• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I personally dislike the whole National Dex controversy. In the sense that its removal doesn't bother me. It was bound to happen eventually.
I have never liked this argument. It wasn’t inevitable. Pokemon were cut for time reasons, and now we have a good percentage of the national dex back. My hope is that DP will add the remaining mons and a patch to swsh can make those mons available to swsh.

We've only seen one trailer. Jumping to conclusions this early will only make you jaded and pessimistic.
All opinions are valid, no matter how much we’ve seen. Opinions can also change as more information is released.

Me too. The fact that there was a National Dex in the original Diamond and Pearl gives me hope in this "faithful remake." But I would like the National Dex to go all the way up to Calyrex, not Arceus. Has anyone compared the battle models and animations in the trailer to Sword and Shield? We know the overworld models have shrunk to nostalgic minifigures, but what about the battle models? How easily can they import Sword and Shield Pokémon into Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl?
If I were a betting woman, I’d bet my last coin that only gen 1-4 Pokémon are going to be included in these games, with minor exceptions like Slyveon. Per the Presents:
In these games, you can enjoy grand adventure together with all the Pokémon from Pokémon Diamond version and Pokémon Pearl version.
I’d even go as far as to say that only Pokémon present in Platinum have a decent chance of being included in these games, so no National Pokédex. The reason being is that this seems to be a more closed-off game like LGPE, where the only ‘mons that could be brought into the game were from GO. However, BDSP aren’t tied to GO in the same way that LGPE was (that we know of), and I highly doubt SWSH and Legends will have compatibility for obvious reasons. Therefore, I think it’s unlikely that we’ll see the National Pokédex because there’ll be no other compatible games with which to trade with.

Tell me I'm not the only one who finds the hands in the overworld models uncanny
IMG_20210227_192721.jpg

The more I look at the overworld the more I keep thinking I’d looking at one of those kitchsy collectibles. You know, the ones that come in poly bags and also have that one big set like a house or something you can play with them in.

The more I look into those chibi characters, the more they resemble lego figures. I've been playing some lego games, and the design doesn't seem that far off.
As someone who has been playing with Lego and Lego Games for years I’d say they look closer to the Duplo figures as opposed to traditional mini figs.

Tell me I'm not the only one who finds the hands in the overworld models uncanny View attachment 140421
God, they look terrible. I know a lot of people have been conditioned into thinking graphics don't matter, but there has to be a limit. I don't expect state of the art graphics, but i expect better than this.

I'm still gonna wait for more information before i make a full judgment, but overall first impressions have been extremely underwhelming, and i'm really disappointed.

We've only seen one trailer. Jumping to conclusions this early will only make you jaded and pessimistic.

Anyways, I don't think that people pointing out how let down they are counts as them 'jumping to conclusions' at least. We have a trailer that gives us an overview of what the map and battles will look like so why do people need to wait for further info before sharing their views on that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Even the names lack effort, plenty of the fan names have more thought and effort put into them.

We started off basic, Fire was Red and Leaves are Green.
Then we got a little more elaborate with hearts of gold (a common phrase) and the silver souls were added on to match I guess. Plus the designs of ho oh and lugia as a heart and a soul.
The best remake names were OmegaRuby Alpha Sapphire, both linking into the story elements of beginning and end, and pairing with XY both in terms of Life/Death and also XY were letters, Omega/Alpha are greek letters.

But Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl? They're even more basic than FRLG, and Brilliant and Shining aren't even really related to each other and don't really describe Diamonds and pearls. I mean Shining Diamond could've possibly worked, "shine bright like a diamond" or ok then Bright DIamond even.
You've never heard of a brilliant cut diamond?

Anyways, I don't think that people pointing out how let down they are counts as them 'jumping to conclusions' at least. We have a trailer that gives us an overview of what the map and battles will look like so why do people need to wait for further info before sharing their views on that?

As a bystander of sorts in this thread, my interpretation was that it's less about their initial thoughts and opinions and the general pessimism about the game far beyond "graphics".

Since it looks like nobody is actually veering towards actual hate (besides a few ... unpleasant posts here and there that seem to have stopped already) it's still somewhat healthy, but there are a lot of people that seem to take an unnecessarily harsh stance on the game.

In this very thread people have said these games are / will be:
- the death of the Pokémon fandom
- crap
- a laughing stock
- an exact 1:1 copy because they said "faithful remake" in the Presents (when the website only said they'd preserve the story and sense of scale and it could easily be a way to differentiate between the Let's Go style remakes)
- something something dumbing down the games something something

That's being very pessimistic when all you know about the game is how it looks.

I'm not saying it'll get better or that you have to like what's been shown or that you have to be "grateful" the games are coming out.

It's OK to not like what's been presented, I myself don't really like the way they did the chibi artstyle.

It's OK to speculate, and to a certain extent I do agree with the opinion a lot of people are having that we'll likely have a conservative game.

It's not only OK but even encouraged to not buy stuff you don't like - vote with your money!

But if you make harsh speculations without evidence to back up why you think that will be the case and/or try to pass off your opinion as a fact (as has happened multiple times in this thread), people will disagree with you and will consider it baseless criticism.

Did they? All I remember from the lead-up to ORAS is praise and excitement. Mind you, I wasn't such a frequent visitor of Pokemon forums back then...

I can't speak about the reaction here because I wasn't here when ORAS was the current game but elsewhere the main complaint I've seen about ORAS was that it lacks a Battle Frontier. I've seen some people say it was made easier too. Not my opinions mind you. Unpopular opinion here but I never cared much about battle facilities in general, though I can see why people like them and I think it's a valid complaint.

It's literally been just one trailer. There will be more trailers with more new features revealed eventually.

They care calling it a faithful remake, which is scary.
Why would I play the same game again? I already have Platinum.
And the art style isn't good. Barry looks like plastic and why is Dawn that short? Can you imagine Cynthia or Cyrus like that?

After ORAS I was left with a slightly odd taste in the mouth that I could've just played Emerald again and then transferred my mons up. All I got extra from ORAS was Deoxys and a few new megas. At the expense of the Battle Frontier and the twin plot of fighting both villain teams, getting all 3 legends.

Then when LGPE came out, I wasn't as torn anymore, FRLG were to me at least far better games with far more content.

Now looking to BDSP, I'm not sure I will get them. I have Platinum, I also have a DS AR allowing me to get the 4 event items for the mythicals, so what do I get from playing BDSP instead? I'm not even sure there will be a legit Arceus, I think they've removed the Hall of Origin event entirely and passed him over to his own game.

Pokemon Legends Arecus is clearly the game they wanted to make, BDSP were an afterthought.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom