this and think it's worth $60.
But it just gets tiring how badly people want to blame GameFreak for all of Pokémon’s problems even when they largely took a back seat for this game to focus on LA.

I can’t fathom why you would say $20. Even the original Diamond and Pearl weren’t $20. You could argue that triple A Switch titles shouldn’t all be $60, but they are and this is no exception. Hard to discuss its worth when we know so little.

There's a lot of incorrect information here. Not only was Link's Awakening very well received, it sold 3 million+ copies in 10 days. Please remember Zelda games don't sell as much as pokemon. BOTW was the exception not the norm (The best selling non BOTW game is Twilight Princess which was shy of 9 mil).

And no remakes have ever sold 15 million over either. I doubt this would have outsold SwSh had it been a traditional remake.

But it just gets tiring how badly people want to blame GameFreak for all of Pokémon’s problems even when they largely took a back seat for this game to focus on LA.

I can’t fathom why you would say $20. Even the original Diamond and Pearl weren’t $20. You could argue that triple A Switch titles shouldn’t all be $60, but they are and this is no exception. Hard to discuss its worth when we know so little.

I think it's fair to blame Gamefreak considering Masuda obviously has a say in this. They could have easily turned this into an ORAS where it's half chibi or even make it look like Sword and Shield, but they didn't do that at all. They didn't even update the character models. They are not even implementing any modern features to this game at all. This is the lowest effort remake out there, and the fact that ORAS costs $20 less at launch then this game while looking miles better is the reason why the fandom is upset about this. You or anyone in here can't honestly say that this game should be worth $20 more than previous remakes when far less effort and content have been put into it. By the way, Diamond and Pearl were my first Pokemon games (like a lot of other pokemon players) and we've been waiting years for this. And this is what we got? It's not good enough.

I think it's fair to blame Gamefreak considering Masuda obviously has a say in this. They could have easily turned this into an ORAS where it's half chibi or even make it look like Sword and Shield, but they didn't do that at all. They didn't even update the character models. They are not even implementing any modern features to this game at all. This is the lowest effort remake out there, and the fact that ORAS costs $20 less at launch then this game while looking miles better is the reason why the fandom is upset about this. You or anyone in here can't honestly say that this game should be worth $20 more than previous remakes when far less effort and content have been put into it. By the way, Diamond and Pearl were my first Pokemon games (like a lot of other pokemon players) and we've been waiting years for this. And this is what we got? It's not good enough.
Dude chill. We don't know what features are there in the game. All we got was a introduction trailer. And as shown by that Austin video I shared, It's not as low effort as you think it is.

Dude chill. We don't know what features are there in the game. All we got was a introduction trailer. And as shown by that Austin video I shared, It's not as low effort as you think it is.

1614383680331.png

The top image are Sinnoh remakes due to be released at the end of the year. The bottom is Let's Go that was released 3 years ago. Tell me again why I shouldn't be frustrated that they (external developers and Masuda) somehow made a 2021 game look severely worse than a game that was released 3 years ago? Even Let's Go had character changes, something that they couldn't even bother to do this time. Let's Go will likely also have character customization as well. I will only take back my comments if the games cost between $20-30, but if it doesn't, then it can't be redeemed. And read the room. They're far more people annoyed over how bad this game looks than those defending it.

View attachment 140369
The top image are Sinnoh remakes due to be released at the end of the year. The bottom is Let's Go that was released 3 years ago. Tell me again why I shouldn't be frustrated that they (external developers and Masuda) somehow made a 2021 game look severely worse than a game that was released 3 years ago? Even Let's Go had character changes, something that they couldn't even bother to do this time. Let's Go will likely also have character customization as well. I will only take back my comments if the games cost between $20-30, but if it doesn't, then it can't be redeemed. And read the room. They're far more people annoyed over how bad this game looks than those defending it.
I don't need to read anything. My opinion is my own and I don't base it off what other people think. The above is not "worse" it's "different". It's very obviously a design choice. How you feel towards it is upto you. You clearly don't like it, which is completely fine. Persoanlly I prefer LGPE as well tho I think the chibis look adorable.

Furthermore more people disliked SwSh than they defended it on the internet as well and we saw how that turned out too. Pkmn fanbase is quite loud on the web when it comes to talking bout what they dislike. It's not new.

I don't need to read anything. My opinion is my own and I don't base it off what other people think. The above is not "worse" it's "different". It's very obviously a design choice. How you feel towards it is upto you. You clearly don't like it, which is completely fine. Persoanlly I prefer LGPE as well tho I think the chibis look adorable.

Furthermore more people disliked SwSh than they defended it on the internet as well and we saw how that turned out too. Pkmn fanbase is quite loud on the web when it comes to talking bout what they dislike. It's not new.

My argument falls upon a lot of points. One being the price of those games. Nintendo were called out for charging $60 for a remaster of Skywards Sword, and the Pokemon Company and Masuda deserved to be called out for doing the same with these games. I said it before, if they reduced the price by half, then my complaining will stop. But it's anti consumer to charge such an amount for a bare bones remake. Nintendo games go through the same thing and Gamefreak and TCPI should not be immune to it as well.

Lol poor Masuda. All he's gotta do is exist at this point and he gets blamed for literally everything like he's the sole decision maker or something. He's one man co-directing a game at a completely different company because he's familiar with it, not God or GameFreak itself.

I'll also agree that LGPE looks much better to me. I'm not a huge fan of the artstyle either. But me and several others said our bit about it and moved on or looked for things to get excited about. I'm personally still excited. We don't know everything about it yet and even if we did I'm not gonna bash the wrong company for it just because one man from there is working on it.

Also, expecting it to cost less than a DS game... I'm sorry, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment there. It's not gonna happen.

Lol poor Masuda. All he's gotta do is exist at this point and he gets blamed for literally everything like he's the sole decision maker or something. He's one man co-directing a game at a completely different company because he's familiar with it, not God or GameFreak itself.

I'll also agree that LGPE looks much better to me. I'm not a huge fan of the artstyle either. But me and several others said our bit about it and moved on or looked for things to get excited about. I'm personally still excited. We don't know everything about it yet and even if we did I'm not gonna bash the wrong company for it just because one man from there is working on it.

Also, expecting it to cost less than a DS game... I'm sorry, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment there. It's not gonna happen.

Of course i'm not expecting it because The Pokemon Company are completely anti-consumer :)
Anyway, I have said my part. I will see what happens with these games, but it will take a lot to convince me to get them. Time to move on though.

Last edited:
Jeez, I didn't expect my post to cause such a stir
Bro don't worry that stir was like maybe 1% related to your post.
I think I should clarify, I do not blame Go players at all. I meant that GF and TPC may have gotten a little too excited about the abundance of fans that were brought in from Go. For example, if Go never happened we would have never gotten LGPE and I think SWSH would may have had more time to develop properly. It is clear that a lot of care went into LGPE and since SWSH was released close to it I am inclined to believe that stripped attention away from the development of SWSH. Had GF calmed down, and maybe planned things a little better, things would have turned out differently (or maybe not lol). I guess what I am trying to say is that Go helped jumpstart a string of bad planning and decisions. It reminds me of people who win the lottery and go broke in a few years due to not being able to mange their new found wealth.
Hm, I can see where you're coming from on that. At the same time, though, I'm pretty sure that there was a quote out there about wanting to have a specific approach to developing LGPE and SwSh, where newer developers would get more practice on one team and more experienced developers would get to try newer things on the other. I think there's value in dedicating attention to multiple games and having goals for what it'll mean for the development team. I can't seem to find the quote anywhere, though, and ironically, while trying to find it, I did find a few sources mentioning a chunk of the staff that worked on both games, including some that worked on modeling, which just reinforces your point.

I was hoping the graphics would've grown on me after about 18 hours but I just can't get past how horrendous the overly-chibi models look. The real gut punch is they developed full-size models for the battle scenes, LGPE was, in my opinion, there perfect compromise between realistic proportions and staying somewhat true to the chibi models, and by extension, I liked that about Gen 6's design with XY and ORAS, in my opinion LGPE looks like they probably built it on the ORAS engine but revamped it for the Switch, both regions maintain their grid-shaped appearance but allow you to travel in eight directions, the models look approximately the same size and are consistent or even completely identical to the models shown in battle.

I just can't fathom who's bright idea this was. I would've been perfectly content if they built BDSP on either the SwSh engine or the LGPE engine, both games, in my opinion, for the most part looked great from a character design perspective. I just can't justify this step backwards in my head. I know there's nothing anyone can say to change it, and I don't think any game developer has essentially scrapped their game and rebuilt it due to announcement backlash, but WHY not just use the battle models in the overworld? It just doesn't make sense. LGPE were beautiful games and stayed true to the originals.

In ALL past games, whether I liked them or disliked it, I at least used to be able to say "I see what they were trying to do and it's a step in the right direction for the next title, it was a solid effort". But I just straight up hate the baby looking characters. The world itself looks good and looks a lot like ORAS or LGPE, but the characters man... Bleh.

You can for the most part separate the main series games since we went 3D with XY into two categories of character model designs:

First, the more realistic proportions, which started with SM and I believe SwSh was an extension of the SM engine.

And then the slightly more chibi models but still were aesthetically pleasing to look at, which started with XY and ORAS and I believe LGPE borrowed and expanded on the Gen 6 engine.

Both styles look good and I thought about what I'd prefer DP remakes to look like, and I would've preferred the LGPE style, but what they gave us was overboard.

I'll still buy BD, but I was hoping for a game good enough that I'd buy both, and I don't think this is gonna be it. BD is just to hold me out until Legends Arceus, which is the REAL Sinnoh game we all came and stayed for.

View attachment 140369

This post, and those screenshots, entirely encompasses my point precisely. LGPE were such beautiful games and gave you that "true to the originals, but a breath of fresh air and a really clean new look" feeling. BDSP doesn't do that for me, not at all.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom