• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

The art style is actually not that bad if it was on a smaller handheld screen like the 3DS and made 10 years ago. Honestly it's shocking how much of a regression this is. It looks on par with XY.

It's worse. XY looked good for it's time and I believe that engine became the basis for LGPE, very similar map design to ORAS and character proportions to XY/ORAS.

This is, as many have said, a straight up, 1:1, HD DS game, this is literally Diamond and Pearl with an HD refresh and, at this time, nothing more that we know of, and it's disappointing. I'm losing faith in TPCi and Game Freak's ability to handle the demand for remakes, they set the bar so high with FRLG and HGSS, that every remake since has been more and more of a disappointment, ORAS were, for the most part, great games, but lacked some obvious fan-favorite features, which wasn't such a big deal.

LGPE took more steps backwards by omitting more features like Abilities, held items, EVs, any Pokemon outside of the Kanto Dex minus the Meltan line for Go integration, but at least graphically speaking, that game was gorgeous and in my opinion looks better than SwSh at times.

I was hoping Game Freak would FINALLY see the backlash from ORAS and LGPE omitting basic features and give us the HGSS treatment and go above and beyond and give us all the meat and potatoes: Platinum Pokedex and story integration (just like HGSS got with Crystal), the Sinnoh Battle Frontier, contests, underground, the villa.

Basically, I was hoping we'd get Platinum, split into two games, and given either the LGPE graphical treatment or even the SwSh treatment, but what we got was so, SO disappointing. If it weren't for the Legends Arceus reveal immediately after, I would've left that Pokemon Presents so depressed.

We have only ONE trailer, and it basically says: "Yes, those are a thing, and here's the artstyle". Keep your pessimism at bay and stop complaining until we have more information.
Please remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion. You may see it as complaining, others see it as valid criticism.

We have only ONE trailer, and it basically says: "Yes, those are a thing, and here's the artstyle". Keep your pessimism at bay and stop complaining until we have more information.

The art style is not something that they will change so I don't see how inappropriate it is to gripe about the game's art style with this ONE trailer.

More info? It is a remake, not a new game. They arent gonna add ton of features. Besides a first trailer can make or break it for people.

View attachment 140369
The top image are Sinnoh remakes due to be released at the end of the year. The bottom is Let's Go that was released 3 years ago. Tell me again why I shouldn't be frustrated that they (external developers and Masuda) somehow made a 2021 game look severely worse than a game that was released 3 years ago? Even Let's Go had character changes, something that they couldn't even bother to do this time. Let's Go will likely also have character customization as well. I will only take back my comments if the games cost between $20-30, but if it doesn't, then it can't be redeemed. And read the room. They're far more people annoyed over how bad this game looks than those defending it.

I like LGPE, but not everywhere in the game looks as good as Viridian Forest. And that location comes with a trade-off because as nice as Viridian Forest looks, the game starts to chuuuuuuuuug when you’re there

Whether we have the Platinum Dex or not, Giratina story elements or not, Battle Frontier or not, doesn't matter when the art style sucks, now, does it? There's a ton of unknown variables with these games yet, that much is true, but the art style isn't one of them, and it objectively sucks.

But let me put it another way, if you had to buy BDSP or Legends Arceus, and you could only buy one, which would you be buying? Most people would answer Legends Arceus, I know I would. I'm in a financial situation where I really don't give a crap if I'm blowing $60 on a game that probably doesn't deserve it, but for a lot of people, this art style and blatant corner-cutting is a turn off and they won't be buying the game, because why would they? They can experience a much fresher Sinnoh journey a few months after BDSP come out.

These games deserve all the flak they're gonna get. They could've been just as lazy and rehashed LGPE's engine and probably received a lot less criticism. Nobody really complained about LGPE looking bad, the game looked great, people complained about the absence of obvious staple features like Abilities, held items, EVs, and Pokemon being cut. If LGPE had all of those, more connectivity with Home and/or Gen 7 games, a National Dex (being that the number of Pokemon only increased by 2 from USUM), I think LGPE would've been 10/10 remakes. These fall way short of that.

I think it's about time to bring up this set of criteria I made for judging 3D video game cutscenes. I believe that it's not the graphics that are important, but what you do with them, and what we've seen of BDSP so far looks less dynamic than some DS games.

Attachments

• Phantom Hourglass threshold.png
    Phantom Hourglass threshold.png
    403 KB · Views: 88
The art style is not something that they will change so I don't see how inappropriate it is to gripe about the game's art style with this ONE trailer.
I am not talking about the art style, I'm talking about how people say that the DP remakes are going to be trash with only one trailer available to the public, or in other words: "Judging a book by its cover". When the games are out we can critisisce as much as we like.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this is a hard pass for me. I hope people who buy the games will enjoy them and have a good time. I really wish I could be excited for them, too.

I honestly don't value graphical quality highly enough to deter me from buying a game if it has good content or a fun gameplay loop, but what I do value is the visual direction. While impressive graphics cannot always save a game with poor direction, a good visual direction can absolutely elevate a game that might have poor or outdated graphics. That's often what makes certain games age poorly and others age well.

The visual direction and style of these games is a disaster in my eyes. It's inconsistent and it simply looks ugly and low effort. I sincerely doubt there will be any major improvements by the time the games release. Even if there are, I can't see how they could resolve the inconsistency issue without a fundamental overhaul.

Gameplay wise, they will probably be decent games since DP were pretty good at their core and I'm sure BDSP will have improvements on issues that dragged DP down. Alas, with these games looking more like a remaster and less like a remake I have no reason to play them when I still have access to the original games (or better yet, I can still play Platinum). Whatever new content they might have, if any, is unlikely to be worth it for me. On a more positive note, I'm excited to hear the remastered soundtrack, but I don't need to play the games in order to enjoy that.

I have to admit that I feel genuinely sad and upset over this. Sinnoh and Gen 4 mean a lot to me. They are not at the very top of my list, but they are very high up there in second place, right behind Hoenn/Gen 3 and Unova/Gen 5, and hold a lot of importance to me. I wanted traditional remakes even if that meant dealing with some SWSH elements I dislike. This is entirely subjective, but for me what we got is probably the worst case scenario and I just wanted to express how utterly sad and disappointed I am. I'll move on eventually, but for now it's really painful.

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain modern cries will be used, and Pikachu and Eevee will say their names. Also, I for one, definitely do not love the fact that Pikachu says its name. I'd say I feel the exact opposite of love...

I prefer the sound Eevee makes in Go
And Pikachu says it's name is weird.

The experience for all was only for the pokemon that partaked in the battle. That didn't start till Gen 8.

Yes, but not for defensively. Then it takes more time to calculate weaknesses.

To take more time calculating weaknesses.

Because Go fans can't just check Bulbapedia or Serebii?
I.am a Go fan and dual types were easy for me to understand. They have been there since Gen I and I used to.watch the anime as a kid.

Well, I for one am excited. Love the design, definitely an interesting take. I'm all for it. Looking forward to the Dex, most of all. I wonder how much of an expansion they ll give to it. Im fairly confident they ll use the Platinum expansion as the basis, cause obviously the DP original dex was lacking. I know there isn't a lot of room for adding pokémon to the Pt dex, other than maybe some regional variants and Mr. Rime, but having Fairy types will already balance the game a lot more and potentially make Cynthia's Garchomp less of an overwhelming threat.

In any case, I am very much looking forward to it. I may have been there for Gen I 20 years ago, but Gen IV was always my favourite, so I'm glad we're getting those games.

The names for the remakes are very unimaginative. This is the equivalent of OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire being LandRuby and WaterSapphire, instead.

I would have loved something like EternalDiamond and InfinitePearl. Brilliant and Shining literally mean the same thing with the only difference being that one has Latinate roots and the other Germanic roots.

The names for the remakes are very unimaginative. This is the equivalent of OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire being LandRuby and WaterSapphire, instead.

I would have loved something like EternalDiamond and InfinitePearl. Brilliant and Shining literally mean the same thing with the only difference being that one has Latinate roots and the other Germanic roots.
FRLG:
f63ed4353608ac2c6080fdafedd60865.png

Forgive me for being doubtful that the graphics will improve when practically all the defenders of Sword and Shield's graphics said the same thing before it released. I know that companies can change--and Game Freak clearly is with Pokemon Legends--but I don't think the graphics will change. Say what you will about the style of SWSH, but things such as the ridiculous pop-in and some low-quality textures are simply not excusable today.

With the remakes, they honestly don't need much. A lighting change and some cel-shading would do wonders with the overall presentation. Even with that, I just don't see the value for the remakes, regardless of what improvements they make. All of the other remakes had some major improvements and additions to justify returning, save for Let's Go, which was deliberately marketed towards newcomers of the series that had previously played Go.

Here? They've already said multiple times they want to be faithful to the originals, which, for a new company, is probably good. They've practically said that we shouldn't expect new content. Maybe improvements, which would convince me to bite if they were in the right areas. Even with those, the game will surely cost $60, a little quirk of Nintendo's dominance in the market and the consumers' unfailing wallets. I don't blame Nintendo--I blame everyone else for accepting the price for other games like Link's Awakening, which was great, but not $60 great.

Look, I'm happy that my favorite generation is going to get played by a new audience. They'll be able to experience the same story, same world, and hopefully the same challenge I did when I was young. But with this trailer and what they have announced so far, I think there is little of value for veterans. It's like Let's Go in that regard, I suppose. At least this time they aren't stripping away mechanics. And, honestly, the games do still hold up save for the Pokedex and HMs, and the lack of online connectivity in current year. Hopefully those few things are improved, for everyone else's sake.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom