• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

After ORAS I was left with a slightly odd taste in the mouth that I could've just played Emerald again and then transferred my mons up. All I got extra from ORAS was Deoxys and a few new megas. At the expense of the Battle Frontier and the twin plot of fighting both villain teams, getting all 3 legends.

Then when LGPE came out, I wasn't as torn anymore, FRLG were to me at least far better games with far more content.

Now looking to BDSP, I'm not sure I will get them. I have Platinum, I also have a DS AR allowing me to get the 4 event items for the mythicals, so what do I get from playing BDSP instead? I'm not even sure there will be a legit Arceus, I think they've removed the Hall of Origin event entirely and passed him over to his own game.

Pokemon Legends Arecus is clearly the game they wanted to make, BDSP were an afterthought.

Did they? All I remember from the lead-up to ORAS is praise and excitement. Mind you, I wasn't such a frequent visitor of Pokemon forums back then...

There was some optimism, but also some confusion on how much was changed. The initial press release made it sound like it might be a sequel which got people excited, but then as concrete information came out it became more and more apparent that it was a faithful remake and not much was improved. Then when it was revealed that there was no Battle Frontier and that infamous Masuda interview came out, the outrage reached a fever pitch. So yeah, there was optimism turned to concern turned to outrage.

If I were a betting woman, I’d bet my last coin that only gen 1-4 Pokémon are going to be included in these games, with minor exceptions like Slyveon. Per the Presents:

I’d even go as far as to say that only Pokémon present in Platinum have a decent chance of being included in these games, so no National Pokédex. The reason being is that this seems to be a more closed-off game like LGPE, where the only ‘mons that could be brought into the game were from GO. However, BDSP aren’t tied to GO in the same way that LGPE was (that we know of), and I highly doubt SWSH and Legends will have compatibility for obvious reasons. Therefore, I think it’s unlikely that we’ll see the National Pokédex because there’ll be no other compatible games with which to trade with.
While you could be correct, the fact that they have a more main series type name gives me hope it’ll be closer to FRLG than let’s go. Iirc, FRLG was pretty faithful to the original games, only allowed you to catch kanto pokemon during thd game... but did include all gen 2 and 3 pokemon that could be traded from rse.

It’s admitted a very small hope, but i’ll take any ray of hope right now.

One YouTuber complained that being a 1 for 1 faithful remake would mean all the glitches from the original Diamond and Pearl would be present in the remakes. But I don't see that likely because it's a different engine with 3D battles and a few minor changes. It's more likely that they'll keep all the good stuff faithful. No GBA slot on the switch so they can't implement the Pal Park or Dual Slot mode.
As soon as Gen IX hits, that will be the case.
Following the pattern of remakes, it would be Generation X that Unova would be remade. FireRed and LeafGreen was one generation late in the pattern, but every other remake with HeartGold/SoulSilver, Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and now Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl are made in generations that are doubled their original generation.
2 x 2 = 4 HGSS
3 x 2 = 6 ORAS
4 x 2 = 8 BDSP
5 x 2 = 10 BW remakes.

DP had roughly 400 Pokemon available without transfers, thanks to the post-game locations, PokeRadar and Swarms. I would think they wouldn't change that, but honestly, I don't see these games being popular competitively (nor do I expect a Battle Frontier). So whatever.

Was the original Diamond Pearl downloadable on the Nintendo eShop? 3DS?
No DS game was downloadable on the 3DS. Some were on the Wii U (like the Ranger games), but not any of the core Pokemon games.

One YouTuber complained that being a 1 for 1 faithful remake would mean all the glitches from the original Diamond and Pearl

Unless they were being sarcastic, I really have to wonder where this hyperliteral definition of “faithful” suddenly came from. I have never seen it used to mean “exactly identical in every way,” but this fandom seems to be taking it to mean that.

One YouTuber complained that being a 1 for 1 faithful remake would mean all the glitches from the original Diamond and Pearl would be present in the remakes. But I don't see that likely because it's a different engine with 3D battles and a few minor changes. It's more likely that they'll keep all the good stuff faithful. No GBA slot on the switch so they can't implement the Pal Park or Dual Slot mode.

Following the pattern of remakes, it would be Generation X that Unova would be remade. FireRed and LeafGreen was one generation late in the pattern, but every other remake with HeartGold/SoulSilver, Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and now Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl are made in generations that are doubled their original generation.
2 x 2 = 4 HGSS
3 x 2 = 6 ORAS
4 x 2 = 8 BDSP
5 x 2 = 10 BW remakes.
I think that will be broken because otherwise Gen 9 will be just the base pair and DLC.

I personally dislike the whole National Dex controversy. In the sense that its removal doesn't bother me. It was bound to happen eventually.
That argument makes sense on paper in a theoretical sense but, in practice it falls apart considering how fast TPC was able to crank out 721+ models in HD within the budget of a 3ds release. If they were going to cut the dex there were better ways to go about it such as simply not having pokemon Home exist at all (so collectors could just have a natural end point instead of choosing whether or not to 16 bucks a year to store pokemon they have no idea when will actually be useful) or simply waiting until Switch's successor and warning people ahead of time so people would have one last hurrah in the HD that the models were future proofed for.
BOTH they should have done both

Unless they were being sarcastic, I really have to wonder where this hyperliteral definition of “faithful” suddenly came from. I have never seen it used to mean “exactly identical in every way,” but this fandom seems to be taking it to mean that.
IKR? Don't they see the 3D, the Sword/Shield battling, the diagonal movement, and everything that sets them apart from the original games?

Was the original Diamond Pearl downloadable on the Nintendo eShop? 3DS?
Okay I think there's a lot of younger people that never played D/P/P before. So I still predict good financial success.

My main hope right now is Melmetal is in the Pokedex and transferrable, would love to sweep through the game with a level 15 Melmetal and such.

I can’t tell if people liking this means that they agree with me or that they just like my enthusiasm.
Sincere like from my part. ORAS > Emerald any day.
Well, the Moon: Remix RPG Adventure remake for the Switch was remade from the ground up, glitches and all. I think they lost the code or something and that prevented them from making a straight port, but it is the exception, not the rule.

...Unless you count the stats in CTR. I still can't believe they didn't fix that...

Pre-release, I don't remember ORAS having this level of pessimism. The complaints I remember were on extremely minor stuff, like "ewww may looks girlier now she sucks" or "why is brendan tan now", and worries about the game's difficulty after XY. ORAS post-game and SwSh/dexit controversies have probably made people a lot more worried about the final product we're getting.

Also, some thoughts after a day (apologies if they're rambly, allergies have started and I'm really woozy right now)

Looking at the overworld a bit more, it honestly does look like an improvement over the original to me. The textures just seem to mesh a lot better and have some nice shading to them. Looking at it side-by side, it's a clear improvement, imo. The 1:1 thing is eh, I'm neutral on it. Sinnoh was a pretty nice region to begin with, so it's not a total gut punch to me.

Having styles similar to the OG games isn't too unusual either for a remake (like with LttP or HM:FoMT). Would I have liked a SwSh style Sinnoh? Heck yeah. Am I disappointed? Also yes, but I'm alright with this alternative.

Are we going to get new content in these games? Probably. GameFreak has made some wack decisions before (yes I know they're not developing it), but I think any company is aware they'd lose a ton of sales by not doing so.
if the characters and underground make it in intact, i've already got what I wanted from the start :wynaut:

I do hope in the final version, they will make cel-shading which will be a blast to my eyes if it ever occurs.

Example of how the characters would look more like,

154075291-10218754178872964-1867647554495261787-n.jpg
:lapras::confused::eek:

My literal only complaint with this game would have been avoided if they had gone with that, oh my god. Like, I've been pretty meh about cel shading before, thinking it was kind of a weird aesthetic choice, but damn, that is a huge improvement. They don't even look like the same models!

Short wish-list (more to come)

1. Give Volkner his Platinum team
2. Give Flint his Platinum team
The double battle against them in the Battle Frontier was awesome. Platinum added some neat stuff that made the Sinnoh cast so endearing to me (like that double battle, the Maylene/Candice stuff in Snowpoint, the Villa, the Battleground), that it would honestly break my heart if none of it made it into the remake.

The Gracidea girl existing in Floaroma makes me optimistic, since it's an indicator that Masuda has at least considered that Platinum exists.

They care calling it a faithful remake, which is scary.
Why would I play the same game again? I already have Platinum.
And the art style isn't good. Barry looks like plastic and why is Dawn that short? Can you imagine Cynthia or Cyrus like that?
Aside from some small details the graphics will look the same, so don't expect anything good on that regard. Honestly I got a feeling they didn't treat these games as if they were mainline ones, but as something secundary. Had they used the same Sword and Shield style with some improvements here and there I'd be praising them and purchasing a copy at this very moment. I don't play pokemon because of the graphics, but there should be a limit. This chibi thing is atrocious IMO. Now, let's see which features will be in, and to be honest it wouldn't surprise at all if the battle frontier end up being left behind. They knew the fanbase was asking for these games for a long time, this is why I think they'd try their best to develop a great game. Most here weren't asking for something perfect like Breath of the Wild, we were asking for a good game with decent graphics and art styles, with some new feature (Megas, Z-Moves, whatever). Is it too much to ask for?

Last edited:
LGPE say hi. Generation IX could accommodate a Legends game for Kanto and Johto around the 30th anniversary. A compilation of RGBY, GSC, FRLG and HGSS would be much nicer than remakes.
Most people are saying that the 30th anniversary is when Gen 10 will come out.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom