• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

The character models are goofy but they don't look too bad when the camera angle remains bird's eye. It's only when the angle shifts so we can see their face head-on that they look dumb.

Honestly, we don't really know that much about these games yet so there isn't much to speculate about in the first place.

Yeah, as much as I love Mega Lucario, please no. Just...no. There's no way they'll make more. They didn't make any more for LGPE. Don't bring something clearly made for Kanto nostalgia into Sinnoh. Maybe if it weren't seen until the endgame, sure, but why keep bringing Megas into the side games when they won't be in the main games going forward?

Unfortunately, this is a hard pass for me. I hope people who buy the games will enjoy them and have a good time. I really wish I could be excited for them, too.

I honestly don't value graphical quality highly enough to deter me from buying a game if it has good content or a fun gameplay loop, but what I do value is the visual direction. While impressive graphics cannot always save a game with poor direction, a good visual direction can absolutely elevate a game that might have poor or outdated graphics. That's often what makes certain games age poorly and others age well.

The visual direction and style of these games is a disaster in my eyes. It's inconsistent and it simply looks ugly and low effort. I sincerely doubt there will be any major improvements by the time the games release. Even if there are, I can't see how they could resolve the inconsistency issue without a fundamental overhaul.

Gameplay wise, they will probably be a decent games since DP were pretty good at their core and I'm sure BDSP will have improvements to issues that dragged DP down. Alas, with these games looking more like a remaster and less like a remake I have no reason to play them when I still have access to the original games (or better yet, I can still play Platinum). Whatever new content they might have, if any, is unlikely to be worth it for me. On a more positive note, I'm excited to hear the remastered soundtrack, but I don't need to play the games in order to enjoy that.

I have to admit that I feel genuinely sad and upset over this. Sinnoh and Gen 4 mean a lot to me. They are not at the very top of my list, but they are very high up there in second place, right behind Hoenn/Gen 3 and Unova/Gen 5, and hold a lot of importance to me. I wanted traditional remakes even if that meant dealing with some SWSH elements I dislike. This is entirely subjective, but for me what we got is probably the worst case scenario and I just wanted to express how utterly sad and disappointed I am. I'll move on eventually, but for now it's really painful.
This perfectly sums up everything I think about the game, I pass

Well, that's that. The last games which could've brought this fandom together have been marred by controversy from the get-go. It's over. Pack it up. The Pokemon fandom is dead. Pour one out for what was once a great community. :cry:

...and now that that's been firmly established, I can finally stop caring about everyone else's opinions and focus on how I feel about the games, and...well, the art direction's not what I expected, and I'm kind of disappointed that these seem to be more of a "remaster" of the Gen IV games instead of a true "remake." I'll admit, I was hoping for a LGPE/SwSh-style game with updated character designs and all that, but frankly, I don't think the games look UGLY or anything; in fact, they look kind of cute. I do see some improvements that could be made, but after SwSh, I don't expect those improvements to happen, so I won't even bother bringing them up.

My main concern, like many others, is how much the games will take from Platinum. We've already got confirmation of the Underground and the expanded Pokedex, but what about the Distortion World, the various aesthetic improvements and extra story content, and Fantina's Gym? Will those be cut out/regressed back to their DP versions for the sake of "authenticity?"

At any rate, I'm not exactly rushing to buy these games; if they turn out to be disappointing, I've aways got Platinum. But I'm not angry, either. I just find the whole thing hilarious at this point. The most universally anticipated games among the fandom...and they managed to make people angry right from the start anyways! The people behind this franchise are agents of chaos, I swear. :ROFLMAO:

The character models are goofy but they don't look too bad when the camera angle remains bird's eye. It's only when the angle shifts so we can see their face head-on that they look dumb.

I felt the same way about Gen 6's graphics. Chibi models only really work for me when viewed from above. A better way to make them expressive would be to give each important character a special animation, but keep the camera in its usual position, like in Gen 5.

What a debacle - the real Game Freak has returned! I was believing that GameFreak and its related studios somehow turned the corner and started to take a serious approach to developing remakes, but I was wrong. Also there's no way I gonna pay 60$ for these remakes. It's sad because I have waited so long for this, I just replayed my Pearl version 2 months ago. It's basically the same 2007 games with better ghrapics, so I'm going to save some money and buy Breath of the Wild 2 next year. I did buy my Switch in December 2018, and so far Zelda BOTW has been the best game I've played by a long shot, and it seems that this isn't gonna change this year. Pokemon Legend in the other hand looks awesome, and I'll keep my eye on it. I was so excited to see how they'd develop the Barry (Allen? Sure Barry could be the Flash XD) running animation, but at this point I don't hold any positive feelings toward these games.

At any rate, I'm not exactly rushing to buy these games; if they turn out to be disappointing, I've aways got Platinum. But I'm not angry, either. I just find the whole thing hilarious at this point. The most universally anticipated games among the fandom...and they managed to make people angry right from the start anyways! The people behind this franchise are agents of chaos, I swear. :ROFLMAO:
At this point, I feel that no matter what they do, this will be the result. E.g.: My... reaction to Legends existing.

I don't have anything to say to this. I don't even have a reaction gif. All I have is an inexplicable, unstoppable rage at this statement.

Ok, perhaps that was hyperbolic. I'm sorry. What I meant to say is, "the hope that this fandom will ever be united and at peace is now dead."

How I feel reading most of these comments:
14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

Wow this is really disappointing. DPPT are still very playable on DS or 3DS, why make the exact same game. If anything it looks less pleasing than the originals. Virtual console would have been better than this. What a disappointment for the one remake Sinnoh games will get, all other remakes got additional content, extremely updated graphics, and were to the quality of the games of that generation. It has been a really long time since a Pokemon game looked this poor visually. And then they follow it up with an amazing looking game, although I'm not so sure I'm as excited about the content it appears to be a much better announcement. Why could they not just make the Sinnoh remakes in those graphics. No one wanted a faithful one-to-one game, we can still play the originals!
They can't do a virtual console because they'd have to change the dual screen functionality developed for one hardware device to the single-screen one on the Switch, which might take more effort and result in a more buggy experience than simply rebuilding DP from the ground-up. That's probably the only reason we got these remakes.

Whether we have the Platinum Dex or not, Giratina story elements or not, Battle Frontier or not, doesn't matter when the art style sucks, now, does it? There's a ton of unknown variables with these games yet, that much is true, but the art style isn't one of them, and it objectively sucks.

But let me put it another way, if you had to buy BDSP or Legends Arceus, and you could only buy one, which would you be buying? Most people would answer Legends Arceus, I know I would. I'm in a financial situation where I really don't give a crap if I'm blowing $60 on a game that probably doesn't deserve it, but for a lot of people, this art style and blatant corner-cutting is a turn off and they won't be buying the game, because why would they? They can experience a much fresher Sinnoh journey a few months after BDSP come out.

These games deserve all the flak they're gonna get. They could've been just as lazy and rehashed LGPE's engine and probably received a lot less criticism. Nobody really complained about LGPE looking bad, the game looked great, people complained about the absence of obvious staple features like Abilities, held items, EVs, and Pokemon being cut. If LGPE had all of those, more connectivity with Home and/or Gen 7 games, a National Dex (being that the number of Pokemon only increased by 2 from USUM), I think LGPE would've been 10/10 remakes. These fall way short of that.
The weird chibi art-style is definitely a minus, but it isn't the main issue:
My main concern, like many others, is how much the games will take from Platinum. We've already got confirmation of the Underground and the expanded Pokedex, but what about the Distortion World, the various aesthetic improvements and extra story content, and Fantina's Gym? Will those be cut out/regressed back to their DP versions for the sake of "authenticity?"
I think things like not using the Platinum regional dex would be a much bigger issue, as it shows that Masuda is willing to ignore improvements made to the originals simply because it wasn't in the initial release. I understand that he directed the originals and not Platinum, but his doubling down on questionable decisions and not taking into account criticism in a healthy manner is only going to make him look even worse, possibly resulting in another hospital incident like when he was working on Ruby and Sapphire. I get saving face for one's reputation is a big thing in Japan, but so is being humble. At this point, Masuda being this stubborn is pretty much the opposite of those values in the eyes of many fans.

The chibi graphics look cute, if not a bit awkward.

I'm concerned about Pokemon availability though in the sense it'll be the same as the original Diamond and Pearl. I'd like to use a Scyther, but it was post game in Diamond and not available in Pearl and of course the lack of fire types. Stuff like that is my only concern.

I'm on a "wait and see" position for now though I confess I dislike the art style and am overall skeptical after OR/AS.

Well, that's that. The last games which could've brought this fandom together have been marred by controversy from the get-go. It's over. Pack it up. The Pokemon fandom is dead. Pour one out for what was once a great community. :cry:
Legends seems to be getting pretty great early reception from what I've seen, but if you're asking for universal praise that's never going to happen in a large enough group.

Guys, we saw one trailer. One.

I agree. Right on the head. We need more info to better judge the games. While I have mixed feelings about these games off the bat, as they may turn out the way I'm dreading, I'm going to be cautiously optimistic and wait until further information is revealed. And it didn't stop me from going to GameStop today to reserve Brilliant Diamond and Legends, so I'm gonna wait until I get more information before I make any concrete judgments.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom